As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    So I think I'm on the last big fight?
    The Vox airfleet is attacking our airship and I've failed twice now. God damn motherfucking shit the songbird's cooldown timer needs to be less. This is super hard!

It really is the worst part of the game in my opinion. Along with
    The ghost fights.

Those are the only parts of the game I would change.
    Oh man the ghost fights. The subsequent ghost fights aren't too bad, still tedious, but the first one was awful. The damn airship should have its own defenses. Ones that I didn't destroy on my way to the bridge!

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    There really isn't any particular answer to this, but
    after Booker is killed, all the myriad Elizabeths blink out of existence, except for the one he knew. What's the significance of this? Why didn't she disappear as well?

And yes, big spoilers for the end of the game, don't click, etc.
    The way I understand it was those Anna's were from other timelines where Booker became Comstock. Being that this Booker was the keystone, if you will, Booker character that essentially decides if all other Bookers become either Comstock/Stay Booker the fact that he chose to die rather than become Comstock meant those other Annas never existed (or rather never got sold). The fact she stayed just means she was really his Anna. And now the only type of Booker that exists in the "Infinite" is where he stayed Booker.

Edited/Updated/Clarified

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, wasn't there supposed to be
    an entire subset of "heavy hitter" ghosts modeled off of Lady Comstock? Why was there just her? I swear, the middle to end section of the game stinks of late-development rewrites and changes.

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Finished it. Some thoughts.
    Whoa. Sad ending. I like how the game leads you into thinking she is a love interest, but she is something else entirely.

I don't think the game ever insinuated that in any way.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    The Vox airfleet is attacking our airship and I've failed twice now. God damn motherfucking shit the songbird's cooldown timer needs to be less. This is super hard!
    The huge zepplins should be your main priority as soon as they appear. If you stay towards the back of battlefield near where you enter, you can take down the zepplins with songbird as soon as they fly by before they can even launch anyone down. Just hunker down, watch both sides of the area and keep your eyes open. If you don't destroy them they will just keep launching an endless supply of patriots and mans.

If you take too long and they do launch patriots before you can hit them with songbird, use him on the floor of the arena to have him slam down and murder everything. His subsequent cooldown will end before the next round of patriots is launched, and then you can have him take out the zepplin.

ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    The huge zepplins should be your main priority as soon as they appear. If you stay towards the back of battlefield near where you enter, you can take down the zepplins with songbird as soon as they fly by before they can even launch anyone down. Just hunker down, watch both sides of the area and keep your eyes open. If you don't destroy them they will just keep launching an endless supply of patriots and mans.

If you take too long and they do launch patriots before you can hit them with songbird, use him on the floor of the arena to have him slam down and murder everything. His subsequent cooldown will end before the next round of patriots is launched, and then you can have him take out the zepplin.
    So zooming around on the skylines like an idiot while designating targets isn't a good idea? Damn!

• Options

So zooming around on the skylines like an idiot while designating targets isn't a good idea? Damn!
    No it is a very good idea. Especially if you have rocket guys up. But if you have a Zep up you kill that fucker ASAP.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Other interesting thing: Didn't the earlier trailers imply that when Elizabeth
    alters reality with a Tear

She gets sick? I guess they cut that out.
    The original implication seemed to be some kind of Choice mechanic much like the Little Sisters/Big Daddies, in that she COULD make those holes in reality, but doing it too often would be bad for her. I'm glad they took it out, I think.

Yeah, those powers were also more telekinetic in nature, which her abilities in the final game are pretty much non-offensive.

Honestly, I thought that was still in the game too, and for that reason completed it using Elizabeth's abilities sparingly. Pretty much only during nasty firefights when I absolutely needed the assistance.

And you know what?

I don't regret it.

They characterized Elizabeth so well, gave her such agency that I didn't want to cause her harm (while under that mistaken impression). Similarly to how attached I became to Alyx in Half Life 2 and my squad members in Mass Effect, even knowing they were impervious to harm (or could be picked up with a little medi-gel) I'd still find myself looking to cover them, even bail them out at significant risk. Because they had my back, and in turn I had theirs.

