Options

All shall [chat] me and despair!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The one thing that wracks my nerves about potentially having kids of my own someday is just how many variables factor into how they will turn out and how many are out of your hands. I can point to so many hugely changing instances in my own life that just happened.

It's not like you can plan "Have an amazing sixth grade teacher that instills a life long love of learning"

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    FPS multiplayer on consoles is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet tits.

Mmm, dat black ops.

Why play on a console when I can play on a PC?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    If you need to aim so god damn precisely, maybe you should just be looking in the right direction in the first place. Heyooooooooooooooooooo.

Situational awareness, Lana.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Because my thumbs and the thumbs of Japanese kids are stronger than your entire hands, Mazzy. Also giant screens, surround sound and comfy chairs. Heyooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

It is not hard to aim. But I've had this argument where people apparently think the laser finger of god jesus mouse is all saving instead of just knowing where enemies will be by not being a dumb.

I'm terrible at shooting people. Utterly terrible. How do I constantly go like +20 in FPS games? I figure out how the dumbs think. The haves and the have nots.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Also my first computer game ever was Mario Bros. on the Commodore 64.

TI-99/4A or an Apple IIGS. I want to say there was some Buck Rogers game on the TI.

• Options
    And if there's one thing I like about FPS games as opposed to others, it is that it is all about beating up on the dumbs. Nonstop. Over and over. They can pare down killstreaks in each call of duty game but it is still the haves beating up on the have nots.

• Options
    When I play FPS on a console because aiming is such crap I play a very mobility oriented, outflanking based game with close ranged weapons like shotguns. Basically try to be one step ahead non stop. High risk high reward play.

When I play FPS on a PC because aiming is godly I play a much more slow paced, team oriented game with covering fire, overlapping fields of fire, proper cover usage, etc Consistent low risk play.

I have fun with both (though there are certain styles of FPS I would never want to play on a controller, Red Orchestra on a controller for example would be awful) but they are different experiences for sure.

• Options
    Because my thumbs and the thumbs of Japanese kids are stronger than your entire hands, Mazzy. Also giant screens, surround sound and comfy chairs. Heyooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

It is not hard to aim. But I've had this argument where people apparently think the laser finger of god jesus mouse is all saving instead of just knowing where enemies will be by not being a dumb.

I'm terrible at shooting people. Utterly terrible. How do I constantly go like +20 in FPS games? I figure out how the dumbs think. The haves and the have nots.

You get use to consoles. But the whole TV, surround sound argument means little to me. My pc and my tv are in the same room. I can use my TV as my monitor anytime I want. Because you know HDMI works from PCs as well.

I am better with a mouse. You might be better with a controller. At this point it comes down to your preference. I prefer mouse and keyboard. I have a super accurate mouse. It is great most of the time. And I enjoy fps on the system I have been playing them on since 1996.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I will be 2 k/d ration in blops2 soon with a run and gun style. I never stop moving unless I duck into a corner cause a duder is coming. Hack all equipment, destroy all killstreaks instantly.

viva la spray!

• Options
    Or oh god trying to play Tribes with a controller.

That sounds super gross.

• Options
    I will be 2 k/d ration in blops2 soon with a run and gun style. I never stop moving unless I duck into a corner cause a duder is coming. Hack all equipment, destroy all killstreaks instantly.

viva la spray!

And that works in games that support that kind of play, but not all FPS do.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    I played hotline miami with a controller and A+d everything eat that KBM nerds

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    I've never played Tribes so I don't know. I just know, and I seldom say I KNOW, that PC people underestimate the precision of a controller. It is a DIFFERENT SKILLSET but it is not inherently worse. That there is aim correction on some games isn't proof of anything. Man, that fucking sensitivity goes so high. And it has varying speeds!

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

That sounds super gross.

I have tried this, accidentally.

That is, at a friend's house and we were playing Dark Souls. Left the controller plugged in when I launched Tribes. We jostled it and noticed that it moved the camera.

