Options

[chat] ass

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    yeah see getting a playable fps on an 18 month old computer at ultra resolution does not seem unplayable to me

i imagine on medium you could probably get 30+ on the 2+ year old there

like, to me unplayable would mean like, <25fps at everything low with all sliders to the left

which is why i said it seems like the lion's share of value added by a desktop is applicable to the swatch of performance that i'd label as gratuitous

Well when the mobile GPU is brand new you can use it just fine to get a playable FPS. But in 2-3 years it'll be nasty whereas the desktop GPU will still be trucking. My 8800GT is just now being surpassed by mobile GPUs!

like i guess my question here is, let's say today i go out and i buy a to-the-nines retina macbook pro... in september 2012

at what point will i not be able to get 30fps on medium with modern games?

it seems like the answer to that question is 'more than two years'

which seems perfectly reasonable to me, since i didn't get the computer to be a gaming beast

a gaming PC might be able to meet that threshold for the next 5 or 6 years, but then i have this big clunky box and i have to sit in this room when i play my vidyagames

that is not my idea of awesome

But if you want to play videogames elsewhere you need a large flat surface for your mouse!

Wait, Organichu, don't tell me

you game with the trackpad.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    yeah see getting a playable fps on an 18 month old computer at ultra resolution does not seem unplayable to me

like, to me unplayable would mean like, <25fps at everything low with all sliders to the left

which is why i said it seems like the lion's share of value added by a desktop is applicable to the swatch of performance that i'd label as gratuitous

Well when the mobile GPU is brand new you can use it just fine to get a playable FPS. But in 2-3 years it'll be nasty whereas the desktop GPU will still be trucking. My 8800GT is just now being surpassed by mobile GPUs!

like i guess my question here is, let's say today i go out and i buy a to-the-nines retina macbook pro... in september 2012

which seems perfectly reasonable to me, since i didn't get the computer to be a gaming beast

a gaming PC might be able to meet that threshold for the next 5 or 6 years, but then i have this big clunky box and i have to sit in this room when i play my vidyagames

But if you want to play videogames elsewhere you need a large flat surface for your mouse!

no i don't, i use a mouse when i game (except like, very casual in-browser flash games or something, or keyboard only stuff).

but it doesn't take a lot of space! i'm not saying i can put a mouse on one of my kneecaps but any table or counter is fine.

• Options
    I just never had the urge to game outside of the house.

Why are your needs different from miiiiiiiine.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

no i don't, i use a mouse when i game (except like, very casual in-browser flash games or something, or keyboard only stuff).

but it doesn't take a lot of space! i'm not saying i can put a mouse on one of my kneecaps but any table or counter is fine.

Expecting to see this post on a TV ad that includes the language "For just $1/day, you can help..."

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Sarks it is okay. If Chu doesn't want a gaming desktop that is up him. If I remember right most of the high end games he gets on x-box not PC.

Desktops do to their increased power though have uses outside of gaming. Rendering, running statistical models and anything else that is power intensive. If you are not doing any of that or gaming, no reason to have a desktop unless you want it as a storage device/media server.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Organichu when you have a majestic man cave and you don't live with your terrible family you will want an obelisk to sit in front of in your comfortable executive's chair looking at your 30 inch Samsung 1080p HDTV.

MARK MY WORDS.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I need a new theme.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Sarks it is okay. If Chu doesn't want a gaming desktop that is up him. If I remember right most of the high end games he gets on x-box not PC.

Desktops do to their increased power though have uses outside of gaming. Rendering, running statistical models and anything else that is power intensive. If you are not doing any of that or gaming, no reason to have a desktop unless you want it as a storage device/media server.

I really hate doing any kind of encoding on my laptop. It runs right up to the red line. I keep worrying the processor is going to literally melt.

• Options

I really hate doing any kind of encoding on my laptop. It runs right up to the red line. I keep worrying the processor is going to literally melt.

