Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I don't understand the logic behind not giving any of the quake games a decent sale during the QUAKECON SALE.

Or that the QUAKECON bundle has no actual Quake games in it.

I also saw pictures of guys at Quakecon playing WoW and Smite. Why do they even call it Quakecon?

Nothing makes sense anymore.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I am ... hesitant to mention this.

(because it might be a super dangerous weapon for the classassins. It might also have been mentioned in the past; it's about a year old)

but I went looking for, and found, a tool to check how many people in a given group own a given game.

For example, of the 674 people in Adventure Time, only 3 own Advent Rising. That's one copy for every 224 (ish) persons!

(the takeaway from this example is that more people should own Advent Rising, so I can make badges :P )

it does fail to scan private profiles, even if you're signed in through steam. Signing in does generate a list of your groups, and allows you to search amongst your friends directly.

Tamin on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic behind not giving any of the quake games a decent sale during the QUAKECON SALE.

I also saw pictures of guys at Quakecon playing WoW and Smite. Why do they even call it Quakecon?

Because Doomcon makes even less sense these days?

Fake edit: RAGECON

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Because Doomcon makes even less sense these days?

Fake edit: RAGECON

Nah its cool, theyre making a new Doom.

I dont know why every time I see a Bethesda sale I get my hopes up about seeing the Skyrim DLC go on sale at the same percentage as the Legendary Edition because every time that doesnt happen. Its $10 cheaper for me to rebuy the base game and get the DLC than it is for me to just get the DLC.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @Gear Girl sent me a fruit basket!

2O5PO1m.jpg

vmAiJUy.jpg

Well, not fruit exactly, but still tasty treats in the form of a well-regarded Diablolike killing damn dirty vampires (et al.) and a Drake Approved (TM) procedurally-generated murder mystery.

Thanks, Gear Girl!

EDITx2: That makes it 39 forumers since the gift policy reset! Wow. Seems a shame to have the giveaways be on a different number...

signature.png

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    how much does the Skyrim DLC add to the game? and is it interesting enough that I need to play it? another playthrough is going to take me at least 100 hours, I loved Skyrim but I have so many games I haven't yet played

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    how much does the Skyrim DLC add to the game? and is it interesting enough that I need to play it? another playthrough is going to take me at least 100 hours, I loved Skyrim but I have so many games I haven't yet played

In order of content? Dragonborn>Dawnguard>Hearthfire. Just buy legendary during the next steam sale, because lol Bethesda pricing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    yeah, it's on sale now for £6.79 so it would be all of it I'm buying, the legendary edition is cheaper than buying either of the main DLC's but really I just want to know if the DLC is good and adds enough to Skyrim that it is worth my time playing through it again. I loved it but I also have (as everyone else here does) far more games than I have time to play

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Ugh, this reminds me I still have to find out why Skyrim keeps bugging out on me in the intro. The Stormcloak guy never talks to me, which means that when we get to Helgen where the carriages are supposed to stop nothing happens. I figured it was one of my mods, but I uninstalled all of them and it still happened.

I'm half temped to say screw it and install a alternate start mod, but I feel compelled to start the game the way the makers intended.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    @Iolo is (as everyone already knows!) awesome. Just gifted me Skyward Collapse out of the blue!

His spontaneous generosity reminds me: I have a copy of FTL, and I've had a hell of a time giving it away. Anyone out there who doesn't have it? Send me a PM, if so.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Skyrim is the same price right now as it was during the summer sale daily, so it's a fair time to pick it up if you like. I can't tell you whether Dawnguard or Dragonborn is any good, because I haven't started those or the main quest because I'm too busy building a goddamn house. The world's crises can wait, but deciding between an alchemy tower and a storeroom absolutely cannot.
    @Kristmas Kthulhu your Sorcerer's Lair score is still showing as your old one?

no worries, I beat the new one :)
    A5B1506E53B3093C31EEE7F452EA34C8F058966B

I should have had more too, I was 1 mission away from a 3rd midnight mode! that was really good fun, please beat this score so I can play it again

Yer a wizard, 'ikdaly.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    It's not uncommon for games to store the save files in the Appdata folder.

I can't think of any major titles that do. Maybe indies by new/inexperienced devs who don't know any better. I have bazillions of games that all save their games in the My Docs folder somewhere. As they should.

