Options

Premature E[chat]ulation is a problem...

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    From Kansas.
    House Bill No. 2366 would ban all state and municipal funds for anything related to “sustainable development,” which it defines as: “development in which resource use aims to meet human needs while preserving the environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for generations to come."

A bill to outlaw sustainability. A bold move.

I wish I had the power to create alternate universes. Because I want to see the charred ruin they'd turn the world into if this kind of people got a presidency.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Morning [chat]. Had quite possibly one of the worst sleeps in recent memory and my week has been...shitty. On a small positive note, bought a ps3 for $100 last night and my wife has an unplanned day off due to a fire at her work.

did you fall asleep at 11 after sitting in bed for an hour and a half, wake up at 2:30 for no good reason thinking it was time to wake up and then sleep until your alarm went off a 5:15?

Nope, went to bed around 12 feeling tired but for some reason couldn't fall asleep until almost 2. Had a night of tossing and turning and then was woken up about 30 minutes before my alarm by the dog. So if I had to hazard a guess I'm running on roughly 3 1/2 to 4 hours of sleep. Yeah...going to be one of those days where I drink a lot more caffeine then normal.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    their first game? Yeah fuck that, I'm worried

lets hope we don't have another Obsidian getting KOTOR2 on our hands

dude, why do you assume the worst?

First game means they never messed up in the past. You have literally no reason to be worried unless you hate the Quebecois.

Do you hate me, Tav?

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sometimes I wonder if any of you guys even knows an actuary. . .

Someone once told me this was the field I should go into to make dollars and not be a poor bum.

then i picked philosophy and regret my life eveeeerydaaay.

Highest job satisfaction of any career in America.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Echo wrote: »
    I wish I had the power to create alternate universes. Because I want to see the charred ruin they'd turn the world into if this kind of people got a presidency.

It's just such an intriguing proposition. Trying to save the environment and meet our energy needs in a sustainable way, huh?

Not in my state, pal.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yes, getting incredible characterization and genre leading storytelling would suck.

• Options

First game means they never messed up in the past. You have literally no reason to be worried unless you hate the Quebecois.

Do you hate me, Tav?

I think he's going more on the basis that they haven't been around long enough to screw things up. It's never looks good from that standpoint.

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

Yes, getting incredible characterization and genre leading storytelling would suck.

Getting broken gameplay would suck.

• Options

Pretty sure he's leaning more towards the part where they left entire chunks out of the game as well as the number of bugs it had.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Do you hate me, Tav?

I think he's going more on the basis that they haven't been around long enough to screw things up. It's never looks good from that standpoint.

Man, i'm sure it's because he has an irrational hatred for the Quebecois people...

TAV, STOP IRRATIONALLY HATING ME!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Someone once told me this was the field I should go into to make dollars and not be a poor bum.

No kidding?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

It's just such an intriguing proposition. Trying to save the environment and meet our energy needs in a sustainable way, huh?

Not in my state, pal.
    But it's so obvious:

Q: Who say "sustainable" a lot?
    A: Liberals! Democrats!

Q: Who is the eternal enemy?
    A: Liberals! Democrats!

Q: What does that make "sustainable"?
    A: The enemy!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    From Kansas.
    House Bill No. 2366 would ban all state and municipal funds for anything related to “sustainable development,” which it defines as: “development in which resource use aims to meet human needs while preserving the environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for generations to come."

A bill to outlaw sustainability. A bold move.

I can't muster any response to this beyond laughter. Just, really? Forget all of the global warming stuff, you don't want to make shit more efficient?

• Options

Do you hate me, Tav?

How many companies hit one out of the park on their first try, especially with an already established IP?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    angry birds starwars is actually pretty fun!

#2000-and-late

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular

Getting broken gameplay would suck.

I suspect that this had more to do with LucasArts than Obsidian.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I can't muster any response to this beyond laughter. Just, really? Forget all of the global warming stuff, you don't want to make shit more efficient?

Yeah. It's just... what

I'm imagining a politician curled up into a ball, eyes tightly shut, fingers in ears going "LALALALA NO TECHNOLOGICAL PROGRESS"

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular

In the 7th grade, for no reason whatsoever, my gifted teacher pulled me aside one day. She says to me, "You know Ali, your people are the real Aryans."

And now I have proof.

• Options

Do you hate me, Tav?

How many companies hit one out of the park on their first try, especially with an already established IP?

I have buddies at DICE. They've told plenty of stories about the tax breaks game companies get to set up shop in Canada, and how they have to hire 50% Canadian employees.

So they end up with a whole bunch of Canadian employees doing sweet fuckall, and make more money out of that due to the tax breaks.

• Options

No kidding?

*Highest "job" satisfaction.

• Options

Do you hate me, Tav?

