Options

old steem thred

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    I would definitely play Bad Rats for charity, the only problem being I don't exactly find it an offense against God. Just my sensibilities. :/

(Disclaimer: I don't have much upstream. Fortunately, neither does the game.)

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Steam Thread!

So, I've been playing Tomb Raider, and it reminded me how much I love explore-y collectathons, and my wife was interested as well. Are there any good games that give you that Assassins Creed/Tomb Raider exploration/collection of things without the combat?

Hmmmm.

Uru ticks the exploration box but notsomuch the scavenger hunt.

How about Prince of Persia? Huge collectathon, and that combat is so thin I would argue that it doesn't really exist.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Ooooooh, wait, that's not something I want up at the top of a page. What if a potential employer sees it. ._.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Iolo wrote: »
    How long is the matching donation going for?

Good question. @Jragghen‌?

I posted around 8 pm pacific last night, but I'll be out at a bar tonight at the time, so let's say midnight EST. Mind you, I'll still be at a bar THEN, but it makes for a convenient ending time.

And what the hell, since he only posted shortly before, I'll also count @MrVyngaard‌ 's donation. So that puts current count at $348.24.
    And is there a limit? I might not be able to drop what I was hoping to, because my wife's laptop just kicked the bucket so I've got to replace that, but I think I'll still have some cash left over to make a nice donation.

There is, but

tumblr_macgdfyqFW1rwmb58.gif
    For all intents and purposes, I don't want there to be, but I wanted to cover my ass in case someone goes "HEY, HERE'S 10 GRAND, MATCH THAT"

Jragghen on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That is fucking aces, @Jragghen‌.

Alright, you heard the man. Time to pile on and punish him for his generosity (a grand Steam Thread tradition). Four and a half more hours of doubled donations!!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    This is a dumb question but what do you get from crafting badges again?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Usually each craft gets you three items, among which would be digital artwork, emoticons, et cetera.

You also get experience to 'level up' your account, which earns you more friend slots.

• Options
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

A profile background, an emoticon, a coupon for a random game (or a sale-related card instead, during Steam sales), and finally the privilege & satisfaction of knowing that you are better than the unwashed masses who have not crafted that badge. o:)

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    You get a new showcase for every ten levels of your profile too.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

A profile background, an emoticon, a coupon for a random game (or a sale-related card instead, during Steam sales), and finally the privilege & satisfaction of knowing that you are better than the unwashed masses who have not crafted that badge.

i don't want anything to do with the people who craft vanguard princess badges

but it seems like they pay well for things. . .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DUE, it's amazing what people will pay for anime cards. Cards for Vanguard Princess, Agarest, etc. all command very high values. I paid for half of Agarest last year just by selling the cards.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    DUE, it's amazing what people will pay for anime cards. Cards for Vanguard Princess, Agarest, etc. all command very high values. I paid for half of Agarest last year just by selling the cards.

Yeah it's made putting badges together for some of my favorite shmups a pain in the ass.

• Options
    Yeah, hahaha, all those crazy people who buy cards.

oh god I have the highest level in the penny arcade group, don't I

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

A profile background, an emoticon, a coupon for a random game (or a sale-related card instead, during Steam sales), and finally the privilege & satisfaction of knowing that you are better than the unwashed masses who have not crafted that badge.

i don't want anything to do with the people who craft vanguard princess badges

but it seems like they pay well for things. . .

I j-just got a booster pack that sent my card collection up to 8!
    I f-figured, y-you know... might as well buy the what's left...

B-baka! Don't get the wrong idea, it's not l-like I like this game or anything!!

In all seriousness, I was in a huge badge crafting spree in preparation for the Summer Dales.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    What the fuck did I just get roped into?
    You set yourself up to stream bad rats

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    So quick question. With the Steam sale looming ever closer, I find that I may be in Europe for the duration of the sale. Is there any way for me to pay for stuff in USD, given that my bank is in the U.S.?

Yes and no. I normally charge to my credit card, which has no problem with overseas purchases like GOG or GreenManGaming. But when I was abroad during a Winter Sale, Steam would not let me make purchases on my US account with my US credit card from a foreign IP address, and I know it wasn't the credit card's fault because I used it exclusively on the trip and pre-approved it for foreign travel.

