Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm trying to install Linux on my new laptop; I usually know what I'm doing but this shit is driving me crazy. (I'm using Fedora 20; I'm usually a Debian fan but it looks like Fedora is one of the only distros with a non-bullshit implementation of Secure Boot).

It has the nVidia Optimus setup (or whatever they're calling it this week) where there's an Intel card and a nVidia card and the nVidia card blits into the intel card's framebuffer for 3d apps, or something. Anyway, long story short, the nouveau driver causes the laptop to never wake up from suspend. (Or rather, it wakes up for a single frame and then freezes so hard that the caps lock key doesn't toggle the LED).

Now, I can turn off the nvidia graphics and set it to intel-only in the UEFI firmware menu, and then everything works. But I'm dual-booting with Windows 8 -- the usual setup, where I play video games in Windows and do development and homework and such in Linux. I don't need the good graphics card in Linux but I'd like to have it in Windows, and I'd prefer not to have to dick around with the firmware menu every time I switch. tl;dr: How do I get Fedora to only use the intel graphics and not the nvidia graphics, without disabling it at the firmware level? I tried blacklisting the nouveau driver in /etc/modprobe.d but it didn't seem to work.

I don't want to install the proprietary nvidia driver because that will cause a cascade of headaches with UEFI Secure Boot.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I'm trying to install Linux on my new laptop; I usually know what I'm doing but this shit is driving me crazy. (I'm using Fedora 20; I'm usually a Debian fan but it looks like Fedora is one of the only distros with a non-bullshit implementation of Secure Boot).

It has the nVidia Optimus setup (or whatever they're calling it this week) where there's an Intel card and a nVidia card and the nVidia card blits into the intel card's framebuffer for 3d apps, or something. Anyway, long story short, the nouveau driver causes the laptop to never wake up from suspend. (Or rather, it wakes up for a single frame and then freezes so hard that the caps lock key doesn't toggle the LED).

Now, I can turn off the nvidia graphics and set it to intel-only in the UEFI firmware menu, and then everything works. But I'm dual-booting with Windows 8 -- the usual setup, where I play video games in Windows and do development and homework and such in Linux. I don't need the good graphics card in Linux but I'd like to have it in Windows, and I'd prefer not to have to dick around with the firmware menu every time I switch. tl;dr: How do I get Fedora to only use the intel graphics and not the nvidia graphics, without disabling it at the firmware level? I tried blacklisting the nouveau driver in /etc/modprobe.d but it didn't seem to work.

I don't want to install the proprietary nvidia driver because that will cause a cascade of headaches with UEFI Secure Boot.

You need to install something called "bumblebee". It works great and provides dynamic switching for 3D acceleration. http://bumblebee-project.org/

• Options
    edited January 2014

You need to install something called "bumblebee". It works great and provides dynamic switching for 3D acceleration. http://bumblebee-project.org/

Just tried it. Doesn't seem to solve my problem, sadly. The "nouveau" module is still loaded even when Bumblebee isn't using the card, and if the module is loaded when resuming from suspend, it freezes.

(Also, the part where you actually run 3D stuff with it with "optirun" doesn't seem to work either, but I'll debug that later.)

edit: Got the blacklist to stick by adding "rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau" to the boot options in Grub. Seems to work for now. I'll figure out how to make the card actually work later (the HDMI out is hardwired to it, I believe) but this'll get me through class tomorrow.

Daedalus on
  • Options

Just tried it. Doesn't seem to solve my problem, sadly. The "nouveau" module is still loaded even when Bumblebee isn't using the card, and if the module is loaded when resuming from suspend, it freezes.

(Also, the part where you actually run 3D stuff with it with "optirun" doesn't seem to work either, but I'll debug that later.)

edit: Got the blacklist to stick by adding "rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau" to the boot options in Grub. Seems to work for now. I'll figure out how to make the card actually work later (the HDMI out is hardwired to it, I believe) but this'll get me through class tomorrow.

Yeah it doesn't work with nouveau - Nvidia binaries only.

The Ubuntu package is really polished - I installed it on my laptop and haven't had to worry about it since.

