edited September 2014
    To me there is a difference between "strong" and "capable"/"competent"

Strong implies an excess of potential force necessary

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    This fucking trailer, my god if the whole game has that sense of scale. Goddamnit Square

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3dyanB3pk

I have to admit I'm sort of curious about Final Fantasy: Boy Band

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Matt Smith is going to be in the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie, I'm fucking furious.

I really hope that new Terminator flick turns out to be awesome. Smith could be an incredible film star, he has the chops! He should call Karen Gillan's agent...

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    If you're too weak to do something like mild housework or a 30-minute drum set, then yes you're weak and that negatively impacts the potential direct and indirect pleasures you may be able to wring out of daily life

But not being weak doesn't automatically equal being strong

Eddy on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

now there's an interesting distinction

i wonder if that's cultural

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Half way through Cowboy Bebop now.

Not sure how I feel about alot of parts of this show. It frequently feels sloppy or underdeveloped.

But holy fuck, this sound track. It is literally fucking my ear canal to orgasmic bliss.

I think it is best when viewed as a series of short stories with an overarching plot in the background. I really like the main cast.

• Options
    Also, I ALMOST forgot how good Dragonfall is.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Looking muscly is definitely about appearance. If you are in a physically demanding job, you will develop strength to do the job. But you very likely won't look like someone who works out at the gym to look swole.

Or, basically, both sides are right.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    How much do you people think ripped upper class people make?

• Options
    Also, I don't think the bar for "strong enough to do what you need to for work or stuff around the house" is really that high.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    I exercise so that others don't have to.

Every generation has their champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

Not sure how I feel about alot of parts of this show. It frequently feels sloppy or underdeveloped.

But holy fuck, this sound track. It is literally fucking my ear canal to orgasmic bliss.

Cowboy Bebop is definitely sloppy and loose

But that's such like a core part of its nature I'm not sure I'd want it otherwise

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also, I don't think the bar for "strong enough to do what you need to for work or stuff around the house" is really that high.

I didn't either until I sank below it :(

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Sounds about right, the animation is also top fucking notch. By the time you're done it's just fantastic.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

I'm assuming something happened for that to occur beyond "I got lazy" though, yes?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Looking muscly is definitely about appearance. If you are in a physically demanding job, you will develop strength to do the job. But you very likely won't look like someone who works out at the gym to look swole.

Or, basically, both sides are right.

At this point the discussion has subtly shifted to what the threshold for acceptable physical capability for "most" people in developed countries is; and also what "strong" means

of course this is difficult due to the many variables and definitions at play here

Eddy on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I would like to be strong enough to lift and hold up a 200 pound man comfortably for an extended period of time - let's say, 30 minutes.

I can think of numerous practical, professional, and pleasurable scenarios in which that kind of strength would be super helpful.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Ahh, nothing like reading through a thread, getting to page 2/19 and getting ready to post something quick, only to see that magical message...

_J_ has been banned from this thread

It's like a little preview of coming attractions of J derailing yet another thread

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    what the

why am i interested in that final fantasy trailer

it must be the car

there's something that feels right about actually like, driving on a road even if the other ridiculous stuff is present

• Options

I'm assuming something happened for that to occur beyond "I got lazy" though, yes?

God, I wish.

I just got fat and lazy over the course of maybe 5 years. I just... didn't do any things. When I got within a couple pounds of 200lbs (I'm 5'8) we started turning things around... I'd say that was February? Around then. Diet change, and now exercise regime.

• Options
    The last couple episodes have really good music in them

Doesn't beat the awesome upbeat jazz that's pervasive in the first half of the series but it's comparable

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Matt Smith is going to be in the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie, I'm fucking furious.

eh, seems a step up from that british sci fi show he did at least
    barhtagshdlbjfkjL GET OUT

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Being fit helps a ton in day to day life, but really, how often do you have to move or lift something above say 40 pounds.

In 2014, I can think of only 2 of those objects for me, one of which was so large it needed 2 people anyway. The other was so heavy (massive 8 seat garden furniture ) it took 4 people.

I don't see how so few incidents would require me to train 3× per week for them.

Jobs, at least in the EU, limit lifting to about that amount, 23kg if I recall correctly. Now sure, if you do that all day every day you'll buff up.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I am at 176 now and losing my gut and need smaller pants now. I have not been tired while cooking for a couple months, ran my first mile the other day. Things are progressing!

• Options
    I mean I barely get any exercise at all right now, I'm in terrible shape and I have asthma and I'm at least 20 pounds overweight. I quite miss my dearly departed muscles

I still helped a neighbor pull out a couple of tree stumps the other day without much trouble at all.

I certainly couldn't have done that all day like if I was working landscaping or something, but there's a pretty big gulf between noticeably attractively muscular and 'weak'

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I feel like strong loses its usefulness if it starts to mean 'can stir food for 10 minutes'

I agree with eddy on the distinction from competent.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Being fit helps a ton in day to day life, but really, how often do you have to move or lift something above say 40 pounds.

Literally every day if you have two kids under age 5.

• Options
    The only immediate hangup that comes to mind re: cowboy bebop is that they might try to pack too much into a 26 ep series

it's too ambitious on some levels, and because of that, too shallow in others

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Ahh, nothing like reading through a thread, getting to page 2/19 and getting ready to post something quick, only to see that magical message...

It's like a little preview of coming attractions of J derailing yet another thread
    Threads being _J_'d is one of my favorite things about the forum.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

now there's an interesting distinction

i wonder if that's cultural

Possibly?

Because to get a bit political, I see Vladimir Putin as weak because of his willingness to use force over other other options.

• Options
    My weight is almost always the same, but my stomach always gets bigger.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    what the

it must be the car

there's something that feels right about actually like, driving on a road even if the other ridiculous stuff is present

I really like 7 and 8's meeting of fantasy and technology I totally understand where you are coming from.

• Options

God, I wish.

I just got fat and lazy over the course of maybe 5 years. I just... didn't do any things. When I got within a couple pounds of 200lbs (I'm 5'8) we started turning things around... I'd say that was February? Around then. Diet change, and now exercise regime.

Damn, really? I don't know, I guess it's been my experience with myself and people that I know that any rudimentary amount of physical activity in your life will leave you with enough strength to get by. As long as you play a sport or like walk/bike places or consistently do work around the house or something, people seem to get by. Maybe I just know fairly active people.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    what the

it must be the car

There's a game for this desire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P0Wk0wYnMM

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

Threads being _J_'d is one of my favorite things about the forum.

Let's not be rude to the guy in here though. That's not cool.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    There is a thing called adventure racing, yet it does not involve running with a weapon. Disappointing.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    what the

it must be the car

There's a game for this desire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P0Wk0wYnMM

nah, i mean in the sense that it doesn't feel right to go around on foot in final fantasy, and i only just realized it now

• Options
    I'm so not excited for FFXV. It looks pretty, though!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The only immediate hangup that comes to mind re: cowboy bebop is that they might try to pack too much into a 26 ep series

it's too ambitious on some levels, and because of that, too shallow in others

My only gripe was it seemed like there was a really deep backstory you just had to kind of infer from scraps they gave you.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    that trailer got me more excited that I'd expect to be considering I never play FF games

time will tell

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.