Options

[chat] un Rendez-vous

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Random comment seen on another website:

"It's a comic book, everything is temporary, except Uncle Ben stays dead."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    cptrugged wrote: »
    /shrug

Forum handles are like nicknames. I don't find it too weird to call folks by that if that's what you're used to. I still have a buddy from highschool who to this day calls me "Pencil" (My nickname in highschool was Pencilman) and I call him "Sakana" (His nickname).

I'll still try to call folks by their real names when I can. But otherwise I don't think its a big deal if you're rocking a nickname or handle.
    Names are just references anyway. If the reference works and is not objectionable, then whatever. Their origin does not give some special status, really.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    As far a social discourse is concerned, the "War on Women" is becoming more of a myth while the War on Men is reality. Why is it that since women characters can't compete with their male counterparts, women have to leech on to the male characters in order to be successful? There's already been "Thor Girl" and that didn’t do very well. Lady Sif had her run and those sales were dismal. Does making Thor a woman really lend credibility to gender neutrality? No. This is caving in to political correctness that treats the male gender with contempt. There is no valid reason to make Thor a woman other than all women characters modeled after Thor have failed. So making Thor a woman will compensate for those previous failures. Why not make Wonder Woman a man? Oh wait, that would be sexist.

leeches, man

why not make wonder woman a man

why not make wonder woman a bread

wondershot.png

WHAT HAVE THESE CARELESS HANDS WROUGHT?

y it gotta b white

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Look, people believe false things all the time.

Like, right now, I more than likely have some false beliefs. It's a side effect of not being omniscient.

So if someone really earnestly believes that they are a Dragon, then that's fine. As long as that belief doesn't hurt anyone, I don't care...

But them believing that they are a Dragon doesn't mean that they are a Dragon. Just means that they believe something false. No biggy.

but that's exactly the point i was trying to make i think.

we good liberal-minded people accept transgenderism and have trans friends and use the right pronouns and support legal rights etc.

and we ask those who don't accept that transgenderism is an actual thing to just be tolerant and indulgent even if they don't believe or accept that a translady is a real actuallady.

i.e., we demand a legal and social framework in which people have the basic right of identity self-determination.

and i have no idea whether furries are a product of disney movies or otherkin are an internet fad for sad kids or transracial people will be only as long-lived as tumblr or whatever, but the trend has been that people are increasingly demanding broader respect and acceptance of their identity or lifestyle assertions. i don't think they'll just go away after transgender is normalized

And even if transgendered being normalized is absolutely what should happen (and it is), at what point on the march towards "freedom to be" do we collectively say "nope that is a mental illness or a cry for attention and not a real thing?" Your answer to that question you will find is answered more by feelings than facts most of the time, and that kind of sucks.

I feel like a pretty solid line can be drawn at "real things that a sentient".

A human being can be born male, but be female. I'm okay with that.

A human being can be born human, but believe they are a dragon. That, I'm less okay with.

Would you say that opinion is based on feeling more than fact?

Body integrity identity disorder
    Body integrity identity disorder (BIID, also referred to as amputee identity disorder[1]) is a psychological disorder wherein sufferers feel they would be happier living as an amputee. It is related to xenomelia, "the oppressive feeling that one or more limbs of one's body do not belong to one's self".[2]

BIID is typically accompanied by the desire to amputate one or more healthy limbs to achieve that end. BIID can be associated with apotemnophilia, sexual arousal based on the image of one's self as an amputee. The cause of BIID is unknown. One theory states that the cause of BIID is a neurological failing of the brain's inner body mapping function (located in the right parietal lobe). According to this theory, the brain mapping does not incorporate the affected limb in its understanding of the body's physical form.

Symptoms of BIID sufferers are often keenly felt. Sufferers of BIID are uncomfortable with a part of their body, such as a limb, and feel confident that removing or disabling this part of their body will relieve their discomfort. Sufferers may have intense feelings of envy toward amputees. They may pretend that they are an amputee, both in public and in private. Sufferers experience the above symptoms as being strange and unnatural. They may try to injure themselves to require the amputation of that limb. They are generally ashamed of their thoughts and may try to hide them from others, including therapists and health care professionals

People without legs are real. We don't pretend people with BIID are legless (or whaever) or amputate because that's how they think it should be.

When Mitt Romney pretended he was Mexican (tbf he didn't actually but it approached that) we didn't nod politely. Mexicans are real.

