Options

Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's [chat]

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    It doesn't make much more sense to me to be in a pristine sports car when there are giant animals, diverse terrain and all kinds of shit. The ground clearance on a fancy car like that and it's ability to handle off road would be shit for cross country driving.

If they were in a fucking jeep or on a hovercraft I might give it a pass.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I feel like strong loses its usefulness if it starts to mean 'can stir food for 10 minutes'

I agree with eddy on the distinction from competent.

Depends how vigorous you are being.

Whipping a batch of cream or something by hand requires some goddamn muscles.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Also, I don't think the bar for "strong enough to do what you need to for work or stuff around the house" is really that high.

I didn't either until I sank below it :(

I'm assuming something happened for that to occur beyond "I got lazy" though, yes?

God, I wish.

I just got fat and lazy over the course of maybe 5 years. I just... didn't do any things. When I got within a couple pounds of 200lbs (I'm 5'8) we started turning things around... I'd say that was February? Around then. Diet change, and now exercise regime.

Damn, really? I don't know, I guess it's been my experience with myself and people that I know that any rudimentary amount of physical activity in your life will leave you with enough strength to get by. As long as you play a sport or like walk/bike places or consistently do work around the house or something, people seem to get by. Maybe I just know fairly active people.

I drove everywhere, sat at a desk all day and then came home and sat at a desk all night. I couldn't run 4 houses down the block to get the mail without gasping for air. Didn't play a sport, didn't walk to any places if I could avoid it.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Garthor wrote: »
    Regarding Dark Souls 1 being shit because skeletons:

The skeletons are the wrong way. That way is a dead end. You're supposed to go the other way.

I figured it out, after two hours of fruitlessly dying.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Kana wrote: »
    Ahh, nothing like reading through a thread, getting to page 2/19 and getting ready to post something quick, only to see that magical message...

_J_ has been banned from this thread

It's like a little preview of coming attractions of J derailing yet another thread

Avoiding that thread like the plague

I already know I'm going to agree with the general sentiment of the thread and the times where I'd have something to add odds are very high that someone will have already covered it

20 pages of nodding my head in agreement does not make for a good read

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    The only immediate hangup that comes to mind re: cowboy bebop is that they might try to pack too much into a 26 ep series

it's too ambitious on some levels, and because of that, too shallow in others

That's sorta the feel I'm getting. It feels like there's good ideas in here and some good execution, but often there's just not enough time in each episode and so it feels underdeveloped. And at this point I'm 13 episodes in and 13 to go and I feel like we've just barely established the setting and relationships.

• Options
    I feel like strong loses its usefulness if it starts to mean 'can stir food for 10 minutes'

This is truth.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the social elements in that driveclub game feel very forced

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Ahh, nothing like reading through a thread, getting to page 2/19 and getting ready to post something quick, only to see that magical message...

_J_ has been banned from this thread

It's like a little preview of coming attractions of J derailing yet another thread
    Threads being _J_'d is one of my favorite things about the forum.
    Let's not be rude to the guy in here though. That's not cool.
    I'm not being rude, I love _J_!

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    what the

why am i interested in that final fantasy trailer

it must be the car

there's something that feels right about actually like, driving on a road even if the other ridiculous stuff is present

I really like 7 and 8's meeting of fantasy and technology I totally understand where you are coming from.

yeah seriously, 8 i feel nailed the mix well for my tastes until later in the game and this looks to capture what i liked about it

• Options
    The only immediate hangup that comes to mind re: cowboy bebop is that they might try to pack too much into a 26 ep series

it's too ambitious on some levels, and because of that, too shallow in others

That's sorta the feel I'm getting. It feels like there's good ideas in here and some good execution, but often there's just not enough time in each episode and so it feels underdeveloped. And at this point I'm 13 episodes in and 13 to go and I feel like we've just barely established the setting and relationships.

