As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

black and white [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Back to the Future

If some stranger helped me and my wife get together in high school and then later on we had a kid that looked just like him, and looked nothing like me, I'd be looking at my wife a bit suspiciously.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Augh, every lecture I tryto summarize hammers a point in my mind: I am not gonna finish in time...

I am so disappointed in myself. i mean, more than usual.

Oh well, I'm plunging back in my notes... But goddamn am I gonna have a crappy grade.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    John Barrowman plays certain roles very very well.

doesn't he play a
    Bad Arrow-man

But a nuanced one sorta.
    he's got the whole batman begins gotta destroy part of the city to fix the city plan.

look at his name

look at my spoiler again

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Omg. Kid pulled a gun on John Barrowman and says

"Stop. I don't want to hurt you. "

Then Barrowman just calmly says "You can't."

Before smooth mode disarming him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I'm old enough now that I worry about younger people on okcupid thinking I'm a creep if I view their profiles. I have an age filter set, but the "Similar Users" doesn't use that, so I'll click on one of those and it'll be a cute, awesome person and oh god she's 20 she's totally going to think I'm creepy.

Take solace in the fact that she's too busy filtering "ur hot wanna fuck" messages out of her inbox to carefully scrutinize her profile views.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Calvin Klein's clothing?

I am presently wearing 2 articles of it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    I am finally watching The Host. Scott Wilson in the intro really weirded me out - it's a Korean movie, but there's Herschel, speaking English with no Korean subs.

Second thought, the compound bow some lady uses on TV is the coolest thing ever. She fires, then the whole thing like rolls down around her wrist.

Third thought AAAAAAAA MONSTAR

The Yumi?

It's really neat to watch people use one.

Here's an old, bald nerd demonstrating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ5qFbIgrcY

OMG FUCKING SHOOT THE ARROW ALREADY

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    AFFLUENZA.

This is... ridiculous. I had to check to make sure I wasn't reading The Onion.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/12/health/affluenza-youth/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

What isnt getting mentioned is that the kid has a huge fine to pay, the parents are also going to end up paying over 10 million in fines, and the kid is open to being sued by the parents. Because the kid was a minor, and the way the charges were brought up, this is basically the maximum that the judge could do legally. This is like the Mcdonalds hot coffee case, the lies are getting bigger and bigger and more confounding the more the story gets posted.

edit:
    The comments...lol
    Hey judge, have you heard of the Povuh-T Virus? It affects mostly inner city kids and it causes them to become criminals, drug pushers and prostitutes. The lack of jobs, parental supervision and after-school programs make them highly susceptible to this illness. I hear the affected have been known to hurt and kill a few people every now and then, if left untreated. But you know, it's not their fault - let's give them a lengthy probation too, so they can get better. Can you get on that as soon as you can?

Wait, what's that? That's different because they can't pay you off and their faces are a funny darkish color? Oh, Ok. MY BAD.

This is literally a defense used successfully in a ton of cases(at least in the 90's), including the same defendant charged with grand larceny on multiple occasions. He straight up said he did it, but the only skills in life, experience and environment he has was to steal for a living so he shouldn't be held accountable for his acctions. Juries agreed.several.times.

The internet outrage engine strikes again!

I mean

I'm either outraged at the judge or I'm outraged at the law

Because that kid should be in fucking prison

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

I have a Calvin Klein wool overcoat that I really like but wouldn't have bought except I had a bunch of gift cards and then had 70% off on top of that.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I am finally watching The Host. Scott Wilson in the intro really weirded me out - it's a Korean movie, but there's Herschel, speaking English with no Korean subs.

Second thought, the compound bow some lady uses on TV is the coolest thing ever. She fires, then the whole thing like rolls down around her wrist.

The Yumi?

Seriously. If it actually took that long to shoot, everyone would have laughed at the guy who made it.

• Options

If some stranger helped me and my wife get together in high school and then later on we had a kid that looked just like him, and looked nothing like me, I'd be looking at my wife a bit suspiciously.

Sidenote: the tell tale Back to the Future game is pretty good. Episode 1 is free in most places and you should play it if you enjoy old school adventure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AFFLUENZA.

