Options

Pinny Pal Community Thread 2.0 - Please read the first post :)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    The hotdog fairy has been in the Make-A-Strip for a while, I am going to have to comb the archive and find the first appearance.

I'm seeing it as PAX 2006, unless anyone else has an earlier citing.

• Options
    KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Here's a whole thread from 2006 about the hot dog fairy with some good origin info:

Someone asked how to get his lazy artist to work, and Tycho told a story about how he used to microwave hot dogs, chop them up, and put them by Gabe's computer. Gabe would sniff 'em out, and once he found them, Tycho'd say something along the lines of "Hey, now that you're at the computer, I do have a script up for you. I mean, you're already over there."

At this point in the panel, Gabe turned to Tycho and says, "That was you? You told me it was the Hot Dog Fairy," which evolved into this.

Can't find the original strip on my phone but someone in the abov thread referenced the Make-A-Strip (from 2006, I guess) where Tycho had the lobster claw. I remember that but can't wrangle a link right now.

Kamelon on
    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • Options
    Kamelon wrote: »
    Can't find the original strip on my phone but someone in the abov thread referenced the Make-A-Strip (from 2006, I guess) where Tycho had the lobster claw. I remember that but can't wrangle a link right now.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/08/30

That's the original. The PAX version seems to be lost to the archives, since it was linked to in the newspost and links are broken now since we have had 4 (5?) site changes since then.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Just received some of those locking pin-backs someone linked to on here. Looks like they'll work pretty well.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/08/30

That's the original. The PAX version seems to be lost to the archives, since it was linked to in the newspost and links are broken now since we have had 4 (5?) site changes since then.
    All Hail Ball

Oh, right. I forgot why I came in here in the first place. I came to this thread expecting everyone to be ClubPA so I could see what the forum badge looked like, but I see 0 here. Are they not implemented yet?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Oh, right. I forgot why I came in here in the first place. I came to this thread expecting everyone to be ClubPA so I could see what the forum badge looked like, but I see 0 here. Are they not implemented yet?

Hmm, you're right. I'm a member and I don't have a badge yet. Looks like they haven't been implemented yet.

Now, it is my understanding that the badge would be like the "badgers" for logging in on Valentine's Day and so on, that are in your profile. Do people think that's right? I like the idea of the user image on each post having a Club PA badge on it too, but I'm not sure that's the idea.

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, the forum badges...

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    They are not yet implemented

• Options
    It's one week to Snapdoodle, so if anyone has questions for Mike, Jamie and any others who might possibly show up, post them here. I will be following up on the FAQ and trying to get answers to the simpler questions that were posed, but if you want to repeat them here in addition to new questions, go ahead.

• Options
    Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Uh... Guys...

NEW PIN NEWS!!!

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Uh... Guys...

NEW PIN NEWS!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    my heart is literally bursting out of my chest at the moment.... pax goers know first hand what the merch area is like...

and 2 pins per person...going to make this a real challenge for any hardcore pin group...

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Oh shit what day did Mot say he was getting in again?...

• Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Oh man...everyone's going to beeline for the merch booth. I can see it now.

• Options
    foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    i think this will be a all 3 pax thing as well so it looks like none of us will see the keynote this year

• Options
    Limited edition PAX-exclusive pin. Interesting choice...

It's also East flavoured so I guess there'll be a Prime and Aus version at those PAXes this year. Can we add that to the FAQ, @PedroAsani.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's obvious there will be one for each PAX this year...

Now I guess I can't get too drunk Thursday night, I've gotta get in line early as shit.

• Options

Yeah... because PAX East wasn't around for the first year, right? Just Prime?

• Options
    one of the few times i can use my wheelchair to my advantage ;) My brothers and I were given passes to cut to the front of any line for....handicap reasons... felt bad for using it last year...this year though...might have to take advantage of it :D

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Limited edition PAX-exclusive pin. Interesting choice...

It's also East flavoured so I guess there'll be a Prime and Aus version at those PAXes this year. Can we add that to the FAQ, @PedroAsani.

Done.

My guess is that since it is 10 years of PAX and not 10 years of PAX East (That is 2020) we are going to see these at every PAX this year.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    A thread about pins and no one ever posts images of said pins. Come on, people.

paxeast_10_years_promo.jpg

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    I love the design!!! >.<!!!

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • Options
    foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    it dose look really good

• Options
    El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    This will make things pretty intense for the triad pin groups. Even on the PAX Aus scale, 500 pins up for grabs each day, with maybe as little as 250 people per day getting them, is going to go very quickly.

I can't even imagine what that will be like at East or Prime.

