As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    I don't salt my eggs, but I do insist on getting free range eggs from the markets up the road. More flavourful than cage eggs.

Also they don't require chicken torture.

Stale just told you to season your eggs.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    tumblr_ljhuykdq3i1qimkj6o1_400.gif

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Eggs are the best.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    After many years (decades!) of being unable to eat eggs (puked all the puke after eating one as a young child), I'm slowly coming round to the sulphurous little fellows. That eggy smell still puts me off, but if I can get round that they seem to be pretty tasty!

So far I have:
    Omletted
    Scrambled
    Fried
    Poached
    Carbonara'd (doesn't really count)

What other fun things can I do with my new ovular buddies? Things that are specifically egg centred that is.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    soft boiled! and hard boiled for that matter. I enjoy a hard boiled egg with salt and pepper, just eat it after peeling, no need to get fancy!

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I'm out of pepper and didn't think salt alone would work well.

A very Gordon Ramsay-ish noise just came out of my mouth.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Make a hollandaise sauce and eggs benedict perhaps? Pretty ultimate egg dish.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Campy wrote: »
    After many years (decades!) of being unable to eat eggs (puked all the puke after eating one as a young child), I'm slowly coming round to the sulphurous little fellows. That eggy smell still puts me off, but if I can get round that they seem to be pretty tasty!

So far I have:
    Omletted
    Scrambled
    Fried
    Poached
    Carbonara'd (doesn't really count)

What other fun things can I do with my new ovular buddies? Things that are specifically egg centred that is.

Coddled eggs.

Also quiche. Real home made quiche, eaten still warm from the oven, is very good indeed, nothing like the horrible clammy stuff that supermarkets sell.

Salmon quiche is my favouritest.

Make standard shortcrust butter pastry; 6oz plain flour. Add some seasoning if you like, lemon thyme works nicely, or even a little grated parmesan or pecorino.
    form it into pie crust & blind bake it in a pie dish
    bake a small piece of salmon in there with the pastry for 10 mins or so. It doesn't matter if it's not completely cooked because it's going to get cooked more.
    Leave that all to cool for a few minutes
    whisk eggs & cream & salt and a little finely chopped dill and a good pinch of salt and pepper (and maybe a little nutmeg but only a very little) in a bowl
    break the salmon up into the pie
    pour over the wets
    You can lay some baby asparagus on the top if they're in season, that's a pretty nice combo IMO.

bake in a ~150-160C oven for 20-30 minutes depending how deep it is. Use a skewer or fork to check that that eggs have set basically, The instant they are, it's done. Leave it to cool down a bit while you make a quick salad or soemthing, and eat it while still warm.

V1m on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    icecream

• Options
    Custard!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Man, all this talk of eggs made me crave them. Egg, cheese, and marmite sandwich for breakfast it is.

So glad I tried marmite, stuff's delicious.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Scotch eggs are pretty tasty.

But not as... flavoursome... as century eggs!

theincrediblestuffs_weirdegg1.jpg

YUMMO!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    brb barfing everywhere

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Century eggs are great shutup.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Most of the reviews from foreigners that I see online describe century eggs as flavorful eggs that smell terribly of ammonia. Not really willing to work through that ammonia smell for a more eggy egg.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    season your food

Why? You gonna end up with bitch eggs if you don't?

Cause I think that's how you get bitch eggs, Dan.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I can't speak to the smell since I can't smell but they taste fine! I mean it's not like you're meant to sit down and eat one whole, they're usually used throughout a dish as flavoring. We had a jellyfish and century egg dish that was pretty good

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah they're not awful.

Now if we're talking egg-related things I'm nervous about, I've never eaten balut.

In other news we're going to an ice cream festival and there's a homemade ice cream contest and while I don't think I can be arsed to submit an entry, I've been toying with the idea of a vanilla ice cream with threads of granola and peanut butter in it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    season your food

Stop talking about my eggs.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I just learned the difference between "sunny side up" eggs and "over easy" eggs. Looks like I tend to cook 'em sunny side, but I add a teaspoon of water, move the side of the pan that has the eggs off the heating element, cover and let it steam until the tops of the yolks (the whites) have been cooked...usually about 2-3 minutes.

