Options

joe [chat]

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i was screwed in 9th grade no matter what though, even if i hadnt been depressed and self destructive

one test in my world history class was to take a blank sheet of paper and draw africa

like, all the countries, and borders, and names, and relevant geographical landmarks

like wtf

Did you go to a school founded by cartographers?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The ACT is like, a weird foreign thing to me. None of the schools I looked at even asked for ACT scores. It'll forever be that other test that only the screwups in prep school had to take.

Its a Western school thing.

I didn't even take the SAT because I didn't have to.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    i was screwed in 9th grade no matter what though, even if i hadnt been depressed and self destructive

one test in my world history class was to take a blank sheet of paper and draw africa

like, all the countries, and borders, and names, and relevant geographical landmarks

like wtf

geeze how old are you

that sounds like something out of my parent's day

this was 2005

... graded on a curve?

ha

noooope

this dude was just not totally there

neither was my math teacher, she was literally insane

and my italian teacher was fully checked out on teaching, and my latin teacher it was their first year and they were way harder than they should've been compared to anything else

hell year

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Is the SAT II still a thing?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The ACT is like, a weird foreign thing to me. None of the schools I looked at even asked for ACT scores. It'll forever be that other test that only the screwups in prep school had to take.

Hm. That was me in Ohio. Didn't need the SAT if you went to a school in state.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    geography circa the 1960s used to be taught as a 'physical geography' and a 'human geography' component, and it had much less emphasis on natural processes and more emphasis on an encyclopaedic knowledge of geographical trivia

(which is understandable when you remember that plate tectonics was not accepted until the early 1960s)

the "draw Africa" stuff is understandable in that context. 2005 is a bit weird though

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    this guy just really loved africa

i think it was the focus of the entire year

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Its just the SAT test being done by a different company. When I lived in Boston, I wanted to go to Boston University for business but they wanted a SAT score instead of my ACT (I'm not sure why since they are the same fucking thing) so I never when to college but I spend 90% of my time on campus selling to the students.

• Options
    Ugh. I didn't even research colleges. I was just like

Oh isn't kent state where that famous thing happened? And said yes.

So emotionally stupid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I know, I was making a northeast snob joke but also it's totally true.

"What are you doing this weekend?"
    "Studying for the ACT"
    "Shit dude, I had no idea it was that bad! Is it really too late?!"

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    geography circa the 1960s used to be taught as a 'physical geography' and a 'human geography' component, and it had much less emphasis on natural processes and more emphasis on an encyclopaedic knowledge of geographical trivia

(which is understandable when you remember that plate tectonics was not accepted until the early 1960s)

the "draw Africa" stuff is understandable in that context. 2005 is a bit weird though

I had to do that for all the areas of the world (Europe, asia, Africa etc) in 7th grade
    we didn't have to freehand that shit al franken style though, it was just a blank map that we had to fill in countries for
    back when Zaire was on the map

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    I should have applied for Math or such at Oxbridge. I would have done well at it.

Or Economics at Cambridge instead, that would probably have worked too.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Chat I'm currently a little drunk at a bar and posting. I think my brother just told me hes not leaving here aka moving. So many conflicted feels

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

I had to do that for all the areas of the world in 7th grade

not you too! Who does this?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Ditto

of course I moved to a school where taking the SAT was completely unheard of my junior year so...

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I think though. I'll get a degree by the time I' am 30

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i really need to go to bed but i feel sick and i'm bloated from this pound of chipotle sitting in my gut

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

...my schools?

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    How long is your ACT score good for? I took mine when I was 18 and I'm 24 now. I might try to get into college for real since McDs is pretty dead end. And I don't want to get in the drug business again while I live in Alabama since I don't have connections.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Ugh. I didn't even research colleges. I was just like

Oh isn't kent state where that famous thing happened? And said yes.

So emotionally stupid.

My process was, "Hello, CAP Counselor, what's the closest place that isn't a community college?"

And that's how I wasted my life.

Edit: Actually, that's not true. It was more like "Where's your closest, cheapest state school?"

And I just sat there while my mother talked to the CAP counselor. I had essentially zero say in the manner.

I'll say this, though; the CSU system is ludicrously cheap, comparatively speaking. I graduated with no debt. I've heard that it was once considered to be one of the best school systems in the world; high-quality and affordable. It's still largely affordable. High-quality, though, well...

Gim on
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

...my schools?

so weird! Do they not think you can look at a map?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ACT is good for 5 years, i think. but it's also largely dependent on your school: at six years out of high school many colleges will stop asking for SAT/ACT scores (especially if they're not extremely selective)

• Options
    if it was filling in a map thats one thing

but having to draw the boundaries myself was insane. we didn't even get an africa outline!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

but having to draw the boundaries myself was insane. we didn't even get an africa outline!

nobody does that

cartographers don't even do that

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @spool32

I remember you mentioning some sort of feta stuffed chicken recipe in the holiday thread.

Mind throwing me that recipe and a Dummies guide?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

... did you forget to flip the paper around?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    did they fling NAME THE CAPITAL OF BENIN type questions at you too, because that's really antiquated

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    For real though, the ACT and the SAT test different things. The ACT is an achievement test and correlates strongly with grades achieved in school under a standard high school curriculum. The SAT is an aptitude test and correlates strongly with IQ instead. ACT drills easier, more concrete questions under time pressure. SAT gets more abstract and dabbles with skills you've never explicitly learned to see if you can intuit them while testing.

Most colleges these days use them to discard hopeless applicants but, since both tests can be taught to, ignore them in the decision-making process afterwards.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    i liked the old SAT because analogies were so fucking easy and useless that was like 100 points there

• Options
    what about the GRE

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i liked the old SAT because analogies were so fucking easy and useless that was like 100 points there

They got rid of those for my year.

Which sucked cuz I rocked them.

I did... well, regardless though so I guess I shouldn't complain.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    @spool32

I remember you mentioning some sort of feta stuffed chicken recipe in the holiday thread.

NP, stand by and I will repost.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The whole english section on the old SAT was just a festival free points if you were a word enthusiast and a fast reader. It tested absolutely nothing if you spent your free time reading books.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    im a pretty good writer but the essay was really vague and weird so i don't think i did particularly well on it. I did get in on the last year of the old test though

• Options
    what about the GRE

Also easily cheesed with clever studying, it turns out.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    if only SAT scores meant anything useful then i'd be less of a poophead turdbutt

poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i spent the last few hrs making a fakking okpoopid profile and it fakkin sux christ ughhh i hate this im so tired its 2am

poo
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    @spool32

NP, stand by and I will repost.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26923625/#Comment_26923625 ?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    i had to do the essay on my SAT that was so lame

F S As get it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    My essay on the GRE was so fucking weak. They asked some really weird, vague question that I had no idea where to run with. So I wrote this rambling, barely coherent rant about society holding back science or something. By the end I was convinced that the thesis was nonsense and all my arguments were v poor. I got a 3 on it, which is like: "3.) This person knows english and can form grammatical sentences".

Good enough for engineering school, thank god.

This discussion has been closed.