Options

OLD THREAD: Don't post 'til you see the whites of their Steam sales!

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Guys:

It's so pretty, I've missed this game. More people should play so we can multiplayer and turn the ring station into a meteor scarred hellzone with dance parties on the sixth galatic day of the week.

what is that

Startopia. It's 60% off right now and super cheap. You manage space stations for various alien races with incredibly racist hiring practices while a snarky AI guides you through the lore tidbits and how to play. Then you go onto free play mode, set it up to be as brutal or relaxed as you feel like (shockingly, meteors actually not the worst possible thing) before sitting back and slowly growing your space station in industry, entertainment and crop farming (using morphable terrain as well).

Oh whew, still at work - can resist...for another hour or two. This sounds great!

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I played a bit of Rogue Legacy

And I'm not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

It's probably more a number of smaller things than any one thing.

So far I'm not a fan of how fragile the player is, combined with the scarcity of health recovery.

There are a lot of flying enemies that are hard to hit, that shoot projectiles that are difficult to avoid.

Enemies have varying levels, so even in the same major area, enemies of the same type might deal the same amount of damage or have the same amount of health.
    Those are valid points, but these complaints die off by playing through the game a bunch of time and leveling your next character with better equipment/stats.
    It doesn't take super-long to "get the hang of it".
    As for the enemies, in a short while you'll know them all by heart and find most of them trivial to avoid... and then you'll travel to the next section of the castle and die instantly.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    This is very important:

DO NOT buy Hammerwatch.

Any particular reason?

It's pbad. More along the lines of an oversimplified cellphone game than the action RPG it purports to be.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Don't send me more things! @broncbuster sent me 300 days. I can't participate in the sale, but I have Zelda and Mario this holiday season anyhow. Though, I might have to get skyrim, that price is nuts. A few dollars won't hurt...oh god, this is how it starts. It ends with my savings wiped out, doesn't it?

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    So, if I want the legendary version of skyrim, should I wait out a better deal? Or is this likely the best its going to get?

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »
    So, if I want the legendary version of skyrim, should I wait out a better deal? Or is this likely the best its going to get?

Is it a flash sale?

Is it the last day of the sale?

If no to both, then don't buy.

If yes to either one, buy

• Options
    JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    If only there was a handy flowcart ....

How have I not looked at Startopia?

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Grabbed Outlast. Had to remind myself to wait for dailies or a flash for some of the other games that are on a flat sale at the moment.

Really, really hoping State of Decay gets a deeper discount.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Really Bethesda, 50% on the Skyrim DLC still? ~Sighs~ Putting off playing it for another year it looks like.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Just finished installing my 7870, finally figured out I had to mess around in bios to get it working, now downloading Skyrim Legendary.

Woot woo.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Peewi wrote: »
    I played a bit of Rogue Legacy

And I'm not really enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

It's probably more a number of smaller things than any one thing.

So far I'm not a fan of how fragile the player is, combined with the scarcity of health recovery.

There are a lot of flying enemies that are hard to hit, that shoot projectiles that are difficult to avoid.

Enemies have varying levels, so even in the same major area, enemies of the same type might deal the same amount of damage or have the same amount of health.

When I first started playing it I had the same impressions, but I'm glad I kept going. You're going to die at first, and you're going to die a lot. It's pretty normal. Don't let it discourage you. The more skills and powerups you get, the longer and farther your runs will go, and you'll start having more fun with it as you figure out the enemy patterns and generally get better at the game.

Don't give up on it yet. It really ends up being a super fun game if you stick with it. Also, I would recommend playing with a gamepad if you have one.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Just remember too guys that the Christmas sale isn't long after the autumn sale and may see better deals.

I thought the leaked document stated that the Autumn Sale and Winter Sale will have the same discounts. Or did I read that wrong?

Any game on sale in both sales will have the same discount in both sales. However, a game can be on sale in one sale and not in the other. That was my interpretation, anyway.

Also, I don't think that counts daily or flash deals.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Antichamber got Steam cards!

I wonder if all the dailies that didn't have them will get them?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I don't know about you all, but I got me a Mother Fucking DEMON STEED!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    TF2 key prices are plummeting, like usual, during the sale. Good time to buy into the TF2 trading market if you've been curious.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    AVGNAdventures_Header.jpg

24 hour contest time!

Make up an AVGN-ism, using either the form "This game is ______!" or "I'd rather _____ than play this _____ game!" PM it to me, and I'll pick the best one to get the game! Points for vulgarity, scatological references, creativity, and humor! All responses will be posted in the thread! Deadline is tomorrow, November 27, at 8:00 PM PST! EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!~

Just a reminder, I'm still collecting entries! And this game is definitely better than the rotten asshole of a roadkill skunk!

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Muppetman wrote: »
    Well I took the plunge on Skyrim - for less than £4 how could I not. Do I mod or alter it in anyway or just fire it up and get involved?

The OP of the Skyrim thread has some recommended mods. For your first time through I would recommend UI fixes and unofficial patches only, no gameplay affecting things so you can get the vanilla experience.

In my opinion those mods are for after you beat the game, to spice things up a bit on your next playthrough(s).

Yeah I saw the thread and what seemed like a very long list of mods :) Will see what the game looks like in the raw so to speak and then maybe have a look at texture mods and the like. Thanks

For what it's worth, I installed Skyrim for the first time a month or so ago. I played it for a few days unmodded, and then went back, read the Skyrim thread, and got the unofficial patch (for bug fixes), Better Quest Markes (because finding stuff was sometimes annoying), and SkyUI - which was a bit complicated to install, but de-consolified the UI and made it more PC friendly.

