As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah well, the UK hates you too Amazon. :(

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Since there was a lot of mouse talk, thought I'd post this http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gb1h_tit_c-2_1842_e3e2ff46?node=8581771011&tag=childsplaycha-20

Amazon is having a Logitech sale. Not sure of the quality of anything but the mechanical keyboard (it's good).

Ooh, the G400s mouse is on sale. That's the current version of the ol' trusty MX518. I might actually buy one.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Talking with @Big Classy when I found out some terrible terrible fucking news.

9:11 AM - Big Isy is now Away.
    9:12 AM - CorriganX: ... are you playing skyrim with a fucking controller
    9:12 AM - Big Isy is now Online.
    9:12 AM - CorriganX: YOU ARE
    9:12 AM - Big Isy: .... no
    9:12 AM - Big Isy: why
    9:12 AM - CorriganX: YOU MOTHERFUCKER
    9:12 AM - Big Isy: so what
    9:12 AM - Big Isy: its a console fucking game
    9:12 AM - Big Isy: shut up
    9:13 AM - Big Isy: if it was made for pc, i'd play with kbam

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

I bought Skyrim on PS3 and have been regretting it ever since.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Um...the bit of Skyrim I played was also with a 360 pad...am I doing it wrong?

Edit: Also isn't there a site that estimates how long a game takes to beat? I was wondering how long Bioshock Infinite is roughly.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    howlongtobeat

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Um...the bit of Skyrim I played was also with a 360 pad...am I doing it wrong?

Edit: Also isn't there a site that estimates how long a game takes to beat? I was wondering how long Bioshock Infinite is roughly.

howlongtobeat.com I think (blocked at work so I can't confirm)

Also, whatever playtime I have in BI is one slowish playthrough.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Oh man, this thing is comfortable and an absolutely perfect fit for my hand. Holding it is that same "wow that's how it should have been all along" feeling one gets from, say, sinking into a incredibly plush living room chair in front of a 100" TV for the first time.

I've wondered about these things, but feel like I'd be less precise with them. Would it work as well as a normal mouse for, say, precision work in Photoshop or FPS reflexes?

That was my biggest concern. It's why I wanted to test a cheapie before investing in a high-end one. Give me some time and I'll report back if there are any issues. My gut feeling playing around with it so far is that it's going to be just fine.

... and I'll be doing some fine-detail Photoshop work tonight (texture editing) so I should have feedback on that specific thing.

Just to follow up a bit on this as I said I would. I did some Photoshopping last night, fairly precise texture-editing work. And then I played a couple hours of Saints Row 3.

It took me about 20-30 minutes to get the hang of the different mouse grip and its interaction with PS brushes, and then aiming/shooting and driving in SR3, during which time I thought for sure I was going to just end up switching back to my regular mouse. But it gradually fell into place and after that initial break-in, it was smooth sailing. It doesn't have the feeling of, say, coloring with a chunky jumbo crayon that I was sort of expecting. It's different, it takes a bit of getting used to, but then it's just as precise as ever. Headshots galore. :P

And I was surprised how quickly it became natural-feeling to switch from the KB over to that mouse - I was expecting to knock it around a bunch by reaching for a flatter object.

Going back to a cheap, flat, 2-button mouse here at work today is a bummer.

My one complaint is specific to this mouse, or at least its wireless. I've tried the mini-USB receiver in the back of the computer and on one of the top USB ports. In both cases, the mouse will periodically get really laggy or nonresponsive. If I can't resolve this somehow, I may end up ditching the mouse anyway - probably just grab a wired one.

@SoundsPlush‌ @Kalnaur‌

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, I will probably play Skyrim with a controller as well, just because that's how my gaming area is set up.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    as long as you're not playing an archer controller works well with Skyrim

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't really see the need for kbam for Skyrim either. There's no #360noscope crossbow headshots or any of those shenanigans going on.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    But.... but... hotkeys!

How do you play without them?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    With mods of course! http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/246/?

I can have 8 hotkeys via the D-pad and LB button combined.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    I'll admit that Skyrim without the SkyUI mod is semi-okay with a controller. Skyrim + SkyUI + KBAM blows Skyrim + Controller out of the water though.

