As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I want to try Dixit, but you have to have the right group in the right mood at the right level of comfort.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    Archipelago is pretty awesome, but I it falls under the 'board gamer's board game' category (and only goes to 5 players if you're group goes more than that). In other words, Archipelago has a lot of mechanics and interactions to worry about. If simple is more your thing, then I wouldn't recommend this one.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Without looking at the rules yet and just the components, Archipelago makes me think of Caribbean Eclipse. Which isn't a bad comparison to be drawing, but I don't know how accurate that is. It also reminds me of aspects of Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan as well. I should read the rules.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Man, I keep wanting to get Paths of Glory. Then I try to get through another section of the rules, and it's just...no. Just no. Today were the combat rules. And the 2 pages spent explaining the excepts for the priorities that the british have to take losses in amongst their allies. And the excepts for various specific locations on the board with respect to retreats. And the list of specific armies which do not get to be replaced by a reserve corp. And the list of specific circumstances where specific armies can't retreat. And the two specific circumstances where armies are killed outright. And on and on and on and my eyes glazed over and I simply couldn't keep reading by the time I got to withdrawls.

Is it too much to ask for a game like Twilight Struggle, that's not about the cold war?

I actually prefer PURSUIT OF GLORY, which takes the POG system but narrows down the focus to center on the Ottoman Empire. It's even more fiddly than PATHS, however, so it's definitely not what you are looking for.

Have you tried LABYRINTH or ANDEAN ABYSS ? They are closer to the TWILIGHT STRUGGLE model. A little too much so for my taste, actually, I find them to be too simplistic.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    You know I saw Labyrinth. But the theme is just such a huge turnoff. Just too close to home right now.

One of the great things about games like LABYRINTH, ANDEAN ABYSS, and FIELDS OF FIRE is that they are designed by contractors and active duty military officers who are actively studying, thinking about, or in some cases, fighting Bad Guys in the game's subject area. That sense of immediacy is priceless.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Without looking at the rules yet and just the components, Archipelago makes me think of Caribbean Eclipse. Which isn't a bad comparison to be drawing, but I don't know how accurate that is. It also reminds me of aspects of Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan as well. I should read the rules.

There are some pretty crazy negotiations going on in Archipelago. I was just looking at it, and I found this tidbit: you have an auction for the start player, but THAT player sets the turn order for everybody else. So you have to negotiate with HIM for a good position. Plus, there's always the threat that everybody loses if there's a revolt. Sounds cool.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    After missing a bargain on a copy of Fleet Captains I find myself wanting to get it anyway. Anyone have it, and able to give impressions of it?

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    After missing a bargain on a copy of Fleet Captains I find myself wanting to get it anyway. Anyone have it, and able to give impressions of it?

I've got it, and would have the expansion too if I wasn't dirt-broke.

It's got the worst rulebook ever, but isn't actually complicated. It's not a wargame, it's an adventure game, like a whole season of Trek every time you play. Any given game might have no PvP combat, or loads of it. The card quality is awful but the ships are amazing.

I love it and play it any time I can. If the players like Trek, they'll like this.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

I played it at BGG Con, if that counts. Have you ever played a game where the theme or the nostalgia made it difficult to objectively rate it? That's this game. If you are a big fan of Star Trek, you should get this game. Seriously. It really captures the trekkie spirit. I merely like Star Trek, and even I am tempted to buy it for the excellent embodiment of the theme alone.

But let's say you aren't a huge fan, or are hesitant to spend the cash. You know what the mechanics remind me of? Let's see if you can guess. You go from place to place, having little adventures. The effects of those adventures (whether good or bad) persist as you continue around the map, which gives each player a narrative structure for the game. You sometimes get sent to the far ends of the map to complete a task. See where I'm going? It's like Tales of the Arabian Nights! Seriously, if I house-ruled TotAN so that you had multiple concurrent mini-quests or goals (i.e. "successfully seduce somebody" or "have an encounter in 4 different regions"), simplistic combat between players, and changed the win conditions to be "complete X number of mini-quests", I would have something strangely similar to ST:FC.

The point is, this is not a mechanics-heavy game (though there's often a lot going on). It's a game that tends to create a fun story for you as a player, and then a story for each of your ships, and even in a limited way a story for each character that you place on each ship. The kinds of stories that it tells is more or less up to you, because during setup you choose the mini-decks that combine to give you your "command deck" where you draw your hand of cards from (i.e. the "Captain Kirk" deck or the "Code of Honor" deck). You can also change the initial map layout to force more or less interaction. Overall it has a bunch of little mechanics that can be combined in interesting ways to solve various problems.

