Options

[chat] ass

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i don't really care enough about PC gaming to make it a factor in what computer i buy. but if i did, and i had a reasonable income i'm pretty sure i wouldn't even own a desktop. it just takes up space in your house in exchange for doing slightly more for less money. i would gladly pay an extra 500 bucks (which i'd only have to do every what, 2-3 years?) to not have to own a desktop computer.

I think my desktop does a lot more for a lot less money. I paid $2500 for my MBP, and $900 for my desktop. The desktop is still much more powerful than my Mac as far as games are concerned and it's 3-4 years older than the laptop. Laptops are good for portability but if portability isn't a concern a desktop is definitely better.

Not to mention, desktops are forever. The one I had in 2001? Currently a file server. The one from 2005? Added more RAM and a new video card and re-purposed it as my HTPC in the living room.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am currently using Asus's version of a macbook air, their zen book. This thing is amazing and I love it. But it isn't for gaming. It is for work, travel and long battery life while having a good screen and more than enough speed to do your on. Also it was 900 dollars. Personally my desktop and this cost me less together than buying a gaming laptop or a mac book pro. Also the desktop is a cost spread over long periods due to upgrading which is nice.

Sarks is right that mobile video cards are not the same as their desktop brethren. Which is why alienware high ends have normal desktop cards installed even if it makes them heavy and hot. It is hard to compare a desktop for gaming verse a normal laptop mac or windows Built for different things.

Also, I will give credit to mac for starting the whole metal case thing. Love my brushed metal computer. It is so pretty and light. And feels solid.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

[Mary (14:05:03) ] [Order number] is just waiting for a shipment.
    [josh (14:05:13) ] what does that mean?
    [Mary (14:05:16) ] I'm honestly stumped as to why you cared about the disconnect order
    [Mary (14:05:38) ] Are you asking me what a shipment is?
    [josh (14:06:22) ] yes
    [josh (14:08:05) ] what is a shipment?
    [Mary (14:09:09) ] I'm not sure at what level you need a shipment explained. I'm trying to figure it out. I guess I'll start at the beginning?
    [Mary (14:10:29) ] If person A (in this case, [Our company]) puts something in a box, and seals the box up, they can then go to the postal service, UPS, or FedEx and pay money to have that box transported to person B. That is a shipment.
    [Mary (14:11:20) ] The customer asked for equipment to be shipped to them, which is what this order is. The order is waiting for delivery.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't always run a half marathon, but when I do I do it on 2:04.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Cambiata wrote: »

[Mary (14:05:16) ] I'm honestly stumped as to why you cared about the disconnect order
    [Mary (14:09:09) ] I'm not sure at what level you need a shipment explained. I'm trying to figure it out. I guess I'll start at the beginning?
    [Mary (14:10:29) ] If person A (in this case, [Our company]) puts something in a box, and seals the box up, they can then go to the postal service, UPS, or FedEx and pay money to have that box transported to person B. That is a shipment.
    [Mary (14:11:20) ] The customer asked for equipment to be shipped to them, which is what this order is. The order is waiting for delivery.

NOW THAT I KNOW YOUR NAME IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME

wooderson.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Not to mention, desktops are forever. The one I had in 2001? Currently a file server. The one from 2005? Added more RAM and a new video card and re-purposed it as my HTPC in the living room.

My last two 'puters (well, except for the case) are gathering dust on a shelf in a closet.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am currently using Asus's version of a macbook air, their zen book. This thing is amazing and I love it. But it isn't for gaming. It is for work, travel and long battery life while having a good screen and more than enough speed to do your on. Also it was 900 dollars. Personally my desktop and this cost me less together than buying a gaming laptop or a mac book pro. Also the desktop is a cost spread over long periods due to upgrading which is nice.

Sarks is right that mobile video cards are not the same as their desktop brethren. Which is why alienware high ends have normal desktop cards installed even if it makes them heavy and hot. It is hard to compare a desktop for gaming verse a normal laptop mac or windows Built for different things.

Also, I will give credit to mac for starting the whole metal case thing. Love my brushed metal computer. It is so pretty and light. And feels solid.

That is false. They have the top end mobile cards. Also, the current crop of cards in laptops are actually based on the same silicon as the current desktop cards. This is the first time in ages that was true though.

• Options
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

wooderson.jpg
    wasn't that guy perving on chicks in high school?

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Well he's not wrong

• Options
    My last computer I gave to a friend for parts for his frankenstein server he runs in his house. It had some issues with a dead power supply and 2 years of neglect. He gave me all my backed up info from the hds.

My one before that, gave to my dad. Still works but goes unused as he has my laptop from 6 years ago now. My current desktop gets periodic upgrades because the case is fantastic and I see no reason to give it up.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

wooderson.jpg
    wasn't that guy perving on chicks in high school?

you say perving

i say strategizing

• Options
    Well about smart people any way

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Just saw Resident Evil: Rewhatever.