Transgender is treated differently, largely as a byproduct of the gay rights movement.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If I ever meet up with forum peeps I'll go by my handle, because there are so many Dans here.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    trans-italian would be the easiest for a white person to pull off

just dye your hair black and bathe in olive oil every morning

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Since races are constructs of society who gives a shit

In a thousand years hopefully nobody gives a crap how much melanins you've got floating around inside you.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Random comment seen on another website:

"It's a comic book, everything is temporary, except Uncle Ben stays dead."

not according to my erotic fan fiction

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Per 90s talk earlier:

I am at lunch and the radio has played, in quick succession,

- "All That She Wants"
    - "It's All For You"
    - "Mr. Jones"

ffffffffffffffffffffff

at least they didn't finish up with a killing blow of "what's up" followed by "two princes"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    OH GOD NOW IT'S THAT ONE SANTANA SONG.

I AM SO SORRY ACE OF BASE PLS COME BACK

Dishwalla in 3...2...1...

I get knocked down
    but I get up again

i smell sex and candy here
    whos that lounging in my chair

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Thtorm

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Was Michael Jackson transwhite?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Per 90s talk earlier:

I am at lunch and the radio has played, in quick succession,

- "All That She Wants"
    - "It's All For You"
    - "Mr. Jones"

ffffffffffffffffffffff

Was it the "classic rock" station?

/wrists

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    For instance, at one point you were not white if you weren't a WASP. Within our lifetimes, Hispanics will be considered white so that certain segments of the population can avoid uncomfortable changes in rhetoric.

I think that I care less and less about the weird, harmless things people on the internet want to believe.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I will voluntarily listen to this Sugar Ray.

• Options
    We're establishing a new version of feudalism with our erotic obsession with corporate citizenship, let's worry about that more and worry less about pre op transcentaurs or whatever some kid on twimbler is posting about.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

f500b056_south-park-1513-a-history-channel-thanksgiving-clip01.jpeg

ACCEPTABLE.

• Options
    We're establishing a new version of feudalism with our erotic obsession with corporate citizenship, let's worry about that more and worry less about pre op transcentaurs or whatever some kid on twimbler is posting about.

eat the rich, got it

*grabs pitchfork*

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Echo wrote: »
    OH GOD NOW IT'S THAT ONE SANTANA SONG.

I AM SO SORRY ACE OF BASE PLS COME BACK

On that note, today I read that whatshisface that one guy in Ace of Base got evicted.

The article referred to him as the "pop superstar".

Well, maybe 20 years ago. 8->

sweden's popular music industry is an elaborate troll on the rest of the world

evidence:

abba
    rednex
    roxette
    ace of base
    aqua

i don't know what you guys listen to in your own country but i know it's not this shit

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Look, people believe false things all the time.

Like, right now, I more than likely have some false beliefs. It's a side effect of not being omniscient.

So if someone really earnestly believes that they are a Dragon, then that's fine. As long as that belief doesn't hurt anyone, I don't care...

But them believing that they are a Dragon doesn't mean that they are a Dragon. Just means that they believe something false. No biggy.

but that's exactly the point i was trying to make i think.

we good liberal-minded people accept transgenderism and have trans friends and use the right pronouns and support legal rights etc.

and we ask those who don't accept that transgenderism is an actual thing to just be tolerant and indulgent even if they don't believe or accept that a translady is a real actuallady.

i.e., we demand a legal and social framework in which people have the basic right of identity self-determination.

and i have no idea whether furries are a product of disney movies or otherkin are an internet fad for sad kids or transracial people will be only as long-lived as tumblr or whatever, but the trend has been that people are increasingly demanding broader respect and acceptance of their identity or lifestyle assertions. i don't think they'll just go away after transgender is normalized

And even if transgendered being normalized is absolutely what should happen (and it is), at what point on the march towards "freedom to be" do we collectively say "nope that is a mental illness or a cry for attention and not a real thing?" Your answer to that question you will find is answered more by feelings than facts most of the time, and that kind of sucks.

I feel like a pretty solid line can be drawn at "real things that a sentient".

A human being can be born male, but be female. I'm okay with that.

A human being can be born human, but believe they are a dragon. That, I'm less okay with.

Would you say that opinion is based on feeling more than fact?

Body integrity identity disorder
    Body integrity identity disorder (BIID, also referred to as amputee identity disorder[1]) is a psychological disorder wherein sufferers feel they would be happier living as an amputee. It is related to xenomelia, "the oppressive feeling that one or more limbs of one's body do not belong to one's self".[2]

BIID is typically accompanied by the desire to amputate one or more healthy limbs to achieve that end. BIID can be associated with apotemnophilia, sexual arousal based on the image of one's self as an amputee. The cause of BIID is unknown. One theory states that the cause of BIID is a neurological failing of the brain's inner body mapping function (located in the right parietal lobe). According to this theory, the brain mapping does not incorporate the affected limb in its understanding of the body's physical form.

