Options

Math [chat]

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I think the real lesson to take from this is stop getting in the last word and then asking people to drop it.

If you actually want to drop a subject, stop talking about it. Making a point and then saying "but lets drop it" is bullshit.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    When I write a recipe, I try to do it in a much more conversational tone than the ones I read. I try to include tips throughout, hints and suggestions of how things should look and taste that I feel are lacking in the standard recipe construction.

its a good idea!

pseudoscientific recipes are da wurst

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yeah, as a child, ear infections are completely fucking awful. I used to get them so bad I had to get tubes in my ears.

There's nothing to do about it either. Just sit there and be in intense pain all day.

Nowadays they have drops that will kill the pain.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    and people wonder why I don't get a microphone

We would miss the robot voice.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    other than that the one i remember most was going to cyprus and getting 42 mosquito bites and the worst sun burn of my life at the same time

Casual on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I don't know why you'd risk child abuse charges by striking your children when electrified nipple clamps don't leave marks.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Casual wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    and people wonder why I don't get a microphone

it's why i have a LAN group of people I know to play multiplayer games with and avoid pub servers like the fucking plague

I played RDR in the same room as a friend so we could talk without bothering to mute everyone.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    When I write a recipe, I try to do it in a much more conversational tone than the ones I read. I try to include tips throughout, hints and suggestions of how things should look and taste that I feel are lacking in the standard recipe construction.

Yeah, I'm seriously looking forward to eventually making that sometime, but I don't think it'll happen tonight.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    You could replicate that fairly easily (can't believe I forgot about scallions, old people obsession number 1)

bread pork cutlets as usual, slice them into thin strips after cooking
    slice shrooms up as desired
    marinate eggs in whatever soy-based sauce you desire
    dice scallions

throw all that into a stone bowl with a good instant ramen (good = literally nothing on the label is in english)

what is this eastern magic

• Options
    Hitting a child doesn't make them learn the lesson you are trying to teach them. It just teaches them to fear and resent you. among other things.

This is too simplistic a statement to be useful except to people who don't have any concept of the difference between a swat on the butt and a punch in the face.

Also it presupposes that children altering bad behavior because they fear punishment is always undesirable, and I don't believe that is the case.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    babby has ear infection
    D :
    Babby: "this is the worst thing ever."

It probably is, from a babby perspective.

I can't think of anything more unpleasant he is likely to have suffered in his life and times so far.

he gets it from me, I'm sure

I had to have tubes in my ears (3 sets through childhood), then had tonsils and adnoids removed

I can clearly remember times when the pain was so bad and insistant I would be banging my head against the wall

• Options
    Yeah, as a child, ear infections are completely fucking awful. I used to get them so bad I had to get tubes in my ears.

There's nothing to do about it either. Just sit there and be in intense pain all day.

I definitely remember those, but I also remember that their effectiveness was pretty inconsistent.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I don't know why you'd risk child abuse charges by striking your children when electrified nipple clamps don't leave marks.

promise me you will reproduce

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Shivahn wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    babby has ear infection
    D :
    Babby: "this is the worst thing ever."

It probably is, from a babby perspective.

I can't think of anything more unpleasant he is likely to have suffered in his life and times so far.

I am still not sure if I've suffered anything more unpleasant than ear infections, which I got a lot as a kid.

WAIT NO I did have a couple of migraines that were worse. But I wanted to die for both of those experiences.

Ear infections are pretty bad but I think the worst I've dealt with was bronchitis. I felt like somebody had stuffed tiny knives and saran wrap down my lungs, and then beat on my shoulders with a hammer.

Edit: Oh wait, no! I remember now, the worst is when I had impacted ear wax removed with a hook. Felt like my ear drum was being ripped out.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I haven't played a public multiplayer game in forever. The closest I come is team ranked starcraft, where the fun comes from using really frustrating play styles that turn the members of the opposing team against each other. I don't consider a win a win unless a member of the opposing team first enters the global chat and writes a childish tirade about how shitty his team is before dropping out. Bonus points if the opposing team throws a tantrum, like pausing and unpausing the game or alt-tabbing to cause it to lag.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

promise me you will reproduce

Never.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Appreciating the fact that Henroid's rallying appeal to end bigotry in gaming is "hit more children." 8->

I'm able to mentally distinguish the difference between a swat on the butt / smack in the mouth vs. full on punches and kicks. If people want to disagree with disciplinary actions, that's fine, but don't turn my take (which is very specific and narrow) into "you child abuser." That's a real low bar to set and a real extreme reaction, akin to idiots who say "marijuana is a gateway drug!" Or maybe things do stop right then and there and don't go further.