Being enterprising and adventurous, I played a round or two with it.

I do not recommend the experience.

• Options
    If I'm proud of anything in my gaming career it's that I've proved that you can aim for shit and have slow reflexes and just out think people in twitch games. People are so predictable.

• Options

That sounds super gross.

A lot of the pc designed fps tend to be built for that increased accuracy, high speed turns and so on. Tribes was like this. Hell Counterstrike has always been like this. The idea of trying to playing counterstrike on a console sounds painful.

Console FPS games have come leaps and bounds from where they were in the PS2 era or the PS1 era. They are playable. I can have fun though I have no interest in doing multiplayer with them.

Actually what is funny since so many games are designed for console and pc pc gamers complain that hit boxes are too fuzzy because they are designed that way to help consoles players compensate for using a controller. Because you can't do a precise hit on a small target at high speed like you can with a pc.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I wonder what it's like playing Dark Souls w/ a KBM. I bet it is not fun.

• Options

I can also recommend that you avoid this experience.

• Options
    dude, you date yourself real bad by not knowing that counterstrike has spawned the hugest most successful console FPS series

it's called Call of Duty. in fact, Counterstrike is on console now as a downloadable title

• Options

You don't you plug in a controller.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    You die in milliseconds in Call of Duty games. No matter how fast your aiming is, you will never be able to turn around and shoot a guy who is drilling you from the side or back. So the difference between mouse and controller is irrelevant. It's about situational awareness.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

TI-99/4A or an Apple IIGS. I want to say there was some Buck Rogers game on the TI.

Never owned any Apple computers. Sure played them plenty in gradeschool though. I dunno what happened to our copy of Mario Bros. for the C64. The only games we left had up until about 10 years ago were Rambo: First Blood, Knight Games, Pitfall, and some GI Joe based game. Oh and some vague flight game too. Actually two of them but one was less about the flight sim and more just shooting things below you.

Then my mother moved into the mountains and trashed the computer and all the stuff for it. Damn was I mad about that.

• Options
    I do think a KBM halo player would beat a controller halo player. In CoD games... little to no advantage.

• Options
    I've never played Tribes so I don't know. I just know, and I seldom say I KNOW, that PC people underestimate the precision of a controller. It is a DIFFERENT SKILLSET but it is not inherently worse. That there is aim correction on some games isn't proof of anything. Man, that fucking sensitivity goes so high. And it has varying speeds!

It is worse. In most cases it's really not that much worse, and really what matters is that everyone is playing under the same set of rules, ie with the same types of controllers. But really Tribes would not work with a controller. You want your sensitivity to be as low as you can possibly stand in that game, yet also you sometimes need to turn around very quickly. This works with a mouse because of the wide range of inputs you can do, from barely moving your hand at all to sliding your mouse half a foot. It's very noticeable when you watch good snipers because you can see the multiple times they are lifting their mouse just to make a 180 (they want their sensitive very low even by Tribes standards). There is just a wider range of possible inputs and a tighter control over those inputs with a mouse.

• Options
    dude, you date yourself real bad by not knowing that counterstrike has spawned the hugest most successful console FPS series

it's called Call of Duty. in fact, Counterstrike is on console now as a downloadable title

Hey, Call of Duty was a pc only release at first. Don't fight me on this bro. I have been down this road. Yes Counterstrike is now on consoles. Counterstrike(not valves version, the HL1 mod) was pc only. Hell it stayed PC only till pretty much orange box and the PC was and I am pretty sure considered the go to for its professional play. But I have been out of the FPS thing a long time.

Trust me bro, you don't want to play Call of Duty 1 on a console. It is ugly. Hell I have the Call of Duty that was released on the PS2, it ain't pretty.

Also I think you are thinking more Day of Defeat, which again started on PC. Again a third party modding group. And again I was playing it before consoles had heard of of Halo.

