Options

[chat]en tenders for lunch

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Men beating up the guys who sleep with their missus isn't about assigning blame, it's about male feelings of ownership, public image, following established routes of action, feeling emasculated or whatever and so forth.

No it's not. It's about getting revenge, about getting even with a guy who wronged you. It may not be the most noble of sentiments, but it's definitely one we can all understand and relate to. Well, all of us who won't sit in chat and lie about having never had an urge to beat the crap out of someone who's wronged us badly in some way.

And being upset that your girlfriend/wife cheated on you to the point you'd feel violent has nothing to do with "male feelings of ownership" of women. Trust and faithfulness in a relationship is not ownership, and the devastating hurt you feel when that trust is betrayed in the most horrible way by the person you entrusted the most is not due to some archaic established male-female power relation.

So I guess you saw that first bit of my post, fell into a blind, violent rage and didn't bother reading further?

Want to add some bits there to take the place of the 'whatever and so forth'? Go right ahead. The point I was addressing was someone saying going after the other guy was weird because he wasn't the only one to blame.

I have read your entire post. It's quoted in its intact entirety right there before mine.

The guy who did the cheating is not the only one to blame, for sure, but he is one of those to blame (assuming he had a way of knowing or suspecting the girl was in a relationship), and there's nothing weird about assigning blame to him. What's weird is you dismissing that as only due to some archaic feelings of male ownership of women, rather than due to the very real betrayal of trust one person had in another.

Or, you know, the other stuff I said, like following established routes of action for that kind of situation, like hitting things because you're mad or hurt and when you've been hurt you just gotta hit something.

But you want to hit the other guy because your spouse betrayed your trust? Unless this other guy is a friend of yours he's betrayed jack shit in the way of your trust, and you're just hitting him to make yourself feel better. Which, you know, is kinda dumb.

Regardless of whether he "betrayed your trust", he acted with no consideration for you in a way that makes your life worse to his benefit. That's punch worthy.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Durability in zombie games is a stupid mechanic.

Allllmost as stupid as needing to rest / eat.

Agreed, unless eating is just quick health/mana boosters.

So many developers mistake games for tedium simulators. I honestly am shocked that it's still so prevalent.

Pretty sure @Chanus owns Tedium Simulator Gold 2014

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    nINT8PWF1UAT2.gifno fucks to givenINT8PWF1UAT2.gif

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    It doesn't get blocked for me.
    Maybe it's because I'm connected through an EDU.
    And they send us their giant ass papers every week.

Copy and paste the text.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I disconnected with one of my closest friends from high school because he apparently thought my house was a totally cool place to bring girls to cheat on his girlfriend/fiance/wife.

I would come home and he'd already be there with some random girl and I'm all :|

So I told his wife one day, and he never spoke to me again. They had three kids in the next five years and then he divorced her.

o_O

i've seen that happen

people for some reason rationalize that having kids will make things better and tie you both together and not introduce more stress into the relationship

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    not all tedious things are pointless in games imo

upkeep makes sense to me especially in a simulator of any kind

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    To commemorate my "making it" I am going to purchase a Jesus Piece. Gold. Maybe platinum.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Here is your giant ass wall of text.
    For Some Elite Colleges, It's Advanced Placement vs. Gen-Ed
    By Dan Berrett

When the College of William & Mary announced recently that it was adopting new general-education courses, it also made sure all of its students would take them.

That’s because students entering in the fall of 2015 will no longer receive credits for the Advanced Placement examinations that many high-achieving students take in high school and that would previously have satisfied the Virginia college's core requirements.

In doing so, William & Mary joined a small list of elite institutions that have become increasingly choosy about AP exams, which, like International Baccalaureate tests, colleges have long used to award credit to students in recognition of their advanced achievement in various subject areas.

The change also reflects a broader shift among colleges that are seeking to retool general-education curricula to make them emphasize intellectual skills instead of chiefly transmitting a body of knowledge through traditional survey courses.

The curricular changes at William & Mary affect courses taken during all four years of college, from the introductory level to capstone courses. The goal is to deliberately integrate disciplines, areas of knowledge, and ways of thinking—a process that previously tended to occur haphazardly, said Michael R. Halleran, the college’s provost. Most AP courses are not designed to draw connections between disciplines, either.

