Options

Really Makes Ya [Chat], Don't it?

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    I guess in Sleeping Dogs / Farcry 3 the enemies are an obstacle to your goal.

In hotline / bayonetta they are the means for you to acheive your goal.

For me at least one is boring the other makes for good gameplay.

which one is boring and which one is good gameplay?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Who the heck shows up at an orgy not ready to have an orgy. That's not a decision you make after you're at an orgy.

Are you quoting Thomas Lennon on Party Down or an SVU villian-of-the-week?

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    far cry 3 actually makes me angry with how bad the writing is

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    when people say the melee combat in sleeping dogs is just counters i stare at them because no it definitely is not and maybe you should stop relying on counters so much
    Why? They are the most effective and safe.

Punch punch punch oh no someone is attacking me. Counter.
    Repeat.

See Bayonetta could be described as this but it has a scoring system assoc. And enemies who react to you using the same moves. So it becomes something more.

Similar idea with hotline, you get a terrible score for lack of variety.

Bayonetta's counter was really wasn't a counter as much as a dodge. Added with the witch time mechanic made it more of a method to continue your awesome and fun combos. When I think counter, I think of fighting games where you do a scripted reaction move that usually ends in a knockdown. What are counters like in Sleeping Dogs?

Also, when I heard people raving about combat in sleeping dogs. Nobody talked about counters. People talked about bashing peoples heads repeatedly into phone booths and railings and shit.
    Press button when enemy flashes. Enemy gets hurt.

The phone booths etc are all pretty much scripted qtes. No one bothers you while you do them.

Also there is no intrinsic reward for killing an enemy stylishly/ cleverly. Enemies just exist to get in your way.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    vanguard i have to say Chanus did a stand up job on your av

i am tempted to comission his fine work in my on going tribute to scheck

What are we looking for here? You just want pink hair or you have something more involved in mind?
    Bear in mind hair is really easy to do and I'm not actually very artistically talented. :P

Step right up, sir. Step right up.

@Casual

i would like the vanguard job

ears poking through the hair, doggles still as visible as possible

i think your ability to get it in proportion far outstrips mine!

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    far cry 3 was an unscripted action movie

it was awesome

the writing was fucking garbage

i'm sorry, it was

that game did not know what it wanted to be about

is it a game about insanity? is it about how gamers are desensitized to violence in games and we immediately accept that violence in the context of a game? is it about false "white savior" complexes? who knows? far cry 3 doesn't know.

I know I've sniped the driver out of a jeep speeding towards me and watched it careen off a bridge taking two passengers with it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I've never been to an orgy.

It sounds exhausting.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I don't understand how you can reduce grinding somebody's face into an A/C fan and then lifting the next guy up and bodyslamming him onto a collection of swordfish mouths all the way down to "beating up some dudes"

That shit is amazing!

Because that turns combat into not much more than a grab+QTE.

it's also not the entirety of combat, there's enemies that it straight up does not work on, and once you use an environmental kill it can't be used again in that fight

and enemies can break out of it on the way to the kill

and there's only a limited number in any given scene and guess what

you still got more dudes once that's done

Combat in Sleeping Dogs is basically an 80's ninja assassin movie.

THAT IS NOT A CRITICISM

It's supposed to be John Woo Movie: The Game!

I'm surprised a flock of doves doesn't explode around you during every fight.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    "Hey bad guys, make sure not to attack me while my back is turned and I'm slamming one of your friends into a breaker box."

If you drag a guy too far towards an environmental kill, they will attack you.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    I never noticed how he was making the same expression as the dog tattoo on his arm...

Is this like... real life avfacing?

I wonder if he has any idea how many times the picture attached to that obscure terrible guest blog entry has been linked on this forum.
    Maybe his totally not made up High School Girlfriend knows.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    THAT IS NOT A CRITICISM

It's supposed to be John Woo Movie: The Game!

I'm surprised a flock of doves doesn't explode around you during every fight.

If it's supposed to be a John Woo Movie: The Game it would've had guns sprouting from the ground for you to pick up and fire forever without reloading.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote: »

I thought it was pretty clear from my previous posts, but I find the former boring and the latter interesting.

You'd never ignore/move past an enemy in Bayonetta/Hotline Miami.

