As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS4] Playstation NOW (Gaikai) is announced and detailed - Beta coming later this month

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtB70ZGnGao

Looks interesting. I got mixed feelings on the designs for the ladies.

Man, talk about a narrator killing my interest in a game.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I didn't see anything wrong with the lady's clothes. The armor part didn't look that realistic, but it's fine that it wasn't showing any skin. I don't mind if some of the outfits are basically bikinis but I'm glad at least some of them aren't! There is definitely something up with the below the waist shots - I counted about 5 male rear shots, 1 panning male crotch shot, and 1 panning female rear shot - and one very weird close up at waist level from the side of a man walking. It's fine I guess, I suppose they are trying to cover all the bases and include some eye candy for everyone.

I do think Lords of the Fallen looks more interesting though - but I'm most interested in Deep Down! If Lords of the Fallen comes out first though I will definitely be playing that.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Right after the terrible narrator mentions the companions, we see:

Comically large spilling out breasts in mage ladies battle outfit.
    A9klBoI.png?1

A panning shot of this lady's bare naked ass.
    zKcdS6t.png?1

Both of these are terrible designs to me.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    She is absolutely 100% wearing long pants. You can see the folds in the cloth in the image you posted! And in the immediately previous frame (2:04) you can clearly see the stitching of the pant running all the way down from the waist.

I'm not surprised you think the designs are horrible if you think they are naked when they are clearly wearing clothes.

I agree the narrator is horrible though.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Isn't the second lady suppossed to be wearing pants in another screenshot?

Also, they are fighting the "7 Ice Lords". Are those guys on a crusade against warm clothing? :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I didn't see anything wrong with the lady's clothes. The armor part didn't look that realistic, but it's fine that it wasn't showing any skin. I don't mind if some of the outfits are basically bikinis but I'm glad at least some of them aren't! There is definitely something up with the below the waist shots - I counted about 5 male rear shots, 1 panning male crotch shot, and 1 panning female rear shot - and one very weird close up at waist level from the side of a man walking. It's fine I guess, I suppose they are trying to cover all the bases and include some eye candy for everyone.

I do think Lords of the Fallen looks more interesting though - but I'm most interested in Deep Down! If Lords of the Fallen comes out first though I will definitely be playing that.

My take on the sexist tone for the women (and I really don't want to start that argument again) is that it depends on the setting itself. Basically if it follows through and is shown as an innate part of the realm, I don't have an issue with it. If there's no background to it at all and is clearly there just to pander to young males, then there's a problem.

People don't call out the sexist overtones of shows like Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones, because their setting or era is consistent with the ideals, and there's almost always exceptions to the stereotype brought to the forefront. The Witcher is a game series that also treads that line very well. I need more info to know if Bound by Flame uses it right or wrong.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    I'm not a prude. All I'm saying is that it could be more tasteful. That's all.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm not going to accept full blame for thinking the lady is naked when they put her in the tightest flesh tone pants they could possibly choose. Looks exactly like her ass. I thought for sure she was wearing some weird thong deal. There's no need for her pants to be that tight in the first place, but I can deal with it. I noticed you didn't have any defense for the mage's double Ds spilling out of her top while she does battle. =P

The terrible narrator's use of the word companions as they show the two women and then he kisses one of them also gives me a vibe that the game could be going for a pick one of 5 women to bang and otherwise they'll have no distinguishing characteristics beyond how sexy they are thing, but it's way too early to make those assumptions.

The worst thing about that trailer to me is how bad the combat looks to be honest. Around the 1:30 mark they start "showing off" the combat and it looks so bad. Floaty character models, and when he does the 2 handed upward backstab thing and the enemy just ragdoll flies away like he ran into him with a car just look comically awful.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I think tight flesh colored pants should make a comeback. These jeans are too loose IMO

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I'm not going to accept full blame for thinking the lady is naked when they put her in the tightest flesh tone pants they could possibly choose. Looks exactly like her ass. I thought for sure she was wearing some weird thong deal. There's no need for her pants to be that tight in the first place, but I can deal with it. I noticed you didn't have any defense for the mage's double Ds spilling out of her top while she does battle. =P

As I'm neither an 18th Century New England Puritan nor a 19th century Victorian Prude, I don't consider that they need a defense :p At least it makes more sense on a mage than on a physical fighter. And close fitting pants is exactly what I would expect to see on a fighter - you wouldn't want billowy fabric that could get caught on things.

I will concur that if she was wearing a weird thong deal then the dress decisions would be highly questionable indeed so I can definitely understand your initial reaction.
    The worst thing about that trailer to me is how bad the combat looks to be honest. Around the 1:30 mark they start "showing off" the combat and it looks so bad. Floaty character models, and when he does the 2 handed upward backstab thing and the enemy just ragdoll flies away like he ran into him with a car just look comically awful.

Definitely agree with you on this. I watched the Fallen Lords trailer immediately after and the combat and character movement just looked SO much better in the latter game.

