Options

[Watch Dogs] GTA4 impregnates Deus Ex, while NVidia PhysX watches like a voyeur. +DRM

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I pre-ordered this on PSN

From what I hear it's going to be the first PS4 game available for pre-loading?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I don't meet the minimum requirements. In the words of the Internet 'lol ubisoft'.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Does the game do anything with the PS4 controller's light and/or speaker? I could maybe be swayed to go PS4 version if so.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Nothing we know of yet.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    good fucking lord

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464098/watch-dogs-review-embargo-lifts-on-release-day/

"OMG UBISOFT IS HIDING SOMETHING RELEASE DAY EMBARGO RSDOLFIJKSDFLOIEHF"

-every- triple A game has a release day embargo for reviews.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Look, just because they're standard doesn't mean it's a good thing.

They want those preorder dollars...

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm really hyped for the hype backlash when it turns out that this is just a game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Man, if this game turns out to actually be good I'm going to have to eat so much crow.

I'm putting my money on formulaically average :P

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    For me it basically boils down to:

Is the story compelling and fun enough to go through once?
    Can I roam around and hack and shoot and cause random mayhem to my heart's content?

If the answer to both of those is 'yes', then this will be a solid purchase. Also I'm hoping the cops in this game aren't omniscient as they are in GTA IV and V (thereby nullifying any chance for fun mayhem).

Halfmex on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    For me it basically boils down to:

Is the story compelling and fun enough to go through once?
    Can I roam around and hack and shoot and cause random mayhem to my heart's content?

If the answer to both of those is 'yes', then this will be a solid purchase. Also I'm hoping the cops in this game aren't omniscient as they are in GTA IV and V (thereby nullifying any chance for fun mayhem).

*Pull into alleyway, shut off car lights, duck down.*

Thing you can actually do in the game.

• Options
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    No, duck down in cars. Game changer.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I think he is messing with you :P and you fell for it.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yes and I was being totally serious about ducking down in cars being a game changer.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Look I'm sure the game is awesome and all that, I'm just not pre-ordering. There's nothing wrong with waiting a bit to see how others react to the game. I didn't pre-order Sleeping Dogs, picked up in a sale about a year after release and LOVED IT. Played it to death and enjoyed every second. It's the same with Watch Dogs, I'll just sit on the fence for a bit.

• Options
    I've started getting proper excited about this game again now that we're so close to release

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The things I'm disappointed about since E3:

All the videos post-E3 make it look more and more like GTA with some minor environment manipulation gimmicks.
    The video that showed Mr. Generic Gravelly Voice didn't actually create the Uber Phone and is working with a bunch of other people. Kills the singular pissed off and smart vigilante I was hoping to play.

That doesn't mean it won't be fun. It's just not going to match the game I really wanted to play. I was really hoping for a new kind of experience, where having unfettered access to everyone's information actually meant something. This may deliver that, but all indications point to no, which is disappointing.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I just hope I can pretend its a Shadowrun: Hacker game, kind of like Deus Ex is about as close to playing a Street Samurai as I'll get.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking that this is going to be like Assassin's Creed 1.
    Plenty of hype, tons of inference that things that we don't see evidence of are there, and people resenting that they're not.

And if that means that the series will turn out like Assassin's Creed as well, I'll live with it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So I'm thinking that this is going to be like Assassin's Creed 1.
    Plenty of hype, tons of inference that things that we don't see evidence of are there, and people resenting that they're not.

And if that means that the series will turn out like Assassin's Creed as well, I'll live with it.

If that means we get the Watch Dogs versions of AssCreed II and AssCreed Brotherhood, I'll be all for it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    good fucking lord

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464098/watch-dogs-review-embargo-lifts-on-release-day/

Though typically that embargo lifts some time before release date, unless they're hiding something bad.

Granted this isn't a smoking gun of poo or anything, but it sure ain't a good sign.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Watchdogs Milan - a lusty European Watchdogs.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    good fucking lord

Though typically that embargo lifts some time before release date, unless they're hiding something bad.

Granted this isn't a smoking gun of poo or anything, but it sure ain't a good sign.