I love enjoying movies I am not supposed to enjoy.

• Options
    Going to play Cards Against Humanity next week.

You draw a black card. Then everyone plays their funniest white card. The funniest card wins.

cards.png

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

He's talking about embracing mediocrity. Appealing to the lowest common denominator. Don't try hard, just do the absolute minimum, then complain you're not rich and blame it on someone else. You see, it's the smart people, with their book learnin', that cause all the problems. If no one tried to improve themselves, everyone would be stupid and equal.

Because when everyone is stupid, no one is.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Cards against Humanity is the kind of game that makes me chuckle awkwardly and wish i didn't.

• Options
    Cards against Humanity is the kind of game that makes me chuckle awkwardly and wish i didn't.

My favorite so far is one that was posted on reddit.

"The Academy award for _________ goes to _________."

And the person played "dying" and "the Jews."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Finally, something Rick Santorum and I agree on.

• Options

You draw a black card. Then everyone plays their funniest white card. The funniest card wins.

cards.png

isn't this basically apples to apples

• Options
    cards2.png

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Organichu I'm not saying you made a mistake and you should have a desktop computer.

All I'm saying is you're a bad person and you should feel bad.

• Options
    Organichu I'm not saying you made a mistake and you should have a desktop computer.

All I'm saying is you're a bad person and you should feel bad.

of course, of course

*furiously scribbles notes*

• Options

cards.png

isn't this basically apples to apples

Yes. If the apples were rotten and worm-filled, and force-fisted into your anus.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Sprouting alfalfa and red clover seeds.

Somewhere, Thanatos is disgusted and doesn't know why

• Options
    GeForce 680, the desktop card:

45156.png

650M in the MacBook Pro, which was the stripped down mobile counterpart:

47688.png

Not scientific by any means, but it gives you an idea of the difference between the first Kepler desktop GPU and the first (technically it might have been the second, after the 640M) Kepler mobile GPU.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Chu, why didn't you wait until you had an idea for a theme before getting rid of your avatar? It's so inconvenient, not recognizing you on sight...

• Options
    yeah see getting a playable fps on an 18 month old computer at ultra resolution does not seem unplayable to me

i imagine on medium you could probably get 30+ on the 2+ year old there

like, to me unplayable would mean like, <25fps at everything low with all sliders to the left

which is why i said it seems like the lion's share of value added by a desktop is applicable to the swatch of performance that i'd label as gratuitous

• Options
    Chu is the everyman

He represents the forumer without a face

• Options
    yeah see getting a playable fps on an 18 month old computer at ultra resolution does not seem unplayable to me

like, to me unplayable would mean like, <25fps at everything low with all sliders to the left

which is why i said it seems like the lion's share of value added by a desktop is applicable to the swatch of performance that i'd label as gratuitous

Well when the mobile GPU is brand new you can use it just fine to get a playable FPS. But in 2-3 years it'll be nasty whereas the desktop GPU will still be trucking. My 8800GT is just now being surpassed by mobile GPUs!

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Chu is the everyman

He represents the forumer without a face

but it's so inconvenient for me!

Chu, didn't you think about how inconvenient it is for me to have to read your name to recognize you? you're so selfish!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

wooderson.jpg

Just ask Surreality, I recently sent him AMERICA in the form of a T-shirt.

• Options
    I will admit I thought Chu was some new faceless person at first. In fact it has changed the tone I read his post in. It is disconcerting.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I think that any regular poster that goes without an avatar for more than a month should have a hideous and unchangable avatar assigned to them.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i thought sir landshark posted tha-

oh my god it was organichu all along

• Options

Well when the mobile GPU is brand new you can use it just fine to get a playable FPS. But in 2-3 years it'll be nasty whereas the desktop GPU will still be trucking. My 8800GT is just now being surpassed by mobile GPUs!

like i guess my question here is, let's say today i go out and i buy a to-the-nines retina macbook pro... in september 2012

at what point will i not be able to get 30fps on medium with modern games?

it seems like the answer to that question is 'more than two years'

which seems perfectly reasonable to me, since i didn't get the computer to be a gaming beast

a gaming PC might be able to meet that threshold for the next 5 or 6 years, but then i have this big clunky box and i have to sit in this room when i play my vidyagames

that is not my idea of awesome

• Options
    I think that any regular poster that goes without an avatar for more than a month should have a hideous and unchangable avatar assigned to them.

D3PCF.jpg

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    i thought sir landshark posted tha-

oh my god it was organichu all along

This is worse than when everyone was impersonating Organichu

• Options
    I vote we force chu to use a tastefully cropped part of the Onion's blasphemous orgy.

I don't quite know why... I think I've been infected by that picture.

This discussion has been closed.