Options

Go find the new STEAM Thread!

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    Time for fabulous prizes!

signature.png
    Goes to @Cpugeek13
    Except... you already own Bioshock 2. Bad monkey! That's gonna be a re-roll.

signature.png
    Goes to @ToyD

signature.png
    Goes to @DudemanX

signature.png
    Goes to @Junpei

signature.png
    Had no entries, so... I guess I'm gonna sit on it for a while. Apparently there's nobody left alive that doesn't own Portal 1. :)
    I will find a home for it, eventually. Oh yes.

Also, @Lawndart, I'm loving your themed giveaways. A tip of the top hat to you, sir

Oh sorry, I haven't played through the first game actually. Its alright though, its not like i'm at a lack of games to play lately anyway :-P

I have learned recently that there are inherent problems with Steamgifts and multipacks. :)
    When it comes to these things I'd rather the win to go someone who hasn't played and needs both. Sorry!

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    :: Ashe's Antidote :: (...to post-Sale doldrums)

'Tis Friday! And with the thread all working together to fight off those post-Sale blues, let's keep that theme going. This is a mini-version of @ElderlyCrawfish 's classy contest collection. with the bits and bobs I stashed during the sale ready for a day like today. I can't promise super-expensive AAA list titles, as I'm perpetually broke, but hopefully these are what people consider cheap n cheerful gems and classics!

Usual rules apply - active members only please. Instead of first come, first serve, though, I'll accept all entries for a day or so and then random-number the winner from those who are correct. Less time-pressure to get 'em answered that way, and easier for those in a different time-zone than I to get involved. Also, there will be three rounds can I say one entry per round, please? Ideally it'd be great to have a different winner for each game. Anyway, enough of my babbling... You want anagrams, right? You want the occasional weird cryptic clue thrown in too? Well have at 'em!

Round One, ding-ding:

1) Rat or owl meat

2) Horny geese jolt nut

3) Big Bopper's classic isn't about a pair of capitals

Apologies if they are crap, too easy, too difficult (I'm placing bets on @Taramoor nailing all three of them within two hours). There will be a few more tomorrow!

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular
    Wow Test, thanks for being super classy!

Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ys: Oath In Felghana is today's daily

Can someone describe it to me? What's the combat like? What does the trailer mean by no healing items? Is it the kind of game you need a controller for?

Ys Oath in Felghana is an isometric perspective Action RPG with light platforming elements. Combat involves 3 varieties of magic, charged up or non-charged, to taste, and a whole lot of sword-slinging.

You play as man's man Adol Christin, who, fresh off saving both the island of Esteria from demons and also the legendary floating land of Ys from additional, supplementary demons by the age of 18, has traveled to the land of Felghana because this man got no time for settling down, only saving more fucking countries, because he IS the hero. He is accompanied by his partner Dogi, a thief who doesn't really steal much, is 6' 20" and 500 pounds of muscles, and punches walls apart recreationally.

The gameplay is about exploring maze-y dungeons, solving the occasional puzzle, and pummeling the fuck out of hordes of enemies in search of EXP, gold, and ADVENTURE. Ys games typically feature very tight controls and tough but well-tuned and fun boss fights. A little grinding is required, but if you're willing to be The Man, is entirely optional (assuming you're good enough to be The Man). The Ys game that originally got me hooked (Ys 6: The Ark of Napishtim, available on PS2 and PSP in the US) reminded me a lot of A Link to the Past, which is my very favorite Zelda. There aren't quite as many puzzle elements or tool use, but there is more, faster-paced and generally deeper combat. Also, the music fucking ROCKS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXHtkHlLcxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ76AMDLKp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HAxgp86kM

Are just some examples from THIS game.

It is worth it. God damn is it worth it.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    also he's a mute mc... but play the game despite that, because it's fun.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I really need to man up and learn to not suck at playing Ys: Oath in Felghana.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    @testsubject23, THANKS! you are a monocled master sir! I must be on a roll today, but never fear, it shall be revenged!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Ys is tempting but I apparently spent more than I remembered last weekend at the end of the sale and they all hit at the same time on our bank account making them much, much more noticeable to the wifey. I think I'm on Steam probation at the moment...