TL;DR -- It's a big, sloppy, delicious pile of Ameritrash and Star Trek.

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been looking at Dixit, it helps that its relatively inexpensive but has multiple expansions. I will see if my friends are interested in that game at all and then might order it off Amazon.

Aim for Odyssey first, as that will both supply you with two sets of rules for up to twelve players and an insert that will hold the cards for three out of four sets.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    jergarmar wrote: »

I played it at BGG Con, if that counts. Have you ever played a game where the theme or the nostalgia made it difficult to objectively rate it? That's this game. If you are a big fan of Star Trek, you should get this game. Seriously. It really captures the trekkie spirit. I merely like Star Trek, and even I am tempted to buy it for the excellent embodiment of the theme alone.

But let's say you aren't a huge fan, or are hesitant to spend the cash. You know what the mechanics remind me of? Let's see if you can guess. You go from place to place, having little adventures. The effects of those adventures (whether good or bad) persist as you continue around the map, which gives each player a narrative structure for the game. You sometimes get sent to the far ends of the map to complete a task. See where I'm going? It's like Tales of the Arabian Nights! Seriously, if I house-ruled TotAN so that you had multiple concurrent mini-quests or goals (i.e. "successfully seduce somebody" or "have an encounter in 4 different regions"), simplistic combat between players, and changed the win conditions to be "complete X number of mini-quests", I would have something strangely similar to ST:FC.

The point is, this is not a mechanics-heavy game (though there's often a lot going on). It's a game that tends to create a fun story for you as a player, and then a story for each of your ships, and even in a limited way a story for each character that you place on each ship. The kinds of stories that it tells is more or less up to you, because during setup you choose the mini-decks that combine to give you your "command deck" where you draw your hand of cards from (i.e. the "Captain Kirk" deck or the "Code of Honor" deck). You can also change the initial map layout to force more or less interaction. Overall it has a bunch of little mechanics that can be combined in interesting ways to solve various problems.

TL;DR -- It's a big, sloppy, delicious pile of Ameritrash and Star Trek.

I'd agree with this, although I'm not sure I agree with the ToTAN comparison, because usually people diss ToTAN as 'Not A Game' and Fleet Captains is definitely a game.

I added my only house-rule ever to Fleet Captains, as I don't really hold with them:

Normally you can cycle out (discard and replace) a command card and a mission card freely once per turn. This makes everyone cycle their mission deck for the easiest, dullest missions. In our games, you have to spend an action from a ship - 'Fleet Action' - to cycle that one command card and one mission card. This literally transformed the game, making us have to think hard about which missions to try for, and making the weirder, more complex missions much more likely to be attempted.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Shut Up and Sit Down wrote almost exactly what jergarmar did about Fleet Captains as well

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Shut Up and Sit Down wrote almost exactly what jergarmar did about Fleet Captains as well

Kind of, but I got the impression they didn't like it and he did.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

Kind of, but I got the impression they didn't like it and he did.

well yeah but for the same reason.

It's a super random ameritrash game that has very high quality components.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Just want to state it before it's too late:
    We're on page 100. Someone make a new thread already.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Last!

• Options
    Man, I feel all guilty for stomping all over MrBody's "last". Forgive!

Sooo.... the OP is mine (and is, in fact, my first OP), but I feel a little weird about just c&p'ing it into a new thread. Seems a bit self-serving and perhaps redundant. But is that how it works? I mean, I have a few new games to add, but I wouldn't be changing it substantially.

My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options

Sooo.... the OP is mine (and is, in fact, my first OP), but I feel a little weird about just c&p'ing it into a new thread. Seems a bit self-serving and perhaps redundant. But is that how it works? I mean, I have a few new games to add, but I wouldn't be changing it substantially.

Nah that's just what you do. You don't have to add a thing if you don't want to, just paste it over.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I don't know how many people will see this, but for everyone who seems to unrelentingly double-post for quotes, you know that you can add as many quotes as you want to a single post, right? It'll always just amend it to whatever your current draft is. A little spacing between them makes it all very readable ...
    </petpeeve>

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Having one of those bored at work afternoons where I surf here and the Geek and Amazon and just want to buy all the board games.

The only issue being that when I do buy all the board games I so rarely ever get to play all the board games.

