Options

Why worry? Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his [chat]

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    has anyone ever had an ent go in and clean out their ears

it is a transcendent experience, i highly recommend

I want this so badly. There are youtube videos that are a borderline fetish of mine. I just KNOW there's a bunch of shit in there and I'm not falling for ear candles.

they get these loooooong tiny grabbers and go in there and just start pulling out all this crap from your ears

everything is way louder when they are done!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

I want this so badly. There are youtube videos that are a borderline fetish of mine. I just KNOW there's a bunch of shit in there and I'm not falling for ear candles.
    my ears are so awful

they periodically get completely blocked

i can't for the life of me get that shit out of there

stupid ears

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I remember I was at a tournament and a teammate's parents were in attendence. The field conditions were really terrible (uneven patches of grass interspersed with gravel/dirt) so I quickly lost a lot of skin underneath my elbows and right above my hips from diving around on that crap.

Dude's mom saw all my missing skin and decided that something must be done. So she goes to the convenience store and buys a big bottle of hydrogen peroxide and gets one of my good friends to just pour that shit all over my open wounds. Then she gave me the rest of the bottle for future use, which my friend gladly held onto and took special delight in bringing it to every tournament for the rest of the year.

But hey, I never got an infection so I guess it worked?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    I don't need to take medicine that is dangerous atm at least. But I try to keep an eye out and read up anyway.

I'm taking a sort of dangerous one, but as long as I avoid this ONE COMMON NUTRIENT I'm ok.

I got some new pain pills a while back. In small text on the back:

"IF YOU DRINK ALCOHOL WITHIN TWO DAYS OF TAKING THESE YOU WILL STOP BREATHING AND DIE"

"DO NOT EAT A BANANA OR YOUR HEART WILL STOP" is basically what this one should say.

I heard about a friend of a friend who's pills should have said

"IF ALCOHOL; MIGHT GET NUDE AND PASS OUT IN SNOW. LATER MIGHT THREATEN POLICE OFFICERS WITH RIFLE AND GET SENT TO PRISON"

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    my pharm friend tells me that he's had multiple scripts by doctors that would actually kill people outright

As a person working with doctors,

pharm people are the worst don't trust them. They're only like two steps above patients, who are the for-real worst.

(This is probably why I am not going to try to join a profession where I have to deal with people. I am not so good at it.)
    Having worked in pharmacy, I'm interested that the perception of incompetence goes both ways. I've known some really dickish and unpleasant pharmacists, but they are usually quite sharp.

I am actually not sure about pharmacists, since I very rarely talk to them. I'm more complaining about the people who end up answering the phone. It is not rare that someone will call saying "Diastat comes in 10 mg only" and we will tell them "No, it's a dial, you have to turn it down to 7.5" or otherwise tell them how to do their job. And then there's stuff like saying "That medicine doesn't exist/isn't out" instead of "we cannot currently get this for your patient," which is just.. weird?

I mean it's certainly not everyone, but yesterday I had to look up a generic name for a medication because the pharmacist, who had the brand name, couldn't find it. I typed it in and the first result was literally a press release from fda.gov about the drug.

Stuff like that gets to you sometimes. Again, it's definitely not like, everyone, but pharmacies can be huge headaches sometimes.

(I was being hyperbolic in my original post though. Most pharmacy people are fine, and patients aren't the for-real worst, insurance companies are.)

On this we can agree.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I love sociology. In hindsight, I wish I had majored in it instead of Japanese in college. No idea what I would have done with it though.

I made a friend into an enemy a few years ago joking about this. She mentioned her sociology major and I very light-heartedly said something like, "so really you majored in nothing," and yeah, I got called some foul shit.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

Here you go Donkey Kong. Enjoy your fetish.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I doubt philosophy is going to spin out many more useful sciences, now that science is its own thing.

I think something new might come out of the intersections of neurology, philosophy, and computer science.
    Technomancer.jpg

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The sad part is, I know in 10 years time I'm gonna have some young student calling me out on all my outdated knowledge.

And I'll be all "d-did you know digoxin is actually poison? From the foxgl-" and they'll be all "WE CURED HEART DISEASE 4 YEARS AGO GRANDAD"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

they get these loooooong tiny grabbers and go in there and just start pulling out all this crap from your ears

Huh, maybe I should do that.

