As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Math [chat]

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    At a film festival, we saw a film about a drag queen who was trying to adopt a child, and during the q+a an angry middle aged man with brightly colored hair informed the filmmakers that he did not like this premise "because one of the great things about being gay is you don't have to deal with fucking children"

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How dare obama improve something!

Obama could punch a kitten in the face and you would say the black eye makes its fur look more lustrous.

Thius is more like Bush punched the kitten and you blame Obama for getting an ice pack

Listen.

That kitten got punched 5 years ago, Obama has been president for four years.

That kittens brain damage is Obama's fault.

/every republican

Obama only found Bin Laden because of intelligence gained from Bush punching that kitten.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    At a film festival, we saw a film about a drag queen who was trying to adopt a child, and during the q+a an angry middle aged man with brightly colored hair informed the filmmakers that he did not like this premise "because one of the great things about being gay is you don't have to deal with fucking children"

I mean, that's one way to look at things, sure.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Free cell phones in 1986, huh? Well, Reagan and Bush seem like great guys who care about the impoverished, then. Vote Republican.

It was originally for landlines expanded to cells under Bush

which these days is actually cheaper than landlines so whatevs

Interesting.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/
    The president has no direct impact on the program, and one could hardly call these devices "Obama Phones," as the e-mail author does. This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.

Ah okay good, now you realize your argument is full of shit yes?

A guy at work is still on about this, he thinks they're giving the poors free iphones or something

They're fucking tracfones or virgin mobile phones from 2 generations ago that were $15 then and couldn't be sold on shelves now. At worst the government is overpaying for them, but you can't possibly expect to find employment in this economy without a phone and cell phones are more convenient and cheaper than landlines

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Free cell phones in 1986, huh? Well, Reagan and Bush seem like great guys who care about the impoverished, then. Vote Republican.

Interesting.

The president has no direct impact on the program, and one could hardly call these devices "Obama Phones," as the e-mail author does. This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.

The modern program, Lifeline, was from 1985.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    Random question for you guys and gals:

Has anyone ever tried one of those "ancestry" websites that track your family tree? If so, did you have a lot of success? It's pretty pricey last time I checked, but that sort of thing has tickled my interest lately.

My mom's into it, and she uses ancestry.com with success.

I'm not interested in it enough to pay a monthly fee in order to keep accessing it but I've had relatives do it. That's how I found out about being related to a president and not having to lie about it.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

Obama could punch a kitten in the face and you would say the black eye makes its fur look more lustrous.

Thius is more like Bush punched the kitten and you blame Obama for getting an ice pack

Listen.

That kitten got punched 5 years ago, Obama has been president for four years.

That kittens brain damage is Obama's fault.

/every republican

Obama only found Bin Laden because of intelligence gained from Bush punching that kitten.

That's bullshit.

Bush obviously waterboarded that cat.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Solarians be bitches

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    having somehow missed all opportunities for sexy time in the first game, and then hilariously getting friend zoned by Jacob in the second

wtf

u missed... the prize?!?!?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ze_R3TevE

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    And like I said before the president, in fact no president (except those who have signed bills amending the program) really even have their hands on this at all. Monitoring a program this small is a level of micromanagement few presidents engage in

override367 on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Wooooo

I have met gay men like that. Who have horrible hostility toward women (it's completely different than straight man misogyny too, it has its own flavor) and contempt for the trappings of straight society in general.

However.

They are going to die out completely.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Fate of humanity hanging in the balance

all races putting Shepard under the spotlight

waiting...waiting...

"Hold on dudes gotta romance my crew!"

There is a little too god damn much sidetracking to random planets, stopping to talk to every crew member of your ship, and going back to the Citadel to jog a full lap just in case some pedestrian starts whining about their problems.

which is why, if I had made Mass Effect 2, you would only have had time to acquire 4 party members (with all dossiers unlocked from the get-go), all 6 (4+M/J) loyalty quests, and maybe a handful of side things / integrated dlc before Bad Things started happening.

if I had made such a game, Bad Things would start to happen right away.

when you're trying to save earth it's bullshit that you can feel complacent. Fucking hurry! Do the shit you need to do! Do we really need to do this? Thousands might die if we do! But it could all be for nothing if we don't! Make your decision! You made the right call but it still turned out do be for naught! Shit happens! Keep going! Oh look you have to take a decision that will get that guy you liked killed but the cost might be too great

oh hey turns out fuck you the cost wasn't too great he died for nothing.

alternatively the game could be replaced by me just torturing the player with a length of pipe instead.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Solarians be bitches

except mordin

he was the best

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Interesting.