Ah well, working on the little one as an additional player. I forget who it was in this thread that suggested Habba Games for toddlers but my 2 year old loves My First Orchard and will ask to play it so very, very, many times in a row until we distract her with something else. More toddler friendly games for Christmas are very much called for methinks!

The cutest is bit is how her hand is far too small to roll the dice around in, so she'll just clutch it as tightly as she can and wave her fist around like mad in the air before triumphantly chucking the dice in the box lid.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So, I have a question for the board game thread:

I am into game design, and I've done a couple that were... sort of alright... but not worth trying to publish or anything.

For the last year or so I've been working on one main game and a couple of other side-projects. It's been slow going because I've also been studying for exams, starting my own business, and other timesinks. But I nearly have it at a stage where it's ready for decent playtesting.

The trouble is, it's quite similar to Marvel Legendary that just got released. Now, I know I'm not going to buy the Marvel license from them, but I did think it would be worth making as Print and Play or just for my game group. But if it's too similar too Marvel Legendary, nobody is gonna want to even play it, and they'll think I'm a ripoff merchant too.

So can you help me decide if it is too similar?

I'll describe it inside a spoiler to protect your eyes:
    It's a deck-building and role-selection competitive card game. The base set is the Avengers, but it's expandable for other teams. The different Avengers are the roles, and while there are 12 available, you only have (number of players+2) in any given game. These are chosen randomly, although some of them have relationships that affect this, so for example if you select The Wasp, you also put Hank Pym into the game too.

Each role is a double-sized card like a player board, and each turn roles are selected just like in Puerto Rico, with the First Player marker moving on after each turn. Each role card has 3 abilities: one that affects all players, one that is unique to the character, and one that gives that player bonuses depending on what other players do on their turn. Each role card is also linked to the 5 types of cards that are in the game: Places, Gear, Enemies, Allies and Stories.

There are 12 decks of enemies, and you choose some of them randomly each game and shuffle them together to make the Enemy deck. The other decks are each a mix of 4 subdecks, with half of those being generic and half being Avengers-specific. So the ally deck, for example, has Civilians, Combatants, SHIELD and Assembled Avengers (minor Avengers).

The play area, a bit like Ascension's offer, is a 5x5 grid. You start off by dealing 5 cards each from each deck type down in a line, but as the game goes on the available types change. Each Hero is associated with a type - Gear for Iron Man, Stories for Ms Marvel and so on. On their turn they buy cards using the resources on their cards, and then fill the gaps in the Field with either that type of card or an Enemy.

So if you chose Captain America this turn, any card(s) he bought or Enemies he defeated could be replaced either by drawing an Ally or an Enemy, or a combination of both. Enemies also affect the field when they come out, in different ways depending on their type, so the 5x5 field becomes a semi-random, semi-controllable world. I had the old AI Life Game with the changing pixels in mind when designing this.

You win by Hero Points, which are on Enemies of course. There are 4 resources total - Heart, Insight, Power and Heroism, all of which can be used to buy things.

There is lots more to it, but those are the basics. Chose a hero whose abilities work for you and don't help others too much, spend cards to buy cards and defeat enemies, refill the Field with cards that hopefully work for you not them, hope people do things on their turn that work for you (e.g. Hulk gets to Rage and draw a card every time another player reveals an Enemy). When I say hope, I mean manipulate of course.

So:

It's a Marvel Heroes deckbuilder. It has an 'offer' of cards to buy. It has some of the 'VP cards clog my hand' thing of Dominion and Thunderstone, but not as much because you can buy things with Heroism.

But:

It has role selection
    It is more complex, with 4 resources and some interactions between them. It tries to address some of the common deck building problems, such as runaway leaders and no-brainer turns.
    It is thematic, as each Hero Role Board has it's three powers chosen to be very thematic, and characters with relationships affect each other if chosen
    It has a complex semi-controllable offer that thematically matches the heroes and villains in use.
    It is competitive. Indirect competition, but the Roles and the ability to choose what goes into the Field give a lot more interaction than Ascension, Thunderstone or Dominion.

So if you slogged through that, do you think, ASSUMING THIS GAME DOESN'T SUCK, it is sufficiently different from Marvel Legendary to bother with? Or should I chalk it down to experience and put my attention on another design? I don't have any more exams for another 6 months, so now I can really knuckle down to some designing.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    Having one of those bored at work afternoons where I surf here and the Geek and Amazon and just want to buy all the board games.