I've run past so many people in Farcry3/Sleeping dogs because there is no point in killing them.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Also there is no intrinsic reward for killing an enemy stylishly/ cleverly.

other than getting more experience points than you would for just punching them to death you mean?

also far cry 3 is an open world fps i don't know how you're supposed to do things cleverly other than like headshot/stealth/environmental/melee (which you also get varying amounts of xp for)

that is, in fact, a thing

saying there's no intrinsic reward is objectively false

it was awesome

i'm sorry, it was

is it a game about insanity? is it about how gamers are desensitized to violence in games and we immediately accept that violence in the context of a game? is it about false "white savior" complexes? who knows? far cry 3 doesn't know.

I know I've sniped the driver out of a jeep speeding towards me and watched it careen off a bridge taking two passengers with it.

that has nothing to do with what i said though

Buttlord on
  • Options

it was awesome

i'm sorry, it was

I agree with everything in this quote tree.

• Options
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    "let's go to tgi fridays and shit on their terrible ice-cream-and-a-little-liquor drinks"

i mean

everyone knows that those things are not good. they're for 19 year olds who don't like alcohol

it's like doing a dogfood taste test and then shitting on how one-note the dogfood is

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

I thought it was pretty clear from my previous posts, but I find the former boring and the latter interesting.

I've run past so many people in Farcry3/Sleeping dogs because there is no point in killing them.

ah. i guess i kind of like the opposite. don't really like brawlers and hated bayonetta.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    why would anyone want to ingest jimson weed

even william burroughs said that shit is not a good time

the dude who shot his wife in the head by accident while drunk

the same guy who wrote this
    Squatting on old bones and excrement and rusty iron, in a white blaze of heat, a panorama of naked idiots stretches to the horizon. Complete silence - their speech centres are destroyed - except for the crackle of sparks and the popping of singed flesh as they apply electrodes up and down the spine. White smoke of burning flesh hangs in the motionless air. A group of children have tied an idiot to a post with barbed wire and built a fire between his legs and stand watching with bestial curiosity as the flames lick his thighs. His flesh jerks in the fire with insect agony.

said it was a bad time

trust him

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Because the point of both games is to kill every enemy, that's not a convincing argument at all.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

What are we looking for here? You just want pink hair or you have something more involved in mind?
    Bear in mind hair is really easy to do and I'm not actually very artistically talented. :P

@Casual

Just so?

casualav.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    remind me not to not exercise for half a year again

because when you start again it hurts and you feel like a geriatric baby

poo
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I need a list of games where taking an action doesn't lock you into some animation that stuns/keeps you in place/has ridiculous or unexplainable invincible frames

like in dark souls when you parry or backstab someone the animation is pretty awesome but it's slow and canned and you and your targets are invincible to anything else going on, and you recover before your target does but they're invincible until a specific point that they're getting up (which is a long time after you could land a really slow attack on them!) and ugggh

• Options

Im going to the gym for lunch. I hope I dont poo myself

• Options
    Also there is no intrinsic reward for killing an enemy stylishly/ cleverly.

other than getting more experience points than you would for just punching them to death you mean?

also far cry 3 is an open world fps i don't know how you're supposed to do things cleverly other than like headshot/stealth/environmental/melee (which you also get varying amounts of xp for)

that is, in fact, a thing

saying there's no intrinsic reward is objectively false.

But you are not judged on your experience points. There are no rankings for experience points. You can't go hey man I'm level 50 look how good I am at the game. It could just mean you played for a long time. If you have A ranking in Hotline or S in Bayonetta it represents an amount of progress of your skill at the core gameplay.

Bulletstorm tried something with making FPS combat more interesting. I won't say it worked completely but it was a really refreshing change.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

did the book ever make it from synd to you

poo
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

did the book ever make it from synd to you

Yes. Thanks again!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am failing and flailing

Need to get back in the game

The game being my final important placement

Eh

Tomorrow.

:I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I guess he really did stop loving her today.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Waitwait... so unless a game grades you people on your combat skills you just take whatever is the most simple and safe route even if you claim it's not fun?

So the game has to demand that you have fun before you will do it?

Wha... I just... *brain asplode*

• Options

Because the point of both games is to kill every enemy, that's not a convincing argument at all.
    Not really.

The point of both games is to get the highest score. A representation of your skill at the game.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Who the heck shows up at an orgy not ready to have an orgy. That's not a decision you make after you're at an orgy.

