As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this what the aliens do for fun? At least they're not playing XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Gonna go ahead and start a run on classic with everybody named after Venture Bros. Characters.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I think I have enough decently ranked dudes now to leave my only colonel at home when he's not necessary.

oohhh feeling safe

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    this current game is a support meat grinder

I can't keep them alive

which sucks, because they're the ones who are supposed to keep everyone else alive

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so I made a thing and thought I'd share it if anyone else wants it

it's a DefaultNameList.ini with hopefully all of the forumers who have posted in this thread since release (in theory, I made the list by hand so I might have missed someone). Nationalities assigned randomly.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19998065/SE - DefaultNameList.ini <- there if you want it

to use it, go to <Steam Directory>\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config\ (or the non-steam equivalent I guess) rename the existing DefaultNameList to something like DefaultNameListOriginal and save this to the folder as DefaultNameList.ini

I'm still testing it, had to shorten @alternatingAberration 's name as it was too long and breaking the Russian names section but it seems to work so far otherwise.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

it's a DefaultNameList.ini with hopefully all of the forumers who have posted in this thread since release (in theory, I made the list by hand so I might have missed someone). Nationalities assigned randomly.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19998065/SE - DefaultNameList.ini <- there if you want it

to use it, go to <Steam Directory>\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config\ (or the non-steam equivalent I guess) rename the existing DefaultNameList to something like DefaultNameListOriginal and save this to the folder as DefaultNameList.ini

I'm still testing it, had to shorten @alternatingAberration 's name as it was too long and breaking the Russian names section but it seems to work so far otherwise.

Konichiwa Bitches

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    OI'M HULLIS, EH

SPOT O TEA GOVERNOR

CORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    *waggles head*

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Can I edit that in mid game?

i was gonna use the GnT one, but I kept forgetting to do it when I restarted

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Anti and I are from South Korea, which of course means that we're part of a pop band in our not killing aliens time.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular

If you do not want to replace files, just place the file in \Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\Config

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Finish the first impossible ironman mission with no losses and 3 promotions... Accidentally skip the first mission somehow and now everyone is panicking

This is when I hate ironman

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yay fearghaill you are the coolest

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    classic ironman, kicking ass so far, only two deaths

I'm holding off on the storyline stuff, captures and whatever until I get my lazaguns

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    If you capture a Sectoid you will have faster Lazaguns.

Beyond even basic. Want to speed up the research of heavy lasers? Electrocute that weird lizard-dog-baby thing.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    lizard dog baby? yeah, I zapped a sectoid for the laser bonus, I just gotta finish Heavy Lasers and then kachow I will zap

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Impossible Ironman mission 2:

9 sectoids patrol into me after my first turn.

• Options

I am not Japanese.

This vexes me.

I am vexed.

• Options
    And I'm not Chinese but hey.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    so there's dlc on steam already, which is really just the pre-order customisation bonus stuff, for $5 USD

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    theSquid wrote: »
    And I'm not Chinese but hey.

Vexed!

• Options
    is there a way to change nationalities like, not in game, obviously, but I wanna change the flags of a couple soldiers I have in my barracks

not enough Americans for me to name all my bros :(

• Options
    I presume you edit the ini file and move them from one nationality to the other?

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    i am australian irl and in that list yaay

also please just let me run on the treadmill in your underground base if i end up in your game kthx

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Don't forget to equip my helmet

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    The only Australian in my entire Barracks is named after my British friend because he already looked like him.

Sometimes you'll still get appropriate ones, like I named my Japanese Sniper after a girl who lived there for a while, but largely I just end up with a bunch of White people from Nigeria.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    I have an Australian and his name is Bruce. I will be devastated if (when) he dies

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    one annoyance I have with this game is that there are clearly dudes from canada (as evidenced by flags), but no Canada in that name ini.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm 13 missions in to my fourth attempt at an Iron Man Classic campaign. It's late May. So far, zero deaths, base assaulted, Psi academy built, only two countries withdrawn. If I'd completed the base assault just one day earlier, I wouldn't have even lost those two.

Basically, everything's going so smoothly that I'm starting to get really paranoid about when the hammer'll drop.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Those Beagle LP videos are amazing. I can't quite believe he is actually that lucky. His rookies seem to make shots on Impossible that mine would fail on Normal.

Might try some of his hang-back-and-wait-for-them tactics out in Classic later and see if I do any better. My strategy of always moving forward, even when I try and stay in full cover as much as possible, often ends... poorly. Though I'm not sure how hanging back will work out once he starts facing enemies with grenades.

• Options
    I think I've hit someone with Oversight once.

• Options
    I'd say one in three oversight shots hit. When they do and they kill the guy it is glorious.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    It may have already been discussed in the thread, but is there any advantage to laser weaponry over plasma?

'Cause it seems like plasma does more damage, it's easier to get plasma weapons in the wild, and putting the plasma cannon on even an avalanche seems like a guaranted UFO splash. Are there any enemies that are like immune to plasma or anything?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    It may have already been discussed in the thread, but is there any advantage to laser weaponry over plasma?

'Cause it seems like plasma does more damage, it's easier to get plasma weapons in the wild, and putting the plasma cannon on even an avalanche seems like a guaranted UFO splash. Are there any enemies that are like immune to plasma or anything?

I think laser is the middle ground between ballistic and plasma. And it only needs alloys to build, where as plasma also needs elerium.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I think laser is the middle ground between ballistic and plasma. And it only needs alloys to build, where as plasma also needs elerium.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right.

Also, lasers are much cheaper.

One alloy cannon nearly breaks the bank.

• Options
    You can get your hands on laser weapons sooner, so you could say that they stop you from getting done over in that tough spot between conventional weapons and plasma. They're also cheaper, which can help you out if you're strapped for cash

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Think of human weaponry as Tier 1, laser as Tier 2 and plasma as Tier 3. Each is progressively unequivocally better than the last technology.

• Options
    But it only takes like six more days to research plasma weapons, if you're quick enough on your alien captures. And since you need fewer alloys, you can sell a bunch on the grey market to make up the price disparity. Or just pick engineer/money rewards whenever possible.

Plus, any money you put into laser weapons is money you won't be able to put into plasma later on, y'know?

So far, I haven't really seen laser weapons as worth bothering with. In my Normal mode campaign, I think I only had 'em for two or three missions before I was able to get my plasma on. Nowhere near worth the time/money.

• Options
    Yeah I'm in the church of plasma, for sure. I mean, you do have to capture a few aliens which is a fairly high barrier for entry on classic

It's still the tactic I go with though

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I remember when I made a board game version of X-Com for a project back in the 90's, I rebalanced the Plasma to be high damage, but laser to be faster and more accurate.

Now that they've stripped out TU, you could still make Lasers more accurate I guess. I wouldn't have minded a game where a laser sniper had advantages over a plasma, but a plasma heavy was superior to a laser.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.