Options

The People are Represented by Two Separate yet Equally Important [Chat]s

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    @desc

For now

descpinkhair.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Some one hook me up with the source for that hair. There are too many pictures of Nikki Minaj with pink hair.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    An Englishman, an Irishman and a Geth walk into a bar.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    That moment when you're certain that you failed to back up some files in December of 2011 that have suddenly become crucial but then you find them and are reminded that you've been consistently awesome since 1987, motherfuckers

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    hello deeb i saw you sorry i did not stop to chat but you know

Dude. No worries. We acknowleged each other and moved the fuck on. Im not a big locker room conversationalist. :)

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?
    Hint: It's the Chinese

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

Wow this got to huge post size fast.

There are a couple more disputed areas with each of those countries and China but most of those are about EEZs and fishing rights. Less likely to cause major incidents.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Looks like there's a Firefall open beta this weekend. I think I'm gonna try it out. Anyone else?

For that matter, anyone tried the game already?

I tried it last year sometime. It seemed to have potential but there was not enough content at the time to make any real judgement.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    pinkitar me!
    pinkitar me!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Some one hook me up with the source for that hair. There are too many pictures of Nikki Minaj with pink hair.

This is my hackjob taken directly from SC's av:

pinkhair.png

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Rob is surprised, this is straight gangster.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Before switching to Robot Santa for the holidays, wasn't Geth called Legion?

Or am I just conflating things.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

Dude. You don't even know how weird the Star Trek obsession can be in Mississippi. It's fucking bizarre. Here you have a series that's basically about the best of humanity, equality, true freedom of (or from) religion, etc. And yet, somehow rednecks fucking love it, and the point is lost on them.

I think it's because Bones is from MS.

We can test that theory. Do they show Night of the Lepus on TV a lot?

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Some mod must be really bored right now.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    hello deeb i saw you sorry i did not stop to chat but you know

Dude. No worries. We acknowleged each other and moved the fuck on. Im not a big locker room conversationalist. :)

did you see each others ds

who is the dominant male

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Geth had agreed with my post before I even finished typing it. Or within a picosecond of hitting post. Not entirely sure.

I am now deeply scared.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    @desc

For now

descpinkhair.jpg

Saved it on my phone

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    i wish that bioware had never made mass effect 3

edit: and the final boss of ME2

It's that last 2% of the game that just...ugh.

The rest was amazing. It's all building and building and you're really feeling like you are accomplishing something big and then WHAM.

But on positive, at least we got multiplayer out of it. I hope that if they do intend to do another they keep that in some way.

i've written enough about why the last 20 minutes of ME3 were terrible, and i hope the fuckface who came up with that was fired from his job due in part to the massive amount of shit that bioware caught for his "art" but mostly due to the fact that he liked to shit his pants in the office and played his awful music way too loud. i bet he also stops randomly on the street to stare up at buildings but that's neither here nor there.
    ahahaha

no

Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were not fired for that ending

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

I get that the Chinese feel like they have very compelling reasons for why everyone's base are belong to them, but its still fucking bullshit. Claiming sea hundreds of miles away from your mainland, right up to the coastline of every other nation in the region is bullshit. I don't even mean the senkaku thing that could go either way, but claiming all Vietnam and the Philippines territorial waters is objectively indefenceable.

It would be the same as the UK looking at Norway and saying "well, our military is bigger than theirs and they have lots of oil, fuck it their sea belongs to us now".

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart, you have to be less subtle with how awesome Geth is.

• Options
    geth cannot be stopped

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Me3 was worth it for
    mordin's final mission

i was really upset
    mordin and geth were my 2 favorite characters next to my bro garrus.

latino roid bro was a good addition though.

i just didn't want geth or mordin to die

:'[
    with mordin at least there is a specific combination of choices from me2 that will allow you to save him in me3. i dont remember which off hand

i already explained why the ending of me3 didn't bother me so i wont go over that again except to note my disagreement with the chat consensus

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    hey, you know what's great

abortion debates on Facebook

or possibly the opposite

• Options

I get that the Chinese feel like they have very compelling reasons for why everyone's base are belong to them, but its still fucking bullshit. Claiming sea hundreds of miles away from your mainland, right up to the coastline of every other nation in the region is bullshit. I don't even mean the senkaku thing that could go either way, but claiming all Vietnam and the Philippines territorial waters is objectively indefenceable.

It would be the same as the UK looking at Norway and saying "well, our military is bigger than theirs and they have lots of oil, fuck it their sea belongs to us now".

The U.K. didn't do it to Norway. They did it to Iceland.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

While Casual did oversimplify, he wasn't really wrong.

Yes and no.

