As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DADDY ISSUES (also itt hells of player-hatin' on mormons)

• Options
    Mr. ShineMr. Shine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    I think religion is pretty important, if you believe in it. Don't say you believe something and then not practise what it requires.

I had a HUUUUGE problem with doing Confirmation, because at that time I wholly rejected religion and Catholicism in particular so the very idea of Confirmation (making the adult choice to serve the Church) seemed directly hypocritical and a lie.

My mother's argument was basically "Just do this for me, and if after, you decide something else, then fine. But have your bases covered"

mom i am pretty sure that is not how sacraments work.

But I did it anyway because I didn't want to fight with her about it.

Man, I basically got confirmed just so I couldn't ever have to go to church again, except and Christmas and Easter.

People used to be like, Why wasn't he in church? Now they're all, He's such a nice boy.

Mr. Shine on
    Yeah your alias says your captain Jean-Luc Picard of the United Federation of Planets, 'cause he won't speak English anyway.
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    One fiddy, why...why John C. Calhoun? He's like, Dr. Doom in Presidential form.

Fedora on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited September 2007
    CHRIS

Whippy on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think religion is pretty important, if you believe in it. Don't say you believe something and then not practise what it requires.

I had a HUUUUGE problem with doing Confirmation, because at that time I wholly rejected religion and Catholicism in particular so the very idea of Confirmation (making the adult choice to serve the Church) seemed directly hypocritical and a lie.

My mother's argument was basically "Just do this for me, and if after, you decide something else, then fine. But have your bases covered"

I did the opposite

my mom still likes to act like i've been confirmed though

although this is the same mother who hit me on the head with a dinner knife tonite for picking up a piece of bread with my teeth.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    my grandmother did to my father pretty much the same things that 150 is talking about

most notably she told him, after his dog was ran over and killed right in front of him, that God was punishing him for being bad

i think he was 8 at the time

that is pretty much why we ignore religion at my house, there are better things i could do with my time

tugga on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My father calls himself an Apatheist.

"An atheist doesn't believe. An agnostic doesn't know. An apatheist doesn't care."

How many varities do there need to be? Can't you either just believe or don't?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know...

When you're an adult, you shouldn't be afraid to just come out and talk about your views if someone really confronts you about it or just asks.

I guess I'm saying this from a rather comfortable position, my family is pretty tolerant, but hell, if my conservative Christian employer asked me up front what religion I was I would tell them.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    ReTardisReTardis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tugga wrote: »
    im like the only person that i know that doesnt go to church/believe in much among my friends/co-workers

its rough being agnostic (i guess thats what you would call me) in the buckle of the bible belt
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=fa6fSkTwMPA

i live in a neighbourhood exactly like this

WASPs everywhere

getting nasty letters in the mail from people we don't even know because they didn't see me in church gets tiring

I'm sure someone has asked you this before, Teefs, but why do you always link through the Dutch version of Youtube?
    for some reason my youtube account is stuck in dutch, if I could change it I will because i cannot read the messages I get

Aha! Well, the more you know and all that.

ReTardis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

I did the opposite

although this is the same mother who hit me on the head with a dinner knife tonite for picking up a piece of bread with my teeth.

Why would you do that

Green on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Most Christians I know are acceptant people. Just so happens that most of them(re: the older ones) are bigoted, racist, etc.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    epu5502.jpg

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Belruel wrote: »
    150cc wrote: »
    my family is mormon D:

when my batshit crazy grandma found out i wasn't mormon anymore she sat there gaping like a fish, then said in a voice that sounded forced:

"Don't worry, you're still my granddaughter."

haha, as if i care.

Belruel do you still wear the sacred underpants

They will protect you from harm you know

(for serious how did you stop being a mormon, that is pretty near impossible to be able to do)

they still try and get me back, if they ever really start being obsessive again i'll just get excommunicated and shut their mouths. my parents still call it "the church" (as in "he is a member of "the church") and talk to me as though i am a member. but oh man, am i ever not.

