As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Don't think that stun rod's gonna help ya much, there.
    Also @Timespork's Ghost if you have things in both hands, it reduces the accuracy of your main hand weapon. Put that stun rod into your backpack until you need it.

Also if the tutorial video from the last page or so is correct you can "stun" with a two handed weapon if the other hand is free

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Classic Ironman till I beat it.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Ugh. If I thought Gamestop would actually have any PC Special Edition copies left, I'd be soooo tempted to go to the midnight launch and get it signed by Jake. Don't care if I'd then have 2 copies of the game. So tempting.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I am going to savor every horrific loss on classic iron man until I triumph gloriously!

Half the fun is in the losing with this game.

Docken on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Also @Timespork's Ghost if you have things in both hands, it reduces the accuracy of your main hand weapon. Put that stun rod into your backpack until you need it.

Also if the tutorial video from the last page or so is correct you can "stun" with a two handed weapon if the other hand is free
    Note that this accuracy penalty does not apply to pistols. It's a good idea to keep a couple laser/plasma pistols around even after you've researched rifles and so on for that and a couple other reasons.

And I'm pretty sure the ability to "stun" with a two handed weapon is from a mod.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Lork wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

Note that this accuracy penalty does not apply to pistols. It's a good idea to keep a couple laser/plasma pistols around even after you've researched rifles and so on for that and a couple other reasons.

And I'm pretty sure the ability to "stun" with a two handed weapon is from a mod.

All my guys have, or rather I should say, had rifles and pistols except two with rifles and stun rods. Those two did not need the accuracy as much since they were planed to be point men and identify targets for everyone in the back.

This tactic worked fairly well the times I've beaten the game in the past.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    I've decided I'm going to do one runthrough on normal just so I get to play with the higher level trooper powers - because I'm pretty sure that when I go ironman for my second playthrough that I won't get to use some of that higher tier stuff. :D

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    lurker question:

I'm a little confused on how the difficulties and different game modes break down. so far I've counted normal, classic, ironman and impossible. pretty sure ironman is a modification to the actual difficulty level, but...I haven't found how that works/what it changes. prz halp

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Normal is easy. Classic is normal. Impossible is hard. Ironman lays on any of the difficulties and keeps you from saving and reloading when things go sideways.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Normal is easy. Classic is normal. Impossible is hard. Ironman lays on any of the difficulties and keeps you from saving and reloading when things go sideways.

I see, thanks...well, I'm a noob to this series but also a sporting one so I'll probably play ironman as well on normal or classic.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    S'more like normal is easy, classic is hard, and impossible is impossible.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Play classic!

Just set your expectations and remember losing... Sometimes brutally is part of the charm of the game. It makes the unlikely wins all the more satisfying.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    There are also rumors of additional options that become available after you complete the game once, such as "damage roulette" that randomizes the damage weapons do as per the original.

Actually, I just found the complete list, spoilers!
    Damage Roulette Weapons have a much wider range of damage.
    Total Loss Lose all gear from soldiers who die in combat.
    Red Fog Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.
    Hidden Potential Rookies will have random starting stats.
    Results Driven As a soldier is promoted, their stats will increase randomly.
    New Economy A country will offer less funding as its panic increases.
    War Weariness Overall funding levels drop inexorably with every month that passes.
    High Stakes The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized.
    Diminishing Returns The cost of satellites increases with every one that is built.
    E-115 Elerium stores will degrade over time.
    The Blitz The aliens will target a larger number of cities every time they launch an abduction attack.
    Absolutely Critical A flanking shot will guarantee a critical hit.
    More Than Human The psionic gift is extremely rare.
    The Greater Good The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.
    Marathon The game takes considerably longer to complete.
    Alternate Sources The power requirements of all facilities are increased.

I actually had no idea some of these aren't implemented by default. Does that mean that all rookies start with the same stats, and a soldier's stat progression is fixed based on class? Kind of disappointing if so. But at least we have the option to turn those back on!
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I have no shame. I am going to savescum the poopoo out of this game.

At least during the first playthrough.

Normal runthrough first, to learn all the new stuff and get a feel for how the different country bonuses will affect later playthroughs.

Then Ironman Classic.

Hoo-rah !

You and me both bro, you and me both.