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    And speaking of class, @ToyD was gracious enough to gift me a copy of Dear Esther.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I kind of wanted to get that Ys game when it was part of an indie bundle during the summer sale, but I ran into the same problem I did with every single indie bundle they posted: I already own Greed Corp and Audiosurf (and I actually also wanted Gemini Rue), but when I put Ys in my cart and went to check out there was the reminder that the extra copies of Greed and Audiosurf would go down the toilet. To save my life I couldn't click on Purchase for Myself. And $5.09 now isn't cheap enough in light of the former bundle price. I think they're just going to have to wait a few years until I forget.

I think I picked up the other Ys game during the sale, though, because it didn't have this baggage.

Does that Valve psychologist have an email address? Or is there somewhere I should leave this kind of feedback for them?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I kind of wanted to get that Ys game when it was part of an indie bundle during the summer sale, but I ran into the same problem I did with every single indie bundle they posted: I already own Greed Corp and Audiosurf (and I actually also wanted Gemini Rue), but when I put Ys in my cart and went to check out there was the reminder that the extra copies of Greed and Audiosurf would go down the toilet. To save my life I couldn't click on Purchase for Myself. And $5.09 now isn't cheap enough in light of the former bundle price. I think they're just going to have to wait a few years until I forget.

I think I picked up the other Ys game during the sale, though, because it didn't have this baggage.

Does that Valve psychologist have an email address? Or is there somewhere I should leave this kind of feedback for them?
    $5 isn't cheap enough for 2 great games?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    also he's a mute mc... but play the game despite that, because it's fun.

That too, though I personally find it awesome, because Adol speaks only through action. Like, literally it'll say "Adol introduces himself" or "Adol expresses his determination" which he literally does right before fighting the last fucking boss of one of the games while someone is begging him not to, for his own safety.

Speaking of Ys being the daily...
    OTSwa.jpg

The Savin' Blue-Haired Ladies Ys: Oath in Felghana Giveaway!

In honor of Ys getting both a daily and the thread title, I'm giving away 3 copies of it! How do you win?

As we all know, Adol Christin's a man's man with a penchant for saving blue-haired ladies. Hell, in all but one (coincidentally Oath) of the US-localized Ys titles, he's got some azure-tressed lasses with all kinds of evil overlords out to get them, and will stop at nothing to save them - not to get any sugar, mind you, just because that's what he fucking does. SO! Send me pictures via PM, be they real, animu, whatever, of blue haired ladies. See, if you win, you'll be saving Elena, our sole blonde damsel-in-distress, so Adol will need some shit to do. The man's not one to sit around, you see.

Whichever three damsels I deem most in need of saving via an incredibly arbitrary system of numbers, charts, image analysis, and squirrel races will earn their submitter a copy of Ys: The Oath in Felghana on Steam! One submission per person, contest runs until 9 PM CT this Sunday, with winners announced sometime Monday. Russians and begbots need not apply!

Kainy on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Regarding the whole "lurker/leecher/gift" thing, I have a sidetrack to talk about. I honestly miss the old steam thread before the whole classy thing began. Lemme explain: I own almost all games I like, and I can't really afford (Being brazilian) to gift many games in USD. And now it seems that 90% of the posts are about steamgifts or stuff like that. So I had to go away, because it's not my right to change the thread. Nor do I resent you people, How can I be mad at people being awesome and generous? But, I guess, I miss them old times, this was like the "PC games thread", and I think some people will remember I was around a whole lot more.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Orogogus wrote: »

$5 isn't cheap enough for 2 great games?

Well, the bundle would have been $10, but I think above $2 the programmed inhibition against throwing money away is just too strong. I knew it was a good deal, but I just couldn't make myself finish checking out.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Regarding the whole "lurker/leecher/gift" thing, I have a sidetrack to talk about. I honestly miss the old steam thread before the whole classy thing began. Lemme explain: I own almost all games I like, and I can't really afford (Being brazilian) to gift many games in USD. And now it seems that 90% of the posts are about steamgifts or stuff like that. So I had to go away, because it's not my right to change the thread. Nor do I resent you people, How can I be mad at people being awesome and generous? But, I guess, I miss them old times, this was like the "PC games thread", and I think some people will remember I was around a whole lot more.

