As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tiny [chat] is dreaming

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I was going through some of my old stuff this weekend and I found my bootleg boxed DVD set of Trigun and I picked it up like a dead bug and tossed it into a box with a revolted look on my face. Then I cried a little while because I miss Wolfwood so bad.

Then I gorilla glued the box shut and put it in the attic

Ludious knows.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    anime really sucks tho

I've tried to watch several series that have been recommended to me

and sometimes I'll stomach some of the cliches / chaff and sort of get into the story or characters

and then I'll reach a point in the series where the show says "LOL SEXUALIZED LOLI!" and I'm like

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

if you took all the dumb cliches of old 90's videogames and the sort of weird groupthink and just turned that into a genre, almost entirely lacking self-awareness and devoted entirely to its own stereotypes and embracing them as a kind of comfort

and that makes me really glad that, despite the drama it can cause, the gaming industry is going through a painful and awkward and necessary revision and re-examining its underlying tropes and biases and stereotypes

sort of a "there but for the grace of God go we"

the first anime series i ever watched was cowboy bebop, back in like 2001 maybe

and i thought it was really cool! it was like nothing i'd ever seen - stylish and fresh and the music was good and the characters were surprisingly appealing and wow!

i thought "i must like anime! i must be an anime fan!"

and then i watched other anime and other anime and still more anime and was like

nope.

the rest of it just isn't any good

and then i met some other kids that were really into anime fandom and was like

hey that kid is wearing blue-tinted swim goggles on his forehead just like, around town.

maybe this isn't for me at all.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

*makes notes on a pad of paper*

i only said i liked these because they're good!

uh huh.

*takes more notes*

*nods to will*

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    anime really sucks tho

and sometimes I'll stomach some of the cliches / chaff and sort of get into the story or characters

and then I'll reach a point in the series where the show says "LOL SEXUALIZED LOLI!" and I'm like

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

if you took all the dumb cliches of old 90's videogames and the sort of weird groupthink and just turned that into a genre, almost entirely lacking self-awareness and devoted entirely to its own stereotypes and embracing them as a kind of comfort

and that makes me really glad that, despite the drama it can cause, the gaming industry is going through a painful and awkward and necessary revision and re-examining its underlying tropes and biases and stereotypes

and i thought it was really cool! it was like nothing i'd ever seen - stylish and fresh and the music was good and the characters were surprisingly appealing and wow!

and then i watched other anime and other anime and still more anime and was like

nope.

hey that kid is wearing blue-tinted swim goggles on his forehead just like, around town.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

*nods in approval*

The guy who made Paranoia Agent died suddenly of cancer several years ago

I found out only recently because I watched Tokyo Godfathers on Netflix and wiki'd him to see what other projects he had in the pipeline and noooope :(

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    the thing that puts me off the most in office discussions is how apathetically uninformed about local, state, and federal politics everyone is

like they discuss things as fact they they heard third hand somewhere and laugh about it, a lot of the times its really racist dogwhistley too

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

uh huh.

*takes more notes*

*nods to will*

look all i'm saying is that we might want to rethink the ban on anime threads

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ludious that's very noble but my family wouldn't eat an enchilada, it sounds too exotic

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    like i don't even wanna be the packers guy or the alcoholism guy

i guess in my ideal world i know a lot about everything, i can talk intelligently on a given topic

but i'm so stingy with my interest, focus, and passion that i'm not 'given' to any one thing and no one thinks of me as the ____ guy

no posters, no stickers, no fandom, no attending concerts, no going to sporting events

because i can't like a certain thing, i must be aloof for fear of social compartmentalization

it is horrifying

you've talked about this before, I think it is odd

because we are still going to assemble a picture of you as a person that includes the things you're interested in

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Oh @Vanguard‌
    I just made post in NY thread.
    You should see if you can get yourself some booze prom tickets!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    man fuck people who express the things they like to others in public, the nerve
    you're supposed to be a bitter emotionless bundle of conformity like me who derives nothing from day to day existence

i definitely have this issue

i guess i want so strongly not to be typified or pigeonholed that i try and not really associate with anything: guns, jiu jitsu, running, video games, fashion

everything has its negative connotation and i don't want some theoretical funeral for me to be 'john chu: in total, a man who loved outkast, blowjobs, and sichuan food'

it is a p stifling, world-is-closing-in-on-me feeling, that i am reducible to certain things

so i guess i only really want to show off or advertise those interests of mine which are sort of sterile and mature and hard to use as ammunition for typification of my character

nobody I work with even knows I play video games and its like a huge part of my life, I'm afraid to even talk about movies because if I let on that I thought Frozen and Lego Movie are two of the best movies of the last year they might think I'm childish or a pedophile or something

so I just pretend to like the packers and alcoholism and other stuff adults in wisconsin are supposed to like

i guess in my ideal world i know a lot about everything, i can talk intelligently on a given topic

but i'm so stingy with my interest, focus, and passion that i'm not 'given' to any one thing and no one thinks of me as the ____ guy

no posters, no stickers, no fandom, no attending concerts, no going to sporting events

because i can't like a certain thing, i must be aloof for fear of social compartmentalization

it is horrifying

Now you're surface interest guy. I knew that guy, he wasn't really ever into any stuff. That was sort of his thing, you know?

