As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THQ is dead! Vigil layoffs!

18910111214»

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    An X-Wing / Freespace game set in the Homeworld universe would be more welcome than trying to shoehorn a shooter in there. That said, an RTS would still be vastly more desirable. And while I normally prefer space combat simulators to RTS games (seriously, I usually hate RTS games), Homeworld holds an immensely special place in my heart. Even 14 years later, HW1 is still easily one of my top 10 favorite games.

In a perfect world, we'd get both. Sadly, this world ain't.
    Well we're basically getting the space sim so yeah.

This looks cool but...some of that stuff is just blatantly Homeworld crafts. I'm not sure they're gonna get away with that with Homeworld back in the limelight for a minute; and a space sim is actually something I could see feasably happening from Gearbox.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Athenor wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    They don't even have to make it in-house if they don't want to. License it to someone else if they're so inclined. Get the Sins of the Solar empire guys to take a crack at it, I dunno, fuck. Just because they're the IP owner doesn't mean all you're going to get is a cell-shaded Homeworld FPS.

NO! Oh good Gods no, do NOT let Gearbox farm out another game to another studio. Jeezus, why would you wish that on the franchise?

(Plus Stardock was beaten out by Gearbox, there's no way they'd farm it out to someone who they beat out the bid for, unless the contract fucked over Stardock.)

Alls I'm saying is that there's more mobility, as the sole IP holder, to do whatever it is they want with it, rather than, "You have now been granted X by Y, and now you have to do Z." Whatever it is, however, I don't know or care to say, but it doesn't have to necessarily be another shooter like people assume. (Though it just may be, or they may do nothing at all, who knows.) I'm sure no one cares to repeat the clusterfuck of Aliens again.

Practically, it's a niche-ass series of games in an already rather niche genre. It's not like there's a whole lot of pedigree in the bustling "fully 3D real time space strategy game." So besides re-releases of HW1, 2, and Cataclysm, which are gimmes, I don't know what the hell is going to happen with the thing.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    stopgap wrote: »
    This is the gearbox forum dedicated too homeworld stuff at present Homeworld linky . I am truly concerned.

Nord on THQ's IPs: http://forum.nordicgames.at/forumdisplay.php?909-Discussion-about-THQ-IPs

The link was posted in the industry thread. One of Vigil's co-founders, Ryan Stefanelli, dropped early on the Darksiders discussion.
    As one of the co-founders of Vigil and the lead level designer/principal designer on both games, all I can say is... make it adventurous.

And do what we would've done: let people know what happens when those other three comets land on Earth! Four player co-op or bust!

Good luck to you guys. You've adopted our baby.

Ryan Stefanelli (now @Crytek)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Borderlands (1), and still do, and got BL2 on that basis... and I like some of that game too... but the more I look at it, the more I wonder if the original was just one of those lucky accidents - a fluke, an exception, not actually representative of the studio. (Consider what the original tone and art direction for BL1 were going to be.)

Opposing Force is probably one of the most widely praised expansions of it's time, and the Brothers in Arms series was fairly successful. Gearbox knows how to make good games, which is why it's kind of offensive when they unload a terrible game onto the populace: they know they can do better.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Could, past tense. Jury's still out on if they can do better.
    They can and have done better. The Borderlands series is a current example.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I, too, am unhappy about Gearbox's acquisition of the Homeworld IP.

I don't give a shit about Homeworld, but every new IP Gearbox acquires/creates pushes Gunman Chronicles 2 tht much farther away.

Maybe they could do a Homeworld/Gunman hybrid game? Like, your fleet finds a planet full of dinosaurs and then the rest of the game is an FPS where you are fighting dinosaurs? That would be awesome.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Why would Gearbox have the rights to Gunman Chronicles? The game was made by Rewolf Software and published by Sierra... the rights are probably buried deep within Activision at this point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I, too, am unhappy about Gearbox's acquisition of the Homeworld IP.

I don't give a shit about Homeworld, but every new IP Gearbox acquires/creates pushes Gunman Chronicles 2 tht much farther away.

Maybe they could do a Homeworld/Gunman hybrid game? Like, your fleet finds a planet full of dinosaurs and then the rest of the game is an FPS where you are fighting dinosaurs? That would be awesome.

