As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] "We Have the Best Shit" Open Beta now Live!

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I think I figured out my login problems. It's the stupid IP address = security thing.

I'm currently stationed in Korea, and thus use a VPN to pretend I'm in the US, so my IP changes every time I connect the VPN. Not sure how fast it updates the "this IP is ok" database for the game servers after I verify it on the website.

I really hate that. Hulu also tells me that I'm not allowed to use it, even though it expressly says that overseas US military bases are A-OK to use Hulu.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    So uh, anyone who was having performance issues, do this:
    Someone found an apparent fix for performance issues. Delete everything in this folder.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\NCSOFT\WildStar

Outdated config files and other nonsense.

It's been posted on reddit with Carbine responses that they're seeing a lot of people say this is dramatically improving their FPS (they're watching the reddit thread to track down the exact culprit within the folder). You can always just rename the folder (I did this) too.

I went from occasionally hitchy (it hasn't been bad lately) at minimum view distance, to absolutely no lag with every slider turned out to max and my camera zoomed all the way out.

Here's my issue.

That's where ALL of your config options are, it's also where you put your addons. So... What am I supposed to do with my addons? Just delete everything but them?

Correct, deleting those items will reset your UI (though things like keybinds are safe). I deleted everything but my Addons folder in that folder, though it's hard to say if it gave me a performance boost since I wasn't really having a lot of issues to begin with. Just had to configure everything again and I'm certainly not getting worse performance.

My game client used to crash sometimes too which I don't think I experienced after doing the above last night. Although it was fairly intermittent to begin with so I can't say that it's fixed yet either.
    @Melkster‌ Exiles even kind of have the Reaver's on their side! That's basically what Mordesh become if they don't get their daily dosage.

To be fair, if the Mordesh don't get their daily dosage I don't really see them being on anyone's side.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    So, ima start an exile nexus guild when i get home tonight just to really confuse evryone. Though also cause my granok warrior rampython is 15 and spirting this bitchin looking chest piece.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    So this open beta will also reset before the release, just so I'm clear?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Acharenus wrote: »
    So this open beta will also reset before the release, just so I'm clear?

Yes, this will reset before headstart and release.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Beeel, I am particularly interested in seeing if you get any performance boost from that trick posted not long ago. You have been in the beta a long time and it sounded like you had a decent rig, word is it's supposed to help someone like you the most

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So could someone shoot Akeche an invite to the Dominion guild?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    If anyone feels like reading the full transcript of the reddit AMA:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yn6r-aisJTW2ndEN3M0h1N3ckUrNMKCgLNRW3-E0WMY

Warning: It's long. But also filled with a ton of good info.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I did the delete addon thing.

Before I did it the framerate was noticeably bad at high. Now I run it at Ultra without much fuss.

Though in the grand scheme of things the game still doesn't run as well as it should on my rig, but it is fine enough for me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I don't think it's the add-ons so much as the settings file.

People who saw 0difference changing settings before do after that trick.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    So, ima start an exile nexus guild when i get home tonight just to really confuse evryone. Though also cause my granok warrior rampython is 15 and spirting this bitchin looking chest piece.

I won't tell you not to if you want to, but at that point any beta Exiles will be so scattered that there's almost no point. Beta's only another week.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Beeel, I am particularly interested in seeing if you get any performance boost from that trick posted not long ago. You have been in the beta a long time and it sounded like you had a decent rig, word is it's supposed to help someone like you the most

So yeah, I hadn't touched that folder until last night when I did that trick. I started seeing 40fps-50fps stable in Illium in every place but the radiant garden for some reason. it wiped my addons but then again I only use like what...five mods? the two most important of those being a chat text font replacement and a combat health bar mod

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Can anyone on invite Heartshot to the dom guild?