Watching Elizabeth develop over the course of the game, and her having my back, made me watch out for an immortal NPC.

And in my eyes, it's a big part of what makes this game something special.

A couple of times I pondered in this thread what I might do to offset the cost of the game via selling off X-Com.

At this point I no longer care. I not only got my money's worth with a single playthrough, I figure I got a pretty sweet deal.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Speaking of, wasn't there supposed to be
    an entire subset of "heavy hitter" ghosts modeled off of Lady Comstock? Why was there just her? I swear, the middle to end section of the game stinks of late-development rewrites and changes.
    Because she was a major plot point and not a mob to fight over and over (even though you still had to). :)

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Whoa. Sad ending. I like how the game leads you into thinking she is a love interest, but she is something else entirely.

Elizabeth asks Booker specifically
    if he has a wife, in a very "I'm interested in you" sort of way. Then Booker replies that he had one, but that she died in child birth. She asks about the child, and he responds that he doesn't have a child. This shuts down that concept pretty much completely. It's also a terrific little bit of foreshadowing.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SciJoSciJo Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    3) Just how divergent are Booker and Comstock's timelines? I know Comstock was rendered sterile by the Luteces' machinery, but he's also noticeably older in the game. Did he give up his own daughter, and was then rendered sterile? Or did he never have a daughter at all in this reality?

To answer your questions:
    3. People are still debating when Booker has Anna/Elizabeth. Some people think it has to be before the baptism, because the only way the ending fixes everything is if giving up Anna is what results in the Booker/Comstock split. Other people point out that it's fairly silly that Booker would rename himself after the guy that took his daughter, not recognize Robert Lutece as the fucker who on Comstock's behalf took his daughter, and then send Robert to another universe and....take his daughter. Also, Comstock appears older for the same reason he's impotent and riddled with cancer-the Lutece machines. There's a voxophone at the end that explains this. He is still Booker's age.
    I initially thought that Booker did have Anna before the baptism, but after thinking about it a little bit, it probably makes more sense that he didn't. After all, Booker and Comstock don't (and can't) live in the same timeline immediately after the split, Comstock had to come from a separate timeline to take Anna from Booker. I think that Comstock came to realize all these "prophecies" he's seen as a result of him working with the Luteces and found that in another timeline he (as Booker) conceived a daughter, and that that daughter would eventually grow up to possess amazing powers. After trying to have said child with Lady Comstock (as revealed in a voxophone recording) and failing due to his sterility, he decided to simply take "his" daughter from Booker himself. Besides, if he did already have the daughter before the baptism, why would he have to take it from Booker in the first place? He IS Booker (or was), there's no one stopping him from just taking his own daughter to Columbia (One could argue that his wife could provide resistance had she not disappeared, but then he could just simply go and steal the baby from her. He wouldn't need to go through such an elaborate scheme as dimension hopping to get his daughter back.)

As for general feelings of the ending:
    Obviously, the twist surprised me. After I got it I thought to myself, "Is this really the good ending?", expecting it to have multiple endings like the previous Bioshocks did. Then I realized that there was, in fact, only one ending. I was a little let down. What about all the choices I made? What was the point of all of them?

Then I thought, maybe that's the whole point. Much like how Bioshock's involved the illusion of free will in video games, Bioshock Infinite involved the illusion of choice. We make decisions in an attempt to alter the outcome, to shape the story to provide the favorable outcome, but in the end, the outcome remains the same. In the end, all the choices don't make a big difference in the long run.

Whether or not that was the intent, the ending was still brilliant, if not exactly happy. It managed to tie up just about everything and throw a curve ball that you might not see coming, but when you look at the context of everything that you've seen and you've done makes complete sense in the overall narrative. It is kinda a mind screw at first, forcing you to take a step back and think on it all for a bit, but once you get your thoughts collected it all comes together, which is pretty much all anyone can ask for from an ending.