Without SkyUI, how do you administer your massive collection of brooms?:
    i-PPTPkRk-1050x10000.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't need hotkeys to hit things with a pointy stick :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »

Yeah.... 8 hotkeys just doesn't cut it for me. Between weapon swaps and eleventy-nine spells, I need MOAR buttons. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Oh man, this thing is comfortable and an absolutely perfect fit for my hand. Holding it is that same "wow that's how it should have been all along" feeling one gets from, say, sinking into a incredibly plush living room chair in front of a 100" TV for the first time.

I've wondered about these things, but feel like I'd be less precise with them. Would it work as well as a normal mouse for, say, precision work in Photoshop or FPS reflexes?

That was my biggest concern. It's why I wanted to test a cheapie before investing in a high-end one. Give me some time and I'll report back if there are any issues. My gut feeling playing around with it so far is that it's going to be just fine.

... and I'll be doing some fine-detail Photoshop work tonight (texture editing) so I should have feedback on that specific thing.

Just to follow up a bit on this as I said I would. I did some Photoshopping last night, fairly precise texture-editing work. And then I played a couple hours of Saints Row 3.

It took me about 20-30 minutes to get the hang of the different mouse grip and its interaction with PS brushes, and then aiming/shooting and driving in SR3, during which time I thought for sure I was going to just end up switching back to my regular mouse. But it gradually fell into place and after that initial break-in, it was smooth sailing. It doesn't have the feeling of, say, coloring with a chunky jumbo crayon that I was sort of expecting. It's different, it takes a bit of getting used to, but then it's just as precise as ever. Headshots galore. :P

And I was surprised how quickly it became natural-feeling to switch from the KB over to that mouse - I was expecting to knock it around a bunch by reaching for a flatter object.

Going back to a cheap, flat, 2-button mouse here at work today is a bummer.

My one complaint is specific to this mouse, or at least its wireless. I've tried the mini-USB receiver in the back of the computer and on one of the top USB ports. In both cases, the mouse will periodically get really laggy or nonresponsive. If I can't resolve this somehow, I may end up ditching the mouse anyway - probably just grab a wired one.

@SoundsPlush‌ @Kalnaur‌
    @Pixelated Pixie‌ if it's Logitech wireless they do have a program you can download to calibrate it to eh dingle. I know the first time I tried my g700s I had the same issue and looked for A
    a solution and found that. Didn't try it myself but that's because I just keep it wired

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well how many more hotkeys can you possibly get anyway?

When is it ever enough for you people! :)

And of course I'm using SkyUI, I'm not a Philistine!

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vanilla skyrim = gamepad
    modded skyrim from nexus = kbam

It just makes sense.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    ?.jpg
    Just like you quit ID to make this garbage.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Two words: second keyboard.

You know someone wants that. And has tried it. And has probably figured out a way to do it.

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Vanilla skyrim

WHY??

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Vanilla skyrim

WHY??

Because I barely run it maxed now, mods would kill it entirely. (I'm still using workshop mods, just not Nexus)

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Two words: second keyboard.

You know someone wants that. And has tried it. And has probably figured out a way to do it.

You wouldn't need a second keyboard with the right input/hotkey mod(s).

Numpad 0-9
    Shift + Numpad 0-9
    Ctrl + Numpad 0-9
    Alt + Numpad 0-9

That's 40. Add in 1-0 keys to make 50. Then if you want you can get funkier with modifier combos (shift+ctrl+numpad, etc) and really increase the range, but that starts to get too confusing for me.

:)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    You can run a lot of mods that don't affect performance. In some ways I'm glad my pc can't handle Skyrim graphical mods, because I don't have to spend hours or days working over ENB profiles or whatever tomfoolery is the latest hotness these days.

Modding Skyrim is its own game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I might be getting a second TV/monitor handed down from my parents, so I'm jazzed to be dual screening like the rest of you folks. I might even turn one monitor sideways and use it the long way.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I might be getting a second TV/monitor handed down from my parents, so I'm jazzed to be dual screening like the rest of you folks. I might even turn one monitor sideways and use it the long way.

SO jealous. I'm rocking an acer 24" that doesn't even tilt.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    CorriganX wrote: »

Why would you not play it with a controller?
    rikdaly wrote: »
    as long as you're not playing an archer controller works well with Skyrim

I honestly don't know what you mean. I played Magic and Archery and I was constantly killing people from a room away, usually on my first shot. Unless there was some odd, glitchy curve to the arrow.