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

There are some anime I enjoy (Bebop, Attack on Titan, both have flaws but I still enjoyed em)

but overall any anime I've tried to watch inevitably has some really weird and creepy expression of implied sexuality

and I've found very few shows that have enough quality to merit tolerating their baggage.

That's been the dealbreaker for me, at least lately

I can tolerate other things as necessary to the form (monologues due to budget constraints, etc.), and I try not to poop on anime too hard because I see many of its flaws mirrored in other forms of entertainment

but once a series has anything loli in it that's just my NOPE point

NOPE

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    also I like knowing what people like

I like finding something I think is cool, and sharing it with someone else who might appreciate it like I did

I want to @ vari when we're talking about sc2 and sig when we're talking about origami and etc etc

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ummmm

$200 is a lot yo

• Options

it is horrifying

because we are still going to assemble a picture of you as a person that includes the things you're interested in

yes and it sears my soul that people do that

i wish you wouldn't

*seppuku*

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

*nods in approval*

I found out only recently because I watched Tokyo Godfathers on Netflix and wiki'd him to see what other projects he had in the pipeline and noooope :(

yeah

it's depressing because everything he touched was brilliant

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    you're supposed to be a bitter emotionless bundle of conformity like me who derives nothing from day to day existence

i guess i want so strongly not to be typified or pigeonholed that i try and not really associate with anything: guns, jiu jitsu, running, video games, fashion

everything has its negative connotation and i don't want some theoretical funeral for me to be 'john chu: in total, a man who loved outkast, blowjobs, and sichuan food'

it is a p stifling, world-is-closing-in-on-me feeling, that i am reducible to certain things

so i guess i only really want to show off or advertise those interests of mine which are sort of sterile and mature and hard to use as ammunition for typification of my character

I get the fear, and this'll sound like a platitude or something, but the people who would reduce you to those things don't matter.

Either because they are assholes who reduce people down to things like that on a regular basis, or they don't know you well enough to form a more solid idea of you anyway, in which case they are not close to you, in which case their opinion of you is irrelevant.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I prefer to be a Jill of all trades

My likes and interests are wide and shallow

Average at all games

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I've gotten coworkers to watch adventure time

does that make me anime-pedophile-satan

• Options
    Oh god the people who immediately come here after work are showing up now. Such resignation in their eyes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaleedity wrote: »

no

being anime-pedophile-satan makes you anime-pedophile-satan

anime-pedophile-satan

• Options
    like my ideal home is a macbook air and an expensive dslr on a table (even though i don't care for photography and don't actually want to buy a nice camera)

one wall dominated by a bookshelf, no fiction except american and british classics, lots of stuff on math and physics

i guess a dog

i'm allowed to love dogs

that's the only thing i can love in an unqualified way

fukn love dags

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I was going through some of my old stuff this weekend and I found my bootleg boxed DVD set of Trigun and I picked it up like a dead bug and tossed it into a box with a revolted look on my face. Then I cried a little while because I miss Wolfwood so bad.

Then I gorilla glued the box shut and put it in the attic

Ludious knows.

I am not hateful of poisonous subcultures because I am above them. I have been the 400lb neckbeard, I have been the unironic pc master race, I've been an anime fan, I've been a self congratulating outcast. I've been a REPUBLICAN. Had it been on my radar I would have been a Randian Libertarian. I have been every aspect of poorly behaved subculture people in our particular sphere of influence can be.

I don't look back on my life and feel completely ashamed. Oh there are moments of soul crushing shame, but mostly I am proud of myself for having grown out of it.

It's not anime, it's not pc's, or MLP, or any one goddamned thing. It's the poisonous miasma. The stifling lack of self growth, that tends to accompany this fandom.

It's the smell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9Y24ciNWs

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

uh huh.

*takes more notes*

*nods to will*

*reaches for badge and gun*

no

anime-pedophile-satan

*freezes, eyes you suspiciously*

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I accidentally so many words in epic post that I can't even now ugh

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

nobody I work with even knows I play video games and its like a huge part of my life, I'm afraid to even talk about movies because if I let on that I thought Frozen and Lego Movie are two of the best movies of the last year they might think I'm childish or a pedophile or something

so I just pretend to like the packers and alcoholism and other stuff adults in wisconsin are supposed to like

it is horrifying

Now you're surface interest guy. I knew that guy, he wasn't really ever into any stuff. That was sort of his thing, you know?

*clutches chest, groans painfully*

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Attack on Titan: Suffers from weird emotional beats (exaggeration of facial expressions/reactions is an annoying anime trope), uneven pacing (STAHP FLASHBACKING AT CLIMACTIC MOMENTS), and ridiculously long monologues (as I mentioned in the thread shut up and do the thing)

But it is still a good show. And not for the genre of anime--just a good, entertaining show.

maybe i should just give in and watch the show. i hated the manga but everyone says the show is good...