Mr. Halleran gave an example of how a course might change at his institution. As a classicist, he has long taught an introduction to Greek tragedy, but it will be revised. In its place: a course that weaves in literature, religion, and anthropology. "It’s thinking beyond the discipline," he said. "Not even the best AP and IB courses do that."

RELATED CONTENT
    More Students Take AP Tests, but Racial Gaps Persist
    Unlike other institutions that have recently changed their policies on AP credits, William & Mary wasn’t worried about the quality of AP and IB courses, Mr. Halleran said. Students there are awarded an average of 16 credits for exams they took in high school, and they can still receive college credit for them as electives and for certain departmental requirements.

Vanderbilt University’s College of Arts and Science similarly chose to restrict its policies for accepting AP credits in 2005, when it revised its general-education requirements. Faculty members capped at 18 the number of credits students could claim through AP exams. Vanderbilt’s college also stopped accepting those credits as replacements for required courses.

"There is one clear thing going on here," said Karen E. Campbell, senior associate dean for undergraduate education at the college, which is Vanderbilt’s largest. "We want students who graduate with a bachelor’s degree from Vanderbilt’s College of Arts and Science to have a Vanderbilt College of Arts and Science education."

Some supporters of Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate programs argue that the small, advanced-level courses taken in high school can offer a better educational experience than the introductory ones that students sit through in college. At Vanderbilt, large survey courses remain in place. Instead of testing out of macroeconomics by taking an AP course in high school, for example, a student at Vanderbilt might take an entry-level course with several hundred students.

"It’s not ideal," Ms. Campbell said, adding that faculty members were using technology, such as clickers, to make large lectures more interactive than they had been in the past.

Trend in the Other Direction
    Vanderbilt’s decision to be more stringent in accepting AP credits reflected college officials' concerns about the rigor of AP courses, said Ms. Campbell.

Dartmouth College reached a similar conclusion last year, when it announced a more-sweeping decision. Starting this fall, it will not bestow credit for any AP exams.

"Ultimately, we would like a Dartmouth education to take place at Dartmouth," a spokesman said at the time.

But such policies are outliers, limited to a handful of highly selective institutions, said David T. Conley, chief executive officer of the Educational Policy Improvement Center, which conducts research on and raises awareness of college and career preparedness. The center also does consulting work for the College Board, the company that administers the AP.

Colleges are under increasing pressure to graduate more students while containing costs. Policy makers tout programs like the AP as benefiting institutions and students alike.

"The national trend is still in the other direction, which is for students to take more AP exams, score better, and receive college credits for them," Mr. Conley, who is also a professor of education at the University of Oregon, said in an email.

Indeed, the number of AP exams taken by high-school students has nearly doubled over the past decade, with more than one million students in the class that graduated last year having taken at least one, according to the College Board. (See a related article.)

And the number of colleges accepting AP credits shows little change. About 1 percent to 3 percent of colleges’ policies get modified each year, said Deborah Davis, director of college-readiness communications for the College Board. About 99 percent of colleges surveyed by the company grant credit for at least one AP exam, she said.

Federal data also show colleges' acceptance of AP credits holding steady since 2004-5, the earliest year for which such information is available through the National Center for Education Statistics. In 2012-13, about 78 percent of degree-granting four-year institutions accepted those credits, up just slightly from 76 percent eight years before.

Still, the changes taking effect at a few institutions do reflect a different sort of trend: the desire to improve general-education curricula so that they prod students to think deeply and critically about subjects in addition to transmitting content, said Carol Geary Schneider, president of the Association of American Colleges and Universities, which studies curricula and advocates for the liberal arts.

It is a continuing effort. The authors of "General Education in the 21st Century," a 2007 report commissioned by the University of California, cautioned that while AP courses were "generally positive in impact, these practices nonetheless raise new issues concerning the nature and quality of collegiate general education."

The authors called for faculty members to scrutinize the content and level of AP courses and exams to make sure they were consistent with the mission and goals of their institutions’ general-education curricula.