How in the world did you get away from the Mormon brainwashing

Mormon brainwashing is some of the best because Mormonism is all about what you're feeling and if you feel like it's right it must be true

"I have a burning in my bosom that tells me Mormonism is right so don't you go showing me rational evidence that Joe Smith was a crook and that early Mormons were asshats"

Don't get me wrong I like how nice Mormons are except for the fact that they are often nice in the way Christians are: nice because they have to be, and nice in a pretentious we're better than you way

haha, i know exactly what you are talking about. i figured out it was all bullshit once and for all when i was 15, i was in 'young womens' and they blatently said to my face "women should only live in the home, and it is their duty to have as many children as their husband may want." also "women may not enter 'the highest level of heaven' (best heaven planet) unless they are 'sealed' to a male holder of the mechelzadick priesthood."

fuck that noise.

Got to have lots of babies so those spirit children in space from Kolob have bodies to inhabit

Three cheers for you belruel way to go, you are so in the minority

(I am having a great time watching this documentary where this Australian guy goes to Salt Lake City and goes door to door "athiest evangelizing" to Mormons and giving them a taste of their own medicine, it is hilarious)

I don't live in Utah but I do live right next to Mesa Arizona, which is pretty much the biggest Mormon population in one spot outside of the beehive state

150cc on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It drives my mother nuts that, while religiously I am Buddhist, I still consider myself Jewish and I am proud of my Jewish heritage.

But I don't call myself Catholic.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It drives my mother nuts that, while religiously I am Buddhist, I still consider myself Jewish and I am proud of my Jewish heritage.

But I don't call myself Catholic.

You think that's bad, my best friend was raised Jewish, then started studying every religion under the sun(including Satanism for a time, and that religion creeps me out), and now he's atheist(I think).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was raised by a bunch of agnostics, and threads like these make me really grateful for it.

However, I know this girl who has like this ultraconservative fundie family. Man, I feel so sorry for her. Totally brainwashed, immune to facts.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Green wrote: »

I did the opposite

Why would you do that
    I honestly couldn't say

I just felt like doing it

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    my grandmother did to my father pretty much the same things that 150 is talking about

most notably she told him, after his dog was ran over and killed right in front of him, that God was punishing him for being bad

that is pretty much why we ignore religion at my house, there are better things i could do with my time

My all time favorite quote from my dad is when it was my thirteenth birthday and I was having a party with family and some good friends

And my dad says

CONGRATULATIONS, SON

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE WORST YEAR OF YOUR LIFE

Wow, happy birthday, thanks dad

150cc on
  • Options
    gray mattergray matter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Uriel wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Christian Hardcore band?

normajean0906.jpg

My god I had to see them live.

It sucked ass.

I'm late, but I just saw them for my second time. All they need to play is "Memphis Will Be Laid to Waste" and it's a good set, but other then that, their music isn't that great.

gray matter on
    GrayMatterSig.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As7 wrote: »
    You know...

When you're an adult, you shouldn't be afraid to just come out and talk about your views if someone really confronts you about it or just asks.

I guess I'm saying this from a rather comfortable position, my family is pretty tolerant, but hell, if my conservative Christian employer asked me up front what religion I was I would tell them.

Ahahaha.

Oh boy.

Phew.

I had to explain to my coworkers what agnosticism is.

About ten times.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

My all time favorite quote from my dad is when it was my thirteenth birthday and I was having a party with family and some good friends

And my dad says

CONGRATULATIONS, SON

He probably knew about the masturbating

13 was a rough year for everyone

all that chafing

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Green wrote: »

I did the opposite

Why would you do that
    I honestly couldn't say

I just felt like doing it

if i did that at my mothers table she would hit me too

and my mother despises religion

tugga on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Man tugga that is harsh

You said that to her dad

Man tugga

Them's cojones

Has anyone here had one of those stereotypical Christian girlfriends that is all NO NO CANNOT HAVE PENIS ENTER VAGINA but who is a total raunch machine once drinking anything

i had like 8 inches and about forty pounds on her dad to be fair

and she was a cunt

in what way was she one tuggers

the one who didnt realize that i had a full time job that paid not so very much and i dont have the money to be buying you steak dinners 3 times a week

and she tried to get me to go to mass and i was all 'WHOOOOAAAAAAA been nice.'

Oh yes, I know all about that

150cc on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Most Christians I know are acceptant people. Just so happens that most of them(re: the older ones) are bigoted, racist, etc.
    wait, what

redhead on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I've seen Five Iron Frenzy live twice.

They're amazing.

I've never seen any Christian hardcore bands live per se, but ska; plenty.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Mr. ShineMr. Shine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

And my dad says

CONGRATULATIONS, SON

Hahahahahahahaha was he right or what?

