As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Five Easy [chat]s

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    This is goddamn hilarious.

I'm stressed about schoolwork so I can't focus and study... But studying would alleviate my stress because one of the sources is an upcoming exam.

I am such a dumb.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Go to bed, copyright thread gets 404 new messages.

Whee.

It did at least wander off in a novel direction, though. With an argument between "endless copyright as a moral position" and "if you can't make money off something in ten years you don't deserve to".

Also, copyright as a cattle prod held behind artists to encourage them to keep working.

Yeah it never occurred to me that people would find the idea of someone making money from a work or design over a long period to be morally offensive.

I think nerds just want a law to stab GRRM with. TEN YEARS ARE UP YOU FUCKER NOW WE HIRE KEVIN ANDERSON TO FINISH IT OFF.

More like Timothy Zahn
    We find out that Grand Admiral Thrawn is awaiting beyond The Wall.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Delmain wrote: »

Whee.

It did at least wander off in a novel direction, though. With an argument between "endless copyright as a moral position" and "if you can't make money off something in ten years you don't deserve to".

Also, copyright as a cattle prod held behind artists to encourage them to keep working.

Yeah it never occurred to me that people would find the idea of someone making money from a work or design over a long period to be morally offensive.

Wait, I don't get what you're saying here. I don't see anything (yet, I'm not done catching up) about people being offended by the idea of copyright at all. I see a lot of "copyright shouldn't be forever" and that is a completely logical line of thinking.

People were proposing terms as short as ten years, which means, for example, that HBO wouldn't have had to pay GRRM for making Game of Thrones.

And this would apparently be Martin's fault for not recognising and exploiting that commercial opportunity himself on a sufficiently brisk fashion.

japan on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I am digging that image desc

I'm so glad that chat is basically a digital proboscis i can extend to graze the lush cultural and intellectual shrubs beyond my normal reach

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    new ME3 kits are all completely absurd

ermahgod
    I played a bunch this weekend. I got a Demolisher, Paladin, and Havoc, one of my bros got a Destroyer (which is ridiculous).

The Havoc is totally over the top; I felt like I was playing Counterstrike.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like going to movies with my wife, because she doesn't talk, unwrap individually wrapped sweets, noisily suck the dregs of a milkshake through a straw or check the brightly glowing screen of her smartphone. Also, I love her but that is way behind the other things when it comes to picking a suitable moviegoing companion.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Almost out of deodorant ...

Unacceptable. Six hours without deodorant and I can lightly sniff the air and feel as though I am suddenly in the presence of a rotting husk of flesh.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Whee.

Wait, I don't get what you're saying here. I don't see anything (yet, I'm not done catching up) about people being offended by the idea of copyright at all. I see a lot of "copyright shouldn't be forever" and that is a completely logical line of thinking.

People were proposing terms as short as ten years, which means, for example, that HBO wouldn't have had to pay GRRM for making Game of Thrones.

And this would apparently be Martin's fault for not recognising and exploiting that commercial opportunity himself on a sufficiently brisk fashion.

That is dumb short. My favorite option was the trademark with restrictions idea someone put forth. If you keep innovating with the IP regularly, you're covered, but if you stop (or die) it's open.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    boooo

I'm supposed to be at a 3 day seminar on C++/CX coding for windows 8

but it got cancelled at the last minute so I'm just at normal ole work

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Whee.

The only concern is whether or not it would incentivize the creation of new stuff or not.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Am I missing something here or is this a horrifically shitty thing to do to a human being? http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1017090

Because a guy posted it on facebook and I said it was a shitty thing to do and this is apparently a case of white knighting.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    boooo

That sucks. That actually doesn't sound half bad if the company is paying.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Am I missing something here or is this a horrifically shitty thing to do to a human being? http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1017090

Because a guy posted it on facebook and I said it was a shitty thing to do and this is apparently a case of white knighting.

that's pretty distasteful, yeah

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    It strikes me as something that Bernard Manning or Roy Chubby Brown would find distasteful

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

I'm so glad that chat is basically a digital proboscis i can extend to graze the lush cultural and intellectual shrubs beyond my normal reach

all me

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

It seems like a pretty shitty thing to do.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

I did not know "white knighting" was going "oh look, an asshole".

themoreyouknow.jpg, I guess.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Making fun of people's appearance is a shitty thing to do, IMO.

• Options
    boooo

That sucks. That actually doesn't sound half bad if the company is paying.

