Options

[Industry Thread] is getting better, unlike the Vita's outlook. Read the OP.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If we want to go crazy and get technical, thematically it seemed like the Liberty City/Vice City Stories games were more in line with Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City than San Andreas was, which would make GTA3 a tetralogy, but either way it would make the upcoming Grand Theft Auto V more accurately described as Grand Theft Auto IX.

If we count London 1969 and Chinatown Wars that makes Grand Theft Auto V Grand Theft Auto XI.

I guess we know why developers are so keen on making non-numbered releases in long running franchises, because after a decade or so it just starts to get ridiculous.

Sure. But SA was made with the III engine. Design aside, it's still pretty closely related.

And you can kind of look at the DLC for IV as desperate games. Obviously you'd have a hard time convincing anybody due to their length and how people are conditioned to think about what DLC is (or supposed to be...), but the argument is there.

Personally, I view the Stories games as 'separate but equal' next to the III engine games. I wouldn't argue too hard that they can't be all grouped together, however.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    AC1 was one game, AC2 was a trilogy. Clearly AC3 will be a ennalogy

You may laugh now, but do consider that Monster Hunter 3 is gonna get five iterations total before all is said and done.

This can be done people. Sub-quintologies are the way of the future.

Nope. Only 3. Tri, 3G (Ultimate), and 3G HD (Ultimate HD). Not sure how you get 5. The Portable series is a different series than the mainline series: Portable 3 and the HD version are totally different games.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Cade wrote: »
    Mass Effect 4 to have new character lead, no Shepards
    Mass Effect 4 – or whatever the next Mass Effect will be called – will star a hero that is not just a re-hash of Commander Shepard, BioWare Montreal has revealed to VG247. Find out the studio’s philosophy to crafting the next star of the franchise below.

Speaking with VG247 at a recent EA showcase, BioWare Montreal producer Fabrice Condominas agreed that the studio has never shied away from the fact that Mass Effect will continue after the current trilogy, but with a new hero.

We asked him what the studio’s approach to whatever comes next in the galaxy-hopping franchise will involve, to which Condominas replied, “There is one thing we are absolutely sure of – there will be no more Shepard, and the trilogy is over.”

“This is really our starting point. Now the Mass Effect universe is vast, and very, very rich. So at this point in time, we don’t even know what kind of time frame we’re going to be in. All we’re doing is more gathering ideas from the teams, gathering feedback to see several things.”

“So first, we don’t want to make ‘Shepard 2′, or Mass Effect 4 with like, ‘oh there’s no more Shepard but you’re a soldier in the universe’. So this will be a very, very different context for sure, and nothing has been decided on the rest.”

Who do you think is big enough to step into Shepard’s space suit? Maybe you’d like a brand new character who hasn’t been seen before? Let us know what you think below.

Meanwhile, BioWare’s next expansion for Mass Effect 3, the Omega expansion, has been priced and dated by the studio. get all the details here:

Something completely different? A QTE driven game where you play as a reporter dodging punches while you try to deliver "hard hitting galactic news?"

Burst!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They said back before ME3 came out that it'd be the last game with Shepard...

Well it confirms their statement is being followed through on, at least.

I'm hoping they take things in the direction of KotOR, where the main character has a title to be known by but he specifics of his/her origin and race and such is all at your choosing. Also, no more "RENEGADE MAKES YOU EVIL EYE" shit. Put some clever villainous acts in, please. Actually, it'd be interesting if you weren't a Spectre in the fourth game.

... I probably shouldn't have ideas since I have yet to play the ME trilogy. But I have read up on the setting! Here's something more down to earth: Bioware needs to win back the 'trust' or admiration of enthusiasts, since ME and TOR and Dragon Age have pissed everyone off to some degree or another.

Personally I enjoyed all three. Not everyone is pissed at Bioware, despite the internet narrative.

If anything would have be worried it wouldn't be the six good to great games, it would be the Dr.'s leaving together.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    AC1 was one game, AC2 was a trilogy. Clearly AC3 will be a ennalogy

You may laugh now, but do consider that Monster Hunter 3 is gonna get five iterations total before all is said and done.