But many AP courses may not fit into a changing notion of what general-education courses are supposed to accomplish, said Ms. Schneider. AP courses typically offer a broad survey of a discipline, she said, and their goal is often to convey large chunks of content. While some AP courses help students learn how to think or to reason in complex ways, not all do.

"It may or may not include the kinds of inquiry-driven practices and deep investigations that high-quality schools see as essential for their students’ learning," she said. "It’s not just ‘What’s the course covering' but ‘What’s the educational strategy?’"

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

i love how all these prove that when the going gets tough people either want to troll everybody or eat FRIED STUFF

GOD BLESS FRYING

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »

THIS CONTENT IS AVAILABLE ONLY TO SUBSCRIBERS TO THE CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION

paywalls are fucking stupid, but I know at least one way that incoming college freshmen are getting fucked: They have to pay for bullshit like this.

looking at the little blurb thing, it appears one college is going to stop accepting ap credits and instead force kids to take all their general electives

presumably to make those dollars

I took several courses at UW while in high school. My undergrad didn't let me transfer any of them because lol $$$$.

At least I wasn't forced to retake them but since Engineering degrees require X amount of math I still had to take extra courses. Such bullshit.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I would love to play an RPG where roughly 80% of my time isn't spent repairing gear, crafting, and organizing my items.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

I thought these were actual pictures at first and I was real mad that the first person asked for apple pie and got the shitty mcdonald's version

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Durability in zombie games is a stupid mechanic.

Allllmost as stupid as needing to rest / eat.

Agreed, unless eating is just quick health/mana boosters.

So many developers mistake games for tedium simulators. I honestly am shocked that it's still so prevalent.

The Sims gotta eat. The Sims gotta exercise. The Sims gotta poop. A tedium simulator is the best-selling PC franchise of all time so maybe that sways devs a little.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    it's pretty hilarious watching the online reactions to the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer

especially among non-comic book fans who had never heard of this series and only knew it as "Marvel's new superhero movie"

and they're like what is this, it looks completely insane

kompletely awesum

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2014
    I think I remember reading something about last meals and how lots of people don't get what they want because, well, getting hold of some fucking kiwi fruit in Arizona in December is pretty hard and the cook here doesn't know how to make a decent lamb pathi curry, so here's a nice burger.

Bogart on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness

Today is a good day

How are we all today, chat?

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

there's tedious but also fairly important shit like building pylons, supply depots, and overlords in sc — they all have excellent secondary uses and important, immediate effects

and then there's spreading creep

ugggh

• Options
    "You cheated on me. You hurt me. You weren't forthcoming about it and I had to hear about it from someone else. But I forgive you. Let's celebrate by having unprotected sex."

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    London zoo is a tad disappointing. Discuss.

Also: Working at platform 9 3/4 seems terrible. One of them did sort of look like Daniel Radcliffe if he lost control of his weight

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    "You cheated on me. You hurt me. You weren't forthcoming about it and I had to hear about it from someone else. But I forgive you. Let's celebrate by having unprotected sex."

I understand why people have kids after that to some degree

but I also think it's kind of a mental illness

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    @Deebaser do you actually want me to look into something for you? I'd be fine, I usually get off work at like 3, so hitting up places around here before the end of the work day isn't actually hard.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Also: Working at platform 9 3/4 seems terrible. One of them did sort of look like Daniel Radcliffe if he lost control of his weight

How do they do the hologram thing?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Dont ever change Fox News
    Alleged serial killer Miranda Harbour apparently liked Dark Souls. Not one to be unattentive to important details, Fox News picked up on it and included it in their coverage. Because of course they did.

Bg2aS1iCIAEtHNK.jpg

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    wats good GoG to read

i read the marvel annihilation thing but thats the only cosmic marvel i read

poo
  • Options
    So fucking hungry
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    I totally ate an entire cup of chobani for breakfast.
    And like a 1/4 of a bottled water

WHY ISNT THIS ENOUGH FOR YOU GLUTTONOUS BODY

whhhhyyyyyy
    *sob*

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Now, frustration over Dark Souls. That's a reason for random violence I can understand.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I disconnected with one of my closest friends from high school because he apparently thought my house was a totally cool place to bring girls to cheat on his girlfriend/fiance/wife.