TO be honest the Steam thread is mostly like that, with the odd gift

It's just that a massive sale just ended

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Truly a more innocent time for the thread.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Eh I dunno, I don't really participate in the gifting stuff that much and there's still plenty of discussion to be had in the thread. It does move way too fast and have way too much "I AM GIVING AWAY MORE GAMES THAN GOD" stuff to keep track of, but it's not entirely a gifting thread. In the past few pages we've had discussions about FO3 vs. New Vegas, whether Bioshock 2 is a good sequel, whether the Ys games are any good, someone's impressions of Bastion, which Half-Life games are worth playing and in what order, etc...

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

but you don't have to gift at all, there are many people in this thread that make it a great community it is that don't send out gifts at all. I mainly come here to read about games, a lot of people here just enjoy spreading games they like but I'm sure I speak for others here when I say nobody looks down on anyone that doesn't send gifts out

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I think I want Y's just because of this:

c4dfc7b30c38425540e8c2dff1f9684cafaff445.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »

Truly a more innocent time for the thread.

Though honestly in between sales the thread is basically a "talk about PC games you like on Steam, give recommendations and advice, etc." thread, with far less gifting outside the frenzy. I understand the sentiment, though

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I kind of petered out on Ys Oath when I saw the 2nd dungeon was just crawling with flying enemies, who are just no fun to fight. I'll probably power through it some day down the line but it knocked out my enthusiasm for the current time.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It is usually. But we're just coming out of a huge sale, so alot of people have games in their inventory that they want to give away. I mean even before steamgifts, we had giveaways and contests lasting a few weeks after the sale ended.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I kind of petered out on Ys Oath when I saw the 2nd dungeon was just crawling with flying enemies, who are just no fun to fight. I'll probably power through it some day down the line but it knocked out my enthusiasm for the current time.

hey that's where i am... also yes flying enemies are the devil. i may have to revise that statement if the game at any point actually makes me fight a devil

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I just walk past the enemies til I get the wind stone. Then I beat the crap out of them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Far Cry 2 a bit, and it's not really holding my interest. It reminds me a lot of Just Cause 2, but without the mass destruction/grappling/parachuting that made Just Cause 2 fun. I think my main problem is that the guard posts re-fill as soon as your out of sight and that is really getting annoying.

I'm wondering if the game picks up after a bit, or not?

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Posted this in our game specific thread, but I figured I'd post it here as well since it's Steam related.

We’ve just released a major patch (code-named “The Fan-Fiction Free
    DLC patch) for Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness
    3 to Steam. An update for the XBLIG version will follow soon (no firm time-line
    due to the way XBLIG handles updates).

Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness v1.1 changes:

New Feature – Added a Costume Change feature that allows the player to
    change the appearance of the 4 main characters to a new theme.
    Costumes can be changed when starting a new game or in-game via the
    quit/difficulty select menu.
    Costume – Added “Gender-Swapped” costume set.
    Costume – Added “Furry” costume set.
    Bug fix: characters no longer retain class stat bonuses from removed classes.
    Balance improvement: Crabomancer’s special attack is more predictable
    and slightly less powerful.
    Balance improvement: Evil King’s stat boosting ability only increases
    strength & magic stats (previously, it also boosted speed).
    Miscellaneous typo & bug corrections.

This update (and all future updates to Rain-Slick 3) are free of charge. If Steam doesn’t automatically update the game, log out of Steam and log back in and it should update then.

The next major update is entitled “The Lair of the Seamstress” and will probably be released sometime around PAX next month.

• Options
    OK, people, you heard @Stormwatcher. No more gifting, parties over, collect your pants and go home.
    I'm kidding, obviously.

I think the thread's still mostly just discussion, with a classy glaze of giveaways layered on top. I don't think it's too tough to just skip over the posts about giveaways, if you don't care for 'em.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    Hear ye, here ye! In accordance with Olympic standards and practices, I hereby award @Kainy a gold medal for exemplary class! Thanks for Ys!

camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well if anyone wants Borderlands 2 for 40 bucks...

