As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D] Chronicles of Mystara. STOP. Burning oil and hammer time!

ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Games and Technology
Launch tailer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWKN7V8xC2I

Reveal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQ3zq4x4Kw

From Capcom Unity (link):
Announcements! Gotta love 'em. Here's one for the ages.

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom and its sequel Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara, the classic arcade beat-'em-up adaptations of Wizards of the Coast's pen-and-paper RPG are BACK, remastered and refined for the modern age. These games are returning with updated HD graphics and a wealth of other enhancements as a definitive double pack, titled Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara. The double-pack is set for a June digital release on Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and Windows PC, developed for Capcom by Iron Galaxy and priced at $14.99/€14.99/£11.99/1200MSP. Hit the jump for more info, screenshots, and of course, that sweet sweet annoucement trailer.

Just as in the arcades, up to four players will select their character class before doing battle against the mythical beasts from the Dungeons & Dragons’ universe with a mix of melee, ranged and magic attacks. But now, thanks to GGPO, there’s no need to stand in line for hours at the smoke-filled arcade, since Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara offers seamless drop-in/drop-out online gameplay. In addition to the classic arcade mode famous for its branching paths and multiple endings, players can utilize the all new "House Rules" feature and customize gameplay for a completely different experience.

But wait--there's more. The Character Visualizer lets players track which characters they and their friends use most often and can help create a more balanced multiplayer dungeon party, or point out which characters are most under-used; with further gameplay stats tracked via a global leaderboard. Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara also includes a Challenge system that sets players in-game goals in return for level-ups and coins which can be spent in the Vault: a treasure trove of unlockables and gameplay loot. Finally, owners of the Wii U version will be able to use the GamePad touch screen to select spells and items with ease, allowing for a more streamlined gameplay experience.

I'm gonna be on the xbox. Dibs on the cleric. :)

UPDATE. Capcom game video from PAX: http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/381757284

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
Archsorcerer on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    day zero Wii U. I'm planning on taking the day off when it gets announced.

Iron Galaxy is porting the game so you know it'll be good.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Man, Deep Down could be like a Mystara for next-gen. Ono tweeted a new screenshot of the engine.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Kinda out of topic but I saw this on Polygon too: Wizards of the Coast partnering with Playdek to bring D&D board games to iOS

All this and Card Hunter, it's gonna be a great year to crawl dungeons. :)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    D&D-Clerics are so great.
    66049eeaa1bf.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2013
    That pic reminded me of an Exorcist of the Silver Flame from Eberron.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Blog post from Capcom Unity: http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/03/22/announcing-dungeons-dragons-chronicles-of-mystara

Aside from house rules, there is this:
    But wait--there's more. The Character Visualizer lets players track which characters they and their friends use most often and can help create a more balanced multiplayer dungeon party, or point out which characters are most under-used; with further gameplay stats tracked via a global leaderboard. Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara also includes a Challenge system that sets players in-game goals in return for level-ups and coins which can be spent in the Vault: a treasure trove of unlockables and gameplay loot. Finally, owners of the Wii U version will be able to use the GamePad touch screen to select spells and items with ease, allowing for a more streamlined gameplay experience.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    Oh man, I burned so many quarters on this game in college. Day 1 purchase for me, not sure which system however.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    eloquentraveeloquentrave Registered User regular
    Blog post from Capcom Unity: http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/03/22/announcing-dungeons-dragons-chronicles-of-mystara

Aside from house rules, there is this:

This is almost enough reason to get a Wii U.

I just might.

But I will most definitely get it on PS3.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    A decent compromise (to me) is since we're no longer limited to 3 buttons, items and spells are mapped to their own buttons now.

Playing a late game elf/Mage was kinda difficult when you had to go through several different ring menus to find the right spell while getting attacked.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    This should be the perfect thing to tide everybody over for Dragon's Crown (which, by the way, is looking amazing). I've always wanted to try one of these but never got the chance. I love games like Guardian Heroes and dug Capcom's stuff like Knights of the Round, so this'll be a treat.

• Options
    "Welcome to the D&D world!"

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    They also made Knights of the Round? Wicked.

Now I get why it Capcom's forums are named Unity. There was a stream of the game today: http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/381757284

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    This should be the perfect thing to tide everybody over for Dragon's Crown (which, by the way, is looking amazing). I've always wanted to try one of these but never got the chance. I love games like Guardian Heroes and dug Capcom's stuff like Knights of the Round, so this'll be a treat.

More like Dragon's Crown might be a poor bouncy substitute for this greatness.

• Options
    Don't be that ungrateful.

Is Dragon's Crown going to be available in the PS3?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Vanillaware is legendary at cocking up a good thing.

• Options
    But does Mystara have Henry VIII?

• Options
    Vanillaware is legendary at cocking up a good thing.

What did they do now?

I've only played Odin's Sphere and Muramasa, mind, but those were stellar.

...but I do not really hold out hope for most of the ideas that the creator imagined, actually being implemented into the gameplay.