SciJo on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Beat the game, pretty interesting.
    I sufficiently lost my shit when we ended up in Rapture.

So, the anomaly that Elizabeth mentions, is that when Booker decided not to go through with the baptism? Was he supposed to drown, but by not going through with it, he ended up creating infinite realities where he sells his daughter to himself and ends up becoming Comstock? Or is the anomaly that Elizabeth finally got Booker to Columbia?

Hnnnngh! It's like trying to make sense of a time travel story!

The final combat segment was some bullshit, though... I had to bump it down to easy =\

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Quick question. Don't read if ya ain't done.
    So this is probably something else I didn't pick up on, but did the commotion and such in the siphon that the janitor's vox mentions - along with the bit about the unsafe facility - stem from Bookstock's attempt to kill the Luteces via sabotage?

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    SciJo wrote: »
    3) Just how divergent are Booker and Comstock's timelines? I know Comstock was rendered sterile by the Luteces' machinery, but he's also noticeably older in the game. Did he give up his own daughter, and was then rendered sterile? Or did he never have a daughter at all in this reality?

To answer your questions:
    3. People are still debating when Booker has Anna/Elizabeth. Some people think it has to be before the baptism, because the only way the ending fixes everything is if giving up Anna is what results in the Booker/Comstock split. Other people point out that it's fairly silly that Booker would rename himself after the guy that took his daughter, not recognize Robert Lutece as the fucker who on Comstock's behalf took his daughter, and then send Robert to another universe and....take his daughter. Also, Comstock appears older for the same reason he's impotent and riddled with cancer-the Lutece machines. There's a voxophone at the end that explains this. He is still Booker's age.
    I initially thought that Booker did have Anna before the baptism, but after thinking about it a little bit, it probably makes more sense that he didn't. After all, Booker and Comstock don't (and can't) live in the same timeline immediately after the split, Comstock had to come from a separate timeline to take Anna from Booker. I think that Comstock came to realize all these "prophecies" he's seen as a result of him working with the Luteces and found that in another timeline he (as Booker) conceived a daughter, and that that daughter would eventually grow up to possess amazing powers. After trying to have said child with Lady Comstock (as revealed in a voxophone recording) and failing due to his sterility, he decided to simply take "his" daughter from Booker himself. Besides, if he did already have the daughter before the baptism, why would he have to take it from Booker in the first place? He IS Booker (or was), there's no one stopping him from just taking his own daughter to Columbia (One could argue that his wife could provide resistance had she not disappeared, but then he could just simply go and steal the baby from her. He wouldn't need to go through such an elaborate scheme as dimension hopping to get his daughter back.)

As for general feelings of the ending:
    Obviously, the twist surprised me. After I got it I thought to myself, "Is this really the good ending?", expecting it to have multiple endings like the previous Bioshocks did. Then I realized that there was, in fact, only one ending. I was a little let down. What about all the choices I made? What was the point of all of them?

Then I thought, maybe that's the whole point. Much like how Bioshock's involved the illusion of free will in video games, Bioshock Infinite involved the illusion of choice. We make decisions in an attempt to alter the outcome, to shape the story to provide the favorable outcome, but in the end, the outcome remains the same. In the end, all the choices don't make a big difference in the long run.

Whether or not that was the intent, the ending was still brilliant, if not exactly happy. It managed to tie up just about everything and throw a curve ball that you might not see coming, but when you look at the context of everything that you've seen and you've done makes complete sense in the overall narrative. It is kinda a mind screw at first, forcing you to take a step back and think on it all for a bit, but once you get your thoughts collected it all comes together, which is pretty much all anyone can ask for from an ending.