Tom, that is the worst idea I have ever heard

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Why would Gearbox have the rights to Gunman Chronicles? The game was made by Rewolf Software and published by Sierra... the rights are probably buried deep within Activision at this point.

I thought it was made by Gearbox.

Oh well. I stand by my idea! They could call it Gunwoman Chronicles instead.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I have not seen where deBlob ended up.

I'm going to assume Nordic, but man i loved that series and hope wherever it is they hire the guys who did the music to use that whole different colors = different instruments remixing the level music mechanic in ANY game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    To guys complaining about Nordric games and gearbox. Look at it this way. Your franchise could have been lost in a tangle of crap for 10+ years. Look at the System shock example. One of the greatest and important games of all time is only just now in a position that they can resell its old games...no word yet on if this means sequels are possible. I loved darksiders and I hope they do something good with it but at least it wasnt lost completely. theirs always a chance of revival this way.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I can see some potentially interesting things coming out of Nordic picking up Darksiders and Titan Quest. The games they've published haven't been bad, just... a bit quirky, if that's the right word.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    They don't even have to make it in-house if they don't want to. License it to someone else if they're so inclined. Get the Sins of the Solar empire guys to take a crack at it, I dunno, fuck. Just because they're the IP owner doesn't mean all you're going to get is a cell-shaded Homeworld FPS.

NO! Oh good Gods no, do NOT let Gearbox farm out another game to another studio. Jeezus, why would you wish that on the franchise?

(Plus Stardock was beaten out by Gearbox, there's no way they'd farm it out to someone who they beat out the bid for, unless the contract fucked over Stardock.)

Sins of a Solar Empire was made by Ironclad Games, and published by Stardock; it wasn't made by Stardock.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Jowood actually was a pretty big publisher over here in europe untill they went downhill and were absorbed into Nordic. There are also a lot of "not so nice things" you can say about them, especially in regard to how they treated the developers.

That's the past though, and so far Nordic's problem is not on the publisher side, but rather that their developers are pretty..... weak at the moment. And as such I really hope they can get some capable developers on these titles.

C2B on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    To guys complaining about Nordric games and gearbox. Look at it this way. Your franchise could have been lost in a tangle of crap for 10+ years. Look at the System shock example. One of the greatest and important games of all time is only just now in a position that they can resell its old games...no word yet on if this means sequels are possible. I loved darksiders and I hope they do something good with it but at least it wasnt lost completely. theirs always a chance of revival this way.

While Darksiders is a new property, Homeworld is no stranger to extended "tangles of crap". Relic was sold to THQ after they released HW2, while the Homeworld IP sat rotting in Vivendi's hands for 4 years. When THQ finally scrapped up enough cash to buy the rights, their incompetence let it again languish unused, and unavailable for another 6 years. While it hasn't been quite as long as SS2 (though HW1 did come out the same year as SS2), HW is only seeing the light of day again because it went for a bargain basement price. It's being sold to a developer with exactly zero experience in RTS games, and with a checkered track record that lacks any games with the kind of storytelling the Homeworld games were known for.

I'm happy we're finally getting digital rereleases of these games, but Homeworld is far from sitting pretty as a franchise with any sort of future.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    This is the gearbox forum dedicated too homeworld stuff at present Homeworld linky . I am truly concerned.

Nord on THQ's IPs: http://forum.nordicgames.at/forumdisplay.php?909-Discussion-about-THQ-IPs

The link was posted in the industry thread. One of Vigil's co-founders, Ryan Stefanelli, dropped early on the Darksiders discussion.
    As one of the co-founders of Vigil and the lead level designer/principal designer on both games, all I can say is... make it adventurous.

And do what we would've done: let people know what happens when those other three comets land on Earth! Four player co-op or bust!

Am I the only one that thinks four-player co-op could go very badly for Darksiders?

Like, I guess it could turn out okay, but that's not the side of the table I'd put my chips on.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    azith28 wrote: »

I'm not that sad about Nordic, but that entire line of reasoning would only apply if nobody else was interested in getting these franchises. At least regarding Homeworld we KNOW that isn't the case. Gearbox just ended up on top.

C2B on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

Am I the only one that thinks four-player co-op could go very badly for Darksiders?