Doing GIS on my laptop was awful. Old laptop. On my desktop it ran smooth as silk. Some professional programs are better on desktops due to the power and improved cooling than a laptop. Laptops do a lot more than they did years ago but desktops have also gained from that improved performance.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    if you accept 30fps on medium then you are subhuman and not worthy of my attention

I SPURN YOU

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Organichu when you have a majestic man cave and you don't live with your terrible family you will want an obelisk to sit in front of in your comfortable executive's chair looking at your 30 inch Samsung 1080p HDTV.

MARK MY WORDS.

i kinda wanna live in the big city forever so i doubt i'll have space for a dedicated nerd room

but i dunno, let me review the blueprints and i'll get back to you

i do like the idea of having an 'area' where i can place headphones, external hard drives, docks etc

so i'll probably end up with a nice big desk anyway. i guess there'll be room for a monitor.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    the new cat power album is p good yall

• Options
    I mean I understand why you don't want a PC right now, you don't have a lot of room where you live, but once you get your own place a desktop doesn't take up much room at all. There are even micro-ATX cases that look like oversized shoe boxes that can still fit a full size graphics card.

My computers don't take up much room. There's a little computer in the shelf of the desk!

http://i.imgur.com/3W7UG.jpg

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, no one wants to talk about what I see as the best part: you can lower the resolution and still have games look awesome. If you have a fancy 30 inch 1920x1080 (or higher) monitor, you need to game at that resolution, otherwise it will look like ass. Since the retina mbp can actually display non native resolutions and look super sharp, it means you can just play the next gen of games on a lower resolution and still have good effects and fps. Am I the only one who see this as awesome? The only reason my m11x still let's me game is the 1366x768 resolution.

• Options
    I mean I understand why you don't want a PC right now, you don't have a lot of room where you live, but once you get your own place a desktop doesn't take up much room at all. There are even micro-ATX cases that look like oversized shoe boxes that can still fit a full size graphics card.

My computers don't take up much room. There's a little computer in the shelf of the desk!

well i mean i also don't really enjoy playing video games these days, which is the crux of it

the only game i play regularly now is fifa on my phone

• Options

well i mean i also don't really enjoy playing video games these days, which is the crux of it

the only game i play regularly now is fifa on my phone

ur a face

• Options
    in fact i have skyrim, bastion, and a few other of my favorite PC games installed in my windows partition, and i have a bunch of indie games on my os x partition.

but right now i'm sitting in front of my macbook air and playing fifa 12 on my phone between posts.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

MARK MY WORDS.

i kinda wanna live in the big city forever so i doubt i'll have space for a dedicated nerd room

i do like the idea of having an 'area' where i can place headphones, external hard drives, docks etc

so i'll probably end up with a nice big desk anyway. i guess there'll be room for a monitor.

I have a nice flat screen TV and a PC tower is a p good accompaniment. Playing games from the couch with a controller, watching movies, streaming whatever. It's a lot more capable than any other appliance you can slip in there.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Oh I wish I didn't like gaming. I could do so many things with the time.

I could be an astronaut.

• Options
    WHAT MOTHERFUCKER FILLED MY HOUSE WITH CHICKENS

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    in fact i have skyrim, bastion, and a few other of my favorite PC games installed in my windows partition, and i have a bunch of indie games on my os x partition.

but right now i'm sitting in front of my macbook air and playing fifa 12 on my phone between posts.

Tabletop gaming > video gaming

Let's get three more players and do Black Seven online.

• Options
    I will admit gaming is my escape. It lets me put on my headphones and forget all the stress about school, internship, clubs and such for a few hours and have fun. GW2 is good because the teamspeak server lets me do it socially. Same reason I enjoyed lol with folks on vent. I feel everyone needs an escape and computer gaming is mine. This includes working on my pc. Upgrading it and such. It relaxes me. Same reason I paint my minis, it is kind of a zen moment where all that matters is the figure and the brush nothing else.

Also I am with DK, a computer is the best thing to hook to a tv. It is a blu-ray/movie player/game console/music and pretty much anything else you want. I need to get my ps3 up and running again(needs a new power strip) so I can stream stuff from my computer again. I love using my 42 inch tv to watch stuff on. Also maybe to play a few specific games.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The only upside I can think of to setting up a TV hooked to my computer for couch gaming is that I could have a puppy on my lap while I game.

