Options

The New Club Nintendo Thread

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    the "problem" (in quotes) is that the games length was determined by the lack of information. Once you know where the dungeons are and have beaten the game knowing the right weapons to use/etc, the game is significantly shorter. That's ok, that was a thing back then. today, we "should" get more content because we don't need to wander around figuring out which tree to burn. My time is better spent hacking 47 more goblins to death than wandering through zone after zone wondering what i'm supposed to do. My 10 year old recently tried to play LoZ and he ended up in the 3rd dungeon with his wooden sword and nothing else. He was not happy when he wandered around for a while and i told him he need to go find the first dungeon so he could get the bow and also he needed to get a shield and bombs and oh there are random secret places you can blow up/burn down. Why, why would they do that?

To allow you to explore, and do things how you would like. Also, you start with a shield, so I don't know what you're on about... yeah, you can buy a better one, but still.

It rewards exploration and knowledge, rather than forcing you down virtually the same path everyone else treads. That's why when I start the game, I'm usually hunting for heart containers so I can get the White Sword and the Blue Ring before even starting the first labyrinth (and I think there's a digital manual included to tell you what things do). One playthrough, after beating level 2, I decided to go to level 8 and get the magic key, for no other reason than because I could, and then not have to worry about keys any more.

What's even better? I knew what I was looking for, and wound up completely missing it-- all I wanted was the key, but I ended up beating the boss and finishing the level without even finding what I came for. I went back in, took care of the rest, and boom, all done there. Plus, I came away from it with the satisfaction of beating the next-to-last level well before I was even "supposed" to.

It's a thrill you rarely find in newer Zeldas, where even being given an ounce of such choice can break the game (re: Skyward Sword's glitch).

I reviewed the game a short time back here, where I delved into more detail. Incidentally, I like that A Link Between Worlds seems to be trying to recapture some of this spirit, and I hope it succeeds.

This was basically open-world gaming before that really even became a thing. People go to the end of the game without even getting the first sword! You'll not find a Zelda game today that allows you to challenge yourself like that; they'll give you a sword, tell you why you're getting the sword, inform you of where the sword came from, let you know that there's an even better sword, and that you might inevitably have to upgrade that sword, too.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

This was basically open-world gaming before that really even became a thing. People go to the end of the game without even getting the first sword! You'll not find a Zelda game today that allows you to challenge yourself like that; they'll give you a sword, tell you why you're getting the sword, inform you of where the sword came from, let you know that there's an even better sword, and that you might inevitably have to upgrade that sword, too.

You rang?
    302163_2379108683102_956474285_n.jpg

314983_2379114123238_2027805743_n.jpg

320453_2379115123263_109567798_n.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Shine on, you crazy diamond.
    ...or however that expression goes.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yo Noid! is still one of the best product mascot games ever made.

Yeah, this is because it is not actually a Yo Noid game! It was a Japanese game that I don't think was even product oriented, it was its own thing, which was totally reskinned into Yo Noid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F5LxvSoz2c

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Zelda: Link between worlds and 3ds Mario Party are now up on Intend-to-buy (Thought it might be a little buggy, I tried doing a Zelda survey and I'm not sure if it "took" or not.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    Super Mario 3D World is up for Intendo to Buy as well.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I hope Mario Party 3DS is a good Multiplayer game to have. A good reason for me to finally download a 3DS game off the eShop.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Platinum status is figured june-june, or whenever, right? not jan-jan?

After 3D world and between world I should be like 150 points from platinum, not sure what i'll finish it with.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Platinum status is figured june-june, or whenever, right? not jan-jan?

After 3D world and between world I should be like 150 points from platinum, not sure what i'll finish it with.