A guy at work is still on about this, he thinks they're giving the poors free iphones or something

They're fucking tracfones or virgin mobile phones from 2 generations ago that were $15 then and couldn't be sold on shelves now. At worst the government is overpaying for them, but you can't possibly expect to find employment in this economy without a phone and cell phones are more convenient and cheaper than landlines

I would like a cellphone that's cheaper than a landline.

Landline costs $18/mo including unlimited long distance for free. The phone itself costs $0.50 from a thrift shop, or $9.99 new. There are cellphones that cost less than this?

spool32 on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    My dad dedicates his life to fostering absurdity. It's pretty fantastic. For instance, he has this insane bell curve for his possessions. When something is new, he will not stop talking about it, ESPECIALLY if it's something that isn't very well known.

"I got this new delicacy -- ginger vinegar." And he will find a way to bring it up into every conversation. "Pineapple? I bet my ginger vinegar would be great on that!" If we're at a store, he will wander around the ginger vinegar, wait for someone to look at it and go "That stuff is AMAZING!" but if he sees someone he didn't advise with a bottle in their basket, he will mutter under his breath "who do they think they are?! my secret's out!"

and then he will eventually get bored with it and move on. it might even stick around and he will constantly talk about how terrible it. when we're watching tv, not an hour goes by that he tells me how terrible his recliner is and how it hurts his back

but CERTAIN things he will talk bad about for so long that he comes to love them again.

He's had his bigass GMC SUV (Yukon) for over a decade now. When he bought it, he would take us to drive-on beaches just to show off it's 4-wheel drive prowess: "The old Jeep NEVER would have been able to handle that loose sand!" But eventually it broke down, it's breaks got fucked, and became hazardous to drive. Every trip in it would be a constant conversation of how terrible and dangerous it was.

But now he's taken to calling it "THE KING OF THE ROAD" and will honk at any Yukon on the road he sees, wheel down his window, and shout out "Yeah baby! King of the road!" and wouldn't let me out of the car when we pulled into the drive way, instead pulled up, said "look at that beauty! I gotta see it again" speed off, turned around, and pulled up again, this time at a crawl, muttering "yeah ... look at her ... oh yeah"

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    so my little brother violated his probation months ago

he's been in jail for like 3 months now, and his first two hearings for the new charges were called off because the school cop involved in the incident didn't show up

the judge now said that if the state/county/whatever isn't prepared to present its witness/evidence at the next hearing, he's going to dismiss the case

but my brother's still being held in the meantime, even though his probation expired by now?

i guess a retainer was issued when he broke probation and that gives them the ability to hold him until his trial

they aren't like, violent felonies or whatever so i ain't even know they could do that

but w-e

it looks like in about 6 weeks he will have some closure either way

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

waiting...waiting...

There is a little too god damn much sidetracking to random planets, stopping to talk to every crew member of your ship, and going back to the Citadel to jog a full lap just in case some pedestrian starts whining about their problems.

which is why, if I had made Mass Effect 2, you would only have had time to acquire 4 party members (with all dossiers unlocked from the get-go), all 6 (4+M/J) loyalty quests, and maybe a handful of side things / integrated dlc before Bad Things started happening.

You and EM should get together and form a game company making games that everyone hates.

wut

no, what the actual fuck

you complain that there is too much running around

I propose a game with less running around and more actually saving the galaxy

and you think it sounds terrible

... I give up

• Options

Wooooo

I have met gay men like that. Who have horrible hostility toward women (it's completely different than straight man misogyny too, it has its own flavor) and contempt for the trappings of straight society in general.

However.