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Guild Join Request: Itshardtofindaname (For that Dominion guild as well)

godmode on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Oh, I just discovered my other characters that had previous invites are no longer members.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »

So yeah, I hadn't touched that folder until last night when I did that trick. I started seeing 40fps-50fps stable in Illium in every place but the radiant garden for some reason. it wiped my addons but then again I only use like what...five mods? the two most important of those being a chat text font replacement and a combat health bar mod

I just renamed that folder and while I am not seeing huge FPS increases, I am seeing much more stable FPS. Much better!

p.s. If anyone is on, I'll take a Dom guild invite. Name is Grendly.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    @Melkster‌ Exiles even kind of have the Reaver's on their side! That's basically what Mordesh become if they don't get their daily dosage.

You have to deal with this in a quest line in Galeras on Exile side too! It was one of the more fun ones for sure!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Chua are awesome and I've never seen Firefly, so suck it Exiles!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I guess we have a verdict on the following the friends situation eh

• Options
    Friends are just exile spies that haven't betrayed you yet. Remain vigilant, citizen.

• Options
    Praise the Emperor, for he approves of our obscenely large research budgets.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    @Rorus Raz‌ I didn't care much for the TV show honestly, but the film -- Firefly -- is pretty kickass. I highly recommend it.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Someone has to oppress the masses, Might as well be us!~

• Options
    fix for crafting is on track for Monday

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Played through the Exile starting zone after the tutorial zone last night/this morning.

Holy jesus fuck it's like a million times better than the stupid Dominion.

First of all, you're on this transport ship flying down to Nexus. It gets shot to hell by the dominion, lands in the middle of an ice storm. You start off by rescuing people in the huge crash site, Lost-style, while simultaneously fighting off Yetis in the middle of the blizzard.

Fuck yeah, that's awesome.

Aside: The next couple quests involve you finding a way to end the blizzard, which was actually being generated by the ancient Eldar. That's interesting, isn't it? I can't help but wonder if another Blizzard was on the minds of the developers here...

• Options
    The difference between the dominion arkship and the exile arkship is mainly the story starts on the exile one but the dominion story doesn't really start until you head planetside, Levian Bay specifically. Everything until then is mood lighting for Doms since...well...they have it pretty good over there.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    AMA Highlights from the first 1/2 of it.

NAMING AND GUILD NAMES:

CRB_Cougar:
    But what about the name reservations? What about organizing our guilds? To the former; name reservations are global. This means you will not select a realm when you reserve a name. Your name is attached to your email address for 90 days post launch, and no one else can get it. As to organizing your guilds, I'm totally sympathetic to your plight. I've done my fair share of day 1 guild organization and I remember one game in the past that we had to decide "Pick the first PVE realm that starts with a 'C'". I understand that isn't optimal, and I'm going to prevent our guilds from doing THAT level of last minute coordination.

That means:
    we do NOT need to know the realm name.
    when we pick our NAMES and GUILD NAMES it will be globally locked to our emails for 90 days. That means you only need to worry about picking your name, and guild name and submitting them.
    You only get to choose 1 name to prevent shitheels from squatting all the names.
    When Launch/Headstart arrives, we only need to select our server, spend all the time in the world to primp our characters to uniqueness, then type in the name we locked, and bam. easy-peasy.

ECONOMY
    ->So. Gold Spam. How're y'all gonna stop it?
    Banhammer, level requirements to spam, easy reporting UIs/mods, lots of GMs, backed by our own personal hatred of such.

-> Not to mention C.R.E.D.D discourages it as well
    Man, missed an opportunity to pimp CREDD. Thanks.

-> I just read up on what C.R.E.D.D. actually is, and I don't really understand how it would discourage gold sellers...Mind clearing that up?
    There is a legal outlet for buying gold effectively from other players, so many folks will opt for that, making gold farming less profitable.

->Your stand on "catch-up gear" content? Like if I want to get into raiding say about year after release and I of course need to get proper gear to get into raiding. So are you planning to do 5man dungeons with some godly gear or other catch-up mechanics?
    We'll want some catch-up mechanics that are also fair to the long-term raiders; I know the econ guys have thought but thank heavens that's a ways out yet.

->Will it be possible to purchase high end gear or tier equivalent gear via the Auction House? In other words, given the existence of the CREDD system, will it be possible to buy power in this game with cash?
    In general, nope. In practice, there may be a few BOE pieces of appropriate rarity/difficulty to acquire that spice up the mix, but buying power is a dangerous thing to systemize.