Personally, save games in the Documents folder annoys me. My Documents folder contains 60+ folders for games/game devs and it's a huge mess.

I don't need to access save files outside of games often enough that that mess makes sense. I would much rather have them in an out of sight location, such as the AppData folder. Or even better, in the Saved Games folder introduced in Windows Vista, that for some reason very few games make use of.

Some devs use Documents\My Games, which is admittedly less messy.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    yeah, it's on sale now for £6.79 so it would be all of it I'm buying, the legendary edition is cheaper than buying either of the main DLC's but really I just want to know if the DLC is good and adds enough to Skyrim that it is worth my time playing through it again. I loved it but I also have (as everyone else here does) far more games than I have time to play

Hearthfire is a little one that adds several areas to build a huge house to put all your shit you'll never look at again
    also you can be a terrible parent to orphans

Dawnguard is all about super vampires and it's pretty good, adds skill trees for vampirism and lycanthropy to make them more useful, and there's a great easteregg or two in it also

Dragonborn I haven't got to yet, but I hear it's even better, you go back to a few parts of Morrowind I believe, and of course both this and Dawnguard add more items and shouts

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I can't think of any major titles that do. Maybe indies by new/inexperienced devs who don't know any better. I have bazillions of games that all save their games in the My Docs folder somewhere. As they should.

Personally, save games in the Documents folder annoys me. My Documents folder contains 60+ folders for games/game devs and it's a huge mess.

I don't need to access save files outside of games often enough that that mess makes sense. I would much rather have them in an out of sight location, such as the AppData folder. Or even better, in the Saved Games folder introduced in Windows Vista, that for some reason very few games make use of.

Yes, abuse of the documents folder annoys me so much. I wrote a script that moves all my save game folders to the Windows "Saved Games" folder and creates hidden junctions. Games still work, but I don't have to look at all their crap.

Re: AppData, just looking at my save game list, it is indeed mostly indie titles that use that folder, with one major exception. A lot of (all?) of GOG.com's games put their saves in AppData/Local/GOG.com.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I ended up ordering a 760 gtx for $250 which was universally acclaimed as awesome on newegg. I'm gonna RMA my old card once that gets here. All this to play State of Decay and Hearthstone without crashing...

Oh, the new card comes with a free copy of Watch Dogs, which I have no desire to play at all. So expect a giveaway once I get that key.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    All this talk of upgrades makes me glad that the insane scramble for increased graphical and cpu power is nowhere near as bad as it was 5-10 years ago. My 5 year old store-bought PC is plugging away quite nicely, and I'm sure that even just adding a SSD would be a pretty significant boost.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Hearthfire is a little one that adds several areas to build a huge house to put all your shit you'll never look at again

Dawnguard is all about super vampires and it's pretty good, adds skill trees for vampirism and lycanthropy to make them more useful, and there's a great easteregg or two in it also

Dragonborn I haven't got to yet, but I hear it's even better, you go back to a few parts of Morrowind I believe, and of course both this and Dawnguard add more items and shouts

Thanks @Forever Zefiro I'm going to pick up the legendary edition as it seems it does add quite a bit, the price is great, I was only trying to talk myself out of it as I just spent far too much money on an SSD

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I mean, I upgrade my GPU regularly, but I'm still rolling along with a real early Sandy Bridge i5 and haven't felt any bottlenecks that would make me itch to upgrade. Having an SSD makes a biiiig difference all around, though.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    A friend from college just accepted my friend request, she only has 25 games.......*twirls mustache*

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I just spent a lot of money this past year upgrading my video card, motherboard, and a new SSD. I'm good for at least a couple years.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    All this talk of upgrades makes me glad that the insane scramble for increased graphical and cpu power is nowhere near as bad as it was 5-10 years ago. My 5 year old store-bought PC is plugging away quite nicely, and I'm sure that even just adding a SSD would be a pretty significant boost.

