Options

Destiny (2014): It Looks Pretty Neat

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    Machwing wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »

I wonder how much Activision is dictating things to Bungie, in comparison to how Microsoft handled it. Less dictatorial? More?

I'm beginning to wonder if they're getting Destiny ready to replace COD instead of augment it

in which case, definitely more

I think I heard a couple of journalists say they felt like Bungie wanted to show more than they did

It's unlikely, COD is still a big seller, people like their military shooters. Whatever this year's game is will play an important role in that franchise's future, though.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I can only see the COD franchise fading away if they refuse to innovate and change things up

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I can only see the COD franchise fading away if they refuse to innovate and change things up

so COD's going away, huh

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

so COD's going away, huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKLdou0LH0

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

so COD's going away, huh

*Canned laughter*

Really though, Black Ops 2 was still CoD, but it did some interesting things.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    maybe destiny in spring and cod in fall

or the other way around

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    -Tal wrote: »

or the other way around
    god i hope not
    nothing kills a series faster than becoming a yearly release
    I doubt Activision will have the patience to give Bungie their time, though.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I do find it funny that so many people with wireless 360 controllers go with the rechargeable battery made specifically for the controller instead of just buying the battery cover that holds 2 double As. With the battery cover, I can use rechargeable double As and when the batteries run low, I just throw in some charged batteries while the drained ones recharge. With the rechargeable battery, you have to plug the whole controller in which is just stupid.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    The schedule they've detailed has Destiny games coming out every other year, I think

then expansions or some form of minor content release on the off years

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Jerkbot wrote: »

or the other way around
    god i hope not
    nothing kills a series faster than becoming a yearly release
    I doubt Activision will have the patience to give Bungie their time, though.

the leaked contract had four biennial releases with expansion packs inbetween

that was an old contract and the stuff we know now already contradicts some of it, though

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

so COD's going away, huh

I spose it could just go on forever if nobody else innovates either.

The future is COD.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

so COD's going away, huh

I spose it could just go on forever if nobody else innovates either.

The future is COD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHyD49DaeA

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I'd rather see Destiny be a Guild Warsy sort of deal where it's one huge game that gets potentially standalone (but also interconnecting) expansions than a biannual series.

Basically the exact opposite of what CoD did.

• Options
    I don't even think of singleplayer when I think COD, but yeah that shit is dire tiresome

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    modern military shooters are the devil, bobby

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

so COD's going away, huh

*Canned laughter*

It introduced some neat stuff, like that segment with the glider packs, but they were never explored
    You got to do it for about a minute or so and even then it was on rails

Riding the horses was cool though

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I liked the story line in MW And I kinda liked it in MW2.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    battlefield 3's singleplayer campaign is hilariously bad. It's a study of the grotesque in 4-hour shooter person games.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I'm....not sure how I feel about this

If it really does fulfill what it promises then I'll be super excited. Maybe. Possibly.

All I know for sure is that it will definitely be a very very pretty game

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    call of duty 4 was an excellent game

its shitty knockoffs like spec ops the line though...

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

You do know that Spec Ops is nothing like CoD, nor is it trying to be anything remotely like it right?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Treyarch tries to change things up in their cod version. Especially in the multiplayer but i dont think activision gives them much leeway. I still love cod multi though even if it does get a bad wrap from folks

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Everything using modern military stuff is a CoD clone. CoD invented modern military tactics and equipment.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Darmak wrote: »

You do know that Spec Ops is nothing like CoD, nor is it trying to be anything remotely like it right?

it most certainly is

spec ops the line would not exist in its current form if call of duty had not exploded

it follows the video Pony posted to a Rated T for Teen

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

it most certainly is

spec ops the line would not exist in its current form if call of duty had not exploded

Besides the modern setting in Sandistan and shooting generic brown guys, you really don't know anything about Spec Ops at all, do you? It's not trying to be anything like CoD at all.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

it most certainly is

Besides the modern setting in Sandistan and shooting generic brown guys, you really don't know anything about Spec Ops at all, do you? It's not trying to be anything like CoD at all.

And to be honest, the video that Pony posted is just kind of 7 minutes of whinging about rather petty points that aren't exactly restricted to the "modern military shooter" and have been around since video games with a story have existed.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular

it most certainly is

Oh my god you're so wrong it is physically hurting me stop it

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

so COD's going away, huh

*Canned laughter*

It introduced some neat stuff, like that segment with the glider packs, but they were never explored

I was thinking more about the consequences of your actions that you may not even know are consequences. Stuff that if you messed up in other games either a) wouldn't matter b) would be scripted or c) would result in a game over. Fail to catch someone or save some documents? Your mission keeps going, you're just going to be worse off in the long run. It's a shame those tactical side-missions have poor ally AI and are overwhelming otherwise they would be cool too.

Also on the multiplayer side of things the Pick 10 and Scorestreaks systems are welcome changes.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Yeah Spec Ops specifically relies on deconstruction of the CoD linear story mission to work in the way it does.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

so COD's going away, huh

*Canned laughter*

I was thinking more about the consequences of your actions that you may not even know are consequences. Stuff that if you messed up in other games either a) wouldn't matter b) would be scripted or c) would result in a game over. Fail to catch someone or save some documents? Your mission keeps going, you're just going to be worse off in the long run. It's a shame those tactical side-missions have poor ally AI and are overwhelming otherwise they would be cool too.

Also on the multiplayer side of things the Pick 10 and Scorestreaks systems are welcome changes.

Oh yeah, fair enough
    I had kinda completely forgotten about the "consequences" element because of how awful that tactical defense game was

• Options
    But also future tech makes me giddy.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I still can't get over Bungie's concept art.

I'm all drooly over here.

(someone stop me from buying that print)

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited February 2013

it most certainly is

it is trying very hard to be like cod so it can do "hey isn't cod kind of screwed up you guys"

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    What's Destiny

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Why are we here?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    What's Destiny

mass over volume

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I still can't get over Bungie's concept art.

I'm all drooly over here.

(someone stop me from buying that print)

Buy them all.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    I do find it funny that so many people with wireless 360 controllers go with the rechargeable battery made specifically for the controller instead of just buying the battery cover that holds 2 double As. With the battery cover, I can use rechargeable double As and when the batteries run low, I just throw in some charged batteries while the drained ones recharge. With the rechargeable battery, you have to plug the whole controller in which is just stupid.

I've never jumped on rechargeable batteries before

How long do they remain viable?

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The rechargeable packs made for the 360 controllers suck as they will just shit out on you with no warning as will the plug and plays. I finally bought a wired controller because I'm never far enough away to need wireless and microsoft's rechargeables suck.