I've been doing some as a hobbyist and it is an amazingly good framework.

As you might expect, underneath that damn UI win8 is a developers dreamland. Really well thought out.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

jiFfM.jpg

488W936.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Yeah it is pretty shitty.

Any time you're causing someone else anguish for pleasure is shitty.

Doubly so when it is a lot of pain for a tiny amount of giggles.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

It's a shitty thing

It's also a funny thing, but that doesn't stop it from being a shitty thing

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

It's a shitty thing to do.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Elldren wrote: »

It's a shitty thing

It's also a funny thing, but that doesn't stop it from being a shitty thing

Yeah this seems about right.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i hope ms releases a service pack for win8 that lets you basically just use it like windows 7 but with the good stuff from windows 8

because most of the new pcs here in the uk are being shipped with win7 over win8 due to customer demand

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I did not know "white knighting" was going "oh look, an asshole".

themoreyouknow.jpg, I guess.

In Dickshitese, "to white knight" simply means "to call me out on any interaction with a woman up to and including obvious out-and-out misogyny"

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

It would be one thing if you were knocking someone down a peg who had it coming.

Another thing entirely to just message random people like that. What a shitstain.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Whee.

The only concern is whether or not it would incentivize the creation of new stuff or not.

I have issues with a term so short that those most likely to benefit from a work are large companies with the clout to quickly monetise something. Especially when (as in the HBO example) they could pretty much just lift an existing, popular, work wholesale.

I don't think that's a system that incentivises individual creativity.

• Options
    I understand that various types of humor that I enjoy also cause people anguish. That's part of the price of comedy, there's always a victim. I just think the cruelty to humour ratio is out of whack on this one. Can you imagine how shitty you would feel if someone did that to you? Especially that black girl. Jesus...

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Some of those are just straight up racist. Pretty much all are about making someone cry and then laughing about it afterwards.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Yes

And they have been on the outs so long that you can be a hipster about it

"Whistler's mother? *roll eyes* I guess I'm more of a Dewing man, myself."

And then you pedal off on your fixie

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    It's really not fundamentally different from any other prank.

Outside of it mocking women for their looks (and a couple of them being arguably racist).

Which is pretty shitty.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    I understand that various types of humor that I enjoy also cause people anguish. That's part of the price of comedy, there's always a victim. I just think the cruelty to humour ratio is out of whack on this one. Can you imagine how shitty you would feel if someone did that to you? Especially that black girl. Jesus...

Caricature can be funny or mean, but what makes it really shitty is the element of "haha I made this shitty mean caricature and sent it to the person in question purely to hurt their feelings"

• Options
    I really tend to avoid any pistonheads thread not specifically about car stuff.

Some of their political threads are horrific.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    oh god the comments

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Outside of it mocking women for their looks (and a couple of them being arguably racist).

Which is pretty shitty.

Yeah that's a big thing. It deliberately chose something that people associate with their self-worth because society is shitty and tears them down with it.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well this was depressing.
    While getting some tea (hot chocolate) I glanced at the physical NZ Herald, and saw the Conservative Gay Marriage poll which I wanted to share, since it's pretty amusing.
    From memory:
    18-40: 60%/40%
    41-60: 50%/50%
    61+: 60%/40%

How that for age distribution?

Anyway, looking for that graph on the online version, I looked through the articles for it, which turned out to be stupid. The politicians are stupid. Everyone is stupid!

God dammit.

Didn't even manage to get the graph picture for my trouble.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Pistonheads is not the place to go if you want something to change your stereotypical view of boy-racer car nuts.

• Options
    i hope ms releases a service pack for win8 that lets you basically just use it like windows 7 but with the good stuff from windows 8

because most of the new pcs here in the uk are being shipped with win7 over win8 due to customer demand

Well if a program has admin permissions (so not something you could distribute via the store) then you can pretty much reskin win8

I'd be suprised if that hasn't been done already.

Though I will say that you get used to the new UI. After about a week of using it on my work machine (so many hours each day) I was acclimated. Maybe a bit longer for a game machine.

And of course if someone makes up their mind in the first 5 minutes that they will hates it forever and so doesn't make any effort to actually learn how to do stuff in the new UI then they'll of course never get used to it.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Which is pretty shitty.

Yeah that's a big thing. It deliberately chose something that people associate with their self-worth because society is shitty and tears them down with it.

also: in a context where that person might be feeling particularly nervous about their appearance (an online dating site)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.