Okay well, there seems to be a fair bit of dissemination of information, so let me seminate you:

The hypothetical 'Mal' in this question thought he was totally ready for an orgy, and braced himself, but just like someone who is so sure they can jump off the high dive, once he looked down at the sweaty, glistening pool, he got nervous. But he couldn't climb back down the ladder, because the ladder was so totally blocked by about fifteen-twenty people just going at it.

I may have mixed my metaphors a little there, but just to clarify, the pool was an orgy, the ladder was the door, and the fifteen-twenty people going at it were fifteen-twenty people all having sex on the floor.

It was a total fire hazard, too.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular

Eh

Tomorrow.

:(

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    TL DR wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    @desc

yo god, how are you feeling today?

@TL dr

Burnothy my little teaspoon!

A little sluggish. Day 3 of valerian root extract before bed. Dreams are definitely affected but not in a crazy vivid color way like with a mugwort pillow. It's more like there's a low grade earthy depression -- like the dream is taking a lowered dusty walkway that's just adjacent to a more usual sidewalk.

Long long dream starting with a vague person who was kind of a conglomeration of [chat]ters who had made a sci fi RPG with black and white line art. This multiperson gave me the sheets and a bunch of water colors and brushes and told me to paint it with expressive colors.

So I was making practice sheets with the paint behaving strangely because of dream physics and then the dream suddenly transitioned into a really, really long thing where people were running down the street 28 days later meth zombie style and I was breaking in and out of houses and avoiding dogs and it was stressful.

And now I'm drinking an iced mocha.

How r u

@desc
    it is good to be alive

that is a pretty weird dream! why are you taking the valerian root; insomnia?

i'm way busy but good things are happening on the #savetheworld front. Met a dude last Saturday with some land who is interested in a massive Shiitake project and mycoremediation efforts, and he's introducing me to a dude this Saturday who knows Paul Stamets and is having a hands-on workshop

1. SAVE THE ERF YAY ^_^

2. Valerian: mostly I was looking to make a mugwort dream pillow again and saw random articles from crybabies about valerian root causing "weird dreams" and then I happened to see a little bottle of extract while burning money at Whole Foods so I snatched it to see what all the hub bub was about. The answer is it's very mild and everyone is a wuss.

@desc
    :D
    do you work with lucid dreams or dream interpretation? I had pretty vivid dreams when I was taking piracetam, but generally I don't remember my dreams much.

I read that Laberge / Rheingold book when I was like 14 and frequently had lucid dreams up until I started dating that stoner chick in my 20s. Being perma for a decade reduced all dreaming to a bleached pulp and my recall went away because what was their to remember.

Now I am back on track and recall is way up and lucidity comes and goes. That part is just practice and awareness with signs tipping you off to the dream state.

Anyway yeah dreams are my big thing.

THE DESC TOP LIST:

1. Dreams, dream research, dreams and psychology, neuro stuff and dreams (ex. Comparing flight techniques in dreams with people)

2. The sweetbitter feeling of loss when looking at damaged art or hearing about lost art (ex. The Nike of Samothrace)

3. Spontaneous and fleeting social networks that arise out of sharing (ex. Fixing sound problems and then hugging at outdoor parties)

Edit:

4. Fuck the police

desc on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Good morning chat.

GiaMX4o.jpg

• Options
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Waitwait... so unless a game grades you people on your combat skills you just take whatever is the most simple and safe route even if you claim it's not fun?

So the game has to demand that you have fun before you will do it?

Wha... I just... *brain asplode*
    I never said it wasn't fun. I didn't enjoy it as much and I think it has far shallower gameplay.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

@Casual

Just so?

casualav.jpg

i shall be adopting this when i get home!

• Options
    "let's go to tgi fridays and shit on their terrible ice-cream-and-a-little-liquor drinks"

i mean

everyone knows that those things are not good. they're for 19 year olds who don't like alcohol

it's like doing a dogfood taste test and then shitting on how one-note the dogfood is

Reading my comments on that article three years later...
    I've changed, man.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Eh

Tomorrow.

:(

I was supposed to be there Mon Tues Wed this week, but I called in sick on Tuesday, and I'm not really allowed to "make up" the time so. Next week. But then my mentor ain't in til Weds. So it feels like I've totally stalled the fuck out and quit because I'm off for a week when I've really only missed 2 days.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Chanus

when work cleans my computer i wonder what they're going to make of the numerous avatars with pink hair on my hard drive

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Omg

:bz

This discussion has been closed.