Options

[Industry Thread] is getting better, unlike the Vita's outlook. Read the OP.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    You know, I'm wondering if Activision is going to keep milking the "Modern Warfare/Black Ops" combo, or if they'll try to put out a new subfranchise in 2013 (Future Warfare, maybe?)

Well there is that unnamed Bungie project that Activision is publishing. Granted, it's not a new setting for CoD, but it is a franchise that may let them spread out the CoD releases.

nusu on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    COD Vita may at some point have had a significant push behind it, and if I recall correctly early press was pretty positive.

However, it has become increasingly clear that at this point the game is essentially being sent to die.

Sent to die, and it doesn't even have a zombies mode.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, that's right, Bungie had their whole release schedule leaked because of court filings, didn't they? First game IS supposed to be out in 2013.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    COD Vita may at some point have had a significant push behind it, and if I recall correctly early press was pretty positive.

However, it has become increasingly clear that at this point the game is essentially being sent to die.

Nah, the early press for CoD Vita was never good. There were some people (like myself) that were hoping that a high quality portable CoD game would help invigorate sales for the Vita but that's about it. They didn't show off any actual footage of the game until just recently which is never a good sign for a game that's coming out soon.

I don't think it's going to do much to harm the Vita's reputation though. AC3: Liberation is shaping up to look pretty amazing and the ports of NFS & PSABR are looking to be nigh-identical to the PS3 versions so if CoD Vita turns out to be as bad as everyone thinks it's going to be, I think most people will blame Nihilistic and not the system itself.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Indeed, COD may be a lost cause, by AC looks very, very good. I think having Avelline appear in the story of AC 3 on the consoles may help sales, as long as it is more than just a token appearance.

NFS looks great, but I'm not so sure PSABR will work too well on a handheld, that's a lot of chaos to follow on a small screen.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Did they ever say what order one should play AC3 and ACLib anyway? I'm getting both and have no idea.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Indeed, COD may be a lost cause, by AC looks very, very good. I think having Avelline appear in the story of AC 3 on the consoles may help sales, as long as it is more than just a token appearance.

NFS looks great, but I'm not so sure PSABR will work too well on a handheld, that's a lot of chaos to follow on a small screen.

The only thing that would have helped push AC vita would have been to release the game a week or two before AC3 during the big press hype push. Give the portable version its own spot in the limelight and it would push sales. You could even include £10 off the digital download PS3 AC3.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Facebook game slap fight!
    "Why on earth would we want to emulate a business that has seen a 75 percent decline in share price since their debut?"

- Kixeye chief executive Will Harbin lays into Zynga, after Zynga won a restraining order against his colleague Alan Patmore.

Zynga sued Patmore earlier this month over alleged theft of trade secrets, and this week Patmore was told to return all Zynga data to the company, and give Zynga access to his personal files.

Harbin isn't at all happy about it either, and has some strong words for Zynga.

"Given their financial situation it all feels pretty desperate," he said. "Our games have little in common with the ones that Zynga is known for. We make synchronous, combat strategy games. They make asynchronous cow clicking games."

He added, "According to their S1, their games average $.06 ARPDAU. Our games generate up to 20x that. You do the math."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179545/Kixeyes_Harbin_Why_would_we_want_to_steal_Zyngas_secrets.php#.UIAlJ2dR3To

This story is kind of incredible. Now, if it's true this guy ran off with Zynga's secrets, then they're in the right.

Given the company's behavior and operational practices though, I'm inclined to think that they got a lucky break. One of two things is happening to their benefit here: one, they are shaming someone who helped them become successful but then left. Two: they may ironically be able to look into this guy's secrets that he's been working on with Kixeye. In other words, they know he has ideas, so they accuse him of theft so that they can perform a legal form of theft. They have to process through his files to look for stolen data, and even if they find nothing, they now have seen anything else he has.

But I'm a cynical person I guess. Regardless, the Kixeye exec is right - Zynga has nothing they want.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Facebook game slap fight!
    "Why on earth would we want to emulate a business that has seen a 75 percent decline in share price since their debut?"

- Kixeye chief executive Will Harbin lays into Zynga, after Zynga won a restraining order against his colleague Alan Patmore.

Zynga sued Patmore earlier this month over alleged theft of trade secrets, and this week Patmore was told to return all Zynga data to the company, and give Zynga access to his personal files.

Harbin isn't at all happy about it either, and has some strong words for Zynga.

"Given their financial situation it all feels pretty desperate," he said. "Our games have little in common with the ones that Zynga is known for. We make synchronous, combat strategy games. They make asynchronous cow clicking games."

He added, "According to their S1, their games average $.06 ARPDAU. Our games generate up to 20x that. You do the math."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179545/Kixeyes_Harbin_Why_would_we_want_to_steal_Zyngas_secrets.php#.UIAlJ2dR3To

This story is kind of incredible. Now, if it's true this guy ran off with Zynga's secrets, then they're in the right.