Symptoms of BIID sufferers are often keenly felt. Sufferers of BIID are uncomfortable with a part of their body, such as a limb, and feel confident that removing or disabling this part of their body will relieve their discomfort. Sufferers may have intense feelings of envy toward amputees. They may pretend that they are an amputee, both in public and in private. Sufferers experience the above symptoms as being strange and unnatural. They may try to injure themselves to require the amputation of that limb. They are generally ashamed of their thoughts and may try to hide them from others, including therapists and health care professionals

People without legs are real. We don't pretend people with BIID are legless (or whaever) or amputate because that's how they think it should be.

When Mitt Romney pretended he was Mexican (tbf he didn't actually but it approached that) we didn't nod politely. Mexicans are real.

Transgender is treated differently, largely as a byproduct of the gay rights movement.

Do you have a problem with those people cutting off their right leg or whatever if that's what they want to do?

Does it hurt you somehow?

Or do you just think that society should be protecting them from this self-destructive urge they have. Because I'm fairly certain it isn't outside the realms of possibility to require someone to have medical and psychological exams before starting. If doctors and psychologists can't figure it out and the guy really wants someone to cut his arm off, why stop him?

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    (My nickname in highschool was Pencilman)

i won't ask

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    sweden's popular music industry is an elaborate troll on the rest of the world

People are still falling for the lutfisk hoax!

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

f500b056_south-park-1513-a-history-channel-thanksgiving-clip01.jpeg

ACCEPTABLE.

pro tip race and culture are different things fyi hth

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Also Aqua was Danish.

• Options
    90s music reminds me of being a child.

Then I realize I won't be a child ever again. Then I hyperventilate. Then I run outside and ride a bike around crying about the finity of our lives and the futility of trying to preserve what we have with one hand on the handlebar and the other holding a bottle of bacardi 151 by the neck as I take intermittent swigs.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Also Aqua was Danish.

Close enough.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    sweden's pop music is taking over even today

tove lo, little dragon, MO, icona pop, lykke li, royksopp, etc etc

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

Then I realize I won't be a child ever again. Then I hyperventilate. Then I run outside and ride a bike around crying about the finity of our lives and the futility of trying to preserve what we have with one hand on the handlebar and the other holding a bottle of bacardi 151 by the neck as I take intermittent swigs.

you realize that's drunk driving right

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    do not call me beast irl you goddamn nerds...it's BEAST!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    I admit I listened to shitty eurodance/europop crap a lot in the early-mid 90s. I knew that I liked electronic music, but I had yet to find the seedy underbelly of the electronic subgenres where my black, shriveled soul belonged.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I don't understand trans-racial.

Like, at all.

When people are sincere about it, it's them identifying with a cultural stereotype and not realizing that race is almost entirely external, how people perceive you.

So people are like "Hey, I really like rap music and I'm more comfortable with black people than white people, I guess I'm basically black."

Never mind that they would never have to walk the streets afraid some random racist WASP is going to feel threatened and pull a gun for no reason, they (probably) don't have to worry cops are going to find bullshit excuses to frisk them or search their cars, etc.

??

This doesn't sound right. Trans-anything takes discipline and commitment to get things right, not a dipping of the toe to test the waters.

I don't think it's possible to "get things right" for transrace. Unlike gender, it's a cultural distinction (as others have said on this page). Obviously there are some differences in appearance, but those are a lot more superficial and cosmetic than the differences in gender.

That doesn't mean I'm going to be an asshole if a white guy comes up to me and says that his name is Jing Xiao and he's really Chinese, mind you. I'll go ahead and call him by his chosen name.

• Options
    Also Röyksopp are Norwegian.

• Options
    Also Aqua was Danish.

o god they were so awful

when denmark is rated the most livable country in the world i know they're not adjusting for aqua

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »

you realize that's drunk driving right

If Saints Row and GTA have taught me anything, it's that it's easier to escape the police on offroad vehicles because you can go places where their pathing is fucked up.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    do not call me beast irl you goddamn nerds...it's BEAST!

What if someone mispronounced it as "BEEEAAAST!!!"?

• Options
    As a Swede I am obliged to post this whenever Denmark is mentioned.

It's in the constitution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I swear that yesterday I saw a poster for an upcoming festival that had Moby as the headliner and, in tiny print, Dishwalla as the very last act on the bill.

But I can't find the poster now.

My Google-fu has failed me. I just wanted to make fun of Dishwalla and smoke salvia like all the cool kids.

Gim on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

These complaints remind me of the little shitfit the internet had over Black Heimdal in the Thor movie.

This discussion has been closed.