Hell Kingdoms of Amalur had way better looking combat and that was by no means a great game.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NerfMeQuickNerfMeQuick Registered User regular
    I'd also like to confirm for anybody who might not know that if you have Playstation plus, you can in fact pre-buy the free games for systems you don't yet own. Last week I went on the playstation store website(can't do it from PS3 for PS4 games obviously) and purchased Resogun and Don't Starve. Then yesterday when I got my PS4, I downloaded them straight away. Actually, after I set up the system they were already ready to immediately start downloading which was nice.

Will this work if you pre-buy a game that is removed from IGC before getting the console?

I did this with Don't Starve before it was removed, but my PS4 won't be delivered until tomorrow, most likely (thanks, Snow!).

Steam/PSN: TrigenarianGamer
  • Options
    I'd also like to confirm for anybody who might not know that if you have Playstation plus, you can in fact pre-buy the free games for systems you don't yet own. Last week I went on the playstation store website(can't do it from PS3 for PS4 games obviously) and purchased Resogun and Don't Starve. Then yesterday when I got my PS4, I downloaded them straight away. Actually, after I set up the system they were already ready to immediately start downloading which was nice.

Will this work if you pre-buy a game that is removed from IGC before getting the console?

I did this with Don't Starve before it was removed, but my PS4 won't be delivered until tomorrow, most likely (thanks, Snow!).

As long as you 'bought' it before it was removed it should work just fine.

If you buy a new console, you can immediately load up all the old IGC games you bought in the past. They'll all still be in your 'downloads' list.

Now, on the PS3, that list has no sort options at all and is horrendously difficult to navigate. I haven't tried on the PS4 but hopefully the list will be short enough to not make it difficult.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    "It might help that you are being possessed by a flame demon!".

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

If you buy a new console, you can immediately load up all the old IGC games you bought in the past. They'll all still be in your 'downloads' list.

Now, on the PS3, that list has no sort options at all and is horrendously difficult to navigate. I haven't tried on the PS4 but hopefully the list will be short enough to not make it difficult.

You can always just search for whatever title you want to go back and download too, it'll have the little shopping bag next to it instead of a price if you've "bought" it before for free via PS Plus. Beats scrolling through the download history.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular

Oh we have all seen FAR FAR worse than this... I found the lady designs a little tame

they are trying to make them attractive with them not being dressed like strippers

• Options
    MLB 14 the show coming to PS4 in May
    New features include
    Quick Counts mode created to get you through a full nine innings in 30 minutes
    A year-to-year saves system that will allow you to carry over your saves to next year's game.
    Cross-platform saves across PS3, PS4, and PS Vita.
    Evolution of Road to the Show mode - more details later.
    Community Challenges including moments from history and the present alike.
    Universal Profile system that tracks player tendencies.
    Online Franchise mode that features multi-season play.

SOLD on that year to year saves feature... Very Mass Effect inspired lol

Screens:
    MLB14-4.jpg
    MLB14-6.jpg
    MLB14-2.jpg
    MLB14-7.jpg

• Options
    NerfMeQuickNerfMeQuick Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

Pretty sure my PS4 download list will be: Don't Starve, Outlast, Warframe. So, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm thinking about buying AC4 digitally as well. All PS4 discs require an install, right? So I'm not saving any disc space if I go with a physical copy instead?

NerfMeQuick on
    Steam/PSN: TrigenarianGamer
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    zllehs wrote: »

Oh we have all seen FAR FAR worse than this... I found the lady designs a little tame

they are trying to make them attractive with them not being dressed like strippers

Don't get me wrong, I like them. But in the days of the "Blurred Lines" controversy this is Kotaku clickbait material.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    jeffinva wrote: »

lmao... yes that narrators lines were terrible but the game does sound interesting

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Kind of disappointed in those MLB screens...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    All PS4 discs require an install, right? So I'm not saving any disc space if I go with a physical copy instead?

That is correct.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Nik Huze wrote: »
    All PS4 discs require an install, right? So I'm not saving any disc space if I go with a physical copy instead?

That is correct.

There's a slight advantage to going Physical in install time. A few seconds vs maybe an hour.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    MLB 14 the show coming to PS4 in May
    New features include
    Quick Counts mode created to get you through a full nine innings in 30 minutes
    A year-to-year saves system that will allow you to carry over your saves to next year's game.
    Cross-platform saves across PS3, PS4, and PS Vita.
    Evolution of Road to the Show mode - more details later.
    Community Challenges including moments from history and the present alike.
    Universal Profile system that tracks player tendencies.
    Online Franchise mode that features multi-season play.