What isnt getting mentioned is that the kid has a huge fine to pay, the parents are also going to end up paying over 10 million in fines, and the kid is open to being sued by the parents. Because the kid was a minor, and the way the charges were brought up, this is basically the maximum that the judge could do legally. This is like the Mcdonalds hot coffee case, the lies are getting bigger and bigger and more confounding the more the story gets posted.

You can't try a rich white kid as an adult in Texas?
    no but you can hold one in jail for threatening someone over LOL

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

double-briefing it eh

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    So It Goes wrote: »

The Yumi?

@mazzyx

(I'm going to be so embarrassed if I dropped an @ on the wrong bro )

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    AFFLUENZA.

edit:
    The comments...lol
    Hey judge, have you heard of the Povuh-T Virus? It affects mostly inner city kids and it causes them to become criminals, drug pushers and prostitutes. The lack of jobs, parental supervision and after-school programs make them highly susceptible to this illness. I hear the affected have been known to hurt and kill a few people every now and then, if left untreated. But you know, it's not their fault - let's give them a lengthy probation too, so they can get better. Can you get on that as soon as you can?

Wait, what's that? That's different because they can't pay you off and their faces are a funny darkish color? Oh, Ok. MY BAD.

This is literally a defense used successfully in a ton of cases(at least in the 90's), including the same defendant charged with grand larceny on multiple occasions. He straight up said he did it, but the only skills in life, experience and environment he has was to steal for a living so he shouldn't be held accountable for his acctions. Juries agreed.several.times.

I mean

Maybe. I dunno. 16?
    I get it, but Im not entirely sure I agree. It's a p fucked up situation.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    AFFLUENZA.

edit:
    The comments...lol

I mean

Why? Do you think prison will make it so other teenagers are less likely to drink and drive?

Or make it less likely that this teenager will drink and drive again?

Will the kind of person that comes out of prison at the end of their prison term be better than someone placed in a treatment facility?

• Options
    other things you can do in texas:

shoot a guy who is stealing your neighbors tv in the back as he runs away

kill a prostitute in an attempt to get your money back because she wouldn't have sex with you

TEXAS PLS

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    AFFLUENZA.

edit:
    The comments...lol

I mean

Why? Do you think prison will make it so other teenagers are less likely to drink and drive?

Will the kind of person that comes out of prison at the end of their prison term be better than someone placed in a treatment facility?

well to the second one, yes. for the period he's in prison anyway.

• Options
    AFFLUENZA.

edit:
    The comments...lol

I mean

Okay, in a more calm state that kid should be put into treatment.

Which, I believe, he is not being.

• Options
    TehSloth wrote: »

double-briefing it eh

Boxer briefs count as both boxers and briefs.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw Calvin Klein and immediately went to BTTF references in their head.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    DUE ya watching Torchwood?

Cause Jack isn't technically a regenerator or anything like that, he dies and then gets reset to his living state. So he could totally get hurt. D:

The worst was in Season 2 when
    he got buried alive. He'd suffocate, die, wake up a few seconds later, and repeat for a hundred years.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The death count on this CW show is so darn high. What is this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also the kid's parents should be slapped in the face three times just because it would make me feel better.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    What should have been that kid's sentence: 15 rounds with Chanus

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    AFFLUENZA.

Thats more complicated (which is a weasel answer for "I dont know". It is possible for Tx to try children as adults if I remember right). He didn't have a jury, basically went straight to the magistrate as those kinds of cases go. I suspect since it wasn't premeditated it would be hard to try him as an adult. People are focusing on his defense. His defense literally didn't matter in the judges decision, because the judge threw the book at him, as much as he could penalty wise. if it was a black poor kid in front of the same judge, that was the maximum thing that could have been done from how I understand the situation.
    AFFLUENZA.

Also, he may end up remanded to a treatment facility (The original story I read said he would serve his probation there), which is better than taking a 16 year old boy and giving him 2 decades of instruction in how to be maladjusted, violent and misanthropic while in prison.
    My understanding is he is being forced into some sort of program for drinking, but I dont know if that is just AA, or checked in somewhere.