Your best bet would be to use Paypal as a third party (set it up to draw from your credit card), or just put money into your steam wallet now.

Well, By "may be in Europe", I mean "I'm already in Europe and will be for the next 2 weeks or so", so the wallet thing is out. How does the Paypal work to get me the U.S. prices? Because I'm seeing prices here in Euros.

You can also email Steam support, and let them know you are out of your region. They can allow your account to make purchases from out-region and give you a store URL to hit that will return in-region pricing.

Worked for me when I was in the US for work one Christmas.

Hmm...might give that a try. Thanks a ton.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    heroesrise.jpg

@Berylline‌ is clearly under the impression the sale started already (she also has terrible aim because surely she meant to hit Isy!). Beware, folks!

Thanks! <3 Looks like a clever choose-your-own-adventure sort of thing. <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Let's try this again.
    So Valve made a 15(!) minute Team Fortress 2 video, and it's basically the best. Expiration Date

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Madican wrote: »
    Steam sale tomorrow? But I'm at work. And cell phones are forbidden inside prison grounds.

I will have to experience it vicariously through all of you and also be thankful that flash deals are eight hours long (they are right?) so I can snag them when I get home.

Aren't cellphones one of the number one things that are smuggled in to prisons so gangs can keep in contact with the outside?

Just go find some AB leader and tell him you'll sneak him some hostess cupcakes or something if he lets you borrow his droid for a minute.

CorriganX wrote: »
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Woo. I was worried you assholes would be making me stream more, but i'm all for laughing at smokes and bery as their timers get longer. <3

Here you go Corrigan, 2 more stream hours just for you, we can't leave all those scary games unfinished now, can we?!

This is why no one likes you portugators. >:(

I would like to take a moment and restate that I stand tall with the Portuguese people, like the cork trees in the majestic valleys of the Alentejo region, in their valiant quest to push Corrigan's marathon time ever longer.

Against the cannons, march! March!

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I dunno, I recall being tipsy in Germany and buying a copy of The Swapper during the last Summer Sale. Though that might have been with Steam wallet credit.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Very off chance, but has anyone tried DreadOut yet? I see that its supposed to be in two parts, and I've seen SOME gameplay of it that piqued my interest, but wanted to see if anyone has hands on details about it. Im going to need more horror games for my streams apparently, so if anyone has any suggestions on games I don't have yet and can look into, let me know.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Very off chance, but has anyone tried DreadOut yet? I see that its supposed to be in two parts, and I've seen SOME gameplay of it that piqued my interest, but wanted to see if anyone has hands on details about it. Im going to need more horror games for my streams apparently, so if anyone has any suggestions on games I don't have yet and can look into, let me know.
    paranormal If you got it in a bundle awhile back for desura you should be able to snag a steam key over there now. (I believe).

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Steam Thread!

So, I've been playing Tomb Raider, and it reminded me how much I love explore-y collectathons, and my wife was interested as well. Are there any good games that give you that Assassins Creed/Tomb Raider exploration/collection of things without the combat?

Hmmmm.

Uru ticks the exploration box but notsomuch the scavenger hunt.

How about Prince of Persia? Huge collectathon, and that combat is so thin I would argue that it doesn't really exist.

Beat that long ago, but yeah, pretty much something else like that! Some combat is okay, especially if its action and not shooting (my wife is terribad at shooters of any sort, so doesn't like to play them).

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Pretty much out of all the horror games that have come out in the past year or two, DreadOut is the only one that is actually a good videogame.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Pretty much out of all the horror games that have come out in the past year or two, DreadOut is the only one that is actually a good videogame.

Are you sure you're thinking of DreadOut and not Daylight or Outlast?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So, are we goin with the rumored Friday start date or does it begin in July again this year?

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    So, i was looking through my Humble Bundle library and realized there were a few games i hadn't redeemed, and am not likely to, so....waste not want not, a contest is in order, mayhap.

So, you've listened to Welcome to Night Vale, yes? No? What's wrong with you? Go do it, i'll wait.

