As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turnabout Webcomics

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I'm basically reading that page as this again
    00000785.jpg

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I would be surprised if some part of annie's mind isn't frantically working out how to show how much she Doesn't Care That Jack Has A Girlfriend With A Short Skirt

it's not that she is totally above social status, it's that she is a lil self-absorbed, I think

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    2014-08-13-28p05.jpg
    They pulled the guns out of their coats I guess.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Is it bad that I want those epaulettes?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    YjvNZXE.jpg

Leaving a ferret alone at any time is just asking for it to destroy/hide everything.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    beatcargames.png

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I dont get that one

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I dont get that one

Allen Ginsberg wrote Howl

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    But this guy's name is Allan!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh it's an Alan Wake comic

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    But this guy's name is Allan!

Driver is just being inconsiderate.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Boo

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    BmSjASm.png

Nedroid makes the world a better place.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Length

i-4nmGK6K-1050x10000.jpg

Somebody get Gabe a copy of Saga right now.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Erica Moen's I Want to Live (spoil'd for long)
    1*uVUXbXVtcRixe3Iw2lRZFw.jpeg

statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Well... damn.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    hiibs62.jpg?1
    Can super empathize w/ this

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Well he apparently moved halfway across the state after talking to the girl for three weeks and she had no idea he was coming, so.... Everybody is kinda an asshole here.

I mean, he's dumb yeah, in that special uncool college kid sort of way

But the roommate is straight up lying to a dude for shits and giggles?

These are really not equivalent offenses!

Though presumably everyone's acting like this because if he just never talked to them again there'd be no more comic strip, so...

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Listen man, I watched the first episode of 'The Guild' too.

• Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    hiibs62.jpg?1

Yeah, I flip constantly between that and this:
    Suicide%2Bbridge%2B1.jpg
    suicide%2Bbridge%2B2.jpg

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Length

i-4nmGK6K-1050x10000.jpg

Gabe's expresssion in the final panel is perfect.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    hiibs62.jpg?1

My first thought after reading the comic was, "Hoo boy, lady. If you're not gonna use the button, would you mind lending it to me for a second?"

Then I very calmly had to explain to my gloombrain that it had, probably intentionally, missed a very important part of the comic.

Then I ate a banana and felt a tiny bit better about things.

An emotional rollercoaster.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I went to a signing with Jess Fink and Kate Leth yesterday night and they were nice, and also looked super cool. In fact, there were a lot of super-cool hairstyles there.

I bought a book and got it signed and did that thing where you don't really know what to say beyond "um your work is good".

Also Jeph Jaques was there with friends which was kind of funny because it's like oh obviously, it's something webcomics related in Northampton obviously he's just hanging out here.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    hiibs62.jpg?1

My first thought after reading the comic was, "Hoo boy, lady. If you're not gonna use the button, would you mind lending it to me for a second?"

Then I very calmly had to explain to my gloombrain that it had, probably intentionally, missed a very important part of the comic.

Then I ate a banana and felt a tiny bit better about things.

An emotional rollercoaster.

I had a similar experience.

Or at least, for a few months I had the exact same sentiment, where I didn't want to do anything, but if I just happened to stop existing I would welcome it with open arms.

It was nice to see I wasn't alone.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Space01b.png
    Lightspeed travel is quite boring actually. All you can see is a big white blur. The arrival is quite spectacular, though. It make a big light cone and the wavelength shifting makes beautiful rainbow-effects
    Space02.png
    The 'Atom' Markets are made by humans. It's our main achievement in the cosmos: As far as you will go in the 'Verse, you will always find a human trying to sell you some crap
    Space03.png
    Don't ask me how it works. I just now I plug it and poof, it works. It has something to do with plasma and quantum alteration of light, that's all I can remember
    Space04.png
    Fun fact: we are among the very few species which rely on their eyes. Most of the Aliens see with ultrasounds or natural radio waves/wifi. Their clothes are beautifully decorated if you 'see' ultrasounds. For human eyes alas, they are dull grey.
    Space05.png
    All intelligent species look a bit alike. It's because biology tends to adapt to the best to physical laws. If you have to walk, nothing beats a leg. If you have to hold something, the hand is the best solution. It also has something to do with the carbon structure itself, which induce some forms.
    Space06.png
    for the food there are compatibilities. You can eat about everything which has the mention 'Carbon life Support'. But if you have some doubt, take a package with a picture: Aliens can't see them (as we can't see ultrasounds) so a package with a picture is most likely for humans.
    Space07.png
    Space08b.png
    The tricky thing for lightspeed travel is the Einstein Tunnel: you have to open a energy tunnel in spacetime behind you if you don't want to experience awkward time aberrations

The first travelers who went back from a 200 L.Y. trip found that all their relative were dead since almost 400 years. With the tunnel technique the traveler comes back near his departure instant. It's not really time travel, only the object which went through the tunnel can go back through it (something about a quantuum duplication of the particles) and nothing can overtake its departure point.
    BonusSpace.png

Bouletcorp is a comic about ordinary days. Some of the ordinary days are quite lewd.