Like, I guess it could turn out okay, but that's not the side of the table I'd put my chips on.

Yes. You're the only one Lars. 4 player co-op sounds AMAZING...

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    So how would the single player work?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The problem with 4 player co-op would be that they didnt give the other 2 horseman there own game each. They would be making them more of an afterthought. While Darksiders 2 didnt give me much feeling of continuation/closure to the awesome ending of DS1, I think its important we get a game for each rider. not neccessarily more prequels, but continue the story from DS1 with the third rider as the protagonist and give him something to do, like find humanity's souls or something and continue the story from his point of view, then have the 4th game have the last rider maybe doing something along side the same time period...then a 5th game you can add 4 player co-op.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm actually torn about it. I'm not sure how they could keep the tight single player experience (well, 1 more than 2...) while still having a fun and meaningful 4 player experience.

I think they'd have to go the ME3 route and keep them independent of each other, but still somehow make the multiplayer portion compelling.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm actually torn about it. I'm not sure how they could keep the tight single player experience (well, 1 more than 2...) while still having a fun and meaningful 4 player experience.

I think they'd have to go the ME3 route and keep them independent of each other, but still somehow make the multiplayer portion compelling.

Honestly, Darksiders 2 - while the art style was epic, and the story was epic in the sense of the scale of events happening - was just one gigantic fucking fetch-quest. And it still managed to be a good game with flaws such as no collectible map.

I would be a happy man if the story was a bit worse to allow for four player coop.

Btw, dips on Strife.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Good ol' Patrice has once again taken his leave
    “The acquisition of THQ Montréal in January allowed Ubisoft to welcome 170 experienced developers, including Patrice Désilets, to our existing and renowned workforce," a Ubisoft representative said in a statement.

"Unfortunately, since the acquisition, the good faith discussions between Patrice and Ubisoft aimed at aligning Patrice’s and the studio’s visions have been inconclusive. As a result, Patrice has left the studio. Our priorities remain with the teams already hard at work on projects in development. They are at the root of Ubisoft Montréal’s past and future successes.”

According to gameinformer, sources suggested they cancelled both their previous games too.

C2B on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Not surprising.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Patrice commented
    "I'll survive."

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    But long enough to release a game before it being grabbed by Ubisoft?

• Options
    Patrice gonna go Assassin's Creed on Ubisofts Ass
    "Contrary to any statements made earlier today, this morning I was terminated by Ubisoft," Desilets told Polygon. "I was notified of this termination in person, handed a termination notice and was unceremoniously escorted out of the building by two guards without being able to say goodbye to my team or collect my personal belongings."

"This was not my decision."

"Ubisoft's actions are baseless and without merit. I intend to fight Ubisoft vigorously for my rights, for my team and for my game."

• Options
    So he leaves Ubisoft to form his own company, then his company is gobbled up by Ubisoft, who get the rights to everything he's been working on and his team, and then Ubisoft shows him the door.

Okay, nice to see EA's going to have to work for their Great Satan moniker this year.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Okay, nice to see EA's going to have to work for their Great Satan moniker this year.
    Somebody beat EA? Nah.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Ubisoft, because you gamers have had too good for too long. Now assume the position criminals.

• Options
    Somebody beat EA? Nah.

Bottom right corner.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Somebody beat EA? Nah.
    Bottom right corner.
    Missed the whole point, did you?

• Options
    Somebody beat EA? Nah.
    Bottom right corner.

Well one of us did. I thought DarkPrimus was serious based on the fact that, exaggerations aside, EA continues to sanction working conditions or practices that are unfair. Ubisoft grabbing Patrice's studio and then firing him unceremoniously isn't much better with their history.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Somebody beat EA? Nah.
    Bottom right corner.

It doesn't matter who said it or if someone made it up.

That is literally the truth. Fucking all the shenanigans going on in corporate America and EA wins worst company because a lot of people didn't like their games. Oh god, let's all fucking picket their building.

I can only imagine that all the cockbags fucking us over on Wall Street saw that article and just asphyxiated from laughing so hard.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Let's not talk about the Consumerist's Internet Poll because it is an Internet Poll.

There are a lot of things that big video game companies are doing that are shitty, and other than their DRM, Ubisoft hasn't been getting much flak. And maybe it deserves more than it's getting.