I would come home and he'd already be there with some random girl and I'm all :|

So I told his wife one day, and he never spoke to me again. They had three kids in the next five years and then he divorced her.

@Atomika

Damn.

I went through something similar, though not so extreme.
    My college roommate-old hometown friend, too-never technically physically cheated, but I think his behavior was still pretty awful.

When we moved to college, he kept telling his longtime high school girlfriend that he loved her, that he wanted to date her long-distance through college, whatever else she wanted to hear, so that she would keep sleeping with him whenever he felt like making the drive for it.

At the same time, he was sending out well over one hundred facebook messages to random freshmen girls at our college, saying things like, "Hey what's up, you want to hang out sometime?" And if he got any kind of bite then he would get the girl's number, flirt with her, ask for a date, whatever.

Eventually one of these girls agreed to date him, so he immediately broke up with his girlfriend by text message and refused to speak with her again. She was devastated, and almost immediately fell into self-destructive drug habits to try and cope.

I felt compelled to tell his new girlfriend what she was getting herself into, which ruined my friendship with the guy, but that friendship was not exactly a valued thing at that point, either.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Guns don't kill people. Violent video games kill people.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

How do they do the hologram thing?

What hologram thing? They have the four Hogwarts scarves and a baggage trolley. You pretend to push the later through the wall while your disappointed boyfriend takes a photo on his phone and fatty Radcliffe holds the scarf to make it look like it's flowing

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I would love to play an RPG where roughly 80% of my time isn't spent repairing gear, crafting, and organizing my items.

Grimrock. Most JRPGs. Most non-Bethesda RPGs, actually.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    and that one ep of earths mightiest heroes that had teh guardians

poo
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

True, but I don't need Skyrim to be a "medieval drudgery simulator."

It needs to be a "Kill things by yelling at them simulator, featuring swordplay."

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    wats good GoG to read

i read the marvel annihilation thing but thats the only cosmic marvel i read

I'm told this is useful:
    o59mRJH.jpg

Tamin on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Deebaser do you actually want me to look into something for you? I'd be fine, I usually get off work at like 3, so hitting up places around here before the end of the work day isn't actually hard.

@Delmain I was venting out of frustrate.
    Please do not burn down their offices.
    I would like to make this crystal clear to any true detectives out there: I WAS NOT SOLICITING ARSON-4-HIRE

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck @bogart @poshniallo @jacobkosh @mazzyx @simonwolf @comics and zine hipsters generally

Recent nerd stuff re: comix

Collima Speed:
    12199933686_39b01d1b7b.jpg

Scuzzi (not a comic -- more an ode to 70s-80s computers and games with cool printing techniques. Super pretty.):

yxiheyw.jpg

Reich:
    tIOIczC.jpg

It Will All Hurt:
    KCoUhDZl.jpg

Nurse Nurse:
    c_nn1_07.jpg

• Options
    it'd be a somewhat humorous turn of events if foxnews et al started advocating against difficult games instead of violent ones

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

THIS CONTENT IS AVAILABLE ONLY TO SUBSCRIBERS TO THE CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION

paywalls are fucking stupid, but I know at least one way that incoming college freshmen are getting fucked: They have to pay for bullshit like this.

looking at the little blurb thing, it appears one college is going to stop accepting ap credits and instead force kids to take all their general electives

presumably to make those dollars

yeah that is some BS. It's not just one college either... one of the things the daughter looked for specifically was a promise that they would accept AP tests as credit hours.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

As much as I found it kind of a jarring change. I think ME2 and 3 ditching the inventory / upgrade system of ME was one of the best decisions they could have made.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    it's pretty hilarious watching the online reactions to the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer

especially among non-comic book fans who had never heard of this series and only knew it as "Marvel's new superhero movie"

and they're like what is this, it looks completely insane

That's my reaction.

• Options
    GOT IT DEEBS

I TOTALLY DID NOT BURN DOWN ANY OFFICES TODAY

*wink* *wink*

This discussion has been closed.