BOOM BOXES and BETA SWAG
    ->Can you give us more info about how Boom Boxes work? Will the contents be bound to the character that opens the box or will the items be account bound.
    Many super-rare contents are actually tradeable (even via AH), most are character bound. It's reasonable feedback to instead make them account bound.

->Will pre-order hoverboards from Deluxe edition, or ones from winter beta be redeemable at level 25 or earlier?
    CRB_Beepz: You'll be able to see the Deluxe and winter beta hoverboards in your account inventory at any level, and they can be redeemed by any of your level 25 characters.

->Will the winter beta hoverboard in live be the same model as the one in beta?
    Long the same lines, will the highwayman costume and any other unlocks from beta or PTR (excluding Boom Boxes) be available for each character created or one per account?
    CRB_Beepz: Yep, the winter beta hoverboard is known as the "Flux Hoverboard", which is available for purchase on the mount vendors in the capital cities.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Wait, that's Tara Strong doing this voiceover! This game is the best on so many levels I don't even really know how to put it into words.

• Options
    I may shut down the Exile PvP tab since it's under ten members and hasn't had an update in a while.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    How much outfit variety have people seen so far?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    pretty much every piece of gear had a different model and/or texture to them. there may be repeats, but I haven't noticed yet.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    You don't get the really interesting stuff until your 20s, but so far it looks nice enough.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Wait, that's Tara Strong doing this voiceover! This game is the best on so many levels I don't even really know how to put it into words.
    Tara Strong voices many Aurin, Cree Summer voices Chua and at least one exile human, and Jim Cummings does most male Granok.

Oh, and I think John DiMaggio voices one of the Brightlands.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Played through the Exile starting zone after the tutorial zone last night/this morning.

First of all, you're on this transport ship flying down to Nexus. It gets shot to hell by the dominion, lands in the middle of an ice storm. You start off by rescuing people in the huge crash site, Lost-style, while simultaneously fighting off Yetis in the middle of the blizzard.

Aside: The next couple quests involve you finding a way to end the blizzard, which was actually being generated by the ancient Eldar. That's interesting, isn't it? I can't help but wonder if another Blizzard was on the minds of the developers here...

What, what Race/Class? The Aurin Spellslinger and Mordesh Warrior I rolled both ended up in the same Forest zone (though with different start locations and different intro quests before they merged at the first outpost). That sounds awesome and I'd like to try it out.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »

What, what Race/Class? The Aurin Spellslinger and Mordesh Warrior I rolled both ended up in the same Forest zone (though with different start locations and different intro quests before they merged at the first outpost). That sounds awesome and I'd like to try it out.

Granok/Human would default to that zone. Though Mordesh/Aurin can choose to go there from the arkship tutorial instead of their default.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »

You mean, you don't wish to be an Oosik Breakfast Marine?
    That's totally fair because I am the worst Guild Master ever!

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I may shut down the Exile PvP tab since it's under ten members and hasn't had an update in a while.

Maybe toss all their data to the bottom of the exile spreadsheet, just so it's still around?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Sounds like the Exiles are being . . . Exiled.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    moocow wrote: »
    I think I figured out my login problems. It's the stupid IP address = security thing.
    I'm currently stationed in Korea, and thus use a VPN to pretend I'm in the US, so my IP changes every time I connect the VPN. Not sure how fast it updates the "this IP is ok" database for the game servers after I verify it on the website.
    I really hate that. Hulu also tells me that I'm not allowed to use it, even though it expressly says that overseas US military bases are A-OK to use Hulu.

That sounds like something you should be able to take up with Hulu customer service. Probably they have whitelisted the on-base internet IP addresses, so it's the VPN that is blocked. Or if you are using the connection regularly, you just need to ask them to whitelist your IP range there.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    fix for crafting is on track for Monday

Ugh. So the first weekend of open beta is going to feature broken armor crafting professions. That's not going to look good. I'm just glad the weaponsmiths and technologists are working fine.

This discussion has been closed.