Options

[Pokemon thread] Download the patch that fixes the Lumiose City bug now

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    So, I want to point out a really sexy opening you can do with Greninja: if you open against an electric attack you can lay down spikes and nullify it.

• Options
    oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    yeah, protean is boss.

you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    So, I want to point out a really sexy opening you can do with Greninja: if you open against an electric attack you can lay down spikes and nullify it.

How does that work?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Is there a place to evolve Nosepass/Magneton this gen? The route before the power plant maybe?

Yep! Magneton evolves there as well.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    oxybe wrote: »
    Friend safari dittos have at least 2 perfect IV, same with any 'mon.

dittos can just do the freaky with ANY 'mon, so with an army of dittos and the Everstone+DestinyKnot you can pass down IVs and Natures to get perfect or near perfect 'mons.

my skarmory has 31/31/31/x/31/31, goodra 31/x/31/31/31/31, garchomp 31/31/31/31/31/31 & Aegislash 31/x/31/x/31/31.

i'm going to be breeding a Tyranitar with similar stats too.

all it takes is patience and an army of gray blobs.

also: Monster and cold pizza, the 7pm breakfast of champions

A season of a good TV show also helps.

i work the night audit at a hotel 11pm-7am, it's really quiet with not much to do besides wait on walk-ins and the odd front desk call between 11-1 and it's dead quiet between 4-5 before i need to start getting breakfast ready.

so i pokemons behind the counter :3 . as long as all my work gets done, s'all cool with the higher ups.

also, if someone wants a good show: Kill la Kill. all you need to know is it's headed by Hiroyuki Imaishi, who's worked on FLCL, Gurren Laagan and Panty & Stocking w/Garterbelt. it's on it's 4th episode and just keeps picking up steam.

also, just to make this pokemon-relevant, here is professor sycamore re-enacting a scene from the show.
    1393665_376845895780961_980513852_n.jpg
    in my mind, this is cannon X/Y now.

All you needed to say was "Gainax Show" and I was on board. Thanks for the tip!

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

How does that work?

Protean, spikes is a ground move.

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular

How does that work?

Using spikes turns him into a ground type.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So was I just lucky, or is Swalot really good? I was playing against my cousin last night and it made short work of her Yveltal with just Toxic and Venoshock.

Also, I'm disappointed my male Greninja and my female Toxicroak can't breed.

• Options

How does that work?

Haha, that's brilliant. But it fucks over the Galvantula opening I had in mind. Arse!

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    VinterVinter Registered User regular
    Hey guys, just added a bunch of people. Anyone who has room please feel free to add me. Look forward to battling and safariing.

The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Xbox GT: Master Vinter Steam: Vinter PSN: VinterM 3DS: 4699-5853-7381
  • Options
    Just ran into a contrary Serperior in the battle maison. Game Freak is taunting us now.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    So was I just lucky, or is Swalot really good? I was playing against my cousin last night and it made short work of her Yveltal with just Toxic and Venoshock.

Also, I'm disappointed my male Greninja and my female Toxicroak can't breed.
    Poison pokemon are getting their revenge this gen.

Raaampaaaggge!
    To arms, Garbodor!

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Nabob wrote: »
    Guh! Its taking forever to find an Immunity Gligar! It doesn't help that it is always raining on stupid Route 19

I have plenty to spare. Impish with 4 perfect IVs. Won't be on until after 6 PST though.

Related: Guys I just bred a Gligar with six perfect IVs. Had two fours in the daycare and was just going for a five. Why couldn't this have happened with something I wanted to make a mixed attacker?

@Sevorak Awesome! I'd love one! I friended you, my FC is in my sig. All I really have are a 4x31 Starly and proabably some Panchams, Scythers and Larvestas with 3x31 or maybe if you are looking for a specific nature or IV combo ditto, I have a ton of them lying around.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options

How does that work?

Haha, that's brilliant. But it fucks over the Galvantula opening I had in mind. Arse!

Greninja is a really, really sexy opener:
    You can use that spikes trick, he also has U-turn at his disposal (which can OHKO that stupid Super Power Malamar build or an opponent's Greninja and is hilarious when it does), and anything that he can't outspeed or OHKO he can almost always pick up the kill using Focus Sash. You have no idea how many Talonflames I have killed first turn through eating a Brave Bird, breaking my sash, and then just hitting them with Surf.

• Options

Trigger, actually. it's Imaishi's own post-Gainax studio.

-Weather Badge
  • Options

How does that work?

You can use that spikes trick, he also has U-turn at his disposal (which can OHKO that stupid Super Power Malamar build or an opponent's Greninja and is hilarious when it does), and anything that he can't outspeed or OHKO he can almost always pick up the kill using Focus Sash. You have no idea how many Talonflames I have killed first turn through eating a Brave Bird, breaking my sash, and then just hitting them with Surf.

