As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THEY TOOK OUR JERB thread so here is the new one. [Job Thread]

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I mentioned that we took our trivia show on the road to 150+ RIT students, right?

Right.

So here's the thing: I don't like being challenged on answers by the crowd. Slows things down, makes things a tremendous pain in the ass, etc. The deal is if you challenge us and you're wrong I'm going to take 200 points from your team. Which because of how we do things is an almost crippling amount.

However, to be fair, if you challenge us and we're actually wrong...I'll sing a song.

It has never happened. We've been challenged, but we have yet to be wrong.

...until last Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmDcbOAGYRc

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I wasn't the one who peed in that bottle, but it couldn't have happened to a more deserving douchebag.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    full 2 day hr orientation. wont even get to my desk until wednesday.

oof.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    full 2 day hr orientation. wont even get to my desk until wednesday.

oof.

Will the be tests?

When in doubt, choose the option that says "contact HR" or "contact the law department"

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    So first I have a minor freak out because I couldn't find my keys because I put them in a weird place last friday.

Then I still managed to be the first one at work so I had to open the gate. The wind or just the way the gate is built had put all of the gate's weight on to the lock. In the few minutes I spent pushing, shoving, prying and wiggling the lock I managed to cut my hand.

Yay for monday.

Oh and at least one of our domain controllers shit the bed sometime yesterday or this morning.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    "Why does <program> have to reset my password if it's expired? That's just dumb."

because... its... expired? and you didn't change it? Not sure what this person was expecting...

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I get the feeling that a lot of people see technology as some magic box that just does what it says with no maintenance or consequences.

When they run up against an issue due to lack of maintenance or a security measure, they just see it as a waste of time. So, you tell an exec that the network infrastructure needs to be modified for an IPv6 cross over from IPv4, and they have no idea why they should waste the time or money.
    You tell someone why they can't reuse their password and they're blank faced.
    You explain that just because the sales rep said a program or machine was easier than your current one doesn't mean that it is, and they wonder why.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I learned something new on Friday. Zipties are awesome in their own right. The best possible solution for attaching stuff to more stuff. The new age duct tape.

When you attach them to a driveshaft something magical happens.

It brings chaos and confusion. I haven't laughed that hard in years.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    "Hey Dan, I've been trying to send email from my company phone and it hasn't sent in the past few days"

"After we reset everyones email passwords, did you read the instructions for entering it into your email account on the phone?"

*blank stare*

"Okay, here *goes into the settings to the password field* Go ahead and enter whatever you set your new password to in here and hit Done"

*fumbles with it for a while* "It's not working"

"Are you sure? It's whatever you set your email password to"

"You mean the code I put in to unlock my phone?"

"No, your email password, that you changes two weeks ago."

*blank stare*

"Let me see the phone *sigh* What's your password?"

*blank stare* "Oh...uh...[password]

*types in password, everything saves, starts getting dings about outbound/inbound email* "Okay, it's fixed."

*blank stare*

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I mentioned that we took our trivia show on the road to 150+ RIT students, right?

Right.

So here's the thing: I don't like being challenged on answers by the crowd. Slows things down, makes things a tremendous pain in the ass, etc. The deal is if you challenge us and you're wrong I'm going to take 200 points from your team. Which because of how we do things is an almost crippling amount.

However, to be fair, if you challenge us and we're actually wrong...I'll sing a song.

...until last Thursday.

so the real question is: What were you wrong about?

• Options

Right.

...until last Thursday.

so the real question is: What were you wrong about?

The kicker is, after review the next morning...we were totally fucking right. But it was 3 of us against 150 cranky students so..uh...I sang.

The question (which was the final question of the game and set to determine the whole thing) was:

"Who is the first historical figure that Bill and Ted pick up while on their excellent adventure?"
    Our official answer was "Billy the Kid."

A few members of the crowd got angry and began wikipediaing (after I had already logged their answer, so it was legit). Those same people began to give us shit that it was Napoleon. Rioting ensued. We caved.