It does feel rushed in places

But it's still p fantastic overall

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    In terms of conventional storytelling, Samurai Champloo was "better" in that its theme and end were immediately apparent from the first episode, and so there was a clear arc in sight and all that even with the frequent detours. CB's narrative arc and individual eps reflect its overall motifs and themes as well as SC did, but the problem is that the theme is primarily about trying to find a sense of peace in a world that no longer has a place for the protagonists ... and so it's really vignettey, disconnected, lonely, etc

(It may be that this was a coincidental match of aimless, filler-heavy writer-scrambling that is mainstream anime to a similar creative theme, but that's unlikely given the specifically limited number of eps they planned for)

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    status of sous vide steak: amazing 10/10 will vacuum seal and put in water bath again

• Options
    what the

why am i interested in that final fantasy trailer

it must be the car

there's something that feels right about actually like, driving on a road even if the other ridiculous stuff is present

I really like 7 and 8's meeting of fantasy and technology I totally understand where you are coming from.

yeah seriously, 8 i feel nailed the mix well for my tastes until later in the game and this looks to capture what i liked about it

8 had a cool setting

pretty much hated everything else about it tho

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Also, I don't think the bar for "strong enough to do what you need to for work or stuff around the house" is really that high.

I'm assuming something happened for that to occur beyond "I got lazy" though, yes?

God, I wish.

I just got fat and lazy over the course of maybe 5 years. I just... didn't do any things. When I got within a couple pounds of 200lbs (I'm 5'8) we started turning things around... I'd say that was February? Around then. Diet change, and now exercise regime.

Damn, really? I don't know, I guess it's been my experience with myself and people that I know that any rudimentary amount of physical activity in your life will leave you with enough strength to get by. As long as you play a sport or like walk/bike places or consistently do work around the house or something, people seem to get by. Maybe I just know fairly active people.

I drove everywhere, sat at a desk all day and then came home and sat at a desk all night. I couldn't run 4 houses down the block to get the mail without gasping for air. Didn't play a sport, didn't walk to any places if I could avoid it.

I guess I started to get a bit of this over the summer with my new job. Summer is usually my low activity time and I used to supplement it a bit with other things but this summer was crazy and my suit was fitting kinda tight around the ass come august.

Back to my normal schedule now so hopefully it'll loosen up again. I kinda dread moving back to Toronto and out to the burbs. So much sitting on my ass in a car.

shryke on
  • Options
    People didn't like 8 because they didn't realize how effortlessly and hilariously you could break the game harder than FF6.

A lot of people played it when they were kids and it was just complex enough to make someone young just grind and level all the enemy encounters instead of drawing and levelling the right stuff to make all the fights trivial.

• Options
    status of sous vide steak: amazing 10/10 will vacuum seal and put in water bath again

Sous-vide is the shit if you've got the rig and the time.

• Options
    8 is still my favorite.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Anywho who cares about themes, dat music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1W73LgNCJs

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

This is truth.

I saw a graet video from Jaime Oliver on how to change the angle of your arm while whipping something to move the strain from one muscle to the next so you could whip continuously without getting jello-arms.

• Options

God, I wish.

I started to get a bit of this over the summer with my new job. Summer is usually my low activity time and I used to supplement it a bit with other things but this summer was crazy and my suit was fitting kinda tight around the ass come august.

Back to my normal schedule now so hopefully it'll loosen up again. I kinda dread moving back to Toronto and out to the burbs. So much sitting on my ass in a car.

It feels really good to have pants falling off me that I bought because I was too fat for my current wardrobe. It also feels really good to be able to do something like "oh shit I left the thing in the car in long term parking, I'll just run all the way there and then back to the terminal, no big deal".

Sex also better, fwiw. Belasco has lost a similar amount of weight and though her workout results are coming more slowly because of needing to manage FM, they are happening.

• Options
    Anywho who cares about themes, dat music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1W73LgNCJs

This song was just playing and is the shit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDWfD2VEQI

• Options

This is truth.

I saw a graet video from Jaime Oliver on how to change the angle of your arm while whipping something to move the strain from one muscle to the next so you could whip continuously without getting jello-arms.

give dis, I need it lol

making vinaigrette will wreck my shit

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Being fit helps a ton in day to day life, but really, how often do you have to move or lift something above say 40 pounds.

Literally every day if you have two kids under age 5.