Mr. Shine on
    Yeah your alias says your captain Jean-Luc Picard of the United Federation of Planets, 'cause he won't speak English anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    redhead wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    wait, what

I phrased that badly.

The ones I'm friends with are cool people; most of the ones I see elsewhere, generally older ones, tend to be less acceptant.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Promo6.jpg

Whippy on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    my family is mormon D:

when my batshit crazy grandma found out i wasn't mormon anymore she sat there gaping like a fish, then said in a voice that sounded forced:

"Don't worry, you're still my granddaughter."

haha, as if i care.

Belruel do you still wear the sacred underpants

They will protect you from harm you know

(for serious how did you stop being a mormon, that is pretty near impossible to be able to do)

they still try and get me back, if they ever really start being obsessive again i'll just get excommunicated and shut their mouths. my parents still call it "the church" (as in "he is a member of "the church") and talk to me as though i am a member. but oh man, am i ever not.

How in the world did you get away from the Mormon brainwashing

Mormon brainwashing is some of the best because Mormonism is all about what you're feeling and if you feel like it's right it must be true

"I have a burning in my bosom that tells me Mormonism is right so don't you go showing me rational evidence that Joe Smith was a crook and that early Mormons were asshats"

Don't get me wrong I like how nice Mormons are except for the fact that they are often nice in the way Christians are: nice because they have to be, and nice in a pretentious we're better than you way

haha, i know exactly what you are talking about. i figured out it was all bullshit once and for all when i was 15, i was in 'young womens' and they blatently said to my face "women should only live in the home, and it is their duty to have as many children as their husband may want." also "women may not enter 'the highest level of heaven' (best heaven planet) unless they are 'sealed' to a male holder of the mechelzadick priesthood."

fuck that noise.

Got to have lots of babies so those spirit children in space from Kolob have bodies to inhabit

Three cheers for you belruel way to go, you are so in the minority

(I am having a great time watching this documentary where this Australian guy goes to Salt Lake City and goes door to door "athiest evangelizing" to Mormons and giving them a taste of their own medicine, it is hilarious)

I don't live in Utah but I do live right next to Mesa Arizona, which is pretty much the biggest Mormon population in one spot outside of the beehive state

haha, we used to go to utah every summer for a week to visit my mom's family, it was pretty bad. i told her last year that i wouldn't ever go up there again after all of the crazy shit that happened. she freaked out and the family went nuts.

my 'ward' (group of church people in my area) still try and get me to go to church again because i am 'inactive' (seriously, there's a list, and i am on it) and it gets really annoying. i remember being in church, and they cycle through the inactives list and chose one to bug for a month, then go to the next. if i thought they actually cared i might be nice, but i know its just a list to them so i've gotten rather harsh.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    gray mattergray matter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    During a break between songs, Haste the Day took time to inform me of Jesus and how he loves me.

gray matter on
    GrayMatterSig.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    13 was pretty much the worst year of my life so uh

man i don't know if your dad was off

Pony on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Told ya

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slowslow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Promo6.jpg
    Yes

The thread has reached its peak, I'm going to sleep

slow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

was this when you broke up with the thirty year old woman who was touching your peepee on a regular basis

Whippy on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My parents activly avoided religion entirely.

Moreso after my aunt threw a fit and told me that all my problems were because my parents never had me baptised and forced me to turn from the lord, so this was my punishment for their sins.

I was 6 or 7 and near death.

I told her to leave my room and not to come back.

My father clapped his hands like I did a backflip through a flaming hoop.

We didn't speak again for 18 years.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Promo6.jpg

as I was scrolling down to see this image my computer ws being slow because my antivirus is updating

And I saw the top of the dudes' hair

And I said to myself PLEASE LET THIS BE STRYPER

And then I continued scrolling down

AND

:O

150cc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    During a break between songs, Haste the Day took time to inform me of Jesus and how he loves me.

Shoot, even Outkast do that.

Sort of.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    HAHAHAHA

That's a summary of what 13 is like.

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Promo6.jpg

as I was scrolling down to see this image my computer ws being slow because my antivirus is updating

And I saw the top of the dudes' hair

And I said to myself PLEASE LET THIS BE STRYPER

And then I continued scrolling down

AND

:O

I love you like a man could never love a woman

Whippy on