Actually:
    I think the illusion of choice result is a common opinion around here. And I don't see how there could be a debate on when he had Anna. It is pretty straight forward through the voice journals of Comstock and the main arc of Booker that he got Baptised after the post traumatic stress that is killing hundreds of unarmed "savages". It is mentioned that this was his wild time. The time between Wounded Knee and the will he/won't he get baptised event. To me there is not doubt that Anna was born after this fact. When he gives her away she is in a crib in New York.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    after Booker is killed, all the myriad Elizabeths blink out of existence, except for the one he knew. What's the significance of this? Why didn't she disappear as well?

The final piano note with the screen turning black was her disappearance

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

No it is a very good idea. Especially if you have rocket guys up. But if you have a Zep up you kill that fucker ASAP.
    Damnit. At some point I have a rocket-boat, patriots on deck and a zeppelin to choose between. I don't know how to do this. The first zeppelin gets patriots on deck before I'm even able to target. I destroy the zeppelin and the patriots run wild. If the cooldown ends the patriots are still there but a rocket-boat has also arrived. Once I choose one of those another zeppelin arrives.

• Options
    I feel that since there are so many of you beating the game recently I will repost the Youtube Koopah posted earlier in the thread. It is not perfect but it gets most of the story correct.

Ending Spoilers!

• Options

Damnit. At some point I have a rocket-boat, patriots on deck and a zeppelin to choose between. I don't know how to do this. The first zeppelin gets patriots on deck before I'm even able to target. I destroy the zeppelin and the patriots run wild. If the cooldown ends the patriots are still there but a rocket-boat has also arrived. Once I choose one of those another zeppelin arrives.
    The big problem with not taking down a Zep with Patriots up is that if you kill the patriots you will most likely NOT be able to kill the Zep before it sends more.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The key to the final combat is to ...
    ... utilize the Songbird not just for the flying vehicles, but also the motorized patriots.

More about the ending:
    I do feel the ending was inspired by the game designers getting annoyed with the "making choices" approach to video games. It makes it hard to tell a story.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Also, end game spoilers. (no really, I'm hitting a few big ones here)
    It's probably been said a few times now, but that post-credits scene.

Like a fucking punch in the gut.

Also, now we can have all of the Bioshock 1/2/Infinite folks in the same place at the same time and it's totally reasonable to do in-setting. I love it. Obviously I wouldn't expect anything other than cameos, but the idea makes me giggle.

And in Rapture, there's an easily spotted Big Daddy and Little Sister. I thought it was a nice touch, having a girl and her protector on hand.

It proved to be even more fitting than I gave credit for.

*sniffle*

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    More final fight talk:
    Okay I did better this time. So basically it's useless to destroy the carrier boats after the enemy has jumped off. I also used the possession a bit more to decent effect. Still failed though. I'm using the bird to clear people on the deck but it's still not enough. I really don't want to lower the difficulty now ;(

• Options
    Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

The final piano note with the screen turning black was her disappearance
    They killed Booker before he made his choice and ended all the possibilities that came from that choice. All the Elizabeths/Annas faded out of existence because they could never be now, including yours. I assume the Booker you play at the end of the credits is one that was never in that river to begin with but somehow remembered pieces of it.

• Options
    More final fight talk:
    Okay I did better this time. So basically it's useless to destroy the carrier boats after the enemy has jumped off. I also used the possession a bit more to decent effect. Still failed though. I'm using the bird to clear people on the deck but it's still not enough. I really don't want to lower the difficulty now ;(

I found:
    Chaining shock very useful for the end fight. Patriots are stunned by it and it will chain to any other patriot or meat bag nearby. Granted there are probably better ways to do it as I beat it with less than a 1/3rd life on the airship but those stuns helped out tons. I only used Songbird on the gun boats and the zeps.

• Options
    More final fight talk:

I found:
    Chaining shock very useful for the end fight. Patriots are stunned by it and it will chain to any other patriot or meat bag nearby. Granted there are probably better ways to do it as I beat it with less than a 1/3rd life on the airship but those stuns helped out tons. I only used Songbird on the gun boats and the zeps.

OH SHIT I FORGOT ABOUT THAT

• Options
    I feel that since there are so many of you beating the game recently I will repost the Youtube Koopah posted earlier in the thread. It is not perfect but it gets most of the story correct.

