As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: New Frozen City (Night)! New camo specs! New thread! (this one's old)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah I dropped my LRMs on my C4 to 15s and tossed on a pair of Streaks. It's been fun. I run out of ammo more often (because I also dropped a ton of LRM ammo for SSRM ammo), but usually by then stuff is dying, so I start closing in and cleaning up (read: kill-stealing) with the streaks and lasers.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Its actually buried somewhere in that ask me anything they recently did on the forums. I'll see if I can dig it up in a bit.

I looked for the post as well but couldn't find it. It may have been in the beta area of the old forums, meaning it's not currently accessible. At any rate, one of the devs did specifically and unequivocally state that they would not be removing existing variants to make room for hero 'Mechs in the future. Hope that eases some people's minds.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Behold the post-DHS Dragon 1-C:
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 AC/10 w/ 3 tons of ammo
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

I'm trying to put this back into my Dragon and now it magically doesn't fit. I'm now two critical slots short for zero reason.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck?

EDIT: It'll fit if I use both engine heat sink slots, but I was only using one last time. Oh well, it won't matter after tomorrow anyway.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Okay, building my Cat A1. Do I go full Streak, or do I toss some LRMs on there, too?

• Options
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

I'm trying to put this back into my Dragon and now it magically doesn't fit. I'm now two critical slots short for zero reason.

did you remember to put two DHS in your engine?

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Okay, building my Cat A1. Do I go full Streak, or do I toss some LRMs on there, too?

4 Streaks, 2 LRMs

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Okay, sold the engine from my Streak Cat, and pulled the LRMs, engine, streaks, and ammo from my C4 Cat (to save money).

Now have
    2xLRM15
    4xSSRM2

260 Engine
    standard armor, max in everything except legs, 49/60 per leg
    Emma Stone
    Running 1.22 heat efficiency with singles, but there's only a 90m range where I'll be using all weapons anyway (roughly 1 LRM salvo).

At some point I'll just upgrade the engine to a big honking XL. Going the max XL would allow me to nearly max leg armor (up to 57/60 per), and still have a ton for another HS, or a JJet if/when they fix those. Or I may slow it down a bit and toss in some EW, depending on how that looks/feels.

Think I'll take that for a spin tonight.

Have they made any mention of how Artemis are going to work? Are they just going to be SRMs only, or LRMs too? Or what?

Tox on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

Don't know it the situation happens often enough to justify it, but a couple of SRMs could be nice for the off chance that someone powers down in front of you.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Logged into a match to try the Bitching Betty .cfg
    My team was a pure LRM cat, two trial Awesomes, a Commando, two Ravens, me, and I forget the 8th. Basically it was a bunch of badly fit, badly piloted stuff and then me sitting around going :/.

I don't feel bad at all about alt-f4ing out of that match at all. Half the team was dead in about 45 seconds, lol. I knew it was gonna be a roll from the start and was just there to check the .cfg edit anyway.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Don't know it the situation happens often enough to justify it, but a couple of SRMs could be nice for the off chance that someone powers down in front of you.

Well, if they do that, I can back up and fire LRMs. My big concern with regular SRMs is collateral damage to teammates. Part of the reason I'm shit with lasers is I don't fire if there's a risk I'll hit a teammate. I'd rather deal with that problem and maintain LRM capabilities than go SRMs and start peppering allies. But we'll see, I may try it out at some point. When EW stuff comes out, if the Cat can use it, I'm going to definitely try some stuff out.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

EDIT: It'll fit if I use both engine heat sink slots, but I was only using one last time. Oh well, it won't matter after tomorrow anyway.

Ummm, that build checks out for me, sure you don't have some extra crap in there somewhere?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I grabbed my Wang. Err...

Anyway, when I need to build up some c-bills, that 30% is really noticable. My main problem is that while I like to think I'm an okay shot, I'm still learning the ins and outs of leading for this game/engine/whatever, so the AC/20 can waver between a massive chunk of damage or a massive waste of space/weight. So while I don't mind using it, I generally play it as a mixed support role. With an XL280 (I think), I'm clocking in at 91km/h before the speed increase perk, so I'm fast enough to hop into their base or fall back and defend ours, or sneak around and ambush the enemy from behind. Iffy-shot or not, if a Cat is standing still doing its own thing and I end up behind it, it always feels really good to land all 3 weapons right into it, and have enough standard HS's to do it a couple of times before falling back if I need to. It's also nice to have enough armour to take some kind of punishment AND an AMS, so sometimes I'll just hang near the crew and soak damage/missile volleys while our ranged support deal with theirs.