I absolutely hate raw/runny egg whites, but I like a runny yolk, so this method works pretty well for me. The worst that happens is I spend too long waiting for the whites on the yolk-tops to turn opaque, and end up cooking the yolk through.

This method also tends to only work if you have a pan large enough where you can cook 2-3 eggs (or whathaveyou) on a single side of the pan, and keep the other half of the pan (with the water ) on the heating element. (I'm guessing this method could be bad if you leave the pan half-on a heating element for too long...and maybe if the pan isn't resilient enough to handle that heat distribution...but it's such a short time period, and on medium heat, so I keep doin' it).

In related news, I go through phases where I hate eggs, and phases where I love them. Sometimes their smell/taste really turns me off and I get grossed out...which sucks, because they're a cheap and easy way to get protein.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    season your food

Stop talking about my eggs.

I tell you what, it is a God Damn hassle to chase tynic around the yard long enough to distract her so somebody else can gather those rotten eggs from her robotic nest of horrors.

but, surprisingly good with a little wilted kale and gruyere.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    robotic nest of horrors.

and now you're blabbing about my vagina

good god, man. Have some class.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    robotic nest of horrors.

The "wilted kale" part wasn't the vagina joke?

Huh. I'll be damned.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    robotic nest of horrors.

Huh. I'll be damned.

Thanks man, now my brain has added in the gruyere, brb gonna be sick.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Why? Gruyere is yummy!

• Options
    robotic nest of horrors.

Huh. I'll be damned.

ITT we learn nobody here has the faintest clue about my nether regions.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    robotic nest of horrors.

Huh. I'll be damned.

ITT we learn nobody here has the faintest clue about my nether regions.

I think you have no-one to blame for that but yourself.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Brits, Great British Bake Off has started, many puns about tarts!

• Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    I'm clogging some arteries tomorrow at a work baby shower with this hunk of sweet fat.
    But I got too into baking again and now all I've eaten today is a granola bar and half a cup of cheesecake batter.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I had spicy tuna rolls and calamari for lunch

It was

Delicious

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

"Wellllll," said Nanny "They starts off as maids-of-honour, but they finishes as tarts"

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/richmond-maids-of-honour.html

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    All this talk of eggs and lamb made me realise exactly how lucky I am with my food

Eggs come from our own hens, lamb from our neighbours and beef from my uncle's Aberdeen Angus cattle. I'm spoilt rotten for produce. Which is great, but not so great when I'm struggling to find a good, reasonably priced butcher in the city

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    enhanced-buzz-17303-1381225559-30.jpg

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Going to miss episodes while I'm away...I did not think of that.

hmmm

hmmmmm

probably worth it, all things considered.

• Options
    I was gonna make an old fashioned but I just realised I have no bitters

how did this happen

• Options
    instead I shall invent a new cocktail and report back.

• Options
    If anyone has anything bad to say about such classic puddings as Spotted Dick or Jam Roly Poly or Canary Pudding, I have only 3 words to say to them.

The last two are "....off, then."

Wait, there 3 more

"Pass the custard"

• Options
    instead I shall invent a new cocktail and report back.

so heads up, liquor 43, moderately priced brandy, a few drops of lime and a curl of lemon rind
    ... is actually not great.

if you let about four cubes of ice melt in it, it gets pretty good though? dunno what that's about.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Could have just been too concentrated?

Speaking of odd drinks and bitters, I had an Angostura Sour last night.
    1.5 ounces Angostura bitters
    1 ounce rock syrup
    0.75 ounces lime juice
    1 egg white
    Shake with the ingredients and egg white briefly, then shake with ice. Strain and serve in a coupe.

I think... it was good? The flavor was so weird as to be indescribable.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    hello food thread, I decided to try this cooking thing everyone raves about. I ended up with vegetable chilli

hu8QhYQ.jpg

I should have taken a picture before I ate half of it. anyway it was good, if a bit mild. I believe the term for next time is "take it up a notch"

This discussion has been closed.