Right, July 1st - June 30th.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I stopped registering games at around 130 coins short of Platinum this year, figuring post-play surveys would cover the rest. Between the Intend to Buy for Link Between Worlds and Super Mario, I'm gonna be over again this year. I hate to waste coins, but there's likely little chance I won't be able to hit Platinum next year either. I just wish they'd come out with an actual good reward.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    http://club2.nintendo.com/3dsxl-charger/
    banner-cradle1.png
    banner-cradle2.png

Available on 10/31, limited quantities.

i want it i want it i want it i want it i want it i want it i want it i want it i want it i want it i want it

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Hmmmm. I hope it's for 200 coins or something. I don't see it getting as high as the Golden Wii Nunchuck.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    See, that's the kind of thing I'd like to see in the EU CN. Something actually useful.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Finally something good. Ask and you shall receive. Wonder how many coins it is. Oh who cares, I've got tons.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It will cost 500 coins.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Happy birthday to me, then!

• Options
    It will cost 500 coins.

That seems odd compared to the other things they have for more coins. I'll take it though.

If it's still available when I try to get it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...is it weird that I'm planning on getting one even though I don't own a 3DSXL? I just want something to spend my coins on, dammit!

(I will probably be getting an XL eventually because the right shoulder button on my 3DS is pooping out. But still.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Hmm, I need to get 120 coins in the next 7 days.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I'll be snagging one of those cradles! My XL is blue but I'm not sure I want it to match. The green gives it a cool Luigi vibe though....

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Can you even buy a normal XL charger, and the club is just offering coloured options, or is this quite literally the only way to get one?

Because I feel like the latter option is pushing the limit. This doesn't feel so much like a cool gift or reward as it does a legitimate item that should be sold in a store.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Can you even buy a normal XL charger, and the club is just offering coloured options, or is this quite literally the only way to get one?

Black XL cradle is available from Nintendo's online store for $19.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Those cradles are neat - after registering Pikmin and Pokemon X & Y I'm sure I'd have enough points for one, but I wish they'd throw in an actual AC adapter to go with the cradle.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I can stack up 2000 coins easily if I finish up all my surveys and register all the stuff I haven't registered yet...but I don't own a 3DSXL, and I'm not quite feeling evil enough to order a bunch of these and sell 'em.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Figures they'd come out with those just after I ordered a black cradle. Oh well, perhaps I'll get that snazzy green one and give the black one to my mom if she picks up an XL.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Hmm... I'm thinking green will be the best match for the upcoming Zelda 3DS XL.

• Options
    Xobyte wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm thinking green will be the best match for the upcoming Zelda 3DS XL.

Well, it is the Year of Luigi.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Of course they don't offer the blck one with these because I just got an all black XL. Green it is to make my XL a Celtics one

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    They aren't offering black as a Club Nintendo reward because that one is already available for $19.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Anyone actually think the blue stand will match the blue 3DSXL? The color looks slightly different in the couple pictures it's in.
    If only I had a black model...then it would go well with any stand!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    I'm totally going for Green. It'll go good with my blue XL, and if Nintendo releases the Orange XL outside of Japan it'll look great with that too :)

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Anyone actually think the blue stand will match the blue 3DSXL? The color looks slightly different in the couple pictures it's in.
    If only I had a black model...then it would go well with any stand!

From the pictures, the Red 3DS seems to match the Red cradle almost identically, so I would imagine it'll be the same for the Blue 3DS/Cradle.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I don't see the green going well with the blue 3DSXL. I would say either blue (to be all blue theme) or yellow (Pokemon theme).

I need to check my coins.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I just registered a couple of games to hit 500 coins. I have a few more games to register later when we get closer to the end of the Club Nintendo year. As it stands now, I have enough just to get a bit past Gold, I'm going to need to buy a few more games to reach Platinum.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    They aren't offering black as a Club Nintendo reward because that one is already available for $19.

Obviously I get that. Was just saying, that it would happen that way for me as I have never ordered anything off of club nintendo for the 4 or five years I've been a member. And now that I like something enough to go for it, they don't have one to match my system.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I don't have an XL, but I'm getting a white one. I might be able to afford it one day if I'm lucky enough (or I could sell it if I don't).

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm also torn on what one to get for my blue XL. I love green, but the yellow and red options also look nice. White stands out nicely, too.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    yeah, I already ordered one of the Black ones a few months back. so nice having one.

I also ordered one of the XL Circle Pad Pros off there. Never actually used it, but I like knowing i have it.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Time to camp the website at 11:59pm

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I'll order any color available since I know these are going to go quick.

This discussion has been closed.