However, we should have stuck to our guns. Billy the Kid was the first that they *picked up*. Napoleon just fell through the fucking portal.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    80 degrees out?

"Begun, the air condition war has."

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I would argue with it to. Picking up accidentally is still picking up. And as nobody was literally picked up with their hands, but all traveled in the booth, I would have sided with the students. So good on you for caving and singing, you did the right thing.
    Thus spaketh me from On High

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    I would argue with it to. Picking up accidentally is still picking up. And as nobody was literally picked up with their hands, but all traveled in the booth, I would have sided with the students. So good on you for caving and singing, you did the right thing.

Napoleon didn't ride in the booth.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Fuck those kids.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    As a part time rule lawyer expert: those kids were wrong.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Fuck those kids.

counterpoint: don't fuck kids

• Options
    prude

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Fuck those kids.

counterpoint: don't fuck kids

http://youtu.be/4x_3ZzHdyB8?t=8m43s

(Scott and Kris show NSF Language)

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    More lightning striking the airfield and a shooter in Frandor. Weeee!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    The card says Moops!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Napoleon didn't ride in the booth.

He didn't? My bad, misremembered.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I hate it when companies let their email get clogged. Now I have to spend tomorrow morning calling a scuba gear rental shop in Hong Kong.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I hate it when companies let their email get clogged. Now I have to spend tomorrow morning calling a scuba gear rental shop in Hong Kong.

I want your problems

• Options
    ugh I don't speak any cantonese.

• Options
    then come to ATL instead

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    then come to ATL instead

flights need to be cheaper. Or my salary needs to be higher. Either/or.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Had my first interview.

It basically went down like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsxYfYCbVC0

I feel pretty good about it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

How long will you be in HK?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    around 4 days. Well, five, technically, but the fifth will be mostly spent ducking over to Taiwan for a meeting.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Wednesday is review day.

We will see if my multi-page novel entitled 'Why Am I So Awesome - The Self Review' had the appropriate effect.

364 days of the year, I am a pretty down-to-earth, hardworking, humble guy who elevates others and thinks the best recognition of a good job is that people give me more responsibility.

On self-review day, though, I will give you -lists- of data and facts that demonstrate why I am unquestionably the best person ever to do my job. Because it is the one chance I have to make the case in front of everyone who handles my review as to why they should give me more money.

The best compliment I ever got was, upon receiving my actual review, that they had nothing else to add because I'd covered it all.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Merit based raise of 3%.

Ain't a lot, but it ain't nothing. I'll take it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    As a first time manager, I have to say that doing the reviews of the guys that had comprehensive self reviews was SO much easier. People do themselves a disservice when they don't take the self review seriously and half ass it. It makes you look like you don't care and why should I fight for you if you don't care about yourself?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I think I have a fairly good starting ground on some changes I want to see made in our project. However, my proofers and backup haven't given me their thoughts, so I am not ready to present it. So I've spent today trying to document and figure out why this danged piece of software isn't working right when it should be by all reports of the program.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I have my assessment tomorrow.

I think I'll be okay, but I'm still nervous

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    EMAIL RECEIVED

Not the official offer yet, they wanted an estimate of how many hours I'd be working w current employer as I transition away from them; got that number after talking with my boss and sent the info over. Hoping to have an offer by 5.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    One of the coolest things that ever happened to me in a review, I have to say, was having 'is a strong and vocal advocate for inclusivity and diversity' as something that pushed my rating up.

Sometimes, working here is all kinds of alright.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So many times a day, I am tempted to tell people: "Learn your fucking job, jackass." Nevertheless I actually like taking chats. Some recent bad news may mean that someone with higher seniority will take position in chats and I'll have to do something else that includes taking incoming calls. Even if it's only 2 - 3 calls a day (which it appears that's all it will be), I really hope no one takes my chats away.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Today I am doing maths to make sure we can move this 135k lb hunk of steel safely

And by move I mean flip it end over end

I love my job

Usagi on
This discussion has been closed.