SOLD on that year to year saves feature... Very Mass Effect inspired lol

Screens:
    MLB14-4.jpg
    MLB14-6.jpg
    MLB14-2.jpg
    MLB14-7.jpg

The Red Sox have moved Fenway Park from Boston to Uncanny Valley, eh? :) Looks good.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    The Red Sox have moved Fenway Park from Boston to Uncanny Valley, eh? :) Looks good.
    To be fair, I always found professional athletes to be a little creepy and off-putting when viewing them on the TV. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »

lmao... yes that narrators lines were terrible but the game does sound interesting

It's not just the lines, his delivery was awful. A bad fit all around.

Also, what in the hell kind of way did he pronounce heroic? 'herorrick abilities'?!?! (it's around the 33 second mark)
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Nik Huze wrote: »

That is correct.

There's a slight advantage to going Physical in install time. A few seconds vs maybe an hour.

Yes, but if you go digital you avoid the inconvenience of housing all those discs and switching around when you want to play something different.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I would love to go all digital this generation. In fact, I had planned on it.

But it turns out that the backwater I moved into has a data cap that makes that laughably impractical.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yes, but if you go digital you avoid the inconvenience of housing all those discs and switching around when you want to play something different.

Is it really all that inconvenient? I mean, I switch my consoles on via the eject button now anyway since there's a chance there's a movie in there. If there is, or a different game, I grab the game I want and put it in.

But then, I have a few things going for me with using physical disks - I almost never decide to keep gaming but swap games. I play what I want to play at that moment and then turn it off when I'm done. I keep my games in a drawer beneath my TV, and never have games wander around in different cases.

I thought about going Digital this generation, but I realized physical disks just don't irritate me, and I enjoy collecting games in cases. There's exceptions - I'll totally get a digital edition of a game if Sony are giving it to me for free. Most of my Vita collection is from PS+ at the moment. I've got a serious amount of awesome PS3 games to play once I download them from PS+, and have digital versions of Contrast, Resogun and Outlast because Sony didn't want me to pay for them.

But going digital on the basis of having to swap disks or disks being otherwise inconvenient I just don't get.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I would love to go all digital this generation. In fact, I had planned on it.

But it turns out that the backwater I moved into has a data cap that makes that laughably impractical.

Yeah, my internet connection speed is so dire that it's incredibly impractical (probably a week for something of the size of Killzone, took 4 days or so for FIFA and NFS:Rivals) even though we don't get data caps. When Fibre broadband comes in 3 months that'll remove that obstacle.

However you'll find that Amazon will quite often have the game for cheaper in physical than it is in the playstation store. Lego Marvel Super Heroes I got for less than half the price.

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Wasn't planning to go all-digital this generation, but now kinda leaning that direction to keep the few new games I pick up consistent with all the free stuff Sony is loading me down with on Plus.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The convenience of having all my stuff on the PS3 without having to change discs would do that, but bandwidth limits basically prevent me doing that.

But if I ever get enough bandwidth, it would be hugely tempting but I also like the human interaction I get at the store I go to.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

So what's coming out in the next couple of months other than Thief? Octodad, Mercenary Kings?

Achire on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Boobs are awesome. It sounds like you guys just hate boobs. Why do you hate boobs?!

• Options
    Maybe I'm wierd, but I want a couple games on disc and then everything else digital.

Like, if EVERY game involves me switching a disc, that gets obnoxious. But if I have two games on disc, I can leave the disc in there and I only have to swap if I want to play the other disc based game.

And then I have some games to loan/trade with friends. Plus I just like having a couple actual physical discs laying around.

Lately I've been leaving warframe running on the PS4 while playing something on the PS3 and switching back over to the PS4 whenever the right type of alert comes up :D That's even MORE convenient!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

So what's coming out in the next couple of months other than Thief? Octodad, Mercenary Kings?

Stridet HD, Infamous, MGS.

• Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    Can we talk about how scary Outlast is? I can only play it five minutes at a time.

As soon as I downloaded it, I turned off all of the lights and my wife watched me play it. Right at the first jump-scare I said "Well this can fuck right off!" and switched to Netflix.
    I've had it for about five days and am only 20 minutes into it.

it's so scary

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I played about 10 minutes with my daughter on Saturday, I basically made it into the stupid asylum and then just said "forget this" and turned it off while my kid called me a pansy.

NO REGRETS!

• Options
    Play with the sound off and it's no longer scary!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    Do you ever get a weapon? I don't know if that would make me feel better about it, but I am curious if it's basically just a "run and hide when you see something scary" game.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    darqness wrote: »
    Do you ever get a weapon? I don't know if that would make me feel better about it, but I am curious if it's basically just a "run and hide when you see something scary" game.

No, and the game gets significantly less frightening after the first hour or so. If you can make it past that, you're good.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    darqness wrote: »
    Can we talk about how scary Outlast is? I can only play it five minutes at a time.

As soon as I downloaded it, I turned off all of the lights and my wife watched me play it. Right at the first jump-scare I said "Well this can fuck right off!" and switched to Netflix.
    I've had it for about five days and am only 20 minutes into it.

it's so scary

Literally did the same exact thing. Netflix and all.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
This discussion has been closed.