The prosecution sought 20 years in prison. He was charged with intoxicated manslaughter as an adult. The maximum sentence for that is 20 years. The judge didn't even get into the ballpark of the maximum sentence. He did get the maximum fines. And the $10 million in fines represents the potential civil liability.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    the real outrage isn't that a guy who killed someone with a car isn't going to jail

like honestly that happens a lot

it's the excuse they used (or at least how they phrased it) which is fucking outrageous because a poor kid with horrible parents (or parents simply unable to be diligent and disciplinary because REASONS we can all think of) would never get the same result by saying "my parents didn't set limits for me"

So It Goes on
  • Options

I would probably spend two thirds of the rounds winded

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I've just discovered my new computer is shipping to my Parents' house rather than mine. Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Also the kid's parents should be slapped in the face three times just because it would make me feel better.

This I am okay with.

But I don't understand the end goal of prison as it stands. Turning people who make a mistake (Such as drinking and driving) into hardened criminals with a chip on their shoulder only works if the intention is every crime carries with it indefinite prison sentences.

• Options
    DUE ya watching Torchwood?

Cause Jack isn't technically a regenerator or anything like that, he dies and then gets reset to his living state. So he could totally get hurt. D:

The worst was in Season 2 when
    he got buried alive. He'd suffocate, die, wake up a few seconds later, and repeat for a hundred years.

Oh my goodness. I forgot about how good Torchwood is. There really needs to be a show about Captain Jack. But no.

He has a leading role in Arrow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also Jack was awesome and cheery despite having a cold. <3

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    AFFLUENZA.

Thats more complicated (which is a weasel answer for "I dont know". It is possible for Tx to try children as adults if I remember right). He didn't have a jury, basically went straight to the magistrate as those kinds of cases go. I suspect since it wasn't premeditated it would be hard to try him as an adult. People are focusing on his defense. His defense literally didn't matter in the judges decision, because the judge threw the book at him, as much as he could penalty wise. if it was a black poor kid in front of the same judge, that was the maximum thing that could have been done from how I understand the situation.
    AFFLUENZA.

Also, he may end up remanded to a treatment facility (The original story I read said he would serve his probation there), which is better than taking a 16 year old boy and giving him 2 decades of instruction in how to be maladjusted, violent and misanthropic while in prison.
    My understanding is he is being forced into some sort of program for drinking, but I dont know if that is just AA, or checked in somewhere.

The prosecution sought 20 years in prison. He was charged with intoxicated manslaughter as an adult. The maximum sentence for that is 20 years. The judge didn't even get into the ballpark of the maximum sentence. He did get the maximum fines. And the $10 million in fines represents the potential civil liability.

AH HAH

OUTRAGE RENEWED

• Options

I think the dude whose family he drunkenly homocided should get three free punches and a stack of personal training sessions so he can make them count.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Well, looks like Chick got it right

jmb8osp.png

Croissants

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

How do you like it? There's a pretty awesome deal I can get on a suit I like the look of, and they have it on my size. I'm still not ready for the new year party.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

I would probably spend two thirds of the rounds winded

I would train you. YOU WOULD EAT LIGHTNING AND CRAP THUNDER!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    A week after the near ordeal, Wentworth was again put in jeopardy of learning a lesson when he was nearly sentenced to 50 hours of community service. Tragedy was averted, however, when his mother paid a consultant to testify before the judge that Wentworth had suffered emotional trauma. Further, during this time, Wentworth was forced to put his video game on pause for several seconds in order to sign affidavits stating that the Breathalyzer was administered improperly.

"To think that I was that close to seeing that there is an entire society with its own laws and standards outside my protected sphere of wealth and privilege—it's frightening," Wentworth said. "It almost makes you consider your actions and their impact on others. Almost."

Cmon Onion, you need to make it more obvious that this is parody

Normally this would be solidly parody but reality has moved the window with him getting off scott free, you need to dial the notch a little more into crazy town

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    UPS appears to be capable of pettiness. A day after workman's comp contacts me, suddenly my paycheck is taken to a different city. Motherfuckers.

• Options

This I am okay with.

But I don't understand the end goal of prison as it stands. Turning people who make a mistake (Such as drinking and driving) into hardened criminals with a chip on their shoulder only works if the intention is every crime carries with it indefinite prison sentences.

Yeah, when I'm not giving in to my baser instincts, prison is a really dumb thing in most cases.

This discussion has been closed.