Made me curious and looked it up, children only reach that when they are above 5 years old. By that time you've had 5 years to practice.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    In terms of conventional storytelling, Samurai Champloo was "better" in that its theme and end were immediately apparent from the first episode, and so there was a clear arc in sight and all that even with the frequent detours. CB's narrative arc and individual eps reflect its overall motifs and themes as well as SC did, but the problem is that the theme is primarily about trying to find a sense of peace in a world that no longer has a place for the protagonists ... and so it's really vignettey, disconnected, lonely, etc

(It may be that this was a coincidental match of aimless, filler-heavy writer-scrambling that is mainstream anime to a similar creative theme, but that's unlikely given the specifically limited number of eps they planned for)

Iunno, episodes like Pierre le Fou are as fillery as can be, but are just fantastic. It's just an episodic show mostly, it's best to just enjoy it as that.

There are still a fair share of eps that are tied into the core theme of letting the past go and moving on, as well. They just don't really feel apparent until you hit Spike's finale, which is him being unable to do the same

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I am going to have to watch Cowboy Bebop again now.

• Options
    i'm guessing it's akin to The Situation's patented hand gesture

• Options
    Being fit helps a ton in day to day life, but really, how often do you have to move or lift something above say 40 pounds.

Made me curious and looked it up, children only reach that when they are above 5 years old. By that time you've had 5 years to practice.

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set1clinical/cj41l021.pdf

two kids aged 4 and 2 will be 50-60lbs total, on average.

yes you will definitely be picking up both your kids at the same time on a daily basis when they are that age. :)

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    It doesn't make much more sense to me to be in a pristine sports car when there are giant animals, diverse terrain and all kinds of shit. The ground clearance on a fancy car like that and it's ability to handle off road would be shit for cross country driving.

nah dogg

final fantasy has always had stupidly pretty heroes

it's just that this time one of them is the car

• Options
    edited September 2014
    spoilers kana you monster

yeah the secondary theme is letting go of the past but that goes back to my earlier comment about how friggin ambitious the whole series is, trying to address all three of these things (the past / personal niche / yo check out this super fucking cool gutterpunk world) in the span of what, 12 hours? I agree with your general premise but I would like to add that they succeeded in evoking the feeling of figuring yourself out in a disinterested world and that there is a decent evolution on that front for most of the main cast

Eddy on
  • Options

yes you will definitely be picking up both your kids at the same time on a daily basis when they are that age. :)

And that doesn't even cover the 100lbs of shit you gotta carry when you have kids.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

still not where I'd go with my word choice

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2014

And that doesn't even cover the 100lbs of shit you gotta carry when you have kids.

Yes I didn't even mention the army rucksack full of paraphernalia in case of basic emergencies like "I'm hungry" or "I went poo poo" or the 40lb stroller you're hefting into and out of the trunk 6 times per trip that they won't even get in so you just use it to hold all the shopping while they both try to escape from your arms even if that means a head-first drop onto the concrete parking garage floor...

spool32 on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i watched gattaca for the first time with puppies

jude law is delightful

• Options
    @skippydumptruck you need to start lifting bro

• Options
    Jude Law is so charming but vulnerable and sad in that movie

hungry in a very british way

jude law.......

• Options

nah dogg

final fantasy has always had stupidly pretty heroes

it's just that this time one of them is the car

You're right.

I'm sorry.

I thought "car" was a registered trademark of EA but maybe Squeenix got the rights to make their own hero "car"

And knowing how the new FF games are, "car" might be the best character after all.

• Options
    Also realtalk nerd confession, I think my favorite anime ever is still FLCL

Like once you scrape past all the surface nonsense and sexual double entendres, at its core it's a story about a 6th grade boy who doesn't want to grow up because all the men he knows are awful to women. His dad is sleazy as fuck, his grandpa is an ass.

The classmate who has a crush on him is getting dropped off by her dad's ex-secretary, who he was cheating on her mom with until he got a divorce and married the hot young secretary. Her favorite story is Puss in Boots because Puss makes something come true by pretending really really hard that it's the truth.

Meanwhile the kid's older friend is a high school dropout, possibly a homeless runaway, and occasionally using him for sexual exploration that he's not really comfortable with.

That show sort of had to be super hyper because otherwise it's depressing as fuck

• Options
    When I was in ... middle school? Someone tried to show me FLCL

I was like why are there all these panty shots this is stupid

and then I hated anime forever.

This discussion has been closed.