Ending Spoilers!

That was very helpful!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    still not enough

if I can't finish this damn game I'm gonna be mad >: (

• Options
    still not enough

Bump it to easy. There's no shame in that.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah good looking out re: that video. Wraps things up nicely.

Also!
    I would totally pay money for DLC where Books, Elizabeth, and Songbird all fly to Paris, sightsee, and listen to awesome 80s music that hasn't been written yet. No combat, no bleak awfulness, just good times and dancing.

Throw in a musical number as they soar around Europe on Songbird and I'll buy it twice.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Elizabeth asks Booker specifically
    if he has a wife, in a very "I'm interested in you" sort of way. Then Booker replies that he had one, but that she died in child birth. She asks about the child, and he responds that he doesn't have a child. This shuts down that concept pretty much completely. It's also a terrific little bit of foreshadowing.
    Dude, I do hope you know that you can ask people whether or not they're married without implying that you're interested in dating them. I mean, it's just small talk. The game made it pretty clear that Booker and Elizabeth doesn't have much of a thing going on with one of other besides being comrades of war.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    still not enough

I'll do it if there's no achievement for beating it on Hard.

IF THERE IS I'LL REPLAY THIS FIGHT FOREVER

• Options
    This man is serious about his cheevos! Respect.

• Options
    That's like the only achievement I really care about. Like there's no way I'm gonna get the 1999 Mode achievement.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    still not enough

I'll do it if there's no achievement for beating it on Hard.

IF THERE IS I'LL REPLAY THIS FIGHT FOREVER

I guess the only advice left to give would be:
    Never be idle. There are weapon caches up top (sniper rifle) and down below (can't remember). You can drop one of the two guns you have when you are up top to fire a few sniper shots off while waiting for CDs or to clear up some meat bags with the sniper rifle. Then grab your shotty or carbine or whatever back up and get back down there to kill the patriots. Good luck man!

• Options
    Yeah I think I broke my steam achievements by turning off the overlay (pop ups hurt my precious immersion yo).

Oh well, guess I'll have to replay it. Darn.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    There really isn't any particular answer to this, but And yes, big spoilers for the end of the game, don't click, etc.

you should preface the spoiler with ENDING SPOILERS instead of after, just to be safe, but:
    it's left intentionally vague, like the post-credits scene

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ending spoilers
    after you go through the tears to bring Chin Ling(?) back, I felt really disconected from my actions. Because it was not my world. When I saw the ending I was confused. But thats all. Not sad. Just, what. Wouldnt they have to kill every version of Booker to prevent that from happening? I dont know, ending did just not do it for me.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

Ending Spoilers!

I note that video skips two parts:
    A) When the Luteces grew a conscience, Comstock tried to have them killed and they became interdimensional beings

B) When they dragged Booker from his dimension into Comstock's he suddenly remembered both his actions and Comstock's, so his brain created new memories where none existed before, which is why he had no memory of his daughter or who actually made the "deal" with him.

• Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    More final fight talk:

I found:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had problems with the last battle. Every other time in the game I was able to dig myself in pretty well or be mobile enough to control the fight, but that last one really put me on the backfoot and I didn't like it (but I'm sure the next time I do it will love it).

• Options
    MrDelish wrote: »
    There really isn't any particular answer to this, but And yes, big spoilers for the end of the game, don't click, etc.

you should preface the spoiler with ENDING SPOILERS instead of after, just to be safe, but:
    it's left intentionally vague, like the post-credits scene

That scene
    ends happily goddamn it! It has too! And I'll engage in fisticuffs with thems that don't agree.

This game got me right in the feels.

• Options
    SciJoSciJo Registered User regular
    AFTER CREDITS SCENE? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? After YEARS of a whole lotta NOTHING at the end of 20 minute credits they tack something onto the end of this game! DAMN IT!

..not sure if that really waranteed the spoilers or not.

This discussion has been closed.