Ok, so, periodically they'll have a "word from our sponsors" bit, basically commercials in Night Vale's signature style. What i'd like is what you think what a commercial for Steam would be like, were it advertised on Night Vale Community Radio. Doesn't have to be the full thing, just the tag line would be fine.

Prizes up this go around are Antichamber, Starseed Pilgrim, and poor, poor Megabyte Punch (which noone gave a home to last time, for shame).

The contest will run until 10p Friday, June 20th (Japan time). Entrants can PM me, or leave a message on my Steam profile with their submissions and desired game. In the event of multiple entries for the same game, the winner will be determined by interpreting the noises coming out of Hidden Gorge, as is tradition.

i'll leave some examples in the spoiler block, in case you're unfamiliar.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    So, are we goin with the rumored Friday start date or does it begin in July again this year?

It's starting Thursday.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Are you sure you're thinking of DreadOut and not Daylight or Outlast?
    Yes. Because those are BAD VIDEOGAMES. Outlast has no gameplay beyond running from dude and hoping to bumble your way to the exit. It's not even hard to run from dude because the AI is batshit stupid!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Shade wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Well, looks like it worked. Kinda.

a03IKNn.png

Except it isn't like this is something you can just flip on. As the post says, its probably been in the pipe for weeks or months. They probably planned to roll it out right before the sale because it has less backend resource congestion.

Basically dude still got what he deserved.

It seems like I'm missing part of the story, here?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/17/euro-truck-simulator-2-developer-gets-one-year-steam-ban-for-demonstrating-security-flaw/

Oh. Dude deserves the ban.

Yep, which is why no one should ever report or demonstrate security flaws. Because as Target, LivingSocial, Blizzard, Adobe and Ebay have shown: no one will ever exploit them anyway.

Especially ones that allow access to user's session IDs and also allows users to be unknowingly redirected to a screen(while still within the steam browser) that could say something along the lines of "Your stored credit card information has expired, please enter a new method of payment."

And peoples reactions like "Got what he deserved lol" is the reason that the silly gooses that think its ok to take months to fix that kind of flaw.

/InformationSecurityRAGE

...Oh, and I beat Hard Reset and was kind of pissed at the ending or rather lack there of, great game though otherwise.

EDIT: Here's a great visual:
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/worlds-biggest-data-breaches-hacks/

Except to demonstrate them openly actually increases abuse! Surprise!

For every 'success' story you have SQL injection exploits that last for months because there just isn't any way to roll out the fixes that cover all bases but those 'helpful whitehats' just keep abusing it to 'prove it and OMG BE HELP.' because they want to be internet famous.

Sorry, but 90% of 'helping' proves to just be a pain in the ass unless its someone hired by security firms to do an actual analysis and be useful. I know people grew up on Hackers and shit and think the internet is full of good people, but that isn't really how it works either.

So, yes, what that person did was pointless and could have led to a lot of people abusing it that didn't even know it existed to begin with. Keep on with thinking the dude is some kind of folk hero though.

If it did anything, it probably forced them to roll out the new system even quicker which possibly have left in new and exciting exploits as Q&A time was cut short! Thank you random internet dude, for all your help!

:|

Related to actual games: The MMX Legacy thing works just fine. Got my key instantly. Registered just fine. I think its a great deal and I'm probably going to plop down some hours on MMX because hey, I love this kind

Security through obscurity hasn't been a valid strategy for a while now. And in this case the exploit was pointed out months ago. This wasn't some random script kiddie trying to show off his epeen. This guy told them months ago and was blown off. Valve appeared to have flat out ignored someone pointing out a flaw without so much as a "we're working on it." You don't get to be surprised when they try to force your hand when you are endangering your users.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Let's try this again.
    So Valve made a 15(!) minute Team Fortress 2 video, and it's basically the best. Expiration Date

That's pretty damn fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLlLQ3LmZWU

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Butts.

@Jragghen‌
    @CorriganX‌
    @Iolo‌
    1qbx9yal2zrq.png

Edit - I forgot to mention that this donation drive made me resub to amazon prime, and I wanted to rant about how they increased it from $79 to $99. Rabble rabble!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Well, looks like it worked. Kinda.

a03IKNn.png

Except it isn't like this is something you can just flip on. As the post says, its probably been in the pipe for weeks or months. They probably planned to roll it out right before the sale because it has less backend resource congestion.

