As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strap on a job helmet and squeeze down into a job cannon [Job Thread]

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    yay get bitched out-ish by boss when get back
    and yay team made so little progress in the 1.5 days i was out and now have to do a million things on my almost no sleep in the next 24 hrs
    and yay i was told i'll prolly be on this project/client for a while

deffo sending out more job apps

what do you do, @Shazkar Shadowstorm

@neville

currently i do what can best be described as marketing strategy consulting
    my educational background is applied mathematics so it is not really related

i want to get out of this type of position though anyway so i likely won't be looking at identical positions

maybe something a bit more technical, though my learning and experience related to those things are getting further in my past
    i like doing things with maths and data

i don't really enjoy all this making silly powerpoints

my company is hiring applied math people

sig.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    Eek about the leg surgery

I'm lucky enough to not work during the summer, and have plenty of time to get my vag installed

fuck, how am I surviving the summer

FUCK

you doin that this summer? dang girl, things have been moving quickly for you it seems. congrats

my therapist is ready to write a letter for me (name change stuff, too)
    just gotta call another number to get a PhD therapist to write a letter for me
    then I gotta contact my school insurance
    and then get in line at my surgery clinic of choice

That's awesome! But quick question, your school insurance is covering the surgery?

90% coverage, up to 70k dineros
    And I want to see if I can raise it to 100% before I leave, especially in light of the city of San Fransisco's decision to cover SRS for all its uninsured trans citizens

Oh wow, the city covers that these days? That's kind of amazing.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Seriously considering making a staff meeting bingo card for today's installment of Pointless Staff Meetings That I Wish I Didn't Have To Attend.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    yay get bitched out-ish by boss when get back
    and yay team made so little progress in the 1.5 days i was out and now have to do a million things on my almost no sleep in the next 24 hrs
    and yay i was told i'll prolly be on this project/client for a while

deffo sending out more job apps

what do you do, @Shazkar Shadowstorm

neville

currently i do what can best be described as marketing strategy consulting
    my educational background is applied mathematics so it is not really related

i want to get out of this type of position though anyway so i likely won't be looking at identical positions

maybe something a bit more technical, though my learning and experience related to those things are getting further in my past
    i like doing things with maths and data

i don't really enjoy all this making silly powerpoints

my company is hiring applied math people

what kind of things

poo
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    math things

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    some numbers, mostly letters

a few [ and a couple ()

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    but what about the ]

poo
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Oh man I hope this job pans out as awesome as it seems

I'm at lunch right now and they want me to 'take ownership of the room' and make a list of things I want to acquire for the classroom setup. This is great and also intimidating as hell! I'm excited/terrified.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    statistical modelling of conversion likelihood given a large corpus of data

sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    but what about the ]

that's for noobs

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Skeith wrote: »
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »
    Eek about the leg surgery

I'm lucky enough to not work during the summer, and have plenty of time to get my vag installed

fuck, how am I surviving the summer

FUCK

you doin that this summer? dang girl, things have been moving quickly for you it seems. congrats

my therapist is ready to write a letter for me (name change stuff, too)
    just gotta call another number to get a PhD therapist to write a letter for me
    then I gotta contact my school insurance
    and then get in line at my surgery clinic of choice

That's awesome! But quick question, your school insurance is covering the surgery?

90% coverage, up to 70k dineros
    And I want to see if I can raise it to 100% before I leave, especially in light of the city of San Fransisco's decision to cover SRS for all its uninsured trans citizens

Oh wow, the city covers that these days? That's kind of amazing.

it's a very recent development

San Fransisco was already offering the same deal to its city workers

now only if it wasn't so fucking expensive to live there

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    but what about the ]

The ] is silent, so it's basically optional.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the administration function was designed either BY people with mental handicaps or FOR them.
    I'm not yet able to rule out the possibility of both, either.

Seriously, trying to change workflows is like them saying "FUCK YOU" over and over.
    It is intensely aggravating.

Maybe they hired a UX designer and said "Cool. Lets do the opposite of that. Yeah, the thing that is like punching someone in the groin repeatedly. That seems good."

Fuck

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Anybody work/involved in politics?

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    some numbers, mostly letters

a few [ and a couple ()

Any if/then statements or any y = mx + b?

• Options
    Tossrock wrote: »
    statistical modelling of conversion likelihood given a large corpus of data

interesting

though i am likely underqualified experience wise

perhaps maybe though @tossrock could you PM me some info about position and qualifications

it's good to know what kind of jobs need what kinds of skills

poo
  • Options
    Just slap the data in MiniTab or StatGraphics, and let the software do the work.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    You don't really need to know what you're doing.

Just click around in the menus until you get a graph that looks right.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »

And that's what we call Marketing

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »

And that's what we call Marketing

Oh shit.

He's onto us.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    No. Draw your conclusions first and then keep dropping data points as "outliers" and "out of range" until the data matches your conclusions.

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    First time going through new release processes - hoping it all goes well!

Pretty sure the administration function was designed either BY people with mental handicaps or FOR them.
    I'm not yet able to rule out the possibility of both, either.

Seriously, trying to change workflows is like them saying "FUCK YOU" over and over.
    It is intensely aggravating.

Maybe they hired a UX designer and said "Cool. Lets do the opposite of that. Yeah, the thing that is like punching someone in the groin repeatedly. That seems good."

