As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread for Excellent Comedies on TV! [NBC comedies, also for other network shows]

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    But here's a happy TV story:

Earlier tonight, my sister and I went to a taping of Key and Peele. It was a whole, whole lot of fun, and getting to see an episode months before it airs is pretty dang cool.

Wait, that show is coming back? Awesome. I don't keep up with these things, so I assumed Key and Peele was another Comedy Central show that didn't take off. Pleasant surprise.

It's one of their most successful shows in years, actually. Which is really cool, since it's actually quite good.

They're also bringing back Kroll Show (Which I find really structurally innovative and important, but only intermittently funny), Inside Amy Schumer, and Nathan For You (Which is kinda surprising, since it wasn't a huge hit, but that show's voice is so, so unique that I'm thrilled it's getting more time to find an audience). And they brought back Jeselnik Offensive so quick that it's already almost through its second season. Out of their newer crop of shows built around specific comedians, only The Ben Show got the axe.

I think they might be trying to fix their reputation as a network that gives shows one short, high-pressure season and then killing them before they even have a chance to catch on.

An unfortunate side effect of this is that I just saw a commercial for the second season of Brickleberry despite it maybe being the worst show ever

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Has Drunk History been renewed? I fucking love Drunk History. Casting Kristen Wiig as Patty Hearst was pretty great. And the Wilson brothers as the Kellogg brothers.

It's really meh to me as they paraphrase a lot of history and the finer points of the character they are attempting to portray

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Has Drunk History been renewed? I fucking love Drunk History. Casting Kristen Wiig as Patty Hearst was pretty great. And the Wilson brothers as the Kellogg brothers.

It's really meh to me as they paraphrase a lot of history and the finer points of the character they are attempting to portray

That is entirely the point.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

The narrators are drunk

EDIT: The explanation is built entirely wholesale into the title.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    You will never find a good reason for the concentrated hate towards her. It's totally unjustified. And the people who hate her are... umm, well I don't know why they hate her. To be honest, if I had to rank the Breaking Bad characters in terms of how much I like them, she would probably be somewhere near the bottom, but I don't know where the hate comes from. I don't know why people talk about her weight. I don't know why people talk about plastic surgery.

Up until the end of Season 2, I was more frustrated with the writers than the character herself. Almost every time we saw her or her sister they had this "oh my god, did you really just say that?!" expression on heir face and did nothing but contradict or act all suspicious, like an old-timey stereotypical wife who wants to keep her husband from playing golf. It happened so often that every time Walt started talking to her I'd think "okay, what's her problem going to be this time?"

It seemed like the writers weren't even really giving her the courtesy of making her a full character; they just wanted a nagging machine to make Walt more likeable as a "victim" or enhance his monologue during the intervention.

For me the Season 2 finale vindicated Skylar, because she finally develops into a whole character, and it retcons her behavior in the previous episodes
    instead of being this unreasonably offended wife doing petty shit, the whole time she was actively following up on Walt's bullshit and getting ready to call him on it. After all, what could you expect her to do while she was still pregnant and waiting for Walt's surgery?

p.s. I'm only part of the way through Season 3 at this point. So far it's done a much better job of making Skylar and Marie full characters.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    well he was just almost assassinated and also saw someone's head stuck onto a turtle and then his colleagues were blown up right next to him, and being a person who can't very easily express his emotions is lashing out, on top of his PTSD.
    Right, I get that! I'm not saying he's entirely unlikable! Like I said, just about every character is easy to sympathize with.

But that includes Marie, who just went from her husband not talking to her to her husband almost getting killed and still not talking to her, except to scream at her for buying the wrong brand of chips at the store.

Hank grows on you after you realize how uncomfortable he is with the act that he's putting on in front of his coworkers. It's just frustrating that he doesn't decide to step out of that entirely and be himself.

On his relationship with Marie
    When my brother fractured his skull in three places his entire mood was different for months. He was just a totally different person. He was in a lot of pain, had a lot of confusion, and was one of the meanest and most emotional people to be around. He was always really mean to my mother because she was his primary care giver. He also very clearly wasn't himself.

It's awful what Marie has to go through during that time, but I can still sympathize with Hank during the scenario. It's terrible for both of them. I thought it was a pretty accurate portrayal of someone going through that much damage to their body and having to pull themselves up from that.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    well he was just almost assassinated and also saw someone's head stuck onto a turtle and then his colleagues were blown up right next to him, and being a person who can't very easily express his emotions is lashing out, on top of his PTSD.
    Right, I get that! I'm not saying he's entirely unlikable! Like I said, just about every character is easy to sympathize with.

But that includes Marie, who just went from her husband not talking to her to her husband almost getting killed and still not talking to her, except to scream at her for buying the wrong brand of chips at the store.

Hank grows on you after you realize how uncomfortable he is with the act that he's putting on in front of his coworkers. It's just frustrating that he doesn't decide to step out of that entirely and be himself.

On his relationship with Marie
    When my brother fractured his skull in three places his entire mood was different for months. He was just a totally different person. He was in a lot of pain, had a lot of confusion, and was one of the meanest and most emotional people to be around. He was always really mean to my mother because she was his primary care giver. He also very clearly wasn't himself.

It's awful what Marie has to go through during that time, but I can still sympathize with Hank during the scenario. It's terrible for both of them. I thought it was a pretty accurate portrayal of someone going through that much damage to their body and having to pull themselves up from that.