Given the company's behavior and operational practices though, I'm inclined to think that they got a lucky break. One of two things is happening to their benefit here: one, they are shaming someone who helped them become successful but then left. Two: they may ironically be able to look into this guy's secrets that he's been working on with Kixeye. In other words, they know he has ideas, so they accuse him of theft so that they can perform a legal form of theft. They have to process through his files to look for stolen data, and even if they find nothing, they now have seen anything else he has.

But I'm a cynical person I guess. Regardless, the Kixeye exec is right - Zynga has nothing they want.

The irony here is... extreme.

Dude joins a bunch of criminals masquerading as a company that booms by flat-out stealing ideas, dude leaves company after becoming successful, company craters because it can't steal enough ideas to keep going, company sues dude to steal his ideas in order to keep themselves going.

It has a sort of sick symmetry to it.
    Dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ... I made the same joke when I tweeted about that story.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

YOU SHUT THE HELL UP.
    It was pretty obvious.

But seriously, Zynga failing couldn't happen to a nicer company. Is there anybody there I should feel bad for or is being scum one of the requirements for working there?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

YOU SHUT THE HELL UP.
    It was pretty obvious.

But seriously, Zynga failing couldn't happen to a nicer company. Is there anybody there I should feel bad for or is being scum one of the requirements for working there?

The company innovates nothing, and is pretty obvious about what assets it steals, in part or whole. Like they've given the enthusiasts, us, nothing - no games, no design theory, no designers. It is literally a gold-rush mentality company, and they're collapsing under their own weight. So they brought it on themselves. I saw the chat cloudeagle posted a week or two ago, regarding their stock, and that is just catastrophic. If @tyrannus is around, maybe he can fill us in on any insight he has about companies springing back to life from stock drops that low, and the frequency of it.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I interviewed at Zynga last year.

Apparently I blew the interview by not having a Facebook account.

So, yeah. Pass the popcorn.

• Options

I need a facepalm picture for this, but I don't think one exists that has enough facepalm.

I guess they wanted to be able to snoop on you? Or was it that they figured you weren't up-to-date enough if you didn't have a Facebook account? All the kids are doing it these days, after all.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I need a facepalm picture for this, but I don't think one exists that has enough facepalm.

I guess they wanted to be able to snoop on you? Or was it that they figured you weren't up-to-date enough if you didn't have a Facebook account? All the kids are doing it these days, after all.

Where else are they going to send those Zynga funbucks to?-

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Was it the whole Zynga/Draw Something debacle where the CEO was badmouthing that one employee who didn't come over, and now he's worth more than the entire company?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't think they appreciated that I'd never played one of their games. I was interviewing for a test position...who cares? I need to know how to identify and accurately write up bugs. Not prove I know anything about a game I wouldn't be working.

Pretty sure I had the job up until that point.

Now I'm in Texas working manual labor and dealing with dodgy internet access on a cellphone...

I prefer cheese popcorn.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Did they ever say what order one should play AC3 and ACLib anyway? I'm getting both and have no idea.

The previous handhelds were always side-stories and I'm sure this one will be no exception. Heck, this one doesn't even star the same protagonist.

• Options

You know what it is? They want you to be 'hip' on the culture of the target audience / platform. Which is understandable to an extent, but outside perspective can be valuable. Hell, in fact, Zynga could've used some. "People don't like us and perceive us negatively. How can we change that?"

And so ends this installment of Henroid's "What Never Gets Said In Corporate Offices."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Do we even know that CoD Vita is actually going to have bad gameplay or is everyone just assuming it will?

I'm not saying it's going to be good but even with the shaky news surrounding it maybe we should actually wait until we know it's bad before calling it bad.

Resistance Vita has a 58% average on Gamerankings. The same developer is making CoD Vita. The chance that CoD Vita not being terrible is pretty low.

Yes but people are talking as if it is factually a bad game.

Resistance isn't really a bad game, either. Just a mediocre one.

I agree with you that people should give every game a fair shake, however the signs aren't looking good.

Their other FPS on the Vita got bad scores.
    The company has a reputation for making bad games.
    The screenshots look poor.
    The game doesn't have a single player campaign and is missing many of the modes & options common in the console games.
    The company is restructuring and renaming themselves as soon as the game is released.

Wait wait wait... what? Is this a real thing?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This seems like something retailers are going to be real pissed about, too. Their return policy may say "no returns on opened software," but a game this bad could easily generate hate on the level of "fuck it, take them back and we're sending them back to Activision."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Everquest Next announced, can it WoW you?
    As we reported last night, Sony Online Entertainment dropped a few hints regarding the future of the EverQuest franchise at its annual SOE Live convention in Las Vegas. Though CEO John Smedley's keynote address focused mainly on the firm's non-EQ portfolio, the EQNext tidbit was a doozy.