My hearing is...not horrible, but not great. My wife comments on it from time to time.

Maybe it's just impacted wax and other shit gunking my ears up. I'll have to make an appointment.

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

This is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    1JlWn.gif

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    What the fuck, hydrogen peroxide? Why did you have to turn bad without telling anyone?
    At school we used H2O2 to learn about enzymes by getting it to produce pure oxygen and then blow test tubes up. People willingly put that on their skin?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my pharm friend tells me that he's had multiple scripts by doctors that would actually kill people outright

pharm people are the worst don't trust them. They're only like two steps above patients, who are the for-real worst.

(This is probably why I am not going to try to join a profession where I have to deal with people. I am not so good at it.)
    Having worked in pharmacy, I'm interested that the perception of incompetence goes both ways. I've known some really dickish and unpleasant pharmacists, but they are usually quite sharp.

I am actually not sure about pharmacists, since I very rarely talk to them. I'm more complaining about the people who end up answering the phone. It is not rare that someone will call saying "Diastat comes in 10 mg only" and we will tell them "No, it's a dial, you have to turn it down to 7.5" or otherwise tell them how to do their job. And then there's stuff like saying "That medicine doesn't exist/isn't out" instead of "we cannot currently get this for your patient," which is just.. weird?

I mean it's certainly not everyone, but yesterday I had to look up a generic name for a medication because the pharmacist, who had the brand name, couldn't find it. I typed it in and the first result was literally a press release from fda.gov about the drug.

Stuff like that gets to you sometimes. Again, it's definitely not like, everyone, but pharmacies can be huge headaches sometimes.

(I was being hyperbolic in my original post though. Most pharmacy people are fine, and patients aren't the for-real worst, insurance companies are.)

On this we can agree.

I think everyone who has ever worked in medicine ever could agree.

I have seen companies stop covering generic anti-seizure medicine from the sixties.

I have had to get prior authorizations for drugs for multiple sclerosis.

I have had insurance companies tell patients that medication is covered when it, in fact, requires a prior authorization that the patient might not meet the criteria for.

They are so bad.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

My hearing is...not horrible, but not great. My wife comments on it from time to time.

Maybe it's just impacted wax and other shit gunking my ears up. I'll have to make an appointment.

your hearing is fine, you've just learned to tune your wife out

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I found a picture that kinda sorta looks like chu

(if you're blind in one eye (so he may be really confused))
    I1RzU.jpg

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

That is called an ear whip. Fun fact: A doctor will puncture an average of eight ear canals learning how to use one.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    :(

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That video is far more disturbing than the bit in Wrath of Khan were a bug is dropped into Chekov's ear.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I admit to not being awed by Lucy Liu's acting skill.

Maybe I should watch that Sherlock rip-off and see if my opinion changes, since I haven't actually seen her act in years.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    the studies regarding H2O2 being ineffective to treat wounds at ~30% concentration were done in the mid-90s mostly from what I can tell. The bits on the low % concentration being ineffective are more recent. It's an antiseptic but it damages the body about as much.

Given a ridiculous situation, there's nothing wrong with using H2O2 in small doses to clean wounds, but I wouldn't plan on doing that in any case. It's really good for getting biological stuff off of objects, though.

That sounds like you're misremembering some crucial details.

In plant biology, they use concentrated bleach to sterilize plants - because although it damages the tissues of the plant, the internals and bulk of material is preserved, while surface pathogens (the only place they can be if it's viable) are destroyed. The same logic applies to the human epidermis - infections are single cellular, whereas humans can survive an incredible amount of superficial damage provided the infections don't get into the intracellular skin layers or bloodstream.

So you can't be damaging the human body "just as much". Infections will fucking kill you - you'll heal from a chemical burn provided it's sterile.

I suspect what you're actually remembering is a study which looked at rates of complications, and found milder treatments to be just as effective (i.e. because you don't create more damage areas for an infection to take hold, or because they do indeed clean up the wound). But I'm speculating from first-principles here.