I think once the south eventually accepts gay people, these people will move into the south to fill the intolerance vacuum

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    And like I said before the president, in fact no president (except those who have signed bills amending the program) really even have their hands on this at all. Monitoring a program this small is a level of micromanagement few presidents engage in

Well, the executive branch handles the implementation of programs like this

including little details like verifying that the people getting them are eligible

which the prior administration didn't do very well

and the current administration is now working on

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Wooooo

However.

ugh

they sound like the mirror image of militant feminists

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    okay that is fucking it

i am putting on my black shirt and black kercheif over my face

somebody light this molotov for me

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    What do you mean, "Ironic Racism?"

I mean jokes where you pretend to be racist but it's not really racist because it's a joke.

With scare quotes because I don't really observe the distinction.

i kind of don't understand this position

I guess it's like death of the author shit. Like, all I know about Seth McFarlane is that he makes Family Guy. So when he (or one of his writers, I guess) writes a homophobic joke or whatever, all that is presented is the homophobic joke. There isn't a disclaimer that the real joke is that anyone would make such a joke (and I'm not advocating such a disclaimer; jokes that need explanation are not good jokes)... as far as anyone can reasonably tell, it is what it is. A statement where the humor capitalizes on bigoted assumptions without challenging them.

that has never been the typical premise of a racist or sexist joke to me (in a situation where we're assuming it isn't meant maliciously). there is deconstructive humor that examines the causes and effects of bigotry in society, sure. and then there are jokes that kind of poke fun at people stupid enough to say them. but in my experience the vast majority of socially insensitive humor is just "shock and unbalance with brutal comments", or "cleverly reference cultural stereotypes" or whatever.

i mean, i laugh at jokes that make fun of dumb yokels and their bigotry, and i laugh at dave chappelle. but i guess i laugh at a lot of other humor too that it seems like you think is inappropriate? not sure if i'm following you.

I don't really know else to explain it. The nuance you observe... I don't want to claim that it necessarily doesn't exist in all situation, I would be hard pressed to prove that... but I don't think it's sufficiently conveyed nearly as often as it's relied on.

I used to always assume irony in situations like that, but then I started to learn unsettling things about my friends, and then other people in my social sphere as I grew into an adult and became more observant. It doesn't really seem like a safe bet anymore.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »

waiting...waiting...

if I had made such a game, Bad Things would start to happen right away.

when you're trying to save earth it's bullshit that you can feel complacent. Fucking hurry! Do the shit you need to do! Do we really need to do this? Thousands might die if we do! But it could all be for nothing if we don't! Make your decision! You made the right call but it still turned out do be for naught! Shit happens! Keep going! Oh look you have to take a decision that will get that guy you liked killed but the cost might be too great

oh hey turns out fuck you the cost wasn't too great he died for nothing.

alternatively the game could be replaced by me just torturing the player with a length of pipe instead.

You also wanted to make a film not-based-on To Build A Fire only longer and more bleak.

Because freezing to death in the snow while helplessly trying to make fire is too Hollywood of an ending.

I feel increasingly like I am the only person who likes nice things surrounded by people who are only entertained by frustration, boredom, and being emotionally harmed.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Podly is your dad available for parties

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

he's been in jail for like 3 months now, and his first two hearings for the new charges were called off because the school cop involved in the incident didn't show up

the judge now said that if the state/county/whatever isn't prepared to present its witness/evidence at the next hearing, he's going to dismiss the case

but my brother's still being held in the meantime, even though his probation expired by now?

i guess a retainer was issued when he broke probation and that gives them the ability to hold him until his trial

they aren't like, violent felonies or whatever so i ain't even know they could do that

but w-e

It doesn't matter when his probation would have expired. It was violated, so now he's at the mercy of the court up until he's served his sentence.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

but w-e

did he waive any of his rights?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    okay that is fucking it

i am putting on my black shirt and black kercheif over my face

somebody light this molotov for me

dont worry gooey

ill rap at it

thatll light it

because

you no

i spit hot fyah

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I see a little bit of your father in you, pods

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

Well, the executive branch handles the implementation of programs like this

including little details like verifying that the people getting them are eligible

which the prior administration didn't do very well

and the current administration is now working on

Hence why I said "Obama administration". He's indirectly responsible for the monitoring of this program by appointments and the people that the appointments hire

But really its like .07% of the budget or something, not exactly high on the docket

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

This is more like Bush punched the kitten and you blame Obama for getting an ice pack

Obama is freezing that poor kitten to death!