I have buddies at DICE. They've told plenty of stories about the tax breaks game companies get to set up shop in Canada, and how they have to hire 50% Canadian employees.

So they end up with a whole bunch of Canadian employees doing sweet fuckall, and make more money out of that due to the tax breaks.

The government up here has so many tax breaks for business it's kind of silly. I'm almost expecting to hear about a tax break for a tax break someday.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Do you hate me, Tav?

Man, i'm sure it's because he has an irrational hatred for the Quebecois people...

TAV, STOP IRRATIONALLY HATING ME!

Well depending on who's been hired at the studio and how much input/support rocksteady give to them (they're also owned by WB) then it ought to be just fine.

That said, they've only announced Arkham Origins for PC and current gen consoles - and I know that rocksteady are up to *something* for the next gen.
    Wonder what's going on there...

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    I mean, I wouldn't mind getting a programmer's pay and then have nothing to do, but I'd also know that I'd slowly go insane not having anything to actually do.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Ur bannd

poo
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    kansas should just go ahead and take this where it's meant to go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwxl_-DHqKo

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I mean, I wouldn't mind getting a programmer's pay and then have nothing to do, but I'd also know that I'd slowly go insane not having anything to actually do.
    Judging by Trenches you're going insane anyway.

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    Word, why do you have to get all buggy and frustrating after like 15 pages

• Options
    Ur bannd

NO U!

• Options

I have nothing to do other than menial data entry. It's driving me crazy.

My job is the reason I spend so much time on the forums.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Ur bannd

NO U!

Too late I said it first

poo
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Let me put it this way.

I can confirm you would.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Reading back, I did make it sound like I was saying that all Japanese people are dicks. :( This is what I get for not using a lot of words, because I didn't [1] really care much about the subject in the first place and [2] meant that I noticed on separate occasions that Japanese tourists were less sensitive to the people around them than the standards I'd like to hold people up to and wondered if this was a common thing or just a case of dicks being dicks.

japan has the two-fer of both a relative lack of national consciousness of the Western perspective on WW2 atrocities, plus a culture of obsessive photography archival in a way that is considered déclassé elsewhere in the West

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    after being to japan, they can stand anywhere in the west for all i care

place is busy as fuck and there's so many westerners just standing around looking stupid that they should definitely come over here for revenge

• Options
    "Declasse?"

ronya you are the epitome of bourgie. You Embody the Platonic Form of Bourgie.

• Options
    Ur bannd

NO U!

Too late I said it first

http://i.imgur.com/S9yUu.gif

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    @visiblehowl

Since you weren't very interested in Sweden I'm can't tell you all that much people haven't already said but I have some small recommendations.

Berlin is a city I hear a lot of good about, surprisingly cheap for a major european capital which has resulted in it having a relatively young and diverse population. Obviously a lot history as well. I have only been there during the World Cup so I'm not sure my personal experience is much to go by, but as I said I have heard lots of great things from others.

In Italy I recommend renting a car and doing a little round trip in Tuscany; Sienna, Volterra, Florence etc. Beautiful cities, landscape and lots of good food.

If you do decide to go to Sweden for a couple of days (which I obviously think you should) you best bet is probably to just come to Stockholm. It is a great city I think (in summer :p) that you can probably get a feel for in just a few days. The city is built on a number of islands so it is pretty easy to figure out where most things are.

The classic tourist spots are to stroll through Old Town or watch the sun go down from Fjällgatan. Museum vise we got quite a few; Fotografiska is good if you want something a bit more modern, the Vasa museum is good if you like looking at molding old ships (it's actually pretty cool) but the rest is probably similar to what any other old european city has.

Taking a drink at Berns is highly recommended too, I don't think they have any entry fee before 10PM. The drinks are expensive as all hell but they pack a punch (and are made by professionalism) and the atmosphere and style is as good as it gets.

Taking a boat trip out to the archipelago is also a good touristy thing to do. Sitting on a boat and watching the little islands float past, maybe stepping off at some island with a cafe and taking a walk, is a nice way to spend a day.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    KOTOR 2's issues are all on Bioware (gave them a shitty engine) and Lucas Arts (rushed the release schedule and demanded major last minute changes because the ending was going to be too awesome for a Star Wars game).

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    "Declasse?"

ronya you are the epitome of bourgie. You Embody the Platonic Form of Bourgie.

east of the Bay of Bengal there is no notion of "bourgie" that is so exhibited by using words like "déclassé" :rotate:

the entire social class of british-favoured middle-class civil-service types went on to claim the whole ethnic or ethnic-national identity

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i am le tiiiiiired

• Options
    Do you know that I don't actually know what your background is, @ronya.

And actually, it now occurs to me that 99% of the rest of the forum doesn't talk about theirs as much as I do mine. (Though I'm sure a lot of that has to do with presumably a good part of the forum consisting of WASPs.)

This discussion has been closed.