Does Galvantula outspeed him? (assuming 31 Spe + 252 on both).

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Only with a choice scarf.

• Options
    Man, I really should've paid attention to the fact that half the moves I wanted on Ferrothorn were egg moves before I went through all the trouble of EV training and leveling this one...

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    @Last Son added in return.

• Options
    Man, I really should've paid attention to the fact that half the moves I wanted on Ferrothorn were egg moves before I went through all the trouble of EV training and leveling this one...

That was Gen V for me. God.
    Only with a choice scarf.

Damn. Then I don't really know, I want to use Galvantula but there are so many great options for openers now.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

Trigger, actually. it's Imaishi's own post-Gainax studio.

They also created two short-lived Youtube series: Inferno Cop and Turning Girls. Inferno Cop is about a cop with flaming skull head and feels almost exactly like one of the better Adult Swim shows (not Venture Bros level, but Aqua Teen). Turning Girls is about a group of women in their late 20's who are really only friends because they're the only women their age at work (it is hilarious, BTW, yet tragically short).

Anyway, back to Pokemon:

Can we get some links in the OP to good sources about breeding and training competitive 'mons?

• Options
    I've never run into a galvantula that outsped my greninja. Granted, I haven't run into many. Most people are opening with rotom-w, talonflame, or greninja.

• Options
    I think have a spare Ferroseed with spikes/stealth rock/leech seed. Only 1 or 2 max EVs though. Got any more Protean Greninjas?

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Holy shit, walking home from the laundrymat (Across the street) I managed to streetpass someone playing Pokemon. What are the odds? o.O

(Edit: All you get for a streetpass? 1 PokeMile. And it appears it detects ANY 3DS as a streetpass, not just ones which have enabled Pokemon X/Y's Holo caster.)

• Options
    I've never run into a galvantula that outsped my greninja. Granted, I haven't run into many. Most people are opening with rotom-w, talonflame, or greninja.

So now my question is, given Protean and U-Turn: what counters Greninja as an opener turn 1/2?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I think have a spare Ferroseed with spikes/stealth rock/leech seed. Only 1 or 2 max EVs though. Got any more Protean Greninjas?

Yes! I'd love to make that trade.

e: No chance that you have one with those egg moves who happens to be female?

Winky on
  • Options
    That Mewtwo encounter theme is so deliciously nostalgic.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular

Yes! I'd love to make that trade.

e: No chance that you have one with those egg moves who happens to be female?

do you have any extras of those ferroseeds? dont care about ivs or natures

• Options
    edited October 2013

So now my question is, given Protean and U-Turn: what counters Greninja as an opener turn 1/2?

Mega-Kangaskhan can Fake Out to make him flinch and fuck up his U-turn. M-Kanga also completely nullifies Focus Sash. Using protect first turn will also cause U-turn to fail, so using something like a Blaziken or a Scolipede can give you a leg up on the opening.

e: Though, honestly, if you just ran anything with Brave Bird and a Focus Sash you would beat him.

e2: Scratch that, Brave Bird fucks up Focus Sash doesn't it? You can probably outspeed him with another Flying move, though, right?

Winky on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

How does that work?

You could hypothetically predict Protean Spikes and slam him with Energy Ball for what I assume is a KO. Gotta give up Volt Switch for that, though.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »

How does that work?

Does Galvantula outspeed him? (assuming 31 Spe + 252 on both).

You could hypothetically predict Protean Spikes and slam him with Energy Ball for what I assume is a KO. Gotta give up Volt Switch for that, though.

So Thunder/Energy Ball/Stick Web and?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Bug Buzz, presumably. Unless you'd rather sacrifice that than Volt Switch.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »

How does that work?

Energy Ball is a good opening against him in general.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    @Sevorak I have Protean Froakies, I'd love a Ferroseed.

• Options
    ..And I'm dead.

Probably should have saved that master ball for him.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    ..And I'm dead.

Probably should have saved that master ball for him.

Mew-Two is a little rough, actually. Surprising compared to the other push-over legends.

• Options
    I refuse to use my Master Ball on anything other than a Magicarp.

It's tradition, dontchaknow.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Vinter wrote: »
    Hey guys, just added a bunch of people. Anyone who has room please feel free to add me. Look forward to battling and safariing.

It might help if we knew who you added :)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Someone vandalized the spreadsheet :?

• Options
    Someone vandalized the spreadsheet :?

did they? i just reloaded it and it looks fine, just organized by username instead of safari type.

-Weather Badge
This discussion has been closed.