Options

The Old VIDEO GAME RPG thread is dead. Long live the new VIDEO GAME RPG thread!

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    In a (admittedly brief) search, I can't find one. Is there a list of all the battle quotes from Xenoblade on a webpage somewhere? There's one at the end of battles I've heard a couple of times that I never hear the first sentence to, just the responses, and I want to know why they say "Lets just pretend it never happened..."

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yukira wrote: »
    I'd love to get 2 other people and play through Secret of Mana on the VC.

Can it be done on the Wii? This is important.

Wii? Yes. Online? No.

Sounds like a weekend of drinking and cheesy old RPG.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I'd love to get 2 other people and play through Secret of Mana on the VC.

Can it be done on the Wii? This is important.

Wii? Yes. Online? No.

Sounds like a weekend of drinking and cheesy old RPG.

Well, shit.

• Options
    The Wii does not do online well.

I think it'd be more fun playing the game in person like the old days.

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    In a (admittedly brief) search, I can't find one. Is there a list of all the battle quotes from Xenoblade on a webpage somewhere? There's one at the end of battles I've heard a couple of times that I never hear the first sentence to, just the responses, and I want to know why they say "Lets just pretend it never happened..."

According to Reyn's page on the Xenoblade wiki:
    Reyn: "You can't make a rainbow without Reyn!"
    Melia: "Dunban you need to talk to Reyn"
    Dunban: "No, let's just pretend it didn't happen."

• Options
    Syphyre wrote: »

According to Reyn's page on the Xenoblade wiki:
    Reyn: "You can't make a rainbow without Reyn!"
    Melia: "Dunban you need to talk to Reyn"
    Dunban: "No, let's just pretend it didn't happen."

A) Thank you
    B) That's hilariously awesome.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    That dude is a treasure, I keep Reyn in my party pretty much full time. I outlevel the quest/story mobs in satorl marsh so I just steamroll through everything with overwhelming dps.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    I have Ni No Kuni, but I need more RPGs.
    Suggest some good ones for either PS3 or Xbox for me?
    Or PS Vita!

But I don't have/use/want a DS, so don't suggest for that

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    the first two Suikodens are still two of my favorite RPGs of all time, with part 2 taking the top slot, just edging out FF6.

Suikoden 3 was pretty great, too, although I still don't understand why they did the pairing thing with the combat system.

Vagrant Story, Vandal Hearts, FFT, FF7 and 9, Alundra, Breath of Fire, Grandia, Legend of Dragoon, Wild ARMs, the Lunar re-releases, Tales of Destiny, Xenogears...

The PS1 was a fucking wealth of RPGs for me. Still probably my most cherished era of gaming so far, even though I loved my PS2 so much.

I like the cut of your jib.
    neville wrote: »
    Or PS Vita!

Opinions: All based on 360 versions.

Blue Dragon - Kind of like a Dragon Quest but less good. A lot of people seem to hate it but I thought it was fine. Uematsu music, although far from his best. Hilarious boss music. But seriously never do lyrics again, please.

Eternal Sonata - Stupid weird Japanese Chopin plot. Combat system is pretty fun though. Has one really, really stupid cutscene and a lot of other stupid cutscenes.

Final Fantasy XIII - Nah. I can't recommend it although I don't hate it that much.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - I will recommend this though. The combat system was made better than XIII, collecting monsters and doing stuff with them is fun, it's just a fun game if can ignore or get past the plot that makes no sense.

Infinite Undiscovery - Mediocre all around. Can't recommend it unless you're desperate.

Last Remnant - Oh god no. I heard the PC version is less terrible though.

Lost Odyssey - Similar to a more modern Final Fantasy in gameplay. Some pretty good characters and graphics although the battle system can become tiresome after awhile. Uematsu music here too, and it's some of the good stuff.

Nier - Oh, play this. It's way more action RPG than anything else but despite some problems it's really fun with a good story and some great music as well.

Phantasy Star Universe - Meh.

Resonance of Fate - Now this is an interesting game. Has a unique combat system that takes a lot of getting used to. Kind of an odd plot that doesn't get much of anywhere, but the world is really different. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try although it will take awhile to get into.

Star Ocean the Last Hope - Hope you like 45 minute cutscenes!

Tales of Vesperia - Ok, I played Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny 2 and liked those fine. But for whatever reason I never played another Tales game until this one. I really liked Vesperia but I can't compare to most of the other Tales games for how good it is but I think I've heard that people rate it highly in comparison. But it is good, and goes to show how main characters named Yuri are always awesome.

