As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So, story time.

I named my original character Kiara, after a character I had in an Arcana Evolved game.

Kiara was an excessively loyal, brave, and a diplomat who left her homeland on a diplomatic mission, only to return to find it invaded. Her job when she returned was to rally the internal resistors as well as external potential allies to throw off the invaders.

She was a former bodyguard, and so trained in the combative arts, and a magic-user as well.

She wielded a war-scythe, and was the leader of a small band of people roaming the countryside rallying the resistance. She didn't, however, have a ship (but she had a unicorn, so that was cool).

Her incarnation in SWTOR was as a consular--a Jedi Shadow--and she rallied an alliance as a diplomat to throw off the Imperial yoke of oppression on a number of worlds, had force abilities; and fought with a big double-bladed lightsaber. Kind of neat how that worked out, though I knew nothing of the class and its story when I started it.

And on Covenant, all reasonable variations of her name are taken.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Oh ho ho do I know the pain of trying to find a name.
    Especially because I refuse to do stuff like numbers or accented characters.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This game actually allows you to put ' into names.

• Options
    I found out you can use (one) dash and so I am left with the horrible looking K-iara, as all the other ones I tried were taken.

Fucking MMOs man.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    This game actually allows you to put ' into names.

That's what I had on Bastion. All the apostrophe variations were taken!

• Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular
    Kass wrote: »
    People always talk up the agent story line (don't get me wrong... the agent story is great), but I'd still vote the warrior being my favorite imperial story. I've only ever done it DS, I think at some point I may roll up another alt to try the LS version (just to compare).

My top three have been Agent, JK, then Warrior. I think the Imperial storylines benefit more from fact that as villains, the choice to be good guys while playing that role is pretty unique.
    The Sith Warrior is the Darth Vader storyline if he had started out his life as a dark side badass, but you can be a light side reformist trying to make the Empire a better place while surrounded by people that would kill you in an instant if they knew your secret.... which makes you even more badass.
    The Dark side stuff as a Jedi doesn't make as much sense. Reminds me too much of a GM railroading his D&D campaign into a heroic outcome even though the party just burned down an orphanage and have spent the last half hour discussing how they can use the villain's evil plan to take over the world themselves.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    I have an important question: should I bang my way through the Agent storyline? If the Agent is James Bond in Space, it sort of feels traditional.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    If by bang, you mean sex...

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    If by bang, you mean sex...

If I meant kill, I would have said kill.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I have an important question: should I bang my way through the Agent storyline? If the Agent is James Bond in Space, it sort of feels traditional.

Absolutely, yes. Sexings for all.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Absolutely, yes. Sexings for all.

Sadly no, since everything pre-expansion was hetero.

Sexings for some, tiny holes in the head and neck for others!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    To my delight, the character that is introduced in the story that goes along with the two new flashpoints can be flirted with by either sex (whether this leads to anything down the road, who knows)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is there a difference between kinetic / elemental / internal damage? And what is that difference?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Is there a difference between kinetic / elemental / internal damage? And what is that difference?

Damage type.

Basically each has its own resistance. Otherwise nothing.

Also I love healing on my BH. Something about its awkward rotation, weird buffs and shooting people to heal them makes me happy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

IIRC, energy/kinetic damage is reduced by armor, elemental/internal is not. It was something like that, anyway.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Elemental and internal damage bypass armor. There are probably other differences but I'd have to google.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Completing the hard mode Foundry also lead me to a guild invite.

@Eat_it_You_Nasty_Pig., I have granted you a short reprieve and will not be sending my newly-acquired murderbot after you.

Yet.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    is the hard mode foundry part before or after you have to run around scanning for the parts? I forget. I kinda want to unlock HK for my imp characters too, but I really don't wanna do the stupid scanning part again and I'm still kind of credit-poor.

anyway, can anybody explain the collections interface to me? I know that I'm supposed to be able to populate items to my other characters, but it doesn't seem to work. Are you required to actually get the items out of a pack to do that, or can you just buy them on the GTN?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    is the hard mode foundry part before or after you have to run around scanning for the parts? I forget. I kinda want to unlock HK for my imp characters too, but I really don't wanna do the stupid scanning part again and I'm still kind of credit-poor.

anyway, can anybody explain the collections interface to me? I know that I'm supposed to be able to populate items to my other characters, but it doesn't seem to work. Are you required to actually get the items out of a pack to do that, or can you just buy them on the GTN?

To get an item or armor into your collections, you don't have to buy it from the cartel market, you can buy it on the GTN and it works as well. We'll use a color crystal as an example. To unlock that crystal on one character, you would have to bind that crystal to that character by putting it in a weapon. Having 'unlocked' it, you can they spawn as many crystals on that character as you want (all bound to that character). If you wish that all your characters are able to spawn that crystal, however, you would have to pay in cartel coins to unlock the crystal account-wide. The amount of cc you pay varies by item.

When it comes to armor you almost invariably have to unlock every piece in a set before you can spawn that armor. So if you want to be able to spawn the loincloth from the Jori Daragon armor set for all of your alts, you have to bind every piece of that set to one character, then unlock the set using cartel coins on another character (armor sets tend to be more expensive to unlock, so it might cost anywhere from 240 cc to 600 cc to unlock it account wide).

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    ohhh, it was the account wide thing that I wasn't getting.

might not get much use out of it then, I generally only want an armor set or a particular color crystal for one or two characters

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Man, these Sith are irritating.