• Options
    If I load any unsigned modules I'll need to disable Secure Boot (which I don't want to do), or jump through the hoops of signing them myself and adding that key to the MOK list or something, which I'll probably end up doing eventually I guess.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

The Ubuntu package is really polished - I installed it on my laptop and haven't had to worry about it since.

I'm about to wipe Windows and switch to Ubuntu, and this optimus issue is the one that I feel is going to cause the most issues.

Should I force it to integrated while installing and then switch it up, or should I keep it on the optimus setting in the bios?

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »

I'm about to wipe Windows and switch to Ubuntu, and this optimus issue is the one that I feel is going to cause the most issues.

Should I force it to integrated while installing and then switch it up, or should I keep it on the optimus setting in the bios?

It'll work fine with optimus enabled in the bios - it'll just default to Nvidia until you install bumblebee.

• Options
    Does bumblebee install the requisite drivers? Or is that something that needs to be done manually?

• Options
    Does bumblebee install the requisite drivers? Or is that something that needs to be done manually?

Automatic - it'll install nvidia-current for you.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, if anyone was interested in Crunchbang 11, I'd like to caution that it was an absolute pain to install. Using dd to create the bootable USB driver never worked once for me (would never boot), finally got a bootable drive using pendrivelinux's UUI tool, installer couldn't "find" the CDRom (workaround: mount /dev/sdb /cdrom), installer couldn't install grub (workaround: exit installer, boot live session, setup chroot environment, apt-get install grub-pc), had to clean up post-install tasks that didn't complete due to exiting the installer early (like populating sources.list, creating a user account, who knows what else still needs to be done).

The most frustrating part is that every issue I ran into, I'd google and find a Crunchbang forum thread full of responses saying "make the USB with dd and it'll work". Ugh! Frustrating.

In any event, I'm not passing judgment on the OS itself yet, but the installer is poop from a butt and you should be prepared for bad times if you try it.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Did you try Unetbootin? I've never personally had any issue with it and making a bootable USB stick of older Crunchbang's.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I used these cli instructions to copy cb 11 to usb.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    Did you try Unetbootin? I've never personally had any issue with it and making a bootable USB stick of older Crunchbang's.
    Unetbootin wouldn't make a bootable drive, no. However, at one point, I made a Xubuntu boot to test, which worked, so I used unetbootin to write crunch on top of Xubuntu, and ended up with this really weird crunchbuntu hybrid install that had a mash of ubuntu and crunch branding and an X that wouldn't start. I thought I was losing my mind for a moment, heh.
    august wrote: »
    I used these cli instructions to copy cb 11 to usb.
    I did, in fact, attempt that one at one point. But, I mean, dd is dd. I tried it both with and without the 4MB block size option that article recommends, no dice. It was really really weird.

• Options
    Yeah that sounds odd. I know you probably did but did you check the md5 sum of the ISO?

• Options
    Yeah, md5sum was correct. ;-)

• Options
    I figured but I've been caught by forgetting to do that and have it be a messed up image and I could have saved myself hours of heartache.

That sounds really mesed up. At least you finally got it installed? I've loved Crunchbang for the last few versions but I might take this opportunity to try out Arch or something.

• Options
    It's installed, I need to do an audit and see if there's any other cleanup I need to do from the end of the installer that I aborted out of, but I didn't get a chance to play with it much; I got it up and running, told it to apt-get upgrade, and went to bed, heh.

• Options
    Is Crunchbang based off Ubuntu?

So here's the thing I am looking for in a Linux distro, and maybe you guys can help me out on what to choose. I've ditched Windows completely, so I'm looking for a full on replacement. I also want to be able to tinker, have no trouble with command line, and really want to learn the ins and outs of Linux. I also want something that I can use to code and test websites that I am working on (with some database stuff). Also, I want to be able to run Steam and bumblebee (need my Football Manager fix, and I have Optimus on this T430).

I have Ubuntu currently installed, but the interface is merely OK, and feels a little chunky to me. I've heard good thing about Mint, and this Crunchbang deal looks interesting as well. So yeah, any suggestions would be welcome.

• Options
    1. Crunchbang is based of Debian.