That said, I think I enjoy energy and missiles more so far.

Bought the Centurion with 3 missile hardpoints and loaded a pair of LRM 15's into it to go with the 10 that it starts with, and anytime there was a TAG I was a happy camper (which was pretty common yesterday). Even without, it always felt good when someone would call for an assist/help and I'd just hop onto the highest point nearby and rain damage onto their target. Only having 2 medium lasers for close up work means I'm not very dangerous in those circumstances, but that's a risk I run; hope I have allies nearby to peel things off me, do it myself, or flee and hope the fairly heavy armour this thing runs with (even toned down a little) is enough to save me while I try to get away.

Finally managed to grab the third Centurion last night, and like it as a primarily energy based brawler. Full armour, swapped the small for a third Medium (kind of like having the Large laser on hand) and am wavering on the missile layout; the LRM 10 is okay for adding damage across the map, especially if a target is TAG'd, but I kind of want to replace it with a pair of Streaks to add a bit of extra punch on my close range fighting. Kind of want to look into an XL for this as well (a bit annoyed that difference variants have different max engines, I thought that would be standard to the chasis, otherwise I might've bought an XL260 instead of the 280 when I upgraded my Wang), but in general its fairly hard to kill as long as I'm not dumb about things and packs enough of a punch to mangle things pretty heavily.

Once I finish the last 10k exp I need on my knife-fighter so that I can pour the 20k I've saved up on the Wang (dislike Balistics or not, that 30% bonus is hard to pass up since I don't want to pay into premium time or have a Founders Mech) and really get an edge when we go stomping around. On further thought, I'm half tempted

Not quite sure what I want to do next, but I'm tempted to look into a fast scout like the Jenner for speedy harassing. I've seen some PA'ers put them to absolutely devestating effect, doubly so if I could toss my XL into it.

Anyway, it was a damned fine series of games last night, and I appreciate the group's tolerance of my regularly dropping in/out to take care of some chores around the apartment. It's always nice to hop into vent and see 2 groups doing their thing.

Though I guess once the 4 player max hits we'll probably start running a lot more crews, and it's a bit disappointing because I enjoy the large scale team work. Just have to look forward to the day they get us up to 12 mech teams.

btw, it was useful for the group leaders to put how many slots they had open in their Vent comment, seemed to attract people when we needed them fairly well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    4xSRM Cat?

Butterbee?

• Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

some of these things I just don't get, Like do you literally put them in the same space as your engine?

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    4xSRM Cat?

Butterbee?

Psh. That's gonna 4xSSRM2, 3xLLas. Gonna shred all the faces.

Actually what would make me love that 'mech even more is if one of the energy hardpoints was in the head. Because then it'd be 2xLRM, 2xSRM, 3xLLas, and TAG.

• Options
    Crazed LlamaCrazed Llama Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Seruko wrote: »
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

some of these things I just don't get, Like do you literally put them in the same space as your engine?

Large engines give you extra slots, so in the engine you will see like [0/2 Slots Used] and you can drag heatsinks into them. if you don't see that then your engine gets no extra spots... i don't have the breakdown handy. It's like every 25 engine rating over 275 or something.

Crazed Llama on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

Large engines give you extra slots, so in the engine you will see like [0/2 Slots Used] and you can drag heatsinks into them. if you don't see that then your engine gets no extra spots... i don't have the breakdown handy. It's like every 25 engine rating over 275 or something.

Pretty close! Every 25 rating over 250.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

Some engines have space for extra heat sinks that are now not used right away. The earlier versions of the game gave by default the number that came from the engine size and did not require externally placed sinks. So if you have extra spaces, planting a heat sink in the center torso in mech lab will plant those in the engine. If you had less than a certain rated engine you had to place some in the mech slots to carry at least the required ten.

Engines are required to have at least ten heat sinks, and for every 25 tons one can be placed in the engine space. So a 250 has all ten inside, a 300 has space for two more.