This can be done people. Sub-quintologies are the way of the future.

Nope. Only 3. Tri, 3G (Ultimate), and 3G HD (Ultimate HD). Not sure how you get 5. The Portable series is a different series than the mainline series: Portable 3 and the HD version are totally different games.

Hunh, I never thought about it like that - I figured the Portable series was more tied to the main games.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/playstation-store-revamp-postponed-in-north-america

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht2JUdoiL_c
    The glossy revamp of Sony's PlayStation Store has been delayed in several territories, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and Brazil. Sony Network Entertainment VP Eric Lempel says "an exceptional experience with the new store" must be certain before a new launch date is announced, and that means adjusting the overhaul in response to inconvenient issues that have bothered customers elsewhere.

The new storefront missed its launch date with the UK, but is already available in seemingly imperfect form in PAL territories like Turkey, Greece, Hungary and where can we get a panini right now?

That's good. This was probably long overdue...the PSN Store is more than a little clumsy at times, as is the actual system of acquiring stuff, which is not surprising given how little it's changed while everything else has. Though I guess we'll have to see just how much of an improvement it is. Kind of slow to open though.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I have a question: What ever happened to This Is Vegas? I expect it was cancelled, but never heard anything about it.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    GTA III is actually a quintology.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I have a question: What ever happened to This Is Vegas? I expect it was cancelled, but never heard anything about it.

cancelled in 2010 IIRC.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/19/playstation-store-revamp-postponed-in-north-america

The glossy revamp of Sony's PlayStation Store has been delayed in several territories, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and Brazil. Sony Network Entertainment VP Eric Lempel says "an exceptional experience with the new store" must be certain before a new launch date is announced, and that means adjusting the overhaul in response to inconvenient issues that have bothered customers elsewhere.

The new storefront missed its launch date with the UK, but is already available in seemingly imperfect form in PAL territories like Turkey, Greece, Hungary and where can we get a panini right now?

That's good. This was probably long overdue...the PSN Store is more than a little clumsy at times, as is the actual system of acquiring stuff, which is not surprising given how little it's changed while everything else has. Though I guess we'll have to see just how much of an improvement it is. Kind of slow to open though.

Honestly, none of the online marketplaces are terribly good. This includes XBLA, E-Shop, iTunes, PSN... even Steam isn't that great to browse. I'm not sure if it's because I can't hold the item in my hand and compare a few products side by side, or the interfaces are just clumsy and something better hasn't come up yet, but I hate shopping for stuff digitally. If I know exactly what I'm looking for, sure, but...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Honestly, none of the online marketplaces are terribly good. This includes XBLA, E-Shop, iTunes, PSN... even Steam isn't that great to browse. I'm not sure if it's because I can't hold the item in my hand and compare a few products side by side, or the interfaces are just clumsy and something better hasn't come up yet, but I hate shopping for stuff digitally. If I know exactly what I'm looking for, sure, but...

They're not stellar. At the very least, the PS3 needs to come up with a better way of accessing DLC for a game from the dashboard than fishing through the store.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 4 to have new character lead, no Shepards
    Mass Effect 4 – or whatever the next Mass Effect will be called – will star a hero that is not just a re-hash of Commander Shepard, BioWare Montreal has revealed to VG247. Find out the studio’s philosophy to crafting the next star of the franchise below.

Speaking with VG247 at a recent EA showcase, BioWare Montreal producer Fabrice Condominas agreed that the studio has never shied away from the fact that Mass Effect will continue after the current trilogy, but with a new hero.

We asked him what the studio’s approach to whatever comes next in the galaxy-hopping franchise will involve, to which Condominas replied, “There is one thing we are absolutely sure of – there will be no more Shepard, and the trilogy is over.”

“This is really our starting point. Now the Mass Effect universe is vast, and very, very rich. So at this point in time, we don’t even know what kind of time frame we’re going to be in. All we’re doing is more gathering ideas from the teams, gathering feedback to see several things.”