China doesn't see itself as the planet. It still has a very sino-centric view. But so have a very American-centric view.

And though it is partially a land grab. It is a land grab following legal precedents they have signed. And very much tied to China's need for domestic energy production since they import so much from the gulf the US could cut it off with a few ships in the Malacca Strait.

The map is funny but again China is using what it considers traditional claims. This will probably end up in bilateral negotiations and if the Philippines and Vietnam were smart they would force to the Court from the Convention on the Law of the Sea. Of course that would piss China off but they signed the treaty too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I am Bizarro Geth.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Materials science book is more interesting than my teacher is.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Bless up, Earth humans

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Me3 was worth it for
    mordin's final mission

i was really upset
    mordin and geth were my 2 favorite characters next to my bro garrus.

latino roid bro was a good addition though.

i just didn't want geth or mordin to die

:'[

I had ME1 and 3 on 360 and 2 on my PC.
    It was really disappointing and I really wish I had got 2 on the 360. Geth is not in ME3 at all for me, I just got some dumb new guy. Wrex and a few other characters are gone, too. Fortunately Mordin remained.

• Options
    Gonmun wrote: »
    i wish that bioware had never made mass effect 3

edit: and the final boss of ME2

It's that last 2% of the game that just...ugh.

The rest was amazing. It's all building and building and you're really feeling like you are accomplishing something big and then WHAM.

But on positive, at least we got multiplayer out of it. I hope that if they do intend to do another they keep that in some way.

i've written enough about why the last 20 minutes of ME3 were terrible, and i hope the fuckface who came up with that was fired from his job due in part to the massive amount of shit that bioware caught for his "art" but mostly due to the fact that he liked to shit his pants in the office and played his awful music way too loud. i bet he also stops randomly on the street to stare up at buildings but that's neither here nor there.
    ahahaha

no

Casey Hudson and Mac Walters were not fired for that ending

how

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    @deebaser

deepinkhair.jpg

PAYOW

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »

Dude. You don't even know how weird the Star Trek obsession can be in Mississippi. It's fucking bizarre. Here you have a series that's basically about the best of humanity, equality, true freedom of (or from) religion, etc. And yet, somehow rednecks fucking love it, and the point is lost on them.

I think it's because Bones is from MS.

We can test that theory. Do they show Night of the Lepus on TV a lot?

when the local stations still controlled a lot of the programing

yes, actually.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Looks like there's a Firefall open beta this weekend. I think I'm gonna try it out. Anyone else?

For that matter, anyone tried the game already?

I played it a bit. Its not a bad concept and can be fun. But I found there really is only a few things to do PvE. And those things get boring very quickly. But if you are into PvP I think it probably has a bit more depth. The company has this maniacal focus on trying to make the next big E-Sport.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    ME3 spoilers
    with mordin at least there is a specific combination of choices from me2 that will allow you to save him in me3.
    You can keep him alive at the cost of Eve and Wrex (who may already be dead anyway), and basically making him betray his own ideals by letting the Krogan genophage continue. Mordin's death feels right for the character, and while it's sad it's also fitting and a brilliant scene.

• Options
    seriously

you make a franchise that has probably 120 hours of content and you wrap it up with 5 minutes of deus ex machina

how can they not be fired

how is that possible in a just world

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    So if I wanted to be a writer, hypothetically (because other than a strong interest during my childhood and adolescence, I haven't shown any evidence that I would be succesful), what would I do? Just go to school for an Bachelors in Engish and write?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

There are a couple more disputed areas with each of those countries and China but most of those are about EEZs and fishing rights. Less likely to cause major incidents.

Outside China has been playing it more as territorial than EEZ negotiations. Also energy rights tend to make them prickly. I doubt they will really go after the Philippines. This has already moved Vietnam more towards the US with us having high level talks. And well, China and Japan are the area it could blow up. The recent Japanese election and the new folks in power in China do not signal an end to it.

Really the smart move was to bring it to the UNCLOS court but China rather deal with it bilaterally so they can throw their economic weight around.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    hey, you know what's great

abortion debates on Facebook

or possibly the opposite

forced impregnation debates?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i cannot believe beast machines did exist, after the glory that was beast wars

how could they do that

poo
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    seriously

you make a franchise that has probably 120 hours of content and you wrap it up with 5 minutes of deus ex machina

how can they not be fired

how is that possible in a just world

deus ex machina is soooooooooo lazy

i have never played ME but it's always just a disappointment

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    So if I wanted to be a writer, hypothetically (because other than a strong interest during my childhood and adolescence, I haven't shown any evidence that I would be succesful), what would I do? Just go to school for an Bachelors in Engish and write?

Just write.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.