Schide on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The Wii does not do online well.

I think it'd be more fun playing the game in person like the old days.

Every multiplayer game is more fun in person, fuck not putting in splitscreen or local play options in games anymore.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Or PS Vita!

Tales of Vesperia. Art style is reminiscent of Ni No Kuni but the battle system is very different and the game world is huuuuge. They added even more stuff to the PS3 version which I've never played.

My other favorites from this gen would probably be Resonance of Fate (crazy gun battle jrpg), Blue Dragon (FF job system rpg) and Lost Odyssey (Basically Final Fantasy for the 360 before there was such a thing).

Maximum on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Or PS Vita!

nier

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I thought the PS3 version of Vesperia never made it to US shores

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Throwing my vote in for tales of vesperia and lost odyssey

I don't have a vita but I hear persona 4 golden is suppose to be really good.

• Options
    I thought the PS3 version of Vesperia never made it to US shores

Seems you're correct.

Maybe I was thinking of the PS3 version of Star Ocean (don't play that).

• Options
    Hmm, I should see about doing a drunken multiplayer Secret of Mana.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Everyone play Tales of Vesperia its super good

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Lies

Play Star Ocean 3 and 4 instead

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Lies

DO NOT PLAY TILL THE END OF TIME

• Options
    CorporateLogo is the Devil. Do not let him trick you.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    My friend made me play a copy of SO4 he had rented just so he could show me how bad it was.

I turned it off after half an hour.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I wanted to like SO4 so bad, and all it did was abuse my eyes and ears.

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    the first two Suikodens are still two of my favorite RPGs of all time, with part 2 taking the top slot, just edging out FF6.

Suikoden 3 was pretty great, too, although I still don't understand why they did the pairing thing with the combat system.

Vagrant Story, Vandal Hearts, FFT, FF7 and 9, Alundra, Breath of Fire, Grandia, Legend of Dragoon, Wild ARMs, the Lunar re-releases, Tales of Destiny, Xenogears...

The PS1 was a fucking wealth of RPGs for me. Still probably my most cherished era of gaming so far, even though I loved my PS2 so much.

I like the cut of your jib.
    Or PS Vita!

Opinions: All based on 360 versions.

Blue Dragon - Kind of like a Dragon Quest but less good. A lot of people seem to hate it but I thought it was fine. Uematsu music, although far from his best. Hilarious boss music. But seriously never do lyrics again, please.

Eternal Sonata - Stupid weird Japanese Chopin plot. Combat system is pretty fun though. Has one really, really stupid cutscene and a lot of other stupid cutscenes.

Final Fantasy XIII - Nah. I can't recommend it although I don't hate it that much.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - I will recommend this though. The combat system was made better than XIII, collecting monsters and doing stuff with them is fun, it's just a fun game if can ignore or get past the plot that makes no sense.

Infinite Undiscovery - Mediocre all around. Can't recommend it unless you're desperate.

Last Remnant - Oh god no. I heard the PC version is less terrible though.

Lost Odyssey - Similar to a more modern Final Fantasy in gameplay. Some pretty good characters and graphics although the battle system can become tiresome after awhile. Uematsu music here too, and it's some of the good stuff.

Nier - Oh, play this. It's way more action RPG than anything else but despite some problems it's really fun with a good story and some great music as well.

Phantasy Star Universe - Meh.

Resonance of Fate - Now this is an interesting game. Has a unique combat system that takes a lot of getting used to. Kind of an odd plot that doesn't get much of anywhere, but the world is really different. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try although it will take awhile to get into.

Star Ocean the Last Hope - Hope you like 45 minute cutscenes!

Tales of Vesperia - Ok, I played Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny 2 and liked those fine. But for whatever reason I never played another Tales game until this one. I really liked Vesperia but I can't compare to most of the other Tales games for how good it is but I think I've heard that people rate it highly in comparison. But it is good, and goes to show how main characters named Yuri are always awesome.

Oh sorry I should've listed the ones I have already.

Blue Dragon - Pretty sure the guy who made MegaMan 9 made this, with the same design philosophy: "I fucking hate people and want them to suffer." Seriously, making people "collect" 65,000 Nothing's? Fuck you, guy.

Eternal Sonata - I have it, didn't get too far though.

FF13 - shoot me.