Yep. I mean, heck, I got six years out of a Core 2 Duo E8400 and 4GB of DDR2 RAM (with one GPU upgrade in the middle). I'm hoping to get similarly good mileage out of this build.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    w2qq7ti55hdx.jpg

THAT IS TOTALLY NOT WHAT I... *ahem* let me try that again. Aww, thank you, @Corsini... erm, sorry, "elderly relative". Beats a sweater any day! <3

he4tmrfpxeif.jpg

I know it's already been mentioned, but... WHAT

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Shimshai wrote: »

Yep. I mean, heck, I got six years out of a Core 2 Duo E8400 and 4GB of DDR2 RAM (with one GPU upgrade in the middle). I'm hoping to get similarly good mileage out of this build.

I would've got significantly longer out of my old (circa 2008 Dell Studio) laptop if it had just had another quarter-gig of VRAM. Core 2 Duo T5900, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3450 with 256MB. It was that 256MB that hamstrung it badly; lots of stuff came out that would've run fine on it otherwise but required 512MB minimum. Still, it did me pretty well for a while. Left 4 Dead was excellent on it (L4D2 was too if I turned a few things down a bit), and I even coaxed it into being able to play Mass Effect 2 in a playable fashion. But anything beyond that was a no-go, really.

Games may have left it behind but I still use it as my iTunes repository even now, as my current laptop only has a 256GB SSD and space is at a bit of a premium on it, as my plans to bung a 1TB HDD in it as well have yet to come to fruition. I'm hoping this machine can last me a bit longer (Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6990 w/2GB GDDR5).

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    for those playing Watch Dogs, I know @Big Classy & @Pixelated Pixie are, I tried this seetfx setting today and for me it makes the game look much prettier, days are more vibrant and nights are darker. I don't seem to have taken an fps hit either and I have everything on ultra apart from textures because I "only" have a 2GB gfx card

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I'm lucky enough that I've got 512 of Vram on my 9600GT, so it's just enough for everything to be played at at least a solid 30fps. I might have to drop the resolution and quality down a lot, but even newer stuff like Bioshock Infinite runs great at very low graphic settings, and still looks great at 50-60 fps.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Thanks @Forever Zefiro I'm going to pick up the legendary edition as it seems it does add quite a bit, the price is great, I was only trying to talk myself out of it as I just spent far too much money on an SSD

I think I talked myself into playing more Skyrim actually

shit

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Since you're talking about computers, mine is about 3.5 years old and I've been noticing some slowdown in modern games. I was probably going to wait until no man's sky came out before I upgraded, but I'm wondering if I would be better served just getting a new video card now, or if my machine is old enough that it's not worth performing a stop-gap. Important bits in the spoiler:
    Intel Core i7-875K 2.93GHz 8 MB LGA1156 Processor
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Motherboard is full)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FTW EE 1 GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
    Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I never finished the main story for Skyrim. I did the Assassin's Guild, Mage Guild, Thief Guild, and the Companions and then I started to do the main story and I found it really stupid and boring and I stopped playing. One day I will finish it.

Didn't one of the DLC add a tree for making Werewolves not terrible?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I never finished the main story for Skyrim. I did the Assassin's Guild, Mage Guild, Thief Guild, and the Companions and then I started to do the main story and I found it really stupid and boring and I stopped playing. One day I will finish it.

Didn't one of the DLC add a tree for making Werewolves not terrible?

Dawnguard, I believe. (I haven't played the DLCs yet.)

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Since you're talking about computers, mine is about 3.5 years old and I've been noticing some slowdown in modern games. I was probably going to wait until no man's sky came out before I upgraded, but I'm wondering if I would be better served just getting a new video card now, or if my machine is old enough that it's not worth performing a stop-gap. Important bits in the spoiler:
    Intel Core i7-875K 2.93GHz 8 MB LGA1156 Processor
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Motherboard is full)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FTW EE 1 GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
    Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive
    I'd upgrade the video card for now, then wait on the rest.

sig.gif
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I hate the mess in My Documents so much, especially since publishers can't make up their minds on exactly where they're going to stick themselves in there (Just as an example, I have "My Documents\WB Games" AND "My Documents\WBGames" and can't figure out why there's a BioWare folder with Mass Effect saves in it rather than having them under the Electronic Arts folder OR why nobody in QA caught the EA game that saves into "Electrontic Arts". My Games would be best, and %APPDATA% a reasonable compromise. Games don't make "documents", after all.

Wow that got ranty.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

(because it might be a super dangerous weapon for the classassins. It might also have been mentioned in the past; it's about a year old)

but I went looking for, and found, a tool to check how many people in a given group own a given game.