• Options

Yeah, I'm seriously looking forward to eventually making that sometime, but I don't think it'll happen tonight.

Grab a couple of beers, get someone to help you prep the veggies, and apart from making the roux it's mostly straightforward. You will enjoy it!

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    ENT-related conditions are far and away the worst thing as a child. Exterior injuries are at least understandable to some degree for the toddler mind, but like, sinus infections are inexplicable and awful

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

I definitely remember those, but I also remember that their effectiveness was pretty inconsistent.
    Yeah, when I got a bad infection a few years ago, they gave me Percocet, none of these mythical "drops."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Hitting a child doesn't make them learn the lesson you are trying to teach them. It just teaches them to fear and resent you. among other things.

How else can I teach my children to fear and resent me?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Last generation will be the best generation.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think the real lesson to take from this is stop getting in the last word and then asking people to drop it.

If you actually want to drop a subject, stop talking about it. Making a point and then saying "but lets drop it" is bullshit.

But people are being wrong on the internet!

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Making the argument that authorial intent is not sovereign is a lot weaker when you're talking about literal narrative events rather than thematic implications

Perhaps, but some narratives are garbled, ambiguous, or deceptive.

In the specific jokey post that lead to this conversation (Ned Stark and Syrio Forel), the narrative could not have been more clear and to interpret those events differently is to stop reading the book as written. Think of it like... uh, people still being on team Jacob after Edward and Bella's wedding or deciding that Bruce Willis was really alive the whole time in the sixth sense and the movie's events were actually an illuminati plot to drive him insane.

Oh wow.

No no, the indoctrination interpretation of the ME3 ending is nothing that ridiculous. It is certainly supported by numerous observations, and actually fits better with the rest of the story leading up to it than canon interpretations.

As I said, it is a player interpretation. No one is claiming it was the writers intent. BW made it clear that it wasn't. But that in and of itself does not render the interpretation "wrong" merely non-canonical.

not that spoilery, but just to be safe
    My first playthrough of ME3 I totally assumed that was what happened. Shepard was being indoctrinated, the Reapers were playing with his head in one last ditch effort to stop him, etc. So I took the only ending that made sense under that assumption and was reasonably satisfied with the results. It wasn't until my insanity playthrough that I tried another ending just to see. Unfortunately, I didn't get either a game over screen or a "lol Reapers tricked you" ending cinematic and I was disappointed.

Apparantly Bioware has also come out and said the indoctrination theory is wrong, which is a real dick move IMO.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Well marijuana is a gateway drug from a purely statistical standpoint, ignoring the correlation/causation issue.

But in many locales, hitting a child in the face is considered abuse.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Wizadry

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Grab a couple of beers, get someone to help you prep the veggies, and apart from making the roux it's mostly straightforward. You will enjoy it!

I thought for a second this was about making children and was trying to parse the metaphors

• Options

Wizadry
    necromancy

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i get a call tomorrow or Thursday about the building and i want it sooooo baaaaaaaaaddddd we filled out an application and gave them the money order and everything aieeeeeee

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Re: indoctrination theory I think it is a great example of something that doesn't quite fit but is clearly a WAY better idea than the actual events of the narrative

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @eddy

so what do I like in ramen

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Wizadry

give them puddings that are actually cunningly disguised vegetables. give them broken game consoles that never work. give them chairs that have nearly broken legs so they fall to pieces on them all the time

explode balloons near their heads

ez

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

Wizadry
    necromancy
    necrophilia

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    sp
    aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

rta

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I just think of how I'd feel getting slapped in the mouth, and I can't imagine I'd react positively to whatever the person who did it said to me next.

Actually I've lived an interesting enough life that I don't have to imagine it, come to think of it.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Pancakes cooked and eaten, and dishes washed! :)
    @RMS Oceanic

Did you use buckwheat? What did you think of them compared to plain ones?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

But people are being wrong on the internet!

I mean....dude....you've made two posts on this subject since you said you were going to drop it.

I guarantee that if you had rolled your eyes at the initial wave of posts and called them idiots under your breath instead of making a point and claiming you were going to drop it, we'd be talking about what you actually want to talk about, which is sexism in gaming rather than child discipline.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Giving control of a cloaked banshee harass to one of my friends so I can stir up trouble.

Donkey Kong [all]: Come on purple, you have detection, why aren't you helping out your friend?
    Donkey Kong [all]: Oh no his shit is all on fire
    Donkey Kong [all]: He's dying, squirtle
    Donkey Kong [all]: You know what, you're right. Letting him get knocked out is for the best.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hello

This discussion has been closed.