That help?

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

When you load a 275+ rated engine, two of the engine's crits will be a box into which you can place additional heat sinks (based on the rating of the engine. Engines can hold Rating/25 heat sinks, rounded down).

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Ah okay good I was right about that, wasn't sure if they tweaked it when they went OB.

Tox on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking that my issues with this game are primarily
    -Grouping is necessary due to lack of integrated VOIP, and the game's social interface is practically nonexistant.
    -Grinding requires more time than I have to devote. I get it, freemium, but it's still coloring my experience.
    -Performance on my PC is still lousy. Are we still waiting on significant engine updates or expanded DirectX support? Mouse tracking is poor and it makes it really frustrating that I can't hit things for shit.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    grouch993 wrote: »
    4 Medium Lasers
    1 SRM 4 w/ 1 ton of ammo
    1 AMS w/ 1 ton of ammo
    15 Double Heat Sinks
    Endo-Steel Structure
    300 XL Engine
    400 Armor Points

<3 this loadout so much.

Some engines have space for extra heat sinks that are now not used right away. The earlier versions of the game gave by default the number that came from the engine size and did not require externally placed sinks. So if you have extra spaces, planting a heat sink in the center torso in mech lab will plant those in the engine. If you had less than a certain rated engine you had to place some in the mech slots to carry at least the required ten.

Engines are required to have at least ten heat sinks, and for every 25 tons one can be placed in the engine space. So a 250 has all ten inside, a 300 has space for two more.

That help?

This is ENORMOUSLY HELPFUL. Thank you very much.
    ---
    There are a million little things to learn about this game, and that's probably why I am digging it so much currently.
    How the Damage/armor model works, how criticals work, lasers as DoT's vs weird aiming on Ballistics, streaks vs shotgun srms, lrms and locking,
    mech building mech building mech building, engine/heat sinks, tactics vs cbill tactics vs mech specific xp/gxp vs the cost of repairing your mech.
    ---
    why would anyone run regular srms, when streaks are just... better.
    ---

Seruko on
    "How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    INot quite sure what I want to do next, but I'm tempted to look into a fast scout like the Jenner for speedy harassing. I've seen some PA'ers put them to absolutely devestating effect, doubly so if I could toss my XL into it.

The light is a very good platform, but I wouldn't get too attached to the hunter-killer lights we have now. There are a couple of factors increasing their overall utility beyond what their intended role actually is, and those factors will likely be fixed in the next couple of updates.
    • Lack of collision and knockdown allows Scouts to frolick among the heavier classes with impunity. Pre-collision removal, it took supreme awareness and a keen sense of control to keep from getting tripped (and subsequently stomped on) by heavier mechs. Once collision returns, Lights will once again be required to skirt the battlefield fringe, rather than jumping into the fray with reckless abandon.
    • Lag armor increases Lights' survivability almost by an order of magnitude (except vs StreakCats). IF this ever gets fixed (and God I hope it does), Lights will have to be very wary on the battlefield, lest they get one-shotted by heavier Mechs carrying more than their entire weight in armaments. In the meantime, if you're facing a Light mech, make sure to shoot IN FRONT of where they are moving. The faster they're going, the more in front of them you have to aim (sometimes 2 mech-lengths or more).
    • Streaks are pretty OP right now, giving Lights an advantage in a brawl vs non-streak builds. The Jenner and especially Commando variants packing streaks are able to do large amounts of damage to your center torso while going full speed. Once Streaks get their upcoming nerf, that damage will be spread out across your entire mech, making them about as effective as regular SRMs.

Once these things are more in line with how they're actually supposed to function, Lights will return to their spotter / support role. They'll still be incredibly effective in the hands of a good pilot, but they'll be a far cry from their current implementation.

As for XL engines...absolutely every light should have an XL. There's just no reason not to, you're too small to lose just a side torso. And Slow Light = quick death. Just ask Raven pilots ;-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    What free to play games have successfully monetized to keep the game running without selling items that are not purely cosmetic?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »
    What free to play games have successfully monetized to keep the game running without selling items that are not purely cosmetic?

pox nora.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    League of Legends, for one.
    Unless you mean selling game effecting items for money regardless of whether you can buy them with in-game currency.