I imagine the final product shall be a better, more classical beat 'em up e.g. Revenge of Death Adder version of the Capcom D&D arcade games

With boobs.

Lots of boobs.

• Options
    A large magnitude; not necessarily a great number.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    A large magnitude; not necessarily a great number.

No, no, no.

4 Sorceress teams for life.

The bust of both measures.

< sic >

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I can't wait to hear people saying that game is the tits.

DC's development:
    1. Sidescroller beat-em-up with busty ladies.
    2. Delay the release for some months.
    3. ????????
    4. Profit.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I listened to the recent 8-4 play podcast and the guy who worked on the D&D games is now on working on Dragon's Crown. What a coincidence!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Best part of the games are the secrets.

For example(Shadow over Mystara):
    There's a cursed sword that you can find in the game by entering the correct cave as you fall down the stage with the deep shaft. If you pick it up and attempt to use it, it drains your health(or paralyzes, I forget)

However, if you have the Cleric continually attempt to pick it up(he can't use swords, so it falls back to the ground), eventually it will bless the sword and remove the curse, and becomes Holy Avenger. It turns the rogue(or any other sword user, though mostly the rogue) into the most overpowered thing in the history of ever.

Also, side tidbit: in the arcade version or SoM you could give the Thief the Magic User's hat at the start of the game and there was a bug that would cause it to grant her limited immortality. That was fun. Probably would be fixed for Chronicles though I'd wager.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Wicked cool. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    It's finally happening. I thought this day might never come. The best beat 'em up of all time on a console I can be bothered to own.

If we somehow get Revenge of Death Adder (the 2nd best beat 'em up all time) then life is complete.

I actually do hope most of the bugs make it through intact. Or at least there should be an option to play with them on. They're some of the best parts of the game.

Also can't wait for all the rage from people who have their rafts piloted into the most horrible routes possible. There's got to be an achievement for instakilling every boss with lbo spam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29O7-o7BWBY

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    That's some hammer abuse.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Page- wrote: »
    It's finally happening. I thought this day might never come. The best beat 'em up of all time on a console I can be bothered to own.

If we somehow get Revenge of Death Adder (the 2nd best beat 'em up all time) then life is complete.

I actually do hope most of the bugs make it through intact. Or at least there should be an option to play with them on. They're some of the best parts of the game.

Also can't wait for all the rage from people who have their rafts piloted into the most horrible routes possible. There's got to be an achievement for instakilling every boss with lbo spam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29O7-o7BWBY

I still think Revenge of Death Adder was the best, ever.

Then Turtles In Time.

Then... well, THIS, and AvP.

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Aaaawwwwww hell yeah.

Elfin this up from Day 0.

Did she have infinite arrows in the 1st game, the 2nd, or both? If you fire them, like, 5 times in a row, the 6th time will launch 4 arrows rapid-fire. Seeing them slam repeatedly into a displacer beast face is a fond memory.

• Options

I wish I had a PS3 now. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I give Mystara the edge of Revenge of Death Adder for having more variety and better glitches. Revenge of Death Adder does have giant combat bugs, though, which is almost as awesome.

Turtles in Time would be up there, except the SNES port is so much better than the arcade version that I can't count it anymore.

Elf and Thief both have infinite projectiles (arrows and rocks) in Mystara. While it's true that every 3rd use of the projectile would fire 4 in a row instead of 1, the trick was not to wait for that, but to keep opening the item selection circle because the first use of the projectile would also fire 4 instead of 1.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Any ideas for a new thread title? The one I came up with is a little insipid.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    Sweeeeeet. Wii U version, just as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on this thing.

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    I wish that Capcom would have full versions of King of Dragons and Knights of the Round as unlockables. Not holding my breath, though

Mailman12089.jpg
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I wish that Capcom would have full versions of King of Dragons and Knights of the Round as unlockables. Not holding my breath, though

That's a good idea. You'd asphyxiate before that happened.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Any ideas for a new thread title? The one I came up with is a little insipid.
    Nocren wrote: »
    "Welcome to the D&D world!"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Reminds of my bygone youth.

Alright, I'm gonna beat this thing...

"Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Wel
    Welcome to the D&D world!"

That should be enough quarters.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    bigwillchbigwillch Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the bordering in the trailer is going to be used in the actual game? Kind of looks like it is judging by it's animations. Bit of a waste of screen real estate if it is in my opinion.

fss.png
    xbox GT: Big Will C H
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Updated HD graphics? Where? In the menus?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    You and me Arch, you and me.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    On the xbox? We need more people.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Some new information: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/28/dungeons-dragons-chronicles-of-mystaras-custom-rules-revealed/
    Unbreakable – items have infinite durability

Enemy Rush – essentially turns the game into a time attack mode. You start with 30 seconds and have to defeat enemies to increase the clock.

Vampirism – each hit recovers a bit of health

Lockpick – all chests are unlocked

Hedgehog – lose money instead of health

Elimination – a survival mode where the last player standing wins

Make it Rain – more silver pieces are dropped.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith