As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone Play Netrunner With Me and Bogart and Cesca and Elldren [chat]

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    I'm always baffled by the vegan hate. I guess it's equal parts reaction to the idea that someone has a stricter moral code and not actually knowing any vegans.

it's because vegans are universally the worst people

they're right next to anime nerds on the "order of societal worth" list

You're just saying that because of Bill Clinton.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    So I've just discovered that Australia is abandoning science.

Science told Australians to dump all those old tires on top of their coral reefs ten years ago. "Fish will love them," scientists said. "It's better than recycling them!"

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    I love vegan food, except 'vegan' food which is always vegetables trying to be meat, or just terribly processed garbage attempting to vaguely resemble Mac and cheese, or a hamburger. Vegan cheese is a crime against humanity.

Counterpoint- processed vegetable protein that tastes like meat is one of the greatest accomplishments of food science

And put vegan cheese on a pizza I promise its good

but they always taste like, at best, kind of crummy meat

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    the key to getting food with a bunch of people is understanding that not everyone likes or eats the same things you do and to not be a douchebag

if your dietary requirements are really that onerous, adapt and don't burden the group

I, literally, cannot have 99% of take away foods, owing to my body being broken and awful.
    Which is why I just tell everyone else to order their own food and i'll sort myself out. Minimal fuss and nobody gets held to ransom by my requirements.

Is this not common practice amongst people who are older than toddlers, or am i missing something here?

There is a whole class of people (doesn't have to be vegan but its definitely a popular one for this issue) who go all huff n puff when the takeout menus come out. "There's nothing I can eat from there," or "you guys go ahead and order, ill just not eat until we are done here" or any other number of phrases designed (whether intentional or not) to make you feel shitty about looking forward to your deep fried porkfat battered meat pile.

Smart people with dietary restrictions almost always travel with some food on them. If your shit is so dire that you literally cannot eat at 75% of establishments, you need to be prepared to feed yourself at any time.

Passive aggressive people...

I guess if you like that sort of person, then.. I mean, I don't want to judge your life choices. Some people are less discerning in their acquaintances I suppose.
    augh it hurt to even type that. I affirmatively detest people who are passive agressive graaaah

spool32 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I like vegan fake chicken.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Gooby

what if

I'm your son

avface

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm always baffled by the vegan hate. I guess it's equal parts reaction to the idea that someone has a stricter moral code and not actually knowing any vegans.

well, having a strict moral code doesn't have any inherent value, but if people wanna vegan they can vegan, my best friends wife is and she's never bugged me

a girlfriend of one of my friends though is vocally vegan, and that's where it gets into "oh my god shut the fuck up" town

o_O

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

are they replacing it with something or are they all just gonna open all the doors and let the poisonous things and violent kangaroos take them

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    @desc

What did you end up getting?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Vegan make-believe meat and American Chinese food are a match made in heaven.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, about Bronys.

I believe that without the internet, there would be no Brony. Now let me be clear, I don't mean that the internet enables Bronys to get together and form groups and become a thing.

No, I don't mean that at all.

I mean that the internet is, and I believe we all will agree, generally an awful place to be a person. It's full of hatred, cynicism, intolerance, rage, terrible behavior, an utter lack of decorum, politeness, caring, or decency. A wretched hive of scum and villainy. This is so universally true that places like Penny Arcade stand out dramatically for possessing collective traits like common decency and respect for fellow members. Other places also create these safe circles, and similarly are noted for being so different from the awful norm.

Couple this with the general trend in media of being oh so grimdark, and people just end up latching on, almost desperately, for something that's simple, straightforward, and demonstrates the basic humanity and kindness that gets you abused and shit on almost universally across the internet. Friendship, respect, and stories where people do the right thing and it works out take on an almost mythical quality in a sea of Breaking Bads and youtube flamewars and casual disgusting sexism and epic trolling.

The internet didn't enable the Bronys - the internet created them.

This is a thing made of 100% GoodPoast™. Also would fit very well into a Batman comic.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

well, having a strict moral code doesn't have any inherent value, but if people wanna vegan they can vegan, my best friends wife is and she's never bugged me

a girlfriend of one of my friends though is vocally vegan, and that's where it gets into "oh my god shut the fuck up" town

o_O

The guy that drove the plane into the pentagon had a pretty strict moral code

What I'm saying is vegans are probably terrorists

• Options
    Zampanov wrote: »

are they replacing it with something or are they all just gonna open all the doors and let the poisonous things and violent kangaroos take them

I think they've just decided to focus on monetizing the remaining science and teaching people about this mysterious force.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    @ronya

This basically sums up my particular ontological condundrum:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/09/beyond-belief/

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    There isn't a single thing labelled "mock" in the Whole Foods lunch buffet that I enjoy.

And I have tried all of it because I am pretty damned open minded when it comes to food and I used to work across the street from a whole foods.

All of it is trying to be something and missing the mark, and I can just go eat the real thing it's trying to be, so why eat the bizarre homunculus version of pulled pork?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I will eat all the vegan foods btw
    kaleedity wrote: »

the hate comes from being used to cooking for people and suddenly not being able to share any food with this new, weird category

I got through the situation by never really contributing any of my own food to gatherings @arch

Its funny that when you and I hung out I was closest I ever have been to being actually vegan

Now I'm getting closer to normal meat people things or whatever

Also the most vegan hate, in my opinion, comes from people afraid of strawman vegans who will like, jump over a table and give you a pamphlet when you are about to eat a burger

/also PETA being dumbheads

honestly dogg I was slightly worried about you eating enough, like most of my friends down here. I'm glad I was able to try out what foods a vegan would go for either way.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

the hate comes from being used to cooking for people and suddenly not being able to share any food with this new, weird category

I got through the situation by never really contributing any of my own food to gatherings @arch

Its funny that when you and I hung out I was closest I ever have been to being actually vegan

Also the most vegan hate, in my opinion, comes from people afraid of strawman vegans who will like, jump over a table and give you a pamphlet when you are about to eat a burger

Anecdote time: I once had someone show up to my BBQ with no food and complain that she couldn't eat anything and wouldnt touch the veggie skewers because the grill was used on animals.

There are actually vegans that pull you into their dietary shit. Anyone that does that is an objectively awful person.

• Options
    Thug Kitchen has made me want to try tempe.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

For too long science has gotten a free ride. Get a job, science!

• Options
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

o_O

The guy that drove the plane into the pentagon had a pretty strict moral code

What I'm saying is vegans are probably terrorists

There is that one vegan terrorist with the giant "VEGAN" neck tattoo...

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I like vegan things sometimes. Like apples and bananas and grapes and oranges.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

Anecdote time: I once had someone show up to my BBQ with no food and complain that she couldn't eat anything and wouldnt touch the veggie skewers because the grill was used on animals.

There are actually vegans that pull you into their dietary shit. Anyone that does that is an objectively awful person.

that is a hanging offence in these here parts.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    Vegan make-believe meat and American Chinese food are a match made in heaven.

Oh my gorb.

• Options
    This one time a vegan was rude -> ban all vegans hail satan

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

hahahah, wow.
    What a bellend.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Of course

• Options

For too long science has gotten a free ride. Get a job, science!

Government wants Science to be Pare, not Vesalius or Harvey.[/GCSE History of Medicine Joke]

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

It becomes like religion; they are constantly trying to convert you and it's fucking awful.

By the way, I am going to be getting the new 5s - the camera on it makes the iPhone 5 camera seem pretty scrub tier.

You should get one too. It will make you a better person.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Is there not going to be a thread on the NAVSEA shooting?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

agree

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @ronya

This basically sums up my particular ontological condundrum:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/09/beyond-belief/

@hamurabi

you may also be amused that Catholic opposition in Eastern Europe to Soviet domination was frequently also heavily tinged with white supremacy and anti-semitism

in any case, an economist's disposition here is to presume that talk is cheap: religion is at its core an economic institution, and the words are just dressing; the role that human reason and reflection plays in intermediating how religious rhetoric translates to institutional effect is limited. Until the day that the philosophers and linguists deliver to us a quantitative theory of semiotics, but we are a while away from that.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Seitan is tasty, but gluten!! I'm allergic. :lol: 8-> :bz

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Gooby

what if

I'm your son

gooby jr.

pls.

• Options

agree
    MARRIED TO @TACOBELL CAUSE HAMBURGERS IS BASIC. SCIENCE GAME DORITOS LOCOS.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Vegan cheese is a crime against humanity.

Yes yes a million times yes.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is there not going to be a thread on the NAVSEA shooting?

News report says that terrorism is not at play here.

This discussion has been closed.