TheKoolEagle: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/borderlands-2-na/
    TheKoolEagle: theres a code floating around for another $10 off
    TheKoolEagle: PARTP-ALCNO-TIESU

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    I've been playing Far Cry 2 a bit, and it's not really holding my interest. It reminds me a lot of Just Cause 2, but without the mass destruction/grappling/parachuting that made Just Cause 2 fun. I think my main problem is that the guard posts re-fill as soon as your out of sight and that is really getting annoying.

I played it and felt largely the same. Has some interesting bits here and there (the fire is awesome!), but missions are lacking, sometimes you're sent in missions really far and transportation is slow, and that's not counting the amount of people ambushing and chasing you on jeeps. It's more annoying than anything.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    If you like Oath in Felghana, you owe it to yourself to throw more money at Falcom and XSeed by getting Ys Origin. It's basically a stand-alone prologue story setting up Ys Books 1 and 2 (the first two games in the series), and has all the great action of Oath with three characters and a more focused, tower ascent-based gameplay style; you don't need to grind or backtrack much, and the bosses are much more manageable as a whole so you'll rarely be stymied for long. Hopefully this should help efforts to get more of Falcom's existing library, like Trails in the Sky (which I hear was really good when it got released on the PSP a few years back).

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Very rad, Rainbow. "Fan fiction" costumes. :lol:

And I still think of this as the PC gaming thread with sale interludes.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Costume – Added “Furry” costume set.

:winky:

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Corpekata wrote: »

Wind magic is super strong against them, and they tend to move to you on the Y axis if you're in the air, so it's not so bad! I understand, though.

Also, a nonmoving jump + attack does a circle slash that's good for hitting airborne baddies.

Kainy on
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Krummith wrote: »

I played it and felt largely the same. Has some interesting bits here and there (the fire is awesome!), but missions are lacking, sometimes you're sent in missions really far and transportation is slow, and that's not counting the amount of people ambushing and chasing you on jeeps. It's more annoying than anything.

To the back-burner it goes! I've got too many awesome games to play instead.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, Green Man is saying my order couldn't be completed and contact my card provider etc. I feel like this sort of wonky thing has happened in the past with them, but does anyone remember what the issue is? Or is the solution just "use paypal"?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Wow, NOBODY has entered for the Portal pack? There's gotta be someone reading this that doesn't own both games. Doesn't there?

I suspect everyone has a copy of Portal, and nobody wants to deprive someone else of the opportunity to play Portal.
    Which reminds me, I need to finish Portal.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that three games in my library (Star Ruler, X-Com and.. something else... have all been set to a status of 'Download paused' for a week or so now. I don't know what they think they were downloading, but I can't seem to unpause them - right clicking on the library, and on the pause button in the download monitor are both ineffective. ANyone run into anything similar?

try double clicking it like you're going to play it. i've had a view games like that and when i try to launch it a "content needs to be converted into a new format" box popped up, it updated some stuff and the game went happily back to it's spot installed.

Thank you (and @Kainy for the same idea). It worked, and those things are no longer stuck at 'Download Paused'. You have no idea how much that was bugging me. :oops:

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    I am approaching the final chapters of Saints Row: The Third. I am having way too much fun in this game, but the backlog stares deep into my soul, I just want to wrap up the DLC & City takeover and then shelve it for a little while.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DahkathDahkath Registered User regular
    Congrats to @RoyceX7 who now gets to join the "Which Bioshock is better argument!" ;)

Enjoy!
    Dahkath wrote: »
    Let's pretend the Summer Sale never ended! ;)

signature.png

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hey, Fanboys is alive again! And topical!

2012-07-23-steam%20sale%20research.jpg

I think I am nearly done with Alan Wake! Gonna take a Wake Break before doing American Nightmare, what game should I crack open next of these three choices; Saints Row 3, Driver SF, Arkham City (Yeah I still haven't finished it) Quantum Conundrum or The Longest Journey.

I am going to destroy this backlog by Xmas.

Oh brilliant