For example, of the 674 people in Adventure Time, only 3 own Advent Rising. That's one copy for every 224 (ish) persons!

(the takeaway from this example is that more people should own Advent Rising, so I can make badges :P )

it does fail to scan private profiles, even if you're signed in through steam. Signing in does generate a list of your groups, and allows you to search amongst your friends directly.
    Advent Rising is still around? It came to PC? It's worth playing without the $1m grand prizes?

I remember playing it back at the E3 before it came out (before E3 restuctured), and won a tshirt for winning my group.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    There was one major thing about Dawnguard that utterly confused me the way it was handled. Don't click if you don't want spoiler.
    When you wake up Serana for the first time, after being told about a dangerous thing the vampires were seeking, you also see that she has an Elder Scroll on her back and she wants you to escort her back to her father's castle, otherwise known as the abode of the most dangerous vampires in Skyrim.

Want to know what my first reaction was upon hearing that a vampire wanted me to hand-deliver her and a weapon of mythic proportion to her evil vampire daddy? I tried to kill her. Repeatedly. And I couldn't because she was an immortal quest NPC and I had no options to remove that protection through dialogue. If there was any sort of logic in this addon then the Dawnguard side would have allowed me to destroy her and the scroll because why the hell would I, a vampire hunter, let her go?

Madican on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Just caught wind of crazy givaways @Iolo‌ is doing. That's some next level classyness right there.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So never having heard of Advent Rising before, I went to look it up. Orson Scott Card? That's all I needed to hear to convince me to give it a pass.

On a brighter note, progressing through the most recent Tomb Raider game, and I am really enjoying it. Hopefully the next one is just as good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So never having heard of Advent Rising before, I went to look it up. Orson Scott Card? That's all I needed to hear to convince me to give it a pass.

On a brighter note, progressing through the most recent Tomb Raider game, and I am really enjoying it. Hopefully the next one is just as good.

All I remember about Advent Rising was that crazy contest that went along with it

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Seems like, when the game came out, saying Orson Scott Card worked on the story was considered a good thing

and I always had the impression that it was a bit of a secret that he didn't really do much

now that him being attached is a bad thing, I guess him not doing much would be considered a positive

Tamin on
  • Options
    Tamin wrote: »

Advent Rising is still around? It came to PC? It's worth playing without the $1m grand prizes?

I remember playing it back at the E3 before it came out (before E3 restuctured), and won a tshirt for winning my group.

Holy shit, so did I! The shirt wasn't quite my size (I'm an XL or XXL, and I think they only had an L), but it was awesome to get. E3 2005, wasn't it? High five, dude.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    oh, I didn't even see BloodAtonement's post

yes, it came to PC. About a month or so after the Xbox release. I was actually attending QuakeCon that year and rushed out to buy the game.

then it wouldn't install and it took several minutes before I realized it was on a dvd

Fortunately, a friend also in attendance had a dvd drive and I was able to play a few minutes.

It's buggy like whoa, don't get me wrong; but I'm pretty much in love with the game. It's one of the few that I'll play annually: it's super fun and colorful, has a decent-to-great videogame story, and features analog decision-making / minor story branching.

The PC release was delayed, and included a handful of bugfixes over the xbox release, and, since then, some fans put together a patch called Advent Revising. I was shocked and amazed when it received steam trading cards earlier this month.

Tamin on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    There was one major thing about Dawnguard that utterly confused me the way it was handled. Don't click if you don't want spoiler.
    When you wake up Serana for the first time, after being told about a dangerous thing the vampires were seeking, you also see that she has an Elder Scroll on her back and she wants you to escort her back to her father's castle, otherwise known as the abode of the most dangerous vampires in Skyrim.

Want to know what my first reaction was upon hearing that a vampire wanted me to hand-deliver her and a weapon of mythic proportion to her evil vampire daddy? I tried to kill her. Repeatedly. And I couldn't because she was an immortal quest NPC and I had no options to remove that protection through dialogue. If there was any sort of logic in this addon then the Dawnguard side would have allowed me to destroy her and the scroll because why the hell would I, a vampire hunter, let her go?
    I did the same thing, but I'm glad I couldn't because super vampire>>>>werewolf that I always get killed when I transform into.

This discussion has been closed.