Infinite Undiscovery - I have it too. I wanted to Infinitely Getarefund

Lost Odyssey - I liked this game a lot

Resonance of Fate - I have it, but trailed off somewhere

Star Ocean - I have it, but the fucking AI for your guys are stupid. I'm level 52 and am stuck on some boss in a sand pit and have been grinding XP for like 3 hours...still can't beat him because my teammates are stupid. I'm all for grinding, but not for bosses that you can't beat purely b/c you:
    1 - Levelled up the "wrong" characters ( this means your game is dumb)
    2 - Have bad AI (see above RE: dumb) :-(

Tales of Vesperia - I thought I had it... maybe not

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Yeah, then definitely get Nier and Tales, and try to play Resonance some more. Those would be my main recommendations for sure.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I could have dealt with the visuals and VO in SO4 is the controls and combat weren't so frustrating. It should not be frustrating to run around in an empty field.

• Options
    SO 3 was such a disappointment after 2.

Hell, 1 is pretty awesome.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    CorporateLogo is the Devil. Do not let him trick you.

I'm not the devil, I'm devilish

I'm devilicious

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Got Etrian Odyssey IV today, now there are mini-dungeons so I can draw even more maps!

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I bought persona 3.

I'm kinda weirded out that it doesn't have a city to walk around like the first two did.

• Options
    I recently beat The Last Story. I liked it. Very rough in terms of combat and pacing but I liked a lot of the characters and it was still fairly fun.

Gotta figure out what I'm going to play next after I finally play Super Mario Galaxy. Still have like 5 PSP RPGs I have yet to play that I bought like a year and a half ago.

And I bet I'll end up getting Etrian Odyssey IV even though I had no interest in the other three. Gotta have justification for getting that 3DS after all.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    Man, whenever I see this thread I think of one of my favorite RPGs back on the SNES, Lufia 2. I don't know why I like it so much, but I still fire up that game every couple years to play through it. Also, Super Mario RPG was pretty good too.

Lufia II was great

one time I had a playthrough where Guy got bugged

basically what happened was, he became level 99 for no reason

I beat Gades the first time I encountered him

(this is not supposed to happen)

he was all, "Oh, shit! Who the fuck are these guys?! I'd better go tell Daos!"

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I bought persona 3.

I'm kinda weirded out that it doesn't have a city to walk around like the first two did.

Standard, FES, or Portable?

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was the first RPG I ever played so it holds a special place in my heart.

Of this generation, the best two games I played were Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Two very different atmospheres, but similar gameplay mechanics. Ni No Kuni is good but I got bummed out because I bought the game to get my mind off my mom's heart attack and whoops, the main character's mom dies in the first 5 minutes from a heart attack.

Plus Blue Dragon's boss music was insane. First time you heard it you're like "what the fuck is this?" but then after awhile you hear the guitar riff and you think "FUCK YEAH BOSS BATTLE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    And of course there's the misheard lyrics version that I always enjoy watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5eW9g5sOZY

• Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was the first RPG I ever played so it holds a special place in my heart.

Of this generation, the best two games I played were Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Two very different atmospheres, but similar gameplay mechanics. Ni No Kuni is good but I got bummed out because I bought the game to get my mind off my mom's heart attack and whoops, the main character's mom dies in the first 5 minutes from a heart attack.

Plus Blue Dragon's boss music was insane. First time you heard it you're like "what the fuck is this?" but then after awhile you hear the guitar riff and you think "FUCK YEAH BOSS BATTLE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

Lost Odyssey was great, but Blue Dragon was just ridiculous.
    It had a few redeeming things, but the voice acting was hands down some of the worst I've ever heard.
    I can't tell if they just got awful VAs or deliberately picked the most obnoxious ones they could find.

Either way, blech.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Also FUCK the achievements in that game.
    I put in like 60 hours... got like maybe 1/4 of them.
    "Get every ability and every job to 99 on char 1. char 2. etc"

No. Fuck you. FUCK. YOU.
    :|

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    When I was five years old my dad borrowed the original final fantasy from one of his friends, and I played the hell out of it. It's the reason I got hooked on rpgs and really gaming in general.

Of course, I accidentally returned the game to them saved in the middle of the ocean, with one guy alive, dying to poison well before he'd ever reach land.

Whoops.

• Options
    I finally got myself to stop caring about achievements in RPGs. It's not worth it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    When I was five years old my dad borrowed the original final fantasy from one of his friends, and I played the hell out of it. It's the reason I got hooked on rpgs and really gaming in general.

Of course, I accidentally returned the game to them saved in the middle of the ocean, with one guy alive, dying to poison well before he'd ever reach land.

Whoops.

ladies and gentlemen, history's greatest monster

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Lies

DO NOT PLAY TILL THE END OF TIME

Literally the worst video game I've ever played.