Options

So hey, what is that giant streak over RussiOMG METEOR!!!!

HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/02/14/what-is-happening-in-chelyabinsk/

So apparently a meteor shower has hit over Russia with a couple of decent chunks exploding around 32,000ft up in the air and causing one HELL of a shockwave that's blown out windows, interrupted communications, and what looks to be taken down part of a zinc plant.

Luckily for all of us, everybody seems to have a damned camera at any moments notice in Russia so it's been well documented, and the shockwave is SPECTACULAR to hear.

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
PSN: HooverFanPA
Steam: HooverFan

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    A minor Tsukini event (or however it's spelled, happened around 1910 or so) with witnesses this time?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Oh, so this is how it all ends.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    A minor Tsukini event (or however it's spelled, happened around 1910 or so) with witnesses this time?

Tunguska.

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »

Tunguska.

That one was very close to the ground hence all the damage it did, this one was nice and high in the sky, so high apparently that Putin and the government have taken credit for saving everybody's lives by claiming that military jets SHOT IT DOWN.

Oh Putin, why you be so cray-cray?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Pack it in, people. Kal-El has landed in the Ukraine. We're in Red Son mode.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    The Vatican ordered their new pope through Amazon Prime.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Flying CouchFlying Couch Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KG3mhbUHgUU

Holy shit.

"In Soviet Russia, space explores you!"

Flying Couch on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    N. Korea really needs to work on their targeting systems.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The explosion in the 2nd video at the link in the OP is Craaaaaaaay.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

Tunguska.

Ghesutite

(Thank you for correcting me. By god I wasn't even close...)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    hot damn. that's amazing. very rare to see one so big on video.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

well I mean only the really big ones get on film

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

well I mean only the really big ones get on film

I'm seen some amateur work with average sized ones.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Phill Plait is all over this.

Important notes:
    -It did not explode in the upper atmosphere, rather the explosions we hear on those videos are shockwaves.
    -The Russian military did not shoot down this meteor.
    -We have, at the moment, heard about a single piece making it to the ground according to a Russian official.
    -This is unrelated to 2012 DA14, which is on a different trajectory entirely than this rock.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Crazy coincidence.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJKoQE8uwE

Blows the door clean off.

*EDIT*
    hahahaha
    hhp8_8Hlg7g.jpg

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options

Door? Look at the window in the corner as well, takes the whole damn frame and everything out...

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    maybe we've finally perfected rods from god

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The age of video-documentation.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Everybody thank Russian drivers for being awful and their traffic cops for being so corrupt that everybody has dashboard cams.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    why does it keep doing this?

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    ozymandias2_zpse46a7e08.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2013
    triple post.

Sagroth on
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    How the hell does everyone in those videos stay so calm?

If I saw something like that I would drive my car thru the front door of the nearest supermarket and start grabbing stuff.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

If I saw something like that I would drive my car thru the front door of the nearest supermarket and start grabbing stuff.

Most appropriate avatar ever.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    What a news week.

I'm sure plenty of people are flipping about the asteroid passing by today / tomorrow.

Our local news was talking about being prepared in case a meteor or asteroid hits a comm satellite...what a stupid thing to say or consider. You might as well be prepared in case of Godzilla attack.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    there's really not much you can do once an asteroid is inside the atmosphere.

I'm surprised at the time difference between leaving the contrail and impact. I bet it hit miles outside that city.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Why is that video dated from NYE?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Get some info about this here. This is probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Thank god every other person in Russia has a dash cam, crazy awesome videos.

I should have been an astronomer

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Dashcams /shrug.

What's really kind of crazy to think about is how it went from nothing in the sky, to something incredibly bright, and back to nothing in roughly 10 seconds. So fast, too. It's hard to tell the size and altitude because I don't think I've ever seen a video of something that large (at least that luminous) traveling that fast.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »

Dashcams /shrug.

What's really kind of crazy to think about is how it went from nothing in the sky, to something incredibly bright, and back to nothing in roughly 10 seconds. So fast, too. It's hard to tell the size and altitude because I don't think I've ever seen a video of something that large (at least that luminous) traveling that fast.

I like the song in the video, it's catchy!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So here's a sobering thought:

Imagine if this had happened 30 years ago during the height of the cold war, with some triggerhappy general going "We're under nuclear attack from capitalist pigdogs!"

And then the world ends.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Imagine if this had happened 30 years ago during the height of the cold war, with some triggerhappy general going "We're under nuclear attack from capitalist pigdogs!"

And then the world ends.

While the Cold War produced many horrific things that we still haven't even begun to recover from, the fact that this never happened gives me a little hope for the future.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    God hates commies.

Proof positive.

• Options
    even in the cold war the people in charge knew what an asteroid was.

the people on the ground would panic but I don't know if it would start ww3.

• Options
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

A flock of geese almost started WW3.

Nuke first, ask questions later was very much a thing.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    also, since the bang was a shockwave, I would expect that it was a bolide and that the flash in the first video was it breaking up.

otherwise, it would have to be massive for the shockwave from its passing to cause that much damage.

pretty neat to see.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

"almost" is pretty key here though. They did ask questions first.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

And then the world ends.

Another sobering thought:

We clearly didn't see this one coming (probably too small, or perhaps inbound from the the sun). It's very unlikely that anything of that size is ever going to directly smash into a population center, but it's hardly impossible, and it's chilling to think that this one got close enough that the compression wave from it's passing was shattering windows / blowing doors off of their hinges.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    HooverFan wrote: »

Tunguska.

That one was very close to the ground hence all the damage it did, this one was nice and high in the sky, so high apparently that Putin and the government have taken credit for saving everybody's lives by claiming that military jets SHOT IT DOWN.

Oh Putin, why you be so cray-cray?

Says who? I mean, seriously, fucking ITAR-TASS made no mention of this, so is this crazy internet rumor fun time, or is there something to it? Because if there is, I've got some Russian friends to gently mock.
    shryke wrote: »

"almost" is pretty key here though. They did ask questions first.

It's....complicated, but as far as I know, there's two sides to it: the "DO SOMETHING THE FUCK NOW!" side and the "Okay, we need to go through eighteen other guys to do it" side. They sort of balance themselves out, or at least, that's the hope. Like that time they left the tape deck on at NORAD and someone forgot to flip the "No, the Soviets aren't firing nuclear missiles at us, this is just an exercise" switch. Or the famous PVO systems glitch in the USSR around the same time.

The point is we're living close to the sleeve in this area, but we are aware of that. And always remember not to leave your tape deck.
    rockrnger wrote: »

I think the implicit threat of a bunch of Ural townies who know the supermarket manager swarming your car and taking it for compensation. Or just beating the shit out of you.

The social contract! Catch it!

Synthesis on