Yes, I agree, Boulet
    Moebius absolutely was the absolute best

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I would think tycho's unnatural love of giraffes would preclude him from commenting negatively about this.
    215539431_rm82u-L-2.jpg

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    jerkcity5675.gif

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    azith28 wrote: »
    I would think tycho's unnatural love of giraffes would preclude him from commenting negatively about this.
    215539431_rm82u-L-2.jpg

Nah, Gabe says legs up to the head. That precludes any kind of neck.
    And without a long, slender neck, it's just not Tycho's thing.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Edit: And really, just because a person has a fetish or sexual deviance of their own doesn't mean they can't judge someone else's fetish/deviance as being worse than their own.
    Just ask a Republican.

see317 on
  • Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    i140812heath.jpg
    Here’s an amazing fact that maybe you’re smarter than me and it’s not news to you but maybe it will blow your mind as much as it did mine — I think maybe Ryan North’s Twitter feed is where I heard it but I’m not 100% sure. But, anyway: have you ever noticed that nowhere in the Humpty Dumpty rhyme does it mention that Humpty Dumpty is an enormous man-egg? It’s true! It’s not clear from the rhyme’s history whether he was always meant to be an egg — perhaps it was originally a riddle with his eggish nature as the answer as to why he couldn’t be reassembled. Wikipedia says that “the rhyme is no longer posed as a riddle, since the answer is now so well known.” Humpty-as-egg is such a well-known bit of pop culture, in fact, that Heathcliff and his friends have named their new eggcore band “Dumpty,” which nicely fits into the narrow space between whimsically surreal and thuddingly stupid where Heathcliff has found its sweet spot.

statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Advocate wrote: »
    This would be better if the kid was wearing a bunch of tf2 hats

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So someone posted QC awhile back.

Was I having some sort of fever-dream, or was Marten actually TRYING THINGS?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

I feel like every single strip of this comic is some variation on this theme, like smbc with better art

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I feel like every single strip of this comic is some variation on this theme, like smbc with better art

Huh? Even the ones about mythological figures?

Advocate on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Something I've been wondering about is if we should try to make a list of the rules that govern this fair thread and post them in the OP. This is what I came up with:
    Webcomic thread rules and suggestions
    • Rule: NSFW comics cannot be posted, even if censored.
    • Rule: Comics with NSFW material in the archives can be linked, as long as the link says the comic is sometimes NSFW. (This means Oglaf is linkable when it is postable.)
    • Rule: The global "no shitposting" rule has generally been interpreted to mean "post comics you genuinely like" and don't flame others for posting things you don't like.
    • Suggestion: Link to the comic, either by linking the image or putting the link below the image.
    • There is not an official position on whether comics should be rehosted before they are posted.
    • There is also not an official position on whether you need to include alt-text or accompanying newspsots.
    • And finally, stop gettin' mad about webcomics.

I tried searching for concrete proof, but unfortunately that proved to be a giant pain. I know sometimes the old image-based rules SabreMau made back in the day get posted, but some of the info is out-of-date (like the rule about linking to NSFW comic has changed over the years).

For the items with the "not an official position", I just meant I can't recall the mods saying anything one or the other. I do not really intend to start a debate about that here, as there are arguments that cut both ways.

Remember to add the rule about not posting comics you don't like (and not shitting on others for posting comics you don't like). It's the least you could do, I feel, unless you want people to keep posting funny web comics day by day.

That should cover it, though. I think.

Revised.

That said, since I'm not a mod I'm trying to tread carefully, so hopefully it's not too bold.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    nm

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    On the subject of rules,

I feel like linking back to the webcomic you are posting should be codified into a hard rule.

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    Something I've been wondering about is if we should try to make a list of the rules that govern this fair thread and post them in the OP. This is what I came up with:
    Webcomic thread rules and suggestions
    • Rule: NSFW comics cannot be posted, even if censored.
    • Rule: Comics with NSFW material in the archives can be linked, as long as the link says the comic is sometimes NSFW. (This means Oglaf is linkable when it is postable.)
    • Rule: The global "no shitposting" rule has generally been interpreted to mean "post comics you genuinely like" and don't flame others for posting things you don't like.
    • Suggestion: Link to the comic, either by linking the image or putting the link below the image.
    • There is not an official position on whether comics should be rehosted before they are posted.
    • There is also not an official position on whether you need to include alt-text or accompanying newspsots.
    • And finally, stop gettin' mad about webcomics.

I tried searching for concrete proof, but unfortunately that proved to be a giant pain. I know sometimes the old image-based rules SabreMau made back in the day get posted, but some of the info is out-of-date (like the rule about linking to NSFW comic has changed over the years).

For the items with the "not an official position", I just meant I can't recall the mods saying anything one or the other. I do not really intend to start a debate about that here, as there are arguments that cut both ways.

Remember to add the rule about not posting comics you don't like (and not shitting on others for posting comics you don't like). It's the least you could do, I feel, unless you want people to keep posting funny web comics day by day.

That should cover it, though. I think.

Revised.

That said, since I'm not a mod I'm trying to tread carefully, so hopefully it's not too bold.

I think your good. Those are pretty much the rules as they have been cobbled together over the years by various edicts from the mods, at least as far as I understand this crazy thread.

Haha I think the last time someone actually put the rules in the OP of the thread was way back when Sabermau got us the thread back after a break. Unless you count that one comics only, no talking thread.

This discussion has been closed.