2. If Ubuntu's interface feels chunky... install a different one! I'd guess you're maybe using the default Unity DE... experiment! Install KDE for a Windows-ish environment, or XFCE for a slimmed-down Gnome-like experience. Mint uses either Cinnamon or MATE, both of which I'm pretty sure you can install on Ubuntu without too much issue. Or get really minimalist, throw (open|black|flux)box on there. Or try one of the tiling WMs, like Awesome.

Change Distros if you don't like the way Ubuntu's tools work. The Desktop can be molded to your will.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    If you hate rodents, try out StumpWM. The learning curve is... steep.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Welp, my computer shit the bed this morning. Either a futzed up Windows install, which shouldn't be a big deal, or my hard drive is dying/dead...which would suck because it's not that old and I'm broke.

Anyway, I'm posting from Knoppix running off a CD, which is why I wandered into this thread. Kinda blowing my mind; I didn't even know that was a thing you could do. I've never even googled Linux before (even out of curiosity) so it was a bit of a labrynthine adventure to get to this point, though it was surprisingly simple once I figured out what I actually needed to do.

Now, to figure out how to back up my stuff...if it's still there. Frickin computers.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I installed Kali on an old UMPC that's been apparently sitting in my closet. A Wibrain B1L. I think I'm pretty cyberpunk now, even though everything but the shell is working properly. At this point I might as well learn to use terminal commands besides the apt-get, xrandr, and shutdown to fix this dumb thing. Then again I also have no idea how to hammer at this.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I installed Kali on an old UMPC that's been apparently sitting in my closet. A Wibrain B1L. I think I'm pretty cyberpunk now, even though everything but the shell is working properly. At this point I might as well learn to use terminal commands besides the apt-get, xrandr, and shutdown to fix this dumb thing. Then again I also have no idea how to hammer at this.

I'd love to get my hands on some hardware like that.

I'm sad that smartphones killed the two formfactors I have been most interested in when it comes to mobile computing - x86 UMPCs and 8.9" netbooks.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So the bad news is apparently somehow the Nvidia drivers I tried to install on my Ubuntu lappy totally borked the OS. It would get past BIOS no problem, but would hang when trying to load the OS. Eventually had to resort to a full reinstall. Apparently Nvidia doesn't really like making decent drivers for Linux, so lesson learned I guess. But no vital data was lost, so that's nice.

• Options
    So in the short term I have a 500gb hard drive (will be getting a smallish 120gb SSD at some point soon), and want to do a dual or triple boot linux setup. As such, I need to ask whether this partitioning scheme I envision is sensible. So here is what I am thinking:

/boot - 200mb
    swap - 8gb (I have 4gb of ram right now, but am probably going to grab a 16gb kit soon as well)
    logical
    - / (Linux Distro 1) - 40gb
    - / (Linux Distro 2) - 40gb
    - / (Linux Distro 3) - 40gb
    /shared - ~370gb

The idea is that I would setup symbolic links from the /home to the shared partition in each distro, so all my heavy files would reside on /shared. Is this something that will work?

(I know that three distros seem like a lot, but I need one for Oracle Linux, would like to try Mint, and might do an Arch or Crunchbang install)

• Options
    Here's a follow up... is a /boot partition meant to be shared, or should each distro have a seperate one?

• Options
    While I get that there are historical and maintenance reasons for a separate /boot partition, in this case I'd probably just forgo it. I'd be too worried about each distro stomping on the other's boot files.

The /shared partition is a good idea, though.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    While I get that there are historical and maintenance reasons for a separate /boot partition, in this case I'd probably just forgo it. I'd be too worried about each distro stomping on the other's boot files.

The /shared partition is a good idea, though.

This post seems like an interesting way to do it:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linuxquestions-org-member-success-stories-23/multiple-distros-single-boot-partition-698193/

Howevere there is a bit of setup required to have it work. I think you are correct, and I may just ditch the /boot partition.

So I have changed my partition scheme up a little:

swap - 8gb
    extended
    - mint root - 35gb
    - mint home - 45gb
    - arch root -35gb
    - arch home - 45gb
    shared - ~330gb

So here's the thing with the shared drive though, even if I don't symlink them, I'm still going to have to ensure that the usernames, uid and gid are all the same between the various distros, right? In order for every distro to have equal access to the files. Am I understanding that correctly?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    So here's the thing with the shared drive though, even if I don't symlink them, I'm still going to have to ensure that the usernames, uid and gid are all the same between the various distros, right? In order for every distro to have equal access to the files. Am I understanding that correctly?