I hope I get to murder my way through them as an Agent, otherwise I'll have to find out which Imperial does get to murder their way through them.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Fairly sure the Imperial classes end up murdering more Sith than the Republic classes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finished Tatooine on my BH. Healing is fun on that character. A lot of fun.

Also kind of fun going light side with her. Fuck you Sith, I do thinks properly. Got to stick to my code.

Made a Jedi for a Sentinal. I forgot a lot of the JK story so I am going to start over. And also have my consular which I think will be a Shadow.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I like the feel of trooper/BH healing a lot, but my sorc just feels so much more powerful. Better survivability (especially now that they have that barrier ability), better movement, better longevity, better aoe.

maybe trooper would feel better if I had a lot more alacrity? Hard to say.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    I like the feel of trooper/BH healing a lot, but my sorc just feels so much more powerful. Better survivability (especially now that they have that barrier ability), better movement, better longevity, better aoe.

maybe trooper would feel better if I had a lot more alacrity? Hard to say.

Sorc healing is much more classic mmo style healing. I find my BH healing tends to be a weird mix of proactive heals and reactive heals.

Due to the buffs you get off your heals as a BH it is best to have everything running before the fight.

Like I will drop a kolto missile before a fight for the kolto residue buff. I am almost up to kolto barrier which is another preemptive buff.

I like it more than classical healing and bar watching.

I also get to shoot people to heal them. That makes my day.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The hard mode Foundry is where you get one of the parts--specifically, after defeating the final boss, there's an item by the treasure chest that's not there in normal mode. You can get the parts in any order. So I could have done hard mode Foundry and the False Emperor flashpoint first (which--can I just say how great the final boss fight in both those flashpoints are?), and then gone searching, but I left the Foundry to last. (I wasn't going to--I was going to have a Republic alt go find the part in the Jedi Temple last as a sort of "winding down", but then I found the Foundry impossible to solo, so I gave up on it for the night.)

But yeah, last night was a good night. Got my murderbot, got a new gun with comms, found a guild.
    Man, these Sith are irritating.

I hope I get to murder my way through them as an Agent, otherwise I'll have to find out which Imperial does get to murder their way through them.

My agent and yours, Orca. All the way.

My agent is of two opinions, actually. The first opinion is, "There's nothing wrong with the Empire the immediate execution of every Sith alive wouldn't solve".

And his opinion when he's sober is, "Give me the Empire, but with Jedi who serve instead of Sith who rule; that's a government I'd be proud to be a part of."

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Well, Rhaevos is a bro.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    ohhh, it was the account wide thing that I wasn't getting.

might not get much use out of it then, I generally only want an armor set or a particular color crystal for one or two characters

The nice thing about those collections is that you can usually throw the armor on your companions so you'll always have a set of modable gear. Also kinda makes it seem like you have a team uniform.

• Options
    Are the improved experience character unlocks worth it? I'm eying 'em, but at 275K+ apiece for 30% I'm choking on the price.

• Options
    Okay, the Agent gets a sweet looking starship.

How come all the Republic starships look like butts?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Are the improved experience character unlocks worth it? I'm eying 'em, but at 275K+ apiece for 30% I'm choking on the price.

I get the flashpoint one, but as a subscriber I basically level via flashpoints class quests and experience boosts.

• Options
    the FP one is the only one that's really worth it imo, and only then if you run a lot of FPs as you level

the class quest exp one is pretty useless since it only applies to the completion bonuses, and the space mission one might be good if you ran a ton of space missions but who does that really

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular

Trooper Starship has to be the worst. You get a real feeling of the Republic senate at work here.
    Nobody could decide which side of the ship should be the front, so all of it is the front. Also the inside layout is a mobius strip you cannot escape.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    Jesus, even undergeared for 55 non-Ops stuff, HK still wrecks faces.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Fixer40000 wrote: »

Trooper Starship has to be the worst. You get a real feeling of the Republic senate at work here.
    Nobody could decide which side of the ship should be the front, so all of it is the front. Also the inside layout is a mobius strip you cannot escape.

The number of times I've gotten lost inside the trooper ship. Jesus.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Worst ship is the bounty hunter

Here is a brick with some sticks poking out of it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDes wrote: »
    Worst ship is the bounty hunter

Here is a brick with some sticks poking out of it

I love the bounty hunter ship. Everything is instantly easy to find, and besides which the layout is like a treehouse. I wish I could live in that layout for real.

Externally it's not the most beautiful, but it's better looking that the Jedi ships for sure.

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Rerolled on Jedi Covenant. Had a blast beating the starting world on my JK. I forgot how fun the combat can be.

I was so dumb a couple months back. I logged in a noticed I could strip the mods from my armor so I spent all my credits screwing around. This time around I know I can buy unlocks :(
    You may want to update the OP, and maybe I missed it, I bought an account inventory module unlock on the GTS and it didn't seem to work on my new character. I guess they can be bugged?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Rerolled on Jedi Covenant. Had a blast beating the starting world on my JK. I forgot how fun the combat can be.

I was so dumb a couple months back. I logged in a noticed I could strip the mods from my armor so I spent all my credits screwing around. This time around I know I can buy unlocks :(
    You may want to update the OP, and maybe I missed it, I bought an account inventory module unlock on the GTS and it didn't seem to work on my new character. I guess they can be bugged?

There's a limit to how many you can unlock. If you are already at 80 slots in your inventory, the unlock won't work.

• Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    I think there are still some unlocks that are bugged even when you should be able to use them. When you search on GTN they'll be darkened (looking like you can't use them). I think you can open a ticket to exchange it if you're a sub, not sure if you're not.