Fuck

you talking bout jira?

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Tomorrow I'm installing Jira on a test server to start off a feasibility test. This is not striking confidence D:

• Options
    JIRA is what happens when a bunch of startup PMs sit around a table and scream "AGILE" at each others dicks for 6 months.

then charge you 20 grand.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Tossrock that job looks cool
    sigh
    If only I had done a few things differently I'd be qualified for that job but as of now my experience in ML and whatnot stops with schoolwork and I only took one class (and that one research project I started to build out some product recommender that I never finished)
    And I would need to relearn Java since I think I've forgotten most

Seems cool though thanks for sending

Maybe I should go get that masters I was thinking about
    I need more stats knowledge

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    No. Draw your conclusions first and then keep dropping data points as "outliers" and "out of range" until the data matches your conclusions.

yes
    and reweight things
    and yadda yadda

such bullshit

poo
  • Options
    TheClarksterTheClarkster Registered User regular
    Anyone have suggestions for books and/or websites where I can learn about networking best practices? Possibly specifically improving VPN performance in an all Windows environment? I'm trying to figure out how to split up server roles and route traffic properly to get everyone to stop complaining about speed issues out at our remote sites.

Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/02/06/171289860/-honestjobdescription?utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130206

honest job description

move numbers around and make them into charts and pretend that they mean something

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/02/06/171289860/-honestjobdescription?utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130206

honest job description

move numbers around and make them into charts and pretend that they mean something

Oh look somebody already did mine!
    My job is to heard cats, reassure frightened, angry children and sooth upper management. Eng. proj. Manager.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I had someone scream at me today, literally scream, as loud as a person can, to the point where I could hear them straining with the effort, for almost 80 minutes, pretty much non-stop. It was incredible. Like speaking to a stressed out female Nic Cage after they'd jammed a spoonful of coke under each eyelid.

If only they had screamed a tiny bit louder. Like all customer service, we help people entirely based on how loud the phone call is.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I had someone scream at me today, literally scream, as loud as a person can, to the point where I could hear them straining with the effort, for almost 80 minutes, pretty much non-stop. It was incredible. Like speaking to a stressed out female Nic Cage after they'd jammed a spoonful of coke under each eyelid.

If only they had screamed a tiny bit louder. Like all customer service, we help people entirely based on how loud the phone call is.

So you basically had to assist this guy today?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0rz1omCqhs

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So....

I just read and signed the first employment contract that I remember reading and signing.

I'm sure that there was one at Verizon and at Walmart, but i can't even begin to pretend to remember them. in the slightest.

I'll get the contract back to HR on thursday (tomorrow is a public holiday here), then I start work on monday.

11 February. EXACTLY 2 years to the day when I set foot in new zealand. I came here to live with the love of my life and find a brand new start. The love part was the easy part. The new start has taken some getting going.

But two years to the day, I'll finally get a chance to get my own independence back.

I am now crying. fuck yes.

(also, my manager totally put the wrong year down on the contracts. he totally signed them 2012)

I am awesoming your tears. Delicious delicious tears.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Honestly, Jira is pretty decent once you get it configured the way you want it.

From a single page, I can see everything the team is working on and where it's at. I also like that it automatically tracks cycle time. It is one of the metrics we are getting judged by, and having it calculated automatically is just one less thing for us to worry about.

It's just getting it set up that was a pain in the ass.

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    Honestly, Jira is pretty decent once you get it configured the way you want it.

From a single page, I can see everything the team is working on and where it's at. I also like that it automatically tracks cycle time. It is one of the metrics we are getting judged by, and having it calculated automatically is just one less thing for us to worry about.

It's just getting it set up that was a pain in the ass.

And getting everyone to use it the same way ;)

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    New job wanted me to start Monday. Then they pushed it to Wednesday because the CEO had some end-of-month stuff he was trying to get done. Fine. He emails me today telling me he's going to have to push it to the 18th because he's going out of town next week.

I emailed him back and said as politely as possible that I need rent and food money. Hoping he sees the light. If this falls apart, I am going to be so mad.

I thought you were going to work at a university?

shortly after that i got offered full-time work as a c# programmer. now of course it's been delayed

Oh wow I missed that! Why would the CEO need to be around for your first day? What kind of development is it? I use C# for ASP .Net.

It's a small studio, apparently he handles setting up workstations for new hires and such. It's game programming with Unity. He was supposed to send me the paperwork on Monday, so I don't know the specifics yet.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

What do you do?!

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    So, not a real jobbut this placei tutor at one of the other volunteers has a slight lisp and a total pedo-stache.

I'm kinda disappointed he andthe other guys coming from his school weren't able to get use of one of the school vans.

One of their nondescrpit windowless vans

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My JIRA queue has been sitting north of 150 tasks for over a year.

At a certain point, it's just like 'fuck it'.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Liiya wrote: »

What do you do?!

Ashcroft works in headphone customer service, most people who call him are deafened by faulty products

• Options
    We're looking at JIRA because we can self-host, some of the bigger contracts we're pulling in now are really pushy on data protection so we can't hold anything outside of the EU which pretty much kills the tool our current PM/Dev team are using, so we have to do these annoying 'mini-feasibility' studies that end up taking months.

This discussion has been closed.