Basically dude still got what he deserved.

It seems like I'm missing part of the story, here?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/17/euro-truck-simulator-2-developer-gets-one-year-steam-ban-for-demonstrating-security-flaw/

Oh. Dude deserves the ban.

Yep, which is why no one should ever report or demonstrate security flaws. Because as Target, LivingSocial, Blizzard, Adobe and Ebay have shown: no one will ever exploit them anyway.

Especially ones that allow access to user's session IDs and also allows users to be unknowingly redirected to a screen(while still within the steam browser) that could say something along the lines of "Your stored credit card information has expired, please enter a new method of payment."

And peoples reactions like "Got what he deserved lol" is the reason that the silly gooses that think its ok to take months to fix that kind of flaw.

/InformationSecurityRAGE

...Oh, and I beat Hard Reset and was kind of pissed at the ending or rather lack there of, great game though otherwise.

EDIT: Here's a great visual:
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/worlds-biggest-data-breaches-hacks/

Except to demonstrate them openly actually increases abuse! Surprise!

For every 'success' story you have SQL injection exploits that last for months because there just isn't any way to roll out the fixes that cover all bases but those 'helpful whitehats' just keep abusing it to 'prove it and OMG BE HELP.' because they want to be internet famous.

Sorry, but 90% of 'helping' proves to just be a pain in the ass unless its someone hired by security firms to do an actual analysis and be useful. I know people grew up on Hackers and shit and think the internet is full of good people, but that isn't really how it works either.

So, yes, what that person did was pointless and could have led to a lot of people abusing it that didn't even know it existed to begin with. Keep on with thinking the dude is some kind of folk hero though.

If it did anything, it probably forced them to roll out the new system even quicker which possibly have left in new and exciting exploits as Q&A time was cut short! Thank you random internet dude, for all your help!

:|

Related to actual games: The MMX Legacy thing works just fine. Got my key instantly. Registered just fine. I think its a great deal and I'm probably going to plop down some hours on MMX because hey, I love this kind

Security through obscurity hasn't been a valid strategy for a while now. And in this case the exploit was pointed out months ago. This wasn't some random script kiddie trying to show off his epeen. This guy told them months ago and was blown off. Valve appeared to have flat out ignored someone pointing out a flaw without so much as a "we're working on it." You don't get to be surprised when they try to force your hand when you are endangering your users.

Actually, if you researched at all, you'd find that this only worked for registered steamworks community devs. You know, people Valve has the actual skinny on because they have to have actual legally binding accounts. Valve responded with a, 'It's cool, it only works for devs, we trust you guys, don't be dicks.' response and labeled it as not a bug that needed to be worked on. Probably because, as was just learned this very day, they were completely changing the backend so wasting time working on what probably wasn't a super simple fix would be a waste of time.

But hey I'm sure he knew better then the people working on the platform. I mean we can ignore that those same devs have access to uploading binaries so if they ever have account access compromised someone could just load binaries directly to games to do whatever they wanted anyway.

So in this fashion we should totally disable all dev access because they aren't trustworthy enough not to exploit a script issue (That was being replaced.) and force them through Microsoft style Q&A before any binaries can be released.

This is, of course, the only way security can be maintained. because devs are obviously untrustworthy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Whatever, guys. Steam unbanned that dude, and they fixed the problem.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Edit - I forgot to mention that this donation drive made me resub to amazon prime, and I wanted to rant about how they increased it from $79 to $99. Rabble rabble!

Still a bargain, depending on how much you actually take advantage of it. They could make it 2x or 3x that and I would probably still come out ahead every year. I've been a Prime member since day 1 and have always considered it money well spent. :)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    This is, of course, the only way security can be maintained. because devs are obviously untrustworthy.

This is absolutely true.

I mean, it's not like they'll let just anybody sell their games on Steam.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @bloodatonement as the guy who decides what is what, im going to arbitrarily decide that you get to place 2 hours upon one of the 4 members of the marathoning team because thats close enough to $15. <3 Thank you for your generosity!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
This discussion has been closed.