But basically, human bodies don't have hitpoints - there's a world of difference in the nature of damage done.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

hm

my GP actually referred me to an ENT to get my left ear cleared out back in August but i kept forgetting to schedule an appointment

i should go

poo
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    My dad's wife has a Doctorates in Pharmacology. Doctor Phramacist.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Try this too

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

your hearing is fine, you just have a wife

FTFY

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    playing dayz

on a norwegian server that has apparently made vehicles spawn everywhere

so me and a noob are driving around, him in a pickup me in a police car

I don't have a gun, but I have a trunk full of medical supplies.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, there is no blackened, hard plug of ancient earwax in my ear. But I still want to live the dream, you know?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I hate how utterly unreasonable I become when I'm sick. At least I'm still sane enough to talk myself out of saying hateful things to the pharmacist because my doctor sent the prescription to the wrong pharmacy.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    the studies regarding H2O2 being ineffective to treat wounds at ~30% concentration were done in the mid-90s mostly from what I can tell. The bits on the low % concentration being ineffective are more recent. It's an antiseptic but it damages the body about as much.

Given a ridiculous situation, there's nothing wrong with using H2O2 in small doses to clean wounds, but I wouldn't plan on doing that in any case. It's really good for getting biological stuff off of objects, though.

In plant biology, they use concentrated bleach to sterilize plants - because although it damages the tissues of the plant, the internals and bulk of material is preserved, while surface pathogens (the only place they can be if it's viable) are destroyed. The same logic applies to the human epidermis - infections are single cellular, whereas humans can survive an incredible amount of superficial damage provided the infections don't get into the intracellular skin layers or bloodstream.

So you can't be damaging the human body "just as much". Infections will fucking kill you - you'll heal from a chemical burn provided it's sterile.

I suspect what you're actually remembering is a study which looked at rates of complications, and found milder treatments to be just as effective (i.e. because you don't create more damage areas for an infection to take hold, or because they do indeed clean up the wound). But I'm speculating from first-principles here.

But basically, human bodies don't have hitpoints - there's a world of difference in the nature of damage done.

nah I just explained it badly and I completely agree with you

• Options

On this we can agree.

I think everyone who has ever worked in medicine ever could agree.

I have seen companies stop covering generic anti-seizure medicine from the sixties.

I have had to get prior authorizations for drugs for multiple sclerosis.

I have had insurance companies tell patients that medication is covered when it, in fact, requires a prior authorization that the patient might not meet the criteria for.

They are so bad.

My insurance company had a urologist decide on not giving me money. A urologist might not be an expert on hepatology I said.

Fuck you, pay me.

Get paid.

Thug life.

Fuck all insurance companies. It is insane the shit they pull. They are paid for a service they often do not have to even provide. But when one of their clients get sick and they have to PROVIDE THE AGREED SERVICE (that was paid for IN ADVANCE) they try to do everything to get out of it.

I believe maybe 80% of people in medical insurance are worthy of actual hell.

• Options
    Ah damn, that is some sensual ear wax removal music.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    DK, I am both intrigued and horrified.
    I don't know if I should be throwing up or not right now.

Bless your heart.
  • Options

Try this too

Already fapped to this

jk

I mean barfed.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/health/19real.html?_r=0
    According to most studies of its effectiveness, not really. Parents and school nurses might insist otherwise, but researchers have found that hydrogen peroxide has little ability to reduce bacteria in wounds and can actually inflame healthy skin cells that surround a cut or a scrape, increasing the amount of time wounds take to heal.
    Well, that is some childhood pain that served little purpose.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I hate how utterly unreasonable I become when I'm sick. At least I'm still sane enough to talk myself out of saying hateful things to the pharmacist because my doctor sent the prescription to the wrong pharmacy.

Some people just default to that state. Are you a mean drunk?

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    But basically, human bodies don't have hitpoints

is this how you comfort yourself, wizard

• Options
    I thought you lived in Sweden Honk.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Yeah, but it's risk reward; do you use this nuke method to surely clean out the wound and also set the healing back a few days, or use a safer antiseptic that'll kill 80% of the bacteria and do no harm to the wound? It's always gonna be the second one, cause damaging the tissue further is never worth cleaning it out.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ah damn, that is some sensual ear wax removal music.

I was watching that video. I keep earphones plugged in. But the volume was turned up loud enough so I can hear if the audio is interesting enough to listen to. And I hear this music

and then I realize if it is loud enough for me to hear

my cubicle neighbors can hear

and that sure does sound like stereotypical porn music

and welp

I turned the volume down

and I am now awaiting a visit

This discussion has been closed.