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Things that you don't want to hear when you're an altar boy for $500, Alex.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    spool32 wrote: »

Interesting.

I would like a cellphone that's cheaper than a landline.

Landline costs $18/mo including unlimited long distance for free. The phone itself costs $0.50 from a thrift shop, or $9.99 new. There are cellphones that cost less than this?

Go buy a virgin mobile phone for $10 and pay $15 a month

You now have an obamaphone

Cell phones are cheap as shit

override367 on
  • Options

waiting...waiting...

You and EM should get together and form a game company making games that everyone hates.

wut

no, what the actual fuck

you complain that there is too much running around

I propose a game with less running around and more actually saving the galaxy

and you think it sounds terrible

... I give up

No.

I said there is a little too much running around.

You immediately imagine a system that punishes you for running around too much.

It's the kind of thing that would appeal to EM (who likes really really difficult games which pull no punches and cut the player no breaks).

And also it was a joke and not personal.

So don't get so upset.

I feel like you've got a secret beef with me. I don't even know you that well.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    My dad dedicates his life to fostering absurdity. It's pretty fantastic. For instance, he has this insane bell curve for his possessions. When something is new, he will not stop talking about it, ESPECIALLY if it's something that isn't very well known.

"I got this new delicacy -- ginger vinegar." And he will find a way to bring it up into every conversation. "Pineapple? I bet my ginger vinegar would be great on that!" If we're at a store, he will wander around the ginger vinegar, wait for someone to look at it and go "That stuff is AMAZING!" but if he sees someone he didn't advise with a bottle in their basket, he will mutter under his breath "who do they think they are?! my secret's out!"

and then he will eventually get bored with it and move on. it might even stick around and he will constantly talk about how terrible it. when we're watching tv, not an hour goes by that he tells me how terrible his recliner is and how it hurts his back

but CERTAIN things he will talk bad about for so long that he comes to love them again.

He's had his bigass GMC SUV (Yukon) for over a decade now. When he bought it, he would take us to drive-on beaches just to show off it's 4-wheel drive prowess: "The old Jeep NEVER would have been able to handle that loose sand!" But eventually it broke down, it's breaks got fucked, and became hazardous to drive. Every trip in it would be a constant conversation of how terrible and dangerous it was.

But now he's taken to calling it "THE KING OF THE ROAD" and will honk at any Yukon on the road he sees, wheel down his window, and shout out "Yeah baby! King of the road!" and wouldn't let me out of the car when we pulled into the drive way, instead pulled up, said "look at that beauty! I gotta see it again" speed off, turned around, and pulled up again, this time at a crawl, muttering "yeah ... look at her ... oh yeah"

your biden love makes so much fucking sense now

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    saint2e wrote: »
    Random question for you guys and gals:

Has anyone ever tried one of those "ancestry" websites that track your family tree? If so, did you have a lot of success? It's pretty pricey last time I checked, but that sort of thing has tickled my interest lately.

I have an ancestry.com subscription off and on because it is pretty pricey. It definitely has the best sources though and its search is decent. I'd guess most people can go back to most of the way back 5 or 6 generations within a few hours without having to do anything too fancy. Filling in the blanks is the more difficult part and you have to get creative with it then (google book search, familysearch.com as long as you only look at docs, etc) but even then you can use the ancestry.com to confirm and track it.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I wasn't bullshitting about my idea. I would make a game that had you make Tough Decisions and didn't suck your cock whatever you did.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »

by Senjutsu, on literotica.com

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I would tongue mordin's cloaca.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    I want to play mass effect again

but first I am playing AC2 again

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Interesting.

The thing that WSJ article realy glosses over is that the obligation to verify eligibility was put into the carriers hands. its not an example of govt failure its one of corporate self-regulation failing. The FCC took back the verification and found out the carriers did none of the fucking work they were supposed to.

This discussion has been closed.