I have to be honest with you. We have completely blown up the design of EverQuest Next. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary. It was EverQuest III. It was something that was slightly better than what had come before it. It was slightly better.

What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox-style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you've never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn't want more kill 10 rats quests. We didn't want more of the same. If you look at the MMOs out there, they're delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game.

Smedley went on to mention that veteran EQ devs Dave Georgeson and Terry Michaels are spearheading the project, and he promised that it would be playable at next year's SOE Live event.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Nihilistic has the worst rogues gallery of releases. It's like they don't care about the product they put out or anything else!

In other news remember how we were making fun of Toki to Towa's unique look and how some of us vowed to give it a look if it came out over here?

http://gematsu.com/2012/09/toki-to-towa-english-release-due-next-year

Also more shocking Japanese news: Nippon Ichi's Project D? A much demanded alternate universe look at the rarely visited Disgaea universe!

oWylV.jpg

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Disgaea...I remember how the first one kind of came out of no where and became this huge thing.

And then that was that.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Everquest Next announced, can it WoW you?
    As we reported last night, Sony Online Entertainment dropped a few hints regarding the future of the EverQuest franchise at its annual SOE Live convention in Las Vegas. Though CEO John Smedley's keynote address focused mainly on the firm's non-EQ portfolio, the EQNext tidbit was a doozy.

I have to be honest with you. We have completely blown up the design of EverQuest Next. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary. It was EverQuest III. It was something that was slightly better than what had come before it. It was slightly better.

What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox-style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you've never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn't want more kill 10 rats quests. We didn't want more of the same. If you look at the MMOs out there, they're delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game.

Smedley went on to mention that veteran EQ devs Dave Georgeson and Terry Michaels are spearheading the project, and he promised that it would be playable at next year's SOE Live event.

I think the expectations of the EQ and EQ2 communities were that there WAS going to be an EQNext announcement at Fan Faire, but an announcement of "we've scrapped everything we've done so far, sorry about that, we'll have something to show you next year" is rather not what people were expecting.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Also more shocking Japanese news: Nippon Ichi's Project D? A much demanded alternate universe look at the rarely visited Disgaea universe!

oWylV.jpg

Much as I love the original Disgaea, the sequels hardly did anything for me storywise, fun as they were.
    I am not holding my breath for the current writers to improve on it as much as devastate the original's charm and sincerity. But that's my opinion...

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Mass Effect 4 to have new character lead, no Shepards
    Mass Effect 4 – or whatever the next Mass Effect will be called – will star a hero that is not just a re-hash of Commander Shepard, BioWare Montreal has revealed to VG247. Find out the studio’s philosophy to crafting the next star of the franchise below.

Speaking with VG247 at a recent EA showcase, BioWare Montreal producer Fabrice Condominas agreed that the studio has never shied away from the fact that Mass Effect will continue after the current trilogy, but with a new hero.

We asked him what the studio’s approach to whatever comes next in the galaxy-hopping franchise will involve, to which Condominas replied, “There is one thing we are absolutely sure of – there will be no more Shepard, and the trilogy is over.”

“This is really our starting point. Now the Mass Effect universe is vast, and very, very rich. So at this point in time, we don’t even know what kind of time frame we’re going to be in. All we’re doing is more gathering ideas from the teams, gathering feedback to see several things.”

“So first, we don’t want to make ‘Shepard 2′, or Mass Effect 4 with like, ‘oh there’s no more Shepard but you’re a soldier in the universe’. So this will be a very, very different context for sure, and nothing has been decided on the rest.”

Who do you think is big enough to step into Shepard’s space suit? Maybe you’d like a brand new character who hasn’t been seen before? Let us know what you think below.

Meanwhile, BioWare’s next expansion for Mass Effect 3, the Omega expansion, has been priced and dated by the studio. get all the details here:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They said back before ME3 came out that it'd be the last game with Shepard...

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/playstation-store-revamp-postponed-in-north-america

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht2JUdoiL_c
    The glossy revamp of Sony's PlayStation Store has been delayed in several territories, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and Brazil. Sony Network Entertainment VP Eric Lempel says "an exceptional experience with the new store" must be certain before a new launch date is announced, and that means adjusting the overhaul in response to inconvenient issues that have bothered customers elsewhere.

The new storefront missed its launch date with the UK, but is already available in seemingly imperfect form in PAL territories like Turkey, Greece, Hungary and where can we get a panini right now?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    How do they do anything but a prequel given the ways the third game can end? Well, aside from just flat out ignoring some of the endings.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Use ALL the endings.
    About to hit the highlights here:
    Shep was found buried under a pile of rubble, but don't know if they lived.
    Reapers and Geth kinda just... vanished.
    And everyone was covered in some kind of green glow for a couple of decades before they were at each other's throats again.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They said back before ME3 came out that it'd be the last game with Shepard...