I cannot express the extra value these added to the experience. SkyUI in particular made actually *doing* things in the interface roughly a bajillion percent easier, and two bajillion percent less frustrating. I tried, i really tried, to stick to Vanilla, but frankly I heartily recommend the bug fixes and the un-awful interface that mods can bring you.

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    One game I hope to grab is Enslaved. It's currently 25% off but I have a feeling we will see a 33 - 50% off on a flash sale.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I don't know about you all, but I got me a Mother Fucking DEMON STEED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfBz6Xa-QBY

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    Fuggit...Skyrim: Legendary get.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Wanted to say thanks to @Jragghen for being an extremely classy gent and hosting all those giveaways!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    been super sick for the past few days, so my hype for the sale has been kinda.. blech. However today I wake up feeling a little better and find out that @Khildith has gifted me both Castlevania: Lord of shadow and Mickey's Castle of Illusion. Caaaaaaaastles. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Just remember too guys that the Christmas sale isn't long after the autumn sale and may see better deals.

I thought the leaked document stated that the Autumn Sale and Winter Sale will have the same discounts. Or did I read that wrong?

Any game on sale in both sales will have the same discount in both sales. However, a game can be on sale in one sale and not in the other. That was my interpretation, anyway.

Also, I don't think that counts daily or flash deals.

In the leak they asked for developers to provide both a duration discount and a promo discount. If you see something on flash or daily, it's not going to get a deeper flash or daily in the next sale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    @Talus9952 is a king. A mercenary king to be precise. And he's spreading it around. Thanks for Mercenary Kings - I can't wait to try it out! :)

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hey, as someone who really liked HOMM 2 and 3, but wasn't really impressed with a playthrough of King's Bounty he saw

HOMM VI is on sale right now for $15/$20 with xpacks. How is HOMM nowadays?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Okay, all gifts are either out or friend invites sent. Kinda surprised I didn't have some of you on my list already, but no worries.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Both wishlist buttons are now only taking me to my own wishlist. It must have just been a glitch in the system. Frown.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Let's see...flowchart says wait on Rogue Legacy, but $5 is still a pretty damn good deal.

Ok, I'll wait until the last day.

Thanks thread for warning me off Hammerwatch. Don't need a smartphone game I'll spend five minutes on and ignore forever.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Let's see...flowchart says wait on Rogue Legacy, but $5 is still a pretty damn good deal.

Ok, I'll wait until the last day.

Thanks thread for warning me off Hammerwatch. Don't need a smartphone game I'll spend five minutes on and ignore forever.

Rogue Legacy is a daily deal.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Just a side note. I crafted a Summer Sale badge. No tricks up valves sleeve there!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Well I took the plunge on Skyrim - for less than £4 how could I not. Do I mod or alter it in anyway or just fire it up and get involved?

The OP of the Skyrim thread has some recommended mods. For your first time through I would recommend UI fixes and unofficial patches only, no gameplay affecting things so you can get the vanilla experience.

In my opinion those mods are for after you beat the game, to spice things up a bit on your next playthrough(s).

Yeah I saw the thread and what seemed like a very long list of mods :) Will see what the game looks like in the raw so to speak and then maybe have a look at texture mods and the like. Thanks

For what it's worth, I installed Skyrim for the first time a month or so ago. I played it for a few days unmodded, and then went back, read the Skyrim thread, and got the unofficial patch (for bug fixes), Better Quest Markes (because finding stuff was sometimes annoying), and SkyUI - which was a bit complicated to install, but de-consolified the UI and made it more PC friendly.

I cannot express the extra value these added to the experience. SkyUI in particular made actually *doing* things in the interface roughly a bajillion percent easier, and two bajillion percent less frustrating. I tried, i really tried, to stick to Vanilla, but frankly I heartily recommend the bug fixes and the un-awful interface that mods can bring you.

Also there are mods to make the guys super, super hot.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Laugh as I know you will. But as a man who just played a PC game with a respectable rig for the first time ever, damn Aliens Colonial Marines looks better than anything I have played on a console!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2013
    I swear to god I'm going to start infracting people that ask "Should I buy thisssss?" when the flowchart is incredibly simple and has been in the OP for nearly a year now.

This is not true, but seriously people. Come the fuck on. You're killing me.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Wheew, finally caught up with the thread.

Thanks, @shdwcaster for SPACE HULK

Re: turn based RPGs: They're pretty old school, but I'd recomend the spiderweb software games (Avadon, Avernum, Av..err... geneforge). Also, I liked expeditions: conquistador, even though it clearly isn't perfect and gets a little tedious over time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Good to know, thanks for the that.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Laugh as I know you will. But as a man who just played a PC game with a respectable rig for the first time ever, damn Aliens Colonial Marines looks better than anything I have played on a console!

Sounds like someone needs to play Bioshock Infinite.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

PLease tell me you didn't buy this game

Please

It is terrible

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I need to fortify my wishlist.

Winter is coming.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Year Odd the Snake is on sale. I think that's the lowest it's been. Need to get it, and maybe Zodiac Tournament, to complete my Sleeping Dogs collection. They only released three DLCs with plot and stuff, right?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    The reason I asked about skyrim was because only the base game is a daily, but the legendary version seems to be following the same timer, but with a lesser discount. So... I guess I'll buy it, then. Sorry for asking a question guys.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
This discussion has been closed.