Don't fall for it man. It's trap! It's starts promising and then slaps you in the face with ANIMUUUUU

Also if you didn't like the manga I really doubt you'll like the show.

It doesn't have anything special going on beyond the story that won't be hugely different from the manga.

• Options
    I think the picture of DUE is butts, booze, and abloo. I'm so okay with that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    like my ideal home is a macbook air and an expensive dslr on a table (even though i don't care for photography and don't actually want to buy a nice camera)

one wall dominated by a bookshelf, no fiction except american and british classics, lots of stuff on math and physics

i guess a dog

i'm allowed to love dogs

fukn love dags

But not one of those breeds that people make into a big thing

A breed that conveys nothing about you

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Maybe there will be people who like to dress up like vintage kitchen appliances and walk around going "whirrrrrrr!"

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me

0tg6f9yd6nq4.jpg

skippy in 6 months

NertCam-21943.jpg

is that the brave little toaster?

• Options

i have read this like five times

???

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

i have read this like five times

???

Have you ever accidentally a word?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    @tarranon i have no idea why you deleted this post but hey i saved it so
    tarranon wrote:
    mostly i think it's bad because like was said it's game over once you maintain sustainability and then the only interesting choice you're faced with is "do i expand and risk upsetting the delicate balance, or maybe a disaster at an inopportune time, or do i not do that, and contentedly trim the bonsai tree that is my little burg'

also it makes you wait too long for citizens to grow up and junk and there's no mystery about what is the best way to do buildings so all i'm really doing is plopping down stuff and waiting for new children to come in while hoping a sequence of disasters don't murk me

i guess it's really good if you liked the new sim city

yeah all of this is true but i fail to see how that is bad if what you want is to trim your bonsai.

like, what do you get from the other stuff you play that you dont here?

i wasn't paying attention and i think i must have left the edit box open when i quoted something else and then out of habit i deleted the rest of the post that wasn't what i wanted to quote because i assumed it was some draft shenanigans

anyway out of other games it's mostly more interesting choices to me and yeah, more content. like, as long as you play conservatively, i'm not sure there's any real decisions to be made in sculpting your town because the needs of your people follow a very definite hierarchy (food/warmth->health->happiness->education (to squeeze more out of the citizens you have). you can either mix it up by having outside forces to compete with, ala dwarf fortress/gnomoria, where you not only have to juggle your people's survival against nature but weigh that against preparing defenses against attacks. or even something more peaceful like in anno where even in modes where combat is disabled, resting on your laurels cedes land, resources, and strategic positioning to your opponents

mostly what i miss are those agonizing decisions where you only have a few resources and you need to decide how to allocate them

maybe my seed was too good or something. i got to about 80 citizens, my last scare came hours ago when i let in some nomads without realizing how many resources they would consume, a lesson quickly learned, and it's been pretty peaceful ever since. i do like how rickety the act of expanding always seems to be, but it takes soooo long for citizens to come of age that i just got bored.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Well the first word I think of when I think of you DOES start with a B, but it's not butts or booze.

• Options

yes and it sears my soul that people do that

i wish you wouldn't

*seppuku*

how can I not

your interests are a huge part of you

your passions and likes/dislikes are what make you tick

• Options
    desc wrote: »

i guess a dog

i'm allowed to love dogs

fukn love dags

But not one of those breeds that people make into a big thing

A breed that conveys nothing about you

correct, not a pug or poodle or great dane or pitbull. they suggest things about their owners.

maybe just, a labrador. a boxer.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

*nods in approval*

Yeah, poor Satoshi Kon.

He made a lot of good stuff before then.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Maybe there will be people who like to dress up like vintage kitchen appliances and walk around going "whirrrrrrr!"

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me

0tg6f9yd6nq4.jpg

skippy in 6 months

blt

is that the brave little toaster?

they say that confidence is attractive

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ugh, why is it so hard to find information about this thing I'm doing an assignment on?

• Options
    anime really sucks tho

NOPE

NOPE

NOPE.

I see anime as like

nope.

i like

cowboy bebop
    samurai champloo
    monster
    paranoia agent
    anything by miyazaki

that's it

uh huh.

*takes more notes*

*nods to will*

*reaches for badge and gun*

no

anime-pedophile-satan

*freezes, eyes you suspiciously*

*rips open button up shirt, exposing bullet proof undershit that reads*

polls_ILoveAnimeLuna_answer_1_xlarge.gif

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Weeping drunkenly onto someone's butt in every single photo of you

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I don't know.

People seem to think that expressing stuff you like is some kind of sacred right, but that expressing stuff you don't like is petty and nasty.

Have some damn courage of your convictions. If you think anime is cool, fine. I might look down my elitist nose at you. If you can't live with that it honestly says more about you than me. (I'm actually OK with anime, its just not for me. But to use the example that's being tossed around). If you want to be an individual, be a fucking individual. Part of that is people disagreeing with you.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.