Trust me bro, I know my fps history.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    If I'm proud of anything in my gaming career it's that I've proved that you can aim for shit and have slow reflexes and just out think people in twitch games. People are so predictable.

woah get a load of this alpha guy

ha ha, just kidding buddy. sometimes i like to poke fun with my good friends on the internet

but seriously hit me up on XBL if you're good and can throw down

i'm pretty good, here is one of my highlight reels, for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhNFrPtbKGc

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    By Call of Duty I mean the series began at Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. All previous games do not exist.

• Options
    I also don't think Quake 3 would work on consoles, or at least, watching someone with a controller play someone with KBM would be a very one sided experience.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    tarranon, we are already friends on xbl but i moved on from halo to blops2!

also you haven't been on in forever.

i'm still like 1.4-1.7 in halo 4. i forget. i don't like it very much. :(

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    OTLC you are like ege wrong.

The wrongest of the wrongest.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    The one thing that wracks my nerves about potentially having kids of my own someday is just how many variables factor into how they will turn out and how many are out of your hands. I can point to so many hugely changing instances in my own life that just happened.

It's not like you can plan "Have an amazing sixth grade teacher that instills a life long love of learning"

It's disturbing, certainly. But good parents stack the deck heavily in their kid's favor. So I hope you don't let this put you off having kids.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    By Call of Duty I mean the series began at Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. All previous games do not exist.

Which only exist thanks to Halo making the successful transition from the tradition fps console shitstorm to playable.

Before that all you really had was Perfect Dark and Golden Eye. Both excellent games but not up to modern FPS standards.

I ain't dated bro, I just know my history.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    tarranon, we are already friends on xbl but i moved on from halo to blops2!

also you haven't been on in forever.

i'm still like 1.4-1.7 in halo 4. i forget. i don't like it very much. :(

I lent Halo 4 to my sick and dying brother in law because I am a good man

I'll steal it back after he has his tonsils removed. Probably.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Tamin wrote: »

Never owned any Apple computers. Sure played them plenty in gradeschool though. I dunno what happened to our copy of Mario Bros. for the C64. The only games we left had up until about 10 years ago were Rambo: First Blood, Knight Games, Pitfall, and some GI Joe based game. Oh and some vague flight game too. Actually two of them but one was less about the flight sim and more just shooting things below you.

Then my mother moved into the mountains and trashed the computer and all the stuff for it. Damn was I mad about that.

I would have been furious

I managed to save the TI from storage, but it doesn't work. I need to figure out if it's entirely dead or if just the power supply has failed. One of those "eventually" things.

• Options

It's disturbing, certainly. But good parents stack the deck heavily in their kid's favor. So I hope you don't let this put you off having kids.

Down the road mayhaps but it is nothing I need to worry about too soon. I plan on working with kids via education and having a positive impact that way at the very least.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Being a parent is hard work anyone who says otherwise is a liar and an asshole

• Options
    Also Castle I don't think you ever played CS at a high level on the PC. Dying in about 2 seconds was normal if you fucked up. And people's mouse sensitivity was crazy high where you could 180 pretty much instantly because if you didn't, well you be fucked.

It is a different skill set to do fps on a PC than a console. I suck at consoles since I don't practice and I like fps on my pc.

Doesn't mean it is a less worthy skill set though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Pro level Quake 3 is pretty interesting to watch, at least once, imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm8rSxOMmWA

It's really about exerting your control over the map and the buffs.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Which only exist thanks to Halo making the successful transition from the tradition fps console shitstorm to playable.

Before that all you really had was Perfect Dark and Golden Eye. Both excellent games but not up to modern FPS standards.

I ain't dated bro, I just know my history.

CoD2 had modern controls, and played well enough that, while it feels like a launch title, it still fits in with the current generation.

But CoD4 was on another level. The storytelling and single-player gameplay has never been matched, let alone surpassed, by any military FPS, let alone any subsequent CoD.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
This discussion has been closed.