“So first, we don’t want to make ‘Shepard 2′, or Mass Effect 4 with like, ‘oh there’s no more Shepard but you’re a soldier in the universe’. So this will be a very, very different context for sure, and nothing has been decided on the rest.”

Who do you think is big enough to step into Shepard’s space suit? Maybe you’d like a brand new character who hasn’t been seen before? Let us know what you think below.

Meanwhile, BioWare’s next expansion for Mass Effect 3, the Omega expansion, has been priced and dated by the studio. get all the details here:

Well, you knew they weren't gonna leave that chicken unfucked, but I have no idea how they think they are gonna get around the ending of ME3 without making 3 different games at the same time.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...or they could just set the new games before the Reaper invasion.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/19/persona-4-arena-sales-surpassed-expectations-golden-sales-also-strong/
    Index Corporation reported sales numbers for Persona 4: Golden and the PlayStation Vita port sold 260,000 units in Japan since it was released on June 14. Total sales should rise next month when Atlus publishes Persona 4: Golden in North America on November 20.

Persona 4 Arena was Atlus Japan’s first foray with the fighting genre and sales greatly exceeded the company’s expectations. Persona 4 Arena sold 220,000 copies. The hit titles contributed to Index Corporation’s bottom line in a big way.

Index Corporation reported 447 million yen in net profit or roughly $5.64 million.

Over a quarter of a million sales for a remake in one region on an unpopular system ain't bad at all.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Use ALL the endings.
    About to hit the highlights here:
    Shep was found buried under a pile of rubble, but don't know if they lived.
    Reapers and Geth kinda just... vanished.
    And everyone was covered in some kind of green glow for a couple of decades before they were at each other's throats again.

Could always go with another ending...
    There's some speculation that Shepard was indoctrinated at some point by either Cerberus, the Geth and/or the Reapers and the games were really just a dream and the endings didn't really matter. While this could be potentially cool, it'd piss a lot of people off who were already angry at how ME3 ended.

Honestly though? Prequel games or events happening at the same time as the trilogy, just in other parts of the galaxy.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A prequel really doesn't work because there are only about two decades between first contact and the start of the first game with nothing epic happening between then. Bioware has decided that people wouldn't identify with an alien protagonist so that it probably wouldn't sell well.

Harry Potter for Kinect and Dragon Ball Z for Kinect (those are their actual goddamn names) were released on the 9th. Harry Potter has exactly one professional review on Metacritic. They seem to basically be hoping that this shit sells purely on brand name.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Quiet, you! No logic allowed here! What has been done cannot be undone!

• Options
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/eas-riccitiello-on-social-games-consumers-wont-pay-for-crap/
    The decline of social games has been "overhyped," Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello said at Friday's App Conference in San Jose, California, AllThingsD reported. "Companies that are now suffering will have another day," Riccitiello said.

The CEO noted that viral marketing-style messages in social games that spam friends lists with requests don't make for "great gaming," and that "consumers won't pay for crap." Riccitiello had similar comments in May, when he said that "consumers want to be entertained, they don't want to be data managed."
    But friends list spamming was half the reason this shit got so popular this quickly.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Logically, it's about the only thing they can do in terms of feasibility. Unwinding the clusterfuck of the events of ME3's ending (I'm talking about in actual story terms, not the internet reactions to it) would require a silly amount of effort, if it's even doable.

For a post-ME3 game, they would basically have to ignore any ending but one where the Reapers are gone and some crazy magical Disney ending wasn't sprinkled around the galaxy. Even if they did do that, they'd also have to throw out basically all the stuff they made from before since the galaxy has been more or less ruined, so most of the prior fiction would have to be drastically changed. So their best option is to pick something that happens before the Reaper stuff and thus doesn't touch that mess.

Of course, the downside there is that they'll now have to come up with some other crazy galaxy-threatening event, except either the rest of the galaxy never hears about it (so a secret one, I guess?) or it's an event we already know the outcome to (such as the Rachni War or something).

A new ME trilogy is stupid for a list of reasons, really, but EA will force it anyway because of brand recognition and whatnot even though they'd probably do much better with something entirely new after DA2 and ME3 generated so much bitterness in casuals and fans alike.