I'm also going to play through the tutorial even thought I don't really need it because I have to see all the content damn it.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I added my name to jdarksun's list. I have no idea what I am doing, I never played the original XCOM. Classic Ironman seems like a brutally hard difficulty to get started on, right? :P

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Not IWBTG hard but it should chew you up pretty good

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    lurker question:

I'm a little confused on how the difficulties and different game modes break down. so far I've counted normal, classic, ironman and impossible. pretty sure ironman is a modification to the actual difficulty level, but...I haven't found how that works/what it changes. prz halp

Read back in the thread a ways. It was discussed in depth a page or two ago.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I added my name to jdarksun's list. I have no idea what I am doing, I never played the original XCOM. Classic Ironman seems like a brutally hard difficulty to get started on, right? :P

HARDCOOOOORE

• Options
    Docken wrote: »

Honestly though I don't know what is IWBTG difficulty other than IWBTG. Makes Xcom look like Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Docken wrote: »

Honestly though I don't know what is IWBTG difficulty other than IWBTG. Makes Xcom look like Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I can't agree with this hard enough, unless there's a game where you pound nails into the sexual organ of your choice. None is not a choice.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    There are also rumors of additional options that become available after you complete the game once, such as "damage roulette" that randomizes the damage weapons do as per the original.

Red Fog Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier's stats for that mission.
    War Weariness Overall funding levels drop inexorably with every month that passes.
    Diminishing Returns The cost of satellites increases with every one that is built.
    The Blitz The aliens will target a larger number of cities every time they launch an abduction attack.
    The Greater Good The secret of psionics can only be learned by interrogating a psionic alien.

I actually had no idea some of these aren't implemented by default. Does that mean that all rookies start with the same stats, and a soldier's stat progression is fixed based on class? Kind of disappointing if so. But at least we have the option to turn those back on!
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I have no shame. I am going to savescum the poopoo out of this game.

At least during the first playthrough.

Normal runthrough first, to learn all the new stuff and get a feel for how the different country bonuses will affect later playthroughs.

Then Ironman Classic.

Hoo-rah !

You and me both bro, you and me both.

I'm also going to play through the tutorial even thought I don't really need it because I have to see all the content damn it.

Aaaah, shit. That list makes me want to do an easy runthrough first, just to unlock some of those options for my first Classic Ironman run.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    Those options are called "Second Wave" and there's evidently a variable in one of the ini files along the lines of "ENABLE_SECOND_WAVE = 0" (at least in the demo) so theoretically you could just flip that over and have them from the get go.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The fact that stuff is there is going to make modding FANTASTIC!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MandabarMandabar Gamer Guy Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Machinima's review of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7uPIp_uozk

Only thing I care about: he uses a smoke grenade to obstruct shots on a soldier well outside of the smoke.
    Yesssssss.

Aw man, I watched a minute of that before I went to work and seem good so far. I forgot to do my archiving thing so didn't get to watch it now because it has been deleted. gaaahhhh

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    I pre-ordered this game today... I rarely ever pre-order games essentially sight-unseen. I played the original X-Com for a grand total of maybe 6 or 7 hours many moons ago, but I loved it and always wanted a game that was pretty much just the same mechanics but with modern interface and conveniences. I'm really excited for this! The demo demonstrated the basics but was really more of an interactive trailer (like those new Youtube trailers that are all the rage lately.)

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular

All rookies start with the same stats

And according to JSGA on the 3MAcast, it's all class-based. I thought I was changing it in the field but I'm not :T

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    We are just about 24 hours away from release y'all.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    omgomgomgomgomgomg this is really happening omgomgomgomgomgomg

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    It's been said before, but the fact that this exists, in the form it exists in, is a small miracle that I had long given up on.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Well that's something I'd want turned on from the get-go to be honest. Now I think I might have to do a full run through on classic before attempting classic iron-man, instead of just for a bit to get a feel for the game.

Classic iron-man is obviously going to be my "real" play through.

Sounds like the closest you could get to original X-com has possible would be playing with Damage roulette, Red Fog, Hidden Potential, Results Driven, New Economy, and The Greater Good all switched on. The others are all just "make the game harder for no raisins".

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I
    Traikan wrote: »
    Those options are called "Second Wave" and there's evidently a variable in one of the ini files along the lines of "ENABLE_SECOND_WAVE = 0" (at least in the demo) so theoretically you could just flip that over and have them from the get go.