The downsides are numerous such as: 2 puppies and a german shepherd in my lap whether I want it or not, and obesity.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

I'm in.

I don't know what Black Seven is, but I'm in.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

MARK MY WORDS.

I have a nice flat screen TV and a PC tower is a p good accompaniment. Playing games from the couch with a controller, watching movies, streaming whatever. It's a lot more capable than any other appliance you can slip in there.

That is actually something I'm thinking about for the future. I just worry about something like civilization not playing well sitting on the couch with the screen so far away.

• Options
    My schnauzer when bored and I am gaming will come up and mouth at my hand on the mouse to distract me till I play with her. It is cute but annoying.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Oh, and yeah, I hooked my gaming rig up to my TV a couple years ago. It's awesome. Playing BF3 on a 42" is rad as hell.

It plays Blu-rays extremely well and also means I have the videos stored on my network drive available to watch on the TV as well as Youtube and whatever other streaming I want. Being a PC means it is a lot more flexible than any of the other common solutions in terms of codecs and available power (Every Blu-Ray player I owned before I did this was extremely slow at loading Blu-ray movies).

I also have a Dolby Digital Live card, so my games go through my 5.1 channel digital stereo receiver. I have set up a coffee table with a surface so I can sit on my couch comfortably and use my keyboard and mouse.

• Options
    RVq4m.png

YLDx2.png

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    WHAT MOTHERFUCKER FILLED MY HOUSE WITH CHICKENS
    more like chick fil-house

• Options

MARK MY WORDS.

That is actually something I'm thinking about for the future. I just worry about something like civilization not playing well sitting on the couch with the screen so far away.

If you have a big TV this is not a big deal. My couch is about 6 feet or so from my TV, so I guess I'm 7-8 feet away when playing games. If you have your couch like 15 feet away I can see this being a problem, but my place isn't that big. :P

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    hrm

this game is weird

it can't seem to decide if it wants to be a hardcore flight sim

or an arcade-style shoot em up

it tries to do both in really random ways and

hrm

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

MARK MY WORDS.

I use a folding table.

• Options
    Hahahaha, Sarksus.

chickens.png

• Options
    guys this is embarrassing, but i think i lost the little usb dongle for my wireless mouse

this sucks

do i talk to logitech

i have a dongle for their wireless keyboard, i guess that can't be repurposed somehow?

• Options
    My schnauzer when bored and I am gaming will come up and mouth at my hand on the mouse to distract me till I play with her. It is cute but annoying.

My dogs also have their ways of getting my attention when I'm gaming, but on a couch they wouldn't even bother with that, they'd just be in my lap. They also get competitive for affection, so when you have two puppies in your lap it rapidly turns into two puppies fighting in your lap.

Then there's Rex who when he wants attention just pushes his way into whatever and demands attention with all 100 lbs of his bad self.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Something weird: Whenever i game on my consoles, i play standing up. It's kinda weird, but i don't feel... i dunno, intense enough unless i'm standing up. Don't have that problem with PC Gaming, though.

What is a 21stCentury? A miserable little pile of weird habits!

• Options
    guys this is embarrassing, but i think i lost the little usb dongle for my wireless mouse

this sucks

do i talk to logitech

i have a dongle for their wireless keyboard, i guess that can't be repurposed somehow?

If it's that tiny one, it can! You just need their shitty software to reprogram it.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »

yesssss desc did you hear about Black Seven from me or find out about it independently

I've been super-curious about it for a while now.

Also, any article that contains the phrase "I was re-playing Deus Ex for the seventh time, when all of a sudden" immediately commands my attention.

• Options

this sucks

do i talk to logitech

If it's that tiny one, it can! You just need their shitty software to reprogram it.

oh sweet

i guess i will figure out how to do that now, since i am not using the wireless keyboard atm

This discussion has been closed.