As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MSPA] Return of a Hero...?

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The only thing that can make a Dave and Karkat conversation better is John.

And then you just end up with the second best conversation possible.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Dave is really cool in this update, seems like he's matured a lot. Glad to see Rose and Kanaya are still together, though I'm not sure about Rose having a drinking problem - it feels a little contrived.

I find it hard to judge Terezi because she can be so alien, but this seems like a weird move for her? Best I can think of is that she finds her mind seer powers to be a burden and is on this whole kick to avoid facing up to them, and maybe dealing with some guilt over Vriska.

Interesting that Gamzee ended the moirallegiance, last we saw he seemed to genuinely care what Karkat thought. All the recent Caliborn stuff has made me not give a shit about him as a character though, so whatever.

Great update.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Ah Dave and Karkat, how I've missed your chats. Keep on being the best characters.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    I find it hard to judge Terezi because she can be so alien, but this seems like a weird move for her? Best I can think of is that she finds her mind seer powers to be a burden and is on this whole kick to avoid facing up to them, and maybe dealing with some guilt over Vriska.

Yeah, she was telling Aranea about this but we never found out if she actually dealt with it.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    tumblr_mieqnmweZ21qbaysdo1_500.png
    tumblr_mieqnmweZ21qbaysdo2_500.png

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Man I'm being too much a grump over the depressing crap, gotta focus on the magic of Speakercrab

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Dave is really cool in this update, seems like he's matured a lot. Glad to see Rose and Kanaya are still together, though I'm not sure about Rose having a drinking problem - it feels a little contrived.
    Though to be fair she is Roxy's mom/daughter.
    Bucketman wrote: »
    DAVE: ahahaha the best thing we ever do together is slam this assholes dumb region
    KARKAT: YEAH!!!
    I... misread this post.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    dave continues to rule

but knowing the way these things go, they are going to be proven so wrong on gamzee's religion thing

literally everything there is going to happen

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    also I have come to terms with johnxrose not happening

I am now rooting for johnxroxy

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the more i think about it the more i think setting the protagonists of the story aside on a meteor for three years so we could really focus on their grandparents was a terrible idea

• Options
    DavexRoxy is literally the longest foreshadowed ship in the entire run of homestuck.

It's happening.

• Options
    Radius wrote: »
    DavexRoxy is literally the longest foreshadowed ship in the entire run of homestuck.

It's happening.

sorry, I just can't get over my bizarre human anathema to incest

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Dave's the one who wants to fuck his mom, not me or you.

• Options
    oh wait, from the way Scratch talked about it John is foreshadowed to die a permanent death at the end

nvm

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    while I'm sad about rose's alcoholism and terezi's clownoholism

just gotta say

suck it haters rosexkanaya 4eva

• Options
    It's weird there are lingering issues though, from a storytelling point of view. Once the meteor enters the session, the way things have built up, there will be literally no time at all for the smaller things like rose's alcoholism to get resolved. Everyone is going to be too busy.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    It's weird there are lingering issues though, from a storytelling point of view. Once the meteor enters the session, the way things have built up, there will be literally no time at all for the smaller things like rose's alcoholism to get resolved. Everyone is going to be too busy.

there's always the trope of "protagonists trapped together in the bad guys' dungeon, talking things out" to consider

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Maybe the video game is at least partially hussie's realization of that and will be the real epilogue, resolving the issues he realized so far in he'd have no time to properly work out while still playing out a story that actually has an ending.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it's also kinda weird that these big dramatic character shifts happen off-screen

personally i'm kind of more interested in the emotional lives of the kids than i am in whatever the fuck is going on with lord english

it's like how the whole prophecy dealie is by far the least important part of game of thrones

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    You know, there's the slight chance that, as fast as the meteor is going, they might run into/pick up Dirk, travel right through the incipisphere and knock over Jack English on the way out.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think andrew has a lot of interest in tying up every single dangled thread, although he does tend to weave more of them back in than I generally expect. I think there's a bit of a conflict going on between the MSPA ideal, which is that every throwaway gag or random object/personality trait will and must become critical or at least relevant at some point, and the sheer quantity of story.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    As Trickster Mode has shown all we need is everything becoming terrible for a week or two and have a massive hungover feelings jam for literally every character in the story

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    And yet he keep weaving more in. Rose being too into alcohol didn't even need to be a thing at all. I can't imagine he'd have bothered if he didn't plan on doing anything with it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    And yet he keep weaving more in. Rose being too into alcohol didn't even need to be a thing at all. I can't imagine he'd have bothered if he didn't plan on doing anything with it.