Yeah.... 8 hotkeys just doesn't cut it for me. Between weapon swaps and eleventy-nine spells, I need MOAR buttons. :D

I use the favorites menu. But I was just using bow, back-up dual weapons when something for maybe too close, and about 5 spells total. And healing potions.

And if I ever feel the need for Sky-UI, it will only be so I can install the other mod that takes it all away but leaves MCM. Because I actually like the controller-based UI.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Vanilla skyrim

WHY??

Because I barely run it maxed now, mods would kill it entirely. (I'm still using workshop mods, just not Nexus)

Skyrim runs maxed on relatively old rigs - even my just retired 6-year-old toaster was capable of it. You shouldn't be "barely" with what you have. And not all mods hurt performance - many have no impact at all. The ones that would have the most effect are graphics mods (most of which are not that good anyway) or very script-heavy mods that are poorly optimized. Also stuff like body and clothing mods that are unnecessarily high-poly, badly optimized, or have ridiculously oversized textures (I can't count the number of times I've seen relatively simple outfit textures saved at 2048 or 4096(!) resolution, or saved in DXT5 format even though they don't require an alpha channel, or similar issues).

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SkyUI is absolutely compatible with a controller setup, and is far superior to the standard interface whichever way you choose to play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkyUI is absolutely compatible with a controller setup, and is far superior to the standard interface whichever way you choose to play.

Could you explain why? Because to me it just looks more cluttered and less visual. More like a spreadsheet than anything else by the screenshots.

• Options

Pfft. My monitor is even smaller than that. And ancient.

Maybe in another year or two I can at least move up to a 27" or something...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Oh right, the tilt thing. That could be a problem. I was just planning on propping it up with some tape or boxes or something.

Maybe I'll have to get one of those dual monitor stands with the telescoping arms so I can also use these as a standing desk.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Could you explain why? Because to me it just looks more cluttered and less visual. More like a spreadsheet than anything else by the screenshots.

this was my thought when I tried SkyUI, it probably works better KBAM but I didn't really see the need for it using a controller

I have an acer 24", it does tilt but I've been thinking about upgrading to something a little bigger for a while now, I just can't justify it at the minute when this one works perfectly well

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vanilla skyrim

WHY??

Skyrim runs maxed on relatively old rigs - even my just retired 6-year-old toaster was capable of it. You shouldn't be "barely" with what you have. And not all mods hurt performance - many have no impact at all. The ones that would have the most effect are graphics mods (most of which are not that good anyway) or very script-heavy mods that are poorly optimized. Also stuff like body and clothing mods that are unnecessarily high-poly, badly optimized, or have ridiculously oversized textures (I can't count the number of times I've seen relatively simple outfit textures saved at 2048 or 4096(!) resolution, or saved in DXT5 format even though they don't require an alpha channel, or similar issues).

I actually have it running max but I have AA disabled. Which is hardly terrible but honestly, i'm a graphics mod guy, I don't get what other mods I should be downloading. SKYUI is nice but the vanilla setup is actually good enough for what it does. And I genuinely can't think of anything else that isn't on the workshop. Seriously, I have like 130 or so mods from the Workshop, this isn't vanilla in the traditional sense of the word, it's just vanilla in that I am not using Nexus.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    This is how I'm picturing everyone (other than Isy) playing Skyrim

mksb4v5e9rxd.jpg

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

Not all of us folks get to dual screen. While it's true that my laptop can accommodate two other displays, I have by no means taken advantage of this, which means everything is played on my 17.3" screen.

Then again, in a one bedroom apartment there is little room for more screens . . .

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've never done a single mod on any game I have in Steam.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

For me? Sortable columns and comparing item stats without swapping around to look at them each in detail.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Vanilla skyrim

WHY??

I actually have it running max but I have AA disabled. Which is hardly terrible but honestly, i'm a graphics mod guy, I don't get what other mods I should be downloading. SKYUI is nice but the vanilla setup is actually good enough for what it does. And I genuinely can't think of anything else that isn't on the workshop. Seriously, I have like 130 or so mods from the Workshop, this isn't vanilla in the traditional sense of the word, it's just vanilla in that I am not using Nexus.

Oh, well that's not vanilla at all then. Vanilla means no mods at all, not that you don't use Nexus (though I could write an essay on why you're courting game-breaking disaster by using the workshop). 130 mods is a nicely modded game. Nexus is just a mod source, not a state of the game.

But turn on the AA! Holy cow, jaggies are the worst thing. The WORST. :P

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.