• Options
    The thing about Mass Effect though is that a potential ME4 is a way safer investment than any potential new IP - even if a new trilogy turns out to be legit shite. None of the major publishers or devs have at this point in time the capital to push a new IP trilogy. Or well, some of them probably have the money to do so, but the truth is the risk associated with new IP is way too high.

• Options
    I would like to mention that I still have not played ME3 yet. So I ask for folks to be careful about what they say without spoiler tags.

I do not want my personal, first impression fucked with.

Thanks.

• Options
    Doing a smaller story would be very risky as well. People expect epic shit nowadays and ME has always catered to that expectation. Deciding to change course suddenly would be risky. Basically, in terms of sales, their best bet would be to attempt to set everything very far in the future, stick with the most common ending chosen (which I am going to guess is destroy), and keep the past as vague as possible. They might say that they don't want a Shepard, but ME has created certain expectations that they can't just ignore with ME4.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    And yeah, there is that as well. A problem with a Mass Effect game in name only, or even just a spiritual successor in the same setting way past when the first trilogy ended - If those same massive production values and that "Vastness" isn't there, then... Yeah.

Zephiran on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    A prequel really doesn't work because there are only about two decades between first contact and the start of the first game with nothing epic happening between then. Bioware has decided that people wouldn't identify with an alien protagonist so that it probably wouldn't sell well.

Harry Potter for Kinect and Dragon Ball Z for Kinect (those are their actual goddamn names) were released on the 9th. Harry Potter has exactly one professional review on Metacritic. They seem to basically be hoping that this shit sells purely on brand name.

If I were 18 years younger.....

There's a little bit more leeway if you act like that at 14 instead of 32.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Is DBZ still youngster crack?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    You guys haven't seen the Dragon Ball Z Kinect trailer yet? It came out eons ago and is the most hysterical thing. @Nocren has the right of it though; if I was younger holy shit that would be exactly what I want. Whoever came up with the idea for that game is genius.

• Options
    You guys haven't seen the Dragon Ball Z Kinect trailer yet? It came out eons ago and is the most hysterical thing. @Nocren has the right of it though; if I was younger holy shit that would be exactly what I want. Whoever came up with the idea for that game is genius.

And yet Star Wars Kinect somehow didn't set the world on fire. I think it did wellish in the UK.

Unlike Star Wars Kinect which tried to have a story that could be kept track of without knowing the movies, both DBZ for Kinect and Harry Potter for Kinect are almost solely designed to appeal to fans and nothing else. With Harry Potter, if you haven't seen the movies and remember what happened, you will be lost as hell. I would call them shameless cash ins but eh, what do you expect? Just watch the Harry Potter quick look.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-harry-potter-for-kinect/17-6707/

• Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular

Rachni Wars and Krogan Rebellions!

Because you'd get to be a fucking Krogan.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

And yet Star Wars Kinect somehow didn't set the world on fire. I think it did wellish in the UK.

Unlike Star Wars Kinect which tried to have a story that could be kept track of without knowing the movies, both DBZ for Kinect and Harry Potter for Kinect are almost solely designed to appeal to fans and nothing else. With Harry Potter, if you haven't seen the movies and remember what happened, you will be lost as hell. I would call them shameless cash ins but eh, what do you expect? Just watch the Harry Potter quick look.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-harry-potter-for-kinect/17-6707/

My guess for Star Wars is that the same criticism Mike K. had about Galaxies applies: it doesn't feel like an adventure and actiony. SW Kinect got closer than Galaxies did but it's still a far cry from what people would expect. I think the problem is that Lucas Film / Arts operates on the assumption that they can do no wrong with the Star Wars franchise. In a way I'm glad they have misses because it humbles them to realize that yes, it's a huge property, but people aren't going to accept shit when it's handed to them on a silver platter.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Is DBZ still youngster crack?

No but it is hilarious gif material.

AEFwa.gif

The game is terrible. I got to try it and it might just be the worst Kinect game. Terribly unresponsive and not very fun.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Best thing about the DBZ Kinect game is they took a previous game, turned it to first person and added the kinect stuff.