Yeah who knows where that's going.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    As Trickster Mode has shown all we need is everything becoming terrible for a week or two and have a massive hungover feelings jam for literally every character in the story

lets think about this for a second.

Trickster Karkat

• Options
    there's also the distinct possibility that the ending, whatever it may be, might be unsatisfactory

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

Well, even though I doubt it in this case, Dave has had a tendency to overstate things in the past.
    there's also the distinct possibility that the ending, whatever it may be, might be unsatisfactory

I think this sometimes, but then I remember PS had what could reasonably be called a happy ending.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Simply the fact that it will end will be unsatisfactory

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    maybe the only reason her relationship with kanaya works is because she's drunk

there's gotta be a catch right? considering literally everyone else is having relationship issues

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Smasher wrote: »
    Though to be fair she is Roxy's mom/daughter.

That's the contrivance. I understand her trying booze to understand her mother's perspective, but it developing into full-blown alcoholism despite her situation not really being anything like that of her mother's or Roxy's seems forced. Karkat is right in that alcohol isn't some automatically terrible thing, it's when it starts being detrimental to other aspects of your life that it becomes an issue. That's why we generally weren't uncomfortable with Roxy's habit, as it helped her cope with a shitty situation, and didn't impair her ability to do anything but type.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    As we're getting closer to the end of homestuck I'm slowly beginning to worry that maybe it won't turn out as good as I want it to

Because a lot of my love of the story is predicated on the assumption that it will follow through on the promises its made and its getting close to the time when it'll have to put up or shut up

But hey you know what my stance has always been "wait and see where hussie is going with this before deciding if I like it or not" and so far I have not been disappointed

Also how weird is it that we're at a point where we can talk about the ending of homestuck as a real thing happening in the relatively near future instead of it just being a joke

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    I think that
    a) Homestuck will have a satisfactory ending
    b) The game will mainly be a sidequest and that it will not be required to enjoy the comic

I think it'd be pretty shitty to stop Homestuck at some point and say you have to play the game to get the real details on the ending. And I think the ending will be satisfactory because it will need to make me want to play the game, despite having paid for it already.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    But yeah, I didn't think the meteor sequence was going to end with everyone coming out with their problems solved and interpersonal relationships mended. That'd be boring. The fact that everyone is apparently alive is actually a little surprising to me; I was expecting the worst.

Also we still don't know if John has gotten past his angst or what happened over there, other than that Jade still briefly seemed to be Jade.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I think the games either going to be a version of homestuck where Sburb is played straight, maybe with a new cast of characters altogether, or else a condensed, edited version of the homestuck story from the comic

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    hussie is too good of a writer to do a happily-ever-after ending, doggies

wherein happily every after is the fans getting what they think they want

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    My guess would be playing as Meena in the pre-scratch troll session, but I can probably count the number of things I've predicted about Homestuck correctly on one hand.

Like, remember when I said the Kickstarter wouldn't get funded?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm thinking John definitely dies

Terezi too

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I think we're gonna have a problem sleuth type situation where John comes to the brink of dying but manages to pull through

• Options
    edited February 2013
    nope John dies for real

it has to happen

it's the only way Dad can hold him in his arms as he passes and say

"I am so, so proud of you"

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    hussie is too good of a writer to do a happily-ever-after ending, doggies

wherein happily every after is the fans getting what they think they want

Problem Sleuth had a happily-ever-after ending.

Or, perhaps more importantly, I liked the ending.

Endings are tricky. You obviously can't give the fans exactly what they want because fans are dumb and "what they want" is a pretty disparate thing. You also can't go totally off-the-rails because then you just end up pissing everyone off (see: Mass Effect 3). The trick to a good ending, then, is to make one that afterward fans will say "that's what I wanted!" even if they didn't know it.

This discussion has been closed.