That sounds right, although I could be wrong. I keep /home on it's own partition. When I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu, I changed my username without thinking about it. Then I renamed my home folder to match without changing any permissions. You can imagine how that went. ;-)

• Options
    Ok, so here is an interesting issue. So I pre-formatted my hard drive in the following manner:

sda
    sda1 swap (8gb)
    sda2 extended
    sda5 ext4 (35gb - mint root)
    sda6 ext4 (45gb - mint home)
    sda7 ext4 (35gb - arch root)
    sda8 ext4 (45gb - arch home)
    sda9 ext4 (~305gb - shared)

So I did this via the Mint Live disk, using gparted, then installed Mint. Had grub install to sda, and Mint boots and runs just fine. This morning I get up to do a quick Arch install (following the beginners guide, and having done a couple when messing around), and I run into a problem wherein when I run lsblk /dev/sda it shows only sda1 and sda2 existing. So I am wondering whether I messed something up? Previously when I had gone through these steps and installed Arch, it worked fine (I screwed up on grub though, hence trying again). So, any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Also, since I am dual booting, the main installation needs grub installed to sda, and the secondary needs grub installed to its root partition, correct? And then I just run a grub-update on the main installation?

• Options
    Nope. You only need one installed grub; you then add a menu item to the installed grub that points to and boots up arch.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Dual-booting

• Options
    Any insight as to why the Arch install wouldn't be recognizing any of my logical partitions?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't; I haven't had leisure to dig in to lvm and how it works. Maybe someone else?

*edit*
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide#Create_an_initial_ramdisk_environment
    Mentions that you need to set the hook for LVM, documented here:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#HOOKS
    Hook is "lvm2"

Otherwise, yeah, you won't be able to see the logical volumes.

As a former Arch user for years... I'm way too lazy to run Arch anymore, lol.

Houn on
  • Options
    Figured out my problem. Arch was assigning the Live USB to sda, and the HD to sdb. So, I installed on sdb. Haven't booted back in, so it will be interesting to see if it causes me any problems.

• Options
    OK, so this is pretty neat. Posting this from command line Links on Arch. Works pretty well, and with Screen installed as well I can switch back and forth between the Arch wiki and the command line. Neat-O!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I used to compile gentoo from bootstrap. . .

Yeah, I don't do that anymore.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    OK, so I have a few questions pertaining to Arch. I’m still on the most basic of installs, having only installed links and screen thus far, and still haven’t created any users or groups. So, here it goes:

1. How do I go about checking which users and groups exist on the system?
    2. If I am installing things as root (as I am currently doing), are those programs available to users? Is this dependent on the users group and the groups permissions?
    3. I plan to install bumblebee, as I have an optimus setup on my laptop, so should I install X first then bumblebee, the other way around, or does it matter?

That’s all I can think of at the moment, but as my recent posting has show, I’m sure I will have more questions.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    1) Check the Users and groups page on the Arch Wiki. Long story short:
    # cat /etc/passwd

Will list out the users on the system (and what main group they're attached to)
    # cat /etc/group

Will list the groups available on the system to attach to users.

2) Yes, installed programs will be available to standard users. Usually the program's function (or the files it touches) is what deems whether it's an appropriate tool for a regular-user to run. So, 'links' would be available to users while things like 'systemctl' might not (depending on the function you're asking systemctl to do for you, users might be able to query the status of a daemon, but I cant remember). And when I say "might not" I mean "the user can run it if it's in the $PATH, but it will just spit out an error telling them they don't have permission to use the program."

3) not familiar with bumblebee.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    I'd do whatever the Arch wiki says:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bumblebee

Seriously, I may not have the energy to run Arch myself these days, but their wiki is fucking deep. I use it for non-Arch stuff all the time. Incredibly well detailed.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    This post was a duplicate of the above post. Please to be ignorings, kthnx.
    minecraft_linux_mascot___tux___by_exit1-d3i5s31.png

Houn on