In which case, probably none?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    -Grouping is necessary due to lack of integrated VOIP, and the game's social interface is practically nonexistant.
    -Grinding requires more time than I have to devote. I get it, freemium, but it's still coloring my experience.
    -Performance on my PC is still lousy. Are we still waiting on significant engine updates or expanded DirectX support? Mouse tracking is poor and it makes it really frustrating that I can't hit things for shit.

Have you tried the PA vent server? Because every time I have felt like getting in a round or two since open beta it has taken less than 5 minutes to meet up with some PA people via Vent and be out stomping faces.

Yes, it's a 3rd party tool and such which is less than optimal (should be integrated into the game) but in practical terms it is nearly always possible to get in a PA group and into the fray faster than you can get into a dungeon in WoW via the dungeon finder.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

What kind of system are you running this on? The engine is far from finished, so hold out hope on that end. But I'm honestly surprised that you have mouse tracking complaints. I think that may be more indicative of hardware than the game.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I have played with the PA crew.

BTW, re:knockdown, were you guys able to shoot knocked-down mechs previously? Because I'd stop shooting entirely when a mech fell down since it would be pretty much impossible to hit until it was standing up and had finished bouncing around and deciding where it actually was.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

1) While it shouldn't be necessary (good integrated VOIP is essential), you can log on to the PA vent server and usually within minutes you are going to be in a group with other PA guys/gals.
    2) Its part of the whole F2P thing. Either put in a lot of foot-work in game to get your shiny things, or put in some cash and have them in minutes. Not my favorite model (I prefer subscriptions, personally).
    3a) MWO requires a fairly beef PC to play. Right now, only DX9 is currently implemented, with DX11 support coming in the future (supposedly). Having a quad core processor helps a good bit as well.
    3b) If related to your PC performance issues, ignore this. If not related to performance issues: Remember, you are driving a giant walking battle tank. It takes time to rotate 60+ tons of upper torso in a precision manner (in the case of the Atlas). This isn't quake, unreal, or call of battlefield. You need plan a few steps ahead when driving the mech and think about where you are in relation to where you want to go. A couple of quick tips: If you need to center your torso to your legs, hit "c". If you need to stop quickly, hit "x".

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    You could but it was super inconsistent. But you still had 1-2 seconds of time as the mech needed to accelerate to hurt it.

• Options
    BTW, re:knockdown, were you guys able to shoot knocked-down mechs previously? Because I'd stop shooting entirely when a mech fell down since it would be pretty much impossible to hit until it was standing up and had finished bouncing around and deciding where it actually was.

Yes, but most 'mechs tended to have a quick teleport glitch just as they were about to start standing up. If you waited for that, you could alpha and fuck them up something good.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    That group who were compiling dossiers on other groups are bad at websites.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

We'll need to add this weakness to their dossier.

• Options

how so?

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Responding to a couple of things from pages ago: Easiest way I found to take screenshots is to launch MW:O through a Steam shortcut. This enables the Steam Overlay, allowing you to use F12 for screenshots.

My Hunchbacks get named Wild Ride. I was using various puns of 50 Cent for my Centurions, but have switched to Wang based jokes. My Raven was named "That's So" and my Dragons all ended up with names like Drag Along or Drag Queen.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

We'll need to add this weakness to their dossier.
    Add it to this:
    This is a list of currently active members of the group. I will try to keep it up to date. If you don't have all of these folks on your friends list, go ahead and add them/look for them in c3. Note that some folks have different names in c3 vs. MWO so if you aren't sure, ask! I'll also add IRL names for everyone as it helps keeps people straight. If you want me to take down your IRL name just let me know, but this is private for now. (emphasis added)

(list of names)

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Alright, I'm ready to start shooting other robots, so I'm gonna reboot and make sure I cleared that memory leak issue, then hop into vent.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Maybe by "private" they mean "only accessible from within the realm of existence." Perhaps entities from outside of space-time cannot see the list. They're safe from Cthulhu, perhaps.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Maybe by "private" they mean "only accessible from within the realm of existence." Perhaps entities from outside of space-time cannot see the list. They're safe from Cthulhu, perhaps.

That list is a private member of the Prime Material Plane object.