Nah

It's actually rare for a game to lift the embargo pre-release day

This is always a thing with Ubisoft, Black Flag and the last Splinter Cell had a release-day embargo and both did quite well critically

• Options
    good fucking lord

Batman Arkham Asylum or City can't remember which actually had an embargo that lasted past the release day.

• Options
    Basically they have to have tremendous faith to lift it pre-release day

I remember it happening for Halo 4 and Tomb Raider but yeah

It usually isn't the case

• Options
    The bright eyed child within me would like the reason for embargoes to be something along the lines of them wanting people to play the game before listening to a possibly biased reviewer rag on the game for whatever reason.

The cynic in me says it's all about the money even if they're rock solid sure with their game (I am)

The realist says it's probably split right down the middle. The executives want the money while the people who made the game want their fans to experience the game without some asshole with an axe to grind spewing his hate juice all over a perfectly fine game.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    At least in the movie industry, it's so they can sell as many tickets as possible without people getting a warning out that it's a big turd.

There's also some crazy PR message control in there when it comes to games that may or may not have any effect on sales. Depends on the company and who's running things at the time. But yeah, still taking it as a potential red flag, considering how many big-name games get advanced reviews.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    At least in the movie industry, it's so they can sell as many tickets as possible without people getting a warning out that it's a big turd.

There's also some crazy PR message control in there when it comes to games that may or may not have any effect on sales. Depends on the company and who's running things at the time. But yeah, still taking it as a potential red flag, considering how many big-name games get advanced reviews.

but at least it kinda makes sense in the movie industry since films have such short theatre runs and studios need to make as much as possible during that time. there's really no real or genuine reason why games sales remain so front loaded other than, perhaps, our own insatiable desire to have what ever is shiny and new. such to the point that we can't even wait even just a moment past launch day for reviews or opinions in most cases.

• Options

That doesn't make for great testing. Hopefully they have a whole slew of testing machines, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Makes sense to me. No sense in 90% of the dev team having Titans.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Sure says a lot about this generation of consoles that a few year old high tier but not crazy GPU will run a game at Ultra (at what i assume is 1080p).

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Sure says a lot about this generation of consoles that a few year old high tier but not crazy GPU will run a game at Ultra (at what i assume is 1080p).

Watch Dogs is still a cross-gen game. I'd wait until we have exclusive current gen and PC titles before writing off this new generation. While I'm sure the 670s will last a good long while, I'm not sure it'll really crush things like The Witcher 3 when that comes out next year.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Ain't no one running Witcher 3 on Ultra for like a year or two if Witcher 2 is anything to go by regarding their graphics.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    What people don't seem to get about DLC that's made before the game releases is that the content only exists because people are willing to pay extra for it. Ie, if there was no such thing as preorder bonuses and DLC, resources for the creation of that extra content would not have been allocated. They don't make the game then slice it into DLC, the DLC is made because they can make extra from it. It's this bizarre resentment people have developed, like they are somehow being shortchanged or ripped off. I've got news for you, without the incentive of DLC sales, that content would not exist.

While this is usually true, sometimes devs do slice off content to make an extra buck. Not as common as some think, but it sadly does happen. You just have to address day one dlc on a case by case basis, like everything else in life.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Can I put ducks in cars? If no, preorder canceled.

• Options
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Watch Dogs is still a cross-gen game. I'd wait until we have exclusive current gen and PC titles before writing off this new generation. While I'm sure the 670s will last a good long while, I'm not sure it'll really crush things like The Witcher 3 when that comes out next year.
    There's no reason to write off the current gen, but they're still only as powerful as a mid-range PC. That's OK. The big reason to pick up the heftier video cards are to support resolutions beyond 1080p, and 4K TVs are still in the "pretty goddamn expensive" ballpark. In three to five years, we might be looking at a different situation, which won't be kind to consoles that struggle with resolutions greater than 720p.

• Options
    Ducks in cars is so last gen. I want to put cars in ducks.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Ducks in cars is so last gen. I want to put cars in ducks.

This takes the cake for weirdest fetish I have ever seen.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Is "CPU to match" the recommended i7 that most people don't have, or some kind of i5 that actually 'matches' a 760 in price?

captaink on