That would be amazing - I would essentially turn most of that on As it mimics old school xcom.
    random stats, damage and virtually no psionics even after capturing a live commander? Yes please!

Docken on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It's been said before, but the fact that this exists, in the form it exists in, is a small miracle that I had long given up on.

Hell yeah. I would've never thought in a million years we'd see a real reboot of XCOM. I figured I'd have to make do with off-brand Xcoms.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    To clarify, I was in middle school when Apocalypse came out (and beat it a few times... criminally underrated game. No, it's not the original, but its a rightful blast of awesome in its own right. Sure, Chryssalids are scary... but I'd rather deal with them than Poppers and Entropy Launchers.

Anywho, since that day I've looked forward to the next X-Com. I got a small fix from the off-shot, whimsical X-Com: Interceptor, but it was by no means a proper X-Com game... we were promised X-Com Genesis, but it was ultimately cancelled in 1999... since that DAY I've been talking about how we need another X-Com, and instead all we've gotten are pretenders claiming to be spiritual successors... a few decent, but none to truly recapture the magic. I've seen the last 13 years of my life wondering why the X-Com franchise license was just rotting on a shelf, leaving me to play the original trilogy and dream.

But thanks to the Gentleman Adventurer, its no longer a dream. In just over a day, there will be a new X-Com game. The despair, the dreams, they are the past. Blasting Sectoids and Floaters to their alien hells will now once again be the present.

The real lesson is, great games are remembered and all it takes is one dedicated fan to keep the dream alive. Now we just need to get someone to re-make Mutant League Football.

• Options
    Mutant League Football reboot would be Godly... My handle is derived from that game!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    No strategic layer, but Rebelstar Tactical Command (GBA) is a pretty great portable version of the tactical layer. I'm replaying it lately, and it's still good. After the PC Enemy Unknown demo though I'm getting damed tired of spending AP to make my guys face the right way.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

This times a million. I'm not sure if its quite how I would've personally made it, but I found the demo fun and I've wasted countless hours, much on the edge of my seat, watching gameplay videos while saying to myself "Oh my gods that was awesome!". Kitkat Chunky, you were an inspirational to all of X-Com.

So I'll have faith in the Gentleman Adventurer's vision for a new X-Com. And honestly, a lot of the stuff that I have disagreements with? Its covered by the Second Wave stuff. All I can figure is that some of it they couldn't fully agree on so they made it a possible option to play with if you so choose. I think I'll mostly miss Snakemen (doesn't look like they made the cut, sad face), having multiple bases, and, uhhhh.... well, TUs can go frak themselves. Can't say I was ever a fan of going "Well, I can fire off three snapshots... or one aimed shot... or maybe two snapshots and then two autoshots..."

• Options
    I remember the first time I played XCOM for pc, it was a rental from a video store. That wasn't Blockbuster. Which a thing you could do, in
    199(5?). I was terrible at it, but stuff blewed up real good. I think there's a leason in there, not sure what it is, but it must be there. Keep looking.

• Options
    I remember the first time I played XCOM for pc, it was a rental from a video store. That wasn't Blockbuster. Which a thing you could do, in
    199(5?). I was terrible at it, but stuff blewed up real good. I think there's a leason in there, not sure what it is, but it must be there. Keep looking.

I first played X-Com at our friend Brian's house (a year older than my older brother, our mom's were best buds back then). We'd all take turns trying our hand at the original, though typically with mixed results and metric shit-loads of reloading. My first runs with the original X-Com all ended with failure around the same time Chryssalids started showing up. I think I was in high school when I finally sat back down and beat the original (Apoc I finished before then, as it gets silly ease when you get gamey... and after you've got X-com armor, shields, and toxin guns). Still haven't beaten TFTD, which is a blemish on my gaming manhood. Someday, someday...

But right now? FUCKING X-COM!!!! ITS BACK, BABY!!!

• Options
    When, I was a boy, I save scummed like a madman. Now? Now I a MAN.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    For me it wasn't until the early 2000's when I played XCOM. Though at the time I had little idea of what XCOM was, I just remembered seeing it in a PC gaming mag from way back when, but otherwise I had no idea what the game was. I first played Silent Storm and loved it. Then someone on these very forums mentioned to me that I would probably like XCOM. Turns out they were right.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So...I'm confused.

This is an RTS and Turn-Based Strategy game at the same time?

Do you take turns playing each or something?

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.