If someone is able to get 4 pins across 2 days, at least that covers one pin for each of the triad - but that would be quite an achievement. I don't know if I'll be able to swing that, considering I'll have an Enforcer shift each day which might coincide with the pins going on sale (assuming they'll be released at a specific time, rather than at the start of every day).

Edit: I guess there's also the argument that maybe people shouldn't have a anniversary pin for a PAX event they didn't (or haven't ever) attended. I've never felt comfortable sewing the Pax Prime patch I got from an Enforcer mate at Prime who picked up a bunch of pins for me, and included the patch when he posted them over. Doesn't feel right repping a show I didn't attend.

El_Funko on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    one of the few times i can use my wheelchair to my advantage ;) My brothers and I were given passes to cut to the front of any line for....handicap reasons... felt bad for using it last year...this year though...might have to take advantage of it :D

Need a pusher?

Or someone to sit on your lap to keep it warm? You know, like a companion animal, except it's me.

Sitting on your lap.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

Yeah... because PAX East wasn't around for the first year, right? Just Prime?
    That's not the reason, it's because 2014 is just the 10th anniversary of PAX. If they're doing one of these for East, I would bet cash money that they are doing one for Prime and Aus. Prime has been 2004-present, east 2010-present, aus 2013-present

• Options
    CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    When can one start queuing for the merch booth? as soon as the BCEC opens its doors?

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Cowpuppy wrote: »
    When can one start queuing for the merch booth? as soon as the BCEC opens its doors?

Doors to the BCEC open at 8AM usually, from there just hop in the queue line. You can obviously line up earlier outside.

Obviously the expo hall doesn't open until 10AM though, so you'll be waiting a bit

TheAggroCraig on
  • Options
    Ayefkay wrote: »

Need a pusher?

Or someone to sit on your lap to keep it warm? You know, like a companion animal, except it's me.

Sitting on your lap.

hah! nah its all electric, my brothers got passes under the guise of "carer" but really they just stood around me all day.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    So bring my wire-cutters is what I'm reading here?

• Options
    Doors to the BCEC open at 8AM usually, from there just hop in the queue line. You can obviously line up earlier outside.

Obviously the expo hall doesn't open until 10AM though, so you'll be waiting a bit

Thanks for the info :) the wait doesn't bother me too much. I come from a family of roller coaster junkies. I don't even want to know how much of my life has been spent bound between the rails of amusement park queue lines. In any case, I'll have my brother with me, and we'll have our handhelds, so we can keep ourselves amused.

Plus, it sounds like I won't be alone in dutifully waiting for the shiny, rare pins.

Pins! Pins everywhere!

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    This is going to be hard for our pin pals. It's going to be hard for hardcore.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    I'm not part of a pin triad, but if anyone is willing to spend their second pin pick up on me, I'll happily exchange the equivalent Prime pin when the time comes.

Otherwise... this one is going to be tough. I hope there aren't too many people who jump on it just to sell it online.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    vid wrote: »
    I'm not part of a pin triad, but if anyone is willing to spend their second pin pick up on me, I'll happily exchange the equivalent Prime pin when the time comes.

Otherwise... this one is going to be tough. I hope there aren't too many people who jump on it just to sell it online.

I'm planning to grab four if I can manage it. I'm already part of a triad, so I'll have an extra. Assuming neither of us forget by Prime, and assuming my plans work out, I'd be happy to trade for a Prime-equivalent pin. :)

Pins! Pins everywhere!

• Options
    I'm still intent on getting the "2 per person" upped to 3 for Pin Pals. I'm not sure if I can do much to dissuade them from their current policy, because they are quite rightly concerned about running out. But it was on the FAQ and I will ask Mike on Saturday about it.

• Options
    I'm still intent on getting the "2 per person" upped to 3 for Pin Pals. I'm not sure if I can do much to dissuade them from their current policy, because they are quite rightly concerned about running out. But it was on the FAQ and I will ask Mike on Saturday about it.

Maybe they can hook us pin pals up early... or club PA members... or sell us 10 each if we're both.

• Options
    So bring my wire-cutters is what I'm reading here?

Come at me, bro

And yeah i also share concerns about people buying just to sell them online... But i guess that's an inevitability

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    i plan on getting 6, 3 for my triad an 3 to put into the trading ecosystem i will not sell them as i like the spirit behind the pins

• Options
    Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    Ya I will be going for at least the 3 for my group. Best way to get 4 is to just line up with a friend who isn't interested in pins. Get them all in one day.

• Options
    AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Spy112 wrote: »
    Ya I will be going for at least the 3 for my group. Best way to get 4 is to just line up with a friend who isn't interested in pins. Get them all in one day.

Or make your wife line up like I'm making mine do! (She's almost as much of a pinny pal as me I swear!)

This discussion has been closed.