The only issue being that when I do buy all the board games I so rarely ever get to play all the board games.

Ah well, working on the little one as an additional player. I forget who it was in this thread that suggested Habba Games for toddlers but my 2 year old loves My First Orchard and will ask to play it so very, very, many times in a row until we distract her with something else. More toddler friendly games for Christmas are very much called for methinks!

The cutest is bit is how her hand is far too small to roll the dice around in, so she'll just clutch it as tightly as she can and wave her fist around like mad in the air before triumphantly chucking the dice in the box lid.

Gulo Gulo was my daughter's favourite game at that age, and it handicaps adults because it's physically easier for kids to do the dexterity parts, so you don't even have to let kids win. They will kick your ass all on their own.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I'm a strong believer that most ideas are inevitable. Everything builds on something else, and it's almost unreasonable to think you'd be the only one to come up with something, or get discouraged because someone else came up with it too.

So I say even if it's similar to Marvel's game, go with it anyways. Although I would strongly suggest retheming it, even if it's just to print and play with your own friends.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

Nah that's just what you do. You don't have to add a thing if you don't want to, just paste it over.

Well, if that's okay, then I'll use the opportunity to write up a few more games, and put up the new thread over the next day or two. Thanks, posh.

My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, for anyone interested, there's a Coupon Code for Coolstuff that's $10 off an order of $50 or more. Promo code is cn41. That's a free X-wing expansion!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, for anyone interested, there's a Coupon Code for Coolstuff that's $10 off an order of $50 or more. Promo code is cn41. That's a free X-wing expansion!

That's also pretty close to free shipping if you don't break the $100 threshold. Very tempting.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, FFG just announced a new game. Masques. Its apparently a reprint of a game called Intrigo that came out in 2010? Had never heard of it, but the game definitely sounds interesting. Anyone have any experience with the original version?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    It was one of those things that sounded interesting but I was never able to pull the trigger on for whatever reason.

• Options
    I am still really hoping for some opinions on my dilemma above, because I keep vacillating between that game and another good one (that's at a much earlier stage).

I change my mind about once an hour.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Got a copy of Dixit Odyssey at the local game shop. Looking forward to getting some friends together to try it out.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Got my copy of Agents of SMERSH in the mail today! Hopefully I'll be able to try it out on Monday. I'll post impressions afterwards.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I picked up Small World for myself along with Say Anything and Wits & Wagers for my wife's sister and her husband and We Didn't Playtest This At All for a white elephant in a couple weeks. Biggest single game purchase I've made in a long while.
    Really hoping to get some Small World in soon-ish.

Aaaaand where's the new thread? I believe I heard dibs called on it...

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm STILL waiting for my copy of Smersh. Was REALLY hoping to take my GF to watch Skyfall this weekend and then play this, so meh.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Article 27 had to be postponed to Saturday. Here's hoping people won't cancel on me again. :/

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    I'm STILL waiting for my copy of Smersh.

They just started shipping copies, I lucked out somehow on getting in the first wave. Also you don't get emailed any shipping confirmation so it'll just show up magically.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    How does Fortress America play 1v1? I'm a HUGE Ameritrash fan and vaguely remember liking the original printing 20+ years ago.

I've actually got an Amazon discount I have to use before midnight today, and want to find something that scales really well for 2 players and also 4 or more players. Recommendations? I'm thinking the aformentioned Fortress America or Infilitration. Netrunner or X-Wing would be my top choices, but the 2 player limit takes them off my list.

• Options
    I went to two board game stores today, containing almost every board game out there, and I couldn't find anything I really wanted to buy. I'm confused.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    space alert. you wanted to buy space alert.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    How does Fortress America play 1v1? I'm a HUGE Ameritrash fan and vaguely remember liking the original printing 20+ years ago.

Is there any other way to play Fortress America? Trying to do more doesn't really work. The invading side is only as strong as their weakest player, and I forget which but one of the invaders is always heavily favored to have more points than everyone (yellow I think? Blue and Red have more cities but they're bogged down with more resistance).

I haven't played the new game, but I have recently played the original. It gives you the illusion of having a choice for setup but really every game is the same. The only variation is die and card luck.

If you're not bothered by the same game every time (Axis & Allies) then go for it. Myself I wouldn't go for it unless they significantly altered the rules. In fact I think I'll go over to BGG and check out the new version rule book right now!

• Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    space alert. you wanted to buy space alert.

I really didn't. I don't enjoy Space Alert.