And yeah it's as horrible as you can expect, check out the GT video review if you want a chuckle or two.

• Options
    If I remember right, responsive capability for games on Kinect are all on the developers of the game and not the hardware. So uh, shame on them if they dropped the ball on the responsiveness of the controls because we all learned early on that it's paramount to have that working right.

I wonder if kids notice, though.

• Options
    Best thing about the DBZ Kinect game is they took a previous game, turned it to first person and added the kinect stuff.

And yeah it's as horrible as you can expect, check out the GT video review if you want a chuckle or two.

I don't know what you are talking about.

ibuIkjgmZVAkoO.jpg

0oiWk.jpg

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Rachni Wars and Krogan Rebellions!

Because you'd get to be a fucking Krogan.

Problem with that is no humans, which the market research people would kill automatically

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    If I remember right, responsive capability for games on Kinect are all on the developers of the game and not the hardware. So uh, shame on them if they dropped the ball on the responsiveness of the controls because we all learned early on that it's paramount to have that working right.

I wouldn't say "Notice" as much as "Within a day or two stop playing that crap".

• Options

When even some of Microsoft's first party stuff like Fable: The Journey gets complaints about shit often not working properly, I'm not sure how much you can blame the developers.

Do we have any official word on peripherals for the Kinect? NBA Baller uses a basketball, but other than that, almost nothing. I'm wondering how much of that is because of official discouragement because they should be all over peripherals for that shit as an extra money maker for certain genres.

Given how few developers actually jumped on the Kinect this time around other than to put out some second tier garbage and better with Kinect stuff using the microphone, I don't see them jumping onto the Kinect's souped up successor.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

When even some of Microsoft's first party stuff like Fable: The Journey gets complaints about shit often not working properly, I'm not sure how much you can blame the developers.

Do we have any official word on peripherals for the Kinect? NBA Baller uses a basketball, but other than that, almost nothing. I'm wondering how much of that is because of official discouragement because they should be all over peripherals for that shit as an extra money maker for certain genres.

Given how few developers actually jumped on the Kinect this time around other than to put out some second tier garbage and better with Kinect stuff using the microphone, I don't see them jumping onto the Kinect's souped up successor.

It all depends on how the Kinect 2.0 guideline work for developers. If it indeed becomes built in to the new console, or has no stupid requirements (such as 1 tier games avoiding peripherals or controller use for marketing purposes) then having the features there to developers from the off could see it become more standard. In fact I would go as far to say Microsoft will force some features onto first part Xbox next titles as a way of promoting features rival consoles may not have.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Part of the problem with developing for shit like the kinect is it pretty much locks in at the very least a "version" for that platform only (since it will effectively have different specs than the rest of the platforms). And the big dev houses have repeatedly said that they need multiplatform releases to have any chance of making a profit on the AAA releases, so what you see is, at best, for those a release in which there is a general version, and a version with "kinect support". And even that generally spends more resources than they will see back out of doing so. Not to mention bad implementation may actually be worse than no implementation at all due to word of mouth and review scores counting it in (like how most reviewers don't knock a game for not having multiplayer, but will dock them for having bad multiplayer, depending on the genre).

If they build kinect into the xbox next or whatever, with the idea EVERYONE should use it, they're probably going to find one of two things happen:
    1) It's implemented in all 'major' games. Horribly.
    2) All major releases are delayed on that system to take time to make it work properly (unlikely, since delaying it means less profits overall, 1 is far more likely).

Want a good comparison? Achievements. In a few games they're interesting but for the VAST majority? "beat the game on easy mode", "talk to the merchant", "kill ten goblins". Devs look at the "you have to do this" and respond with the most half-ass way possible because they didn't want to do it. For good reason in most cases.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Did Nintendo at any point require motion detection in their games?

Given what their main fanbase think about Kinect (especially those likely to be early adopters) I can't help but think that forcing it's use would be a terrible mistake.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Forcing it's use would definetely be a terrible mistake.

Not forcing it means it would be used, at best, as much as it is now. I would predict even lower since people seem to be getting bored of it.

Really can't win either way.

This discussion has been closed.