Well it confirms their statement is being followed through on, at least.

I'm hoping they take things in the direction of KotOR, where the main character has a title to be known by but he specifics of his/her origin and race and such is all at your choosing. Also, no more "RENEGADE MAKES YOU EVIL EYE" shit. Put some clever villainous acts in, please. Actually, it'd be interesting if you weren't a Spectre in the fourth game.

... I probably shouldn't have ideas since I have yet to play the ME trilogy. But I have read up on the setting! Here's something more down to earth: Bioware needs to win back the 'trust' or admiration of enthusiasts, since ME and TOR and Dragon Age have pissed everyone off to some degree or another.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Use ALL the endings.
    About to hit the highlights here:
    Shep was found buried under a pile of rubble, but don't know if they lived.
    Reapers and Geth kinda just... vanished.
    And everyone was covered in some kind of green glow for a couple of decades before they were at each other's throats again.

Also, greys randomly appear

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Mass Effect 4 to have new character lead, no Shepards
    Mass Effect 4 – or whatever the next Mass Effect will be called – will star a hero that is not just a re-hash of Commander Shepard, BioWare Montreal has revealed to VG247. Find out the studio’s philosophy to crafting the next star of the franchise below.

Speaking with VG247 at a recent EA showcase, BioWare Montreal producer Fabrice Condominas agreed that the studio has never shied away from the fact that Mass Effect will continue after the current trilogy, but with a new hero.

We asked him what the studio’s approach to whatever comes next in the galaxy-hopping franchise will involve, to which Condominas replied, “There is one thing we are absolutely sure of – there will be no more Shepard, and the trilogy is over.”

“This is really our starting point. Now the Mass Effect universe is vast, and very, very rich. So at this point in time, we don’t even know what kind of time frame we’re going to be in. All we’re doing is more gathering ideas from the teams, gathering feedback to see several things.”

“So first, we don’t want to make ‘Shepard 2′, or Mass Effect 4 with like, ‘oh there’s no more Shepard but you’re a soldier in the universe’. So this will be a very, very different context for sure, and nothing has been decided on the rest.”

Who do you think is big enough to step into Shepard’s space suit? Maybe you’d like a brand new character who hasn’t been seen before? Let us know what you think below.

Meanwhile, BioWare’s next expansion for Mass Effect 3, the Omega expansion, has been priced and dated by the studio. get all the details here:

:lol:

Yeah.

I buy that. Suurrrrre....you won't be a 'soldier', you'll just be able to handle weapons/biotics/techs as well as any battle hardened vet. You just happen to be a..uh....scientist. Yeah, that's it. Definitely not a 'soldier' though.

Blow me away bioware; give me a Homeworld-esque RTS in the ME universe (yes, I'm aware of the SotSE mod). Homeworld (and 2) didn't need a 'hero', and felt incredibly epic. Get to it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm willing to bet the new PSN store will speed up greatly on the next firmware update where the app gets loaded into the OS instead of accessing it through the internet.
    That said, I still can't believe it doesn't sort the Download/Purchase History list yet. That's the #1 thing people have been asking for the store to do for years.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    I'd play a Blade Runner style adventure game set on Ilium. Not that there is any chance of that, though.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So is Mass Effect 4 going to start a "new trilogy" like Halo 4 is supposed to do? It seems like the big thing now is to replace the "everything has to be a trilogy" mantra with "why stop at one trilogy?" plus a dash of "let's throw in a prequel, remake, or sidestory game or two" and a sprinkling of "don't forget the handheld ports".

Look at AssCreed. Between numbered main releases, non numbered main releases, and handheld versions we've seen eight games in less than four years (ten if you count iPhone games and Facebook apps). For a while there it looked like Ubisoft was going to join 1990s Capcom in the "companies unable to count to 3" club.

I know that the industry is streamlining itself more and more into AAA franchises and developers get shy about new ips toward the end of a console generation, but this shit is getting out of control.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    AC1 was one game, AC2 was a trilogy. Clearly AC3 will be a ennalogy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Let us not forget that GTA III was a trilogy.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    If we want to go crazy and get technical, thematically it seemed like the Liberty City/Vice City Stories games were more in line with Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City than San Andreas was, which would make GTA3 a tetralogy, but either way it would make the upcoming Grand Theft Auto V more accurately described as Grand Theft Auto IX.

If we count London 1969 and Chinatown Wars that makes Grand Theft Auto V Grand Theft Auto XI.

I guess we know why developers are so keen on making non-numbered releases in long running franchises, because after a decade or so it just starts to get ridiculous.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

You may laugh now, but do consider that Monster Hunter 3 is gonna get five iterations total before all is said and done.

This can be done people. Sub-quintologies are the way of the future.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
This discussion has been closed.