In particular,
    Being dependent upon another person in order to use the bathroom seems like it would just be absolutely abysmal, and even though obviously it's awful for both people (Hank and Marie) I can completely understand Hank acting out the way he does. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I think I'd probably do something similar in his shoes.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

"My main problem with Snakes on a Plane is that a plane is a TERRIBLE place for snakes to be."

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    So hey, speaking of excellent comedies on TV, Clear History was pretty fun.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    So hey, speaking of excellent comedies on TV, Clear History was pretty fun.

Yeah

I mean it wasn't the most amazing thing ever and it was basically just a sillier version of curb your enthusiasm

But I laughed

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

"My main problem with Snakes on a Plane is that a plane is a TERRIBLE place for snakes to be."

I laugh every time someone says something like "We have to do this because of freedom, and you know, stuff." Mostly because the re-enactors sell it so well.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I really liked Drunk History back when it was just a weird little thing on the internet, and I've been a lot less impressed with the episodes of the TV show

Maybe it has been ruined for me from that time my friends got me blasted and made me tell them about the assassination of Franz Ferdinand

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    You will never find a good reason for the concentrated hate towards her. It's totally unjustified. And the people who hate her are... umm, well I don't know why they hate her. To be honest, if I had to rank the Breaking Bad characters in terms of how much I like them, she would probably be somewhere near the bottom, but I don't know where the hate comes from. I don't know why people talk about her weight. I don't know why people talk about plastic surgery.

Wait, people complain about her looks?

I mean

The fact that that's bullshit aside

She's really pretty

• Options
    She does gain weight in season 3 or 4. But it's totally irrelevant to the acting and the character. Yet it's brought up.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    She does gain weight in season 3 or 4. But it's totally irrelevant to the acting and the character. Yet it's brought up.

Wait. Are you telling me that women who have babies don't immediately drop back to their prenatal weight? Those paparazzi photos of supermodels lied to me!

Also, people are motherfuckers.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    literally everyone is the worst

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Whoever writes Dr Spaceman's lines did a fantastic job.

• Options
    literally everyone is the worst

Pretty much.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I really liked Drunk History back when it was just a weird little thing on the internet, and I've been a lot less impressed with the episodes of the TV show

Maybe it has been ruined for me from that time my friends got me blasted and made me tell them about the assassination of Franz Ferdinand

Yeah, it worked better as a silly internet thing.
    I'm not even entirely sure why the TV version doesn't click as well for me. It just feels, 'off', or something compared to the original internet bits.

• Options
    Not enough vulgarity?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Whitest Kids U Know likewise suffered from the transition to TV

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    a_250x375.jpg

Some people are still bitter about Friends I guess!
    Or the destruction of some old house. Either one. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/anti-friends-graffiti-in-east-village-photo.html

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    This isn't exactly a comedy but I just started watching The West Wing on Netflix

This show's from 1999

One of the first plotlines is about the President having to decide if he should issue a "proportional" military response in Syria after actions they had taken

Boy did I pick a weird time to pick this show up

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    A reminder that The President was originally supposed to be a minor character until Sheen's performance in his one scene blew everyone away and the rest is history.

• Options
    I remember when I thought that was the greatest show in the world.

• Options
    The wheels kinda fall off after a while, but I still liked it longer than most. I like season 7 too, but it's The West Wing for like one episode and "The Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda Show: Featuring Bradley Whitford" for the rest of it.

Also, just thinking about "7A WF 83429" is enough to get me close to tears.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    The first four seasons are fantastic, and the seventh season is pretty good but sort of feels like a different show.

• Options
    Done with Bossypants, that was an excellent read. Also, I love that 30 Rock included a live performance of one of their episodes in season 2, as you get to see Donald Glover filling in for some of the roles.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    a_250x375.jpg

Some people are still bitter about Friends I guess!
    Or the destruction of some old house. Either one. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/anti-friends-graffiti-in-east-village-photo.html

but seriously, I was watching Friends re-runs the other day, and Ross was a pretty terrible person all-around, while Chandler, the most well-adjusted is presented as a freak of nature

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ross and Rachel de-evolve into the most annoying selfish people after their break up which is also around the time the show starts leaning in the cast and gives up on good writing

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Thsts clearly about @Beasteh by the way

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I just started watching friends for the first time

It's funny but boy I sure do not like Ross and Rachel and it's only episode three

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    I would probably like friends if it didn't have Ross or Rachel

But every time I've caught it in syndication those two annoy me

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Thsts clearly about @Beasteh by the way

h-hey

• Options
    "ross! haha! like from friends!"

• Options
    edited September 2013
    The fact that Ross never sued his ex wife for custody bugs me. They just made him this huge pushover to these horrible women that continue to berate and attack him.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    R•O•S•S

• Options
    chico buu

• Options
    edited September 2013
    For me, the the only reason Friends was ever worth watching was Chandler and Joey. But after they split those guys up and all Joey jokes were "duhhh i'm so dumb" and Chandler stopped having any storylines of his own that didn't involve Monica, the show kinda lost its charm. And yeah, them going back to the Ross and Rachel well every frickin' season was annoying too.

I used to hate the show because it's so *huge* in India. It's the one American show everybody's seen and is considered some kind of all-time classic that stands alone. That used to irk me for some reason.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Friends really found its footing after the wedding in London. The Ross/Rachel thing went away for awhile and everyone just devolved into insanity. Personally, I think the episodes after the wedding